Author Topic: Some questions about exile  (Read 14883 times)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: Some questions about exile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2008, 08:36:30 AM »
I feel like I've explained why I edited Uber's signature.  I had warned him a couple of times- see the links I posted earlier, so that argument is just BS.  I didn't remove anything from his signature- I added in the message.
The discussion continiued with imaginary situations, I think this one was handled decently well.

I felt like adding the message was less of an offense than wiping it clean.
I share this opinion.

From now on I'll just wipe a signature if it's overly offensive instead of taking out the offending part.  Definitely easier on my part- I just know how bitchy they can be to format and I'd hate to see my work go away, but if that is the general consensus I'll go in that direction.
Gave my answer to this already...

Josh: Asking Kaelik for a PM or email won't work, private discussions is disrespectful and impolite towards the other participant. (Okay, I was a bit too hasty, Kaelik discussed this too.)

Quote from: PhoenixInferno
Oh, so those massive masturbation sessions Josh has are what then?
Even Meg says the forum is managed by three people, herself, AfterCrescent and Kai.

Handy Links

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2008, 11:29:23 AM »
For background, Kaelik and I have shared a couple of PM's, me asking for his suggestions and information and links to some accusations because I'm taking them seriously.  After several fairly harshly worded pm's I said that I don't want to make a hasty judgment, but I believe actions are being taken because of the tone not the message.

Now everyone is caught up.  The rest of this assertion is coming from my public posts. 

No, I did not. And when I pointed out the fact that I disobeyed no mod voice instruction, I was told to shut up and "learn my lesson." I then asked what lesson I should be learning, and the question was completely ignored, because the fact is their is no lesson to learn that Meg could tell me that wouldn't make her sound like an utter bitch.

This again illustrates your problem.  1) Your tone is, let's say, not appropriate if you are actually trying to get something done.  This has nothing to do with pissing me or a mod off- this has to do with the way you are communicating as a human being.  My advice about asking in a reasonable tone is to help you in life.  Are you going to tell a possible employer to give you the fucking job, you moron?  Are you going to ask for a hamburger at a fast food place the same way and expect to get one spit-free?  This is completely inappropriate.  Why would I, as a person, not as a mod, possibly want to help you when you say things like this? 

2) I can barely tell what you are referring to.  You've proven to me that you keep missing the point and are taking things completely out of context and are much too sensitive about what is happening.  You thought the fact that the member group for everyone involved changed names from No Karma to No Fu for You was a personal attack and mockery of you.  This shows me that you aren't getting the information you need before making a snap judgment.

You were told to learn your lesson about just the instructions in this thread.  I said that anyone who kept complaining about this minor issue of loosing fu temporarily would probably loose the ability to access fu for good.  And from my perspective, that's exactly what is happening.

The whole issue with Uber and fu has been explained in great detail.  It had nothing at all to do with making anyone upset.  It's a minor issue that shouldn't have made anyone upset.  Don't abuse the system but giving or taking points just because someone asked for it.  Very simple.  Say, "ok, now I know" and move on. 

The whole idea of pissing me off being an offense... go back and read what you wrote.  Seriously.  That is completely, utterly out of line.  But attacking me isn't against the rules.  Causing a disruption on the boards is what will get you (plural you) kicked off. 

Why would we want to keep anyone around who just brought the whole community down?  That's what the mods and I weigh-- how much of a disruption is a person causing?  Are you pissing just me off?  Probably.  So minor disruption.  If you start pissing off large numbers though and it isn't balanced with what you are contributing, there is no reason to keep you around.

This is the rule of every online forum- they all just have different ways to word it. 

Could Meg admit that she was just attempting to solve the problem as effectively as possible and that unfortunately involves stripping privileges temporarily? Sure, but she could have admitted that before telling me to shut up and "learn my lesson" so it's not likely.
  Go see the posts I linked.  I said it 4 times before stripping the power.  What my question is (a serious question), what else could I have done? 
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2008, 12:25:11 PM »
Go see the posts I linked.  I said it 4 times before stripping the power.  What my question is (a serious question), what else could I have done?

Did a single person give Uber more then 1 neg because he asked? Did a single person give him negs after you edited his sig? After they knew it wasn't allowed? Why did you have to "do" anything.

You stripped Fu from a bunch of people that did something they didn't know they weren't supposed to do. Did it actually prevent anything? Or was it just a punishment?

You passed a retroactive law and then arrested all the people who broke it before it was passed. Why not just pass the law and then trust people to follow it?

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2008, 12:40:47 PM »
Please read what I've written--

I said I believe 3 times in the threads I felt most appropriate (the one where Uber created a thread asking for negative fu and the thread about gfu) not to give him negative fu because he asked.  And then I stripped the power.  The sig was after the fact to prevent more people.

Beyond that, the multiple threads on gfu outline what it should be used for.  The rules about what it is and what it isn't have been clearly established long long long before this situation. 

This wasn't the first time I took the power away- it's a minor mechanic and it shouldn't be a big deal that it is taken.  The use of fu was established and it should've been clear that giving or taking points just because someone asks is against the spirit of the system and would be considered abuse. 

But once again, this is done and passed.  It happened.  Don't give or take because someone asks.  Don't take points because you're on a vendetta with someone.  Award gameology for those who deserve it and take it when they do something that is against it. 

This isn't a big deal- I don't quite understand why you're still arguing it.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2008, 03:35:16 PM »
it's a minor mechanic and it shouldn't be a big deal that it is taken

+1. Seriously, what's the big deal? So you can't change some numbers that have little to no impact on the day-to-day functioning of the boards. Oh noes.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2008, 03:50:57 PM »
it's a minor mechanic and it shouldn't be a big deal that it is taken

+1. Seriously, what's the big deal? So you can't change some numbers that have little to no impact on the day-to-day functioning of the boards. Oh noes.
Quote from: Ubernoob
Over from here
Which is odd. The whole panda thing? Get Elennsar to realize that Fu really doesn't matter so he would stop his drivel from derailing threads. The "icing on the cake" was me actively trying to solve a problem. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at that the icing on the cake was me actively helping.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2008, 05:25:27 PM »
Whether I think it's worthless or not has nothing to do with whether I think it's wise or acceptable to ignore the explicit instructions of a moderator or Admin, if that's what you're getting at. I have my opinions on matters, but I know where I stand in the hierarchy around here. I also happen to know that pissing off the people above me in that hierarchy is not the way to get stuff done.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2008, 05:39:33 PM »
So where in the hierarchy do you stand? Also, what does the rest of that hierarchy look like?

Handy Links

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2008, 07:05:31 PM »
Fairly low. Admins, mods, and then normal users ranked in order of contributions and apparent sanity. I don't actually know what that particular order is, but I do know that I, at least, hardly contribute enough to rank very high. And I'm obviously not completely fit to judge my own sanity (nobody is, for obvious reasons).

Hierarchy may not be the appropriate word, but it's close enough. The admins own the place, and they delegate some of their authority to mods to run it. It should be assumed that they're competent until proven otherwise. If they're not, or you assume they're not, there's not much point posting on their boards. As for other users, how much weight their word carries is based on how valuable they have, in the past, demonstrated themselves to be to the boards. Assholes tend to be given less weight than their politer counterparts, just as a fact of human nature. So it doesn't make sense to be an asshole unless you want people to ignore you.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's fine to disagree with authority. Disagree, but still do it until you convince the people in authority that you're right. Or else be prepared to deal with the consequences. That's pretty much how most rules work.

EDIT: Ah ha, I think I've figured out the distinction I kept wanting to make but couldn't figure out how to say. I mean all this with regards to forum policy. With regards to anything else, admins and mods should be treated just like everyone else. And when you disagree with forum policy, talk about it civilly and in the correct place, because doing it any other way is just stupid.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 07:39:50 PM by Bauglir »

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 10:14:58 AM »
So that's the sort of hierarchy you meant. I figured every user was equal in their respective opinions and such, but you were talking about a different thing altogether.

Handy Links

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
Oh, yes. In terms of validity of opinions, I agree with you. That has nothing to do with how much power a given person has or how much they are trusted by those with power (which is effectively having power, come to think of it).

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2008, 11:20:52 PM »
so can be vote meg off the island?

not that i want to vote one of the only two or three girls off, im just askin..:)

im glad my mrs hasnt ask who the strange mouth on my facebook is..

anyway... what were the guidelines for getting banned again?

heh , ima go make a thread in honor of this thread..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2008, 11:48:57 PM »
so can be vote meg off the island?

Well, she is only the one to run and pay for the site.
I don't see why it's unreasonable to ask her not to be on it... :smirk

anyway... what were the guidelines for getting banned again?

The guidelines aren't set in stone, but there are a couple of things that get cracked down on.
Spam accounts get banned
Long-term douchebaggery will result in a ban, but it's not really easy to pull off.

The judgement inevitably goes to the BG group, so there is an element of how much you piss them off personally, but Meg works really hard to deal with the issues that people bring to her.

At least, that's how I see it...

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 12:17:52 AM »
You a moderator, Dan2 ?
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2008, 08:50:05 AM »
You a moderator, Dan2 ?
As his status says.

Handy Links

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2008, 02:46:16 PM »
You a moderator, Dan2 ?
Yep.

Decided that I'd like to help out the community.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2008, 02:52:07 PM »
TheChrisWaits seems to be one as well. Did anyone else get appointed?

Handy Links

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2008, 03:10:45 PM »
Tshern, our forum P.I. ;)
Those are our two new moderators.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »
You a moderator, Dan2 ?
As his status says.
That will teach me to rely on implicit communication. :)

I noticed it on his status... so this was an invitation to discuss the topic since no announcement was made.

edit: and of course AC ninja's me with said announcement. :surrender
edit2: not so actually - http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.msg83082#msg83082
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 03:15:56 PM by Omen of Peace »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson