Author Topic: Interesting article  (Read 1523 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Interesting article
« on: November 10, 2008, 02:03:11 PM »
The role of the mods, etc. hasn't been fully sorted out, so I thought some of the articles from this site might be useful:

Deviance in Online Communities
How to Resolve Conflict Online

EDIT: Those two pages were samples. Click "this site".
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 07:13:55 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
Re: Interesting article
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:51:50 PM »
Awesome. I'll be taking a look at both. Thanks, Prime32.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:35:30 AM »
Awesome. I'll be taking a look at both. Thanks, Prime32.
Both? There's far more than those two...
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 06:34:44 PM »
The 'both' was based off of the number of links...  :-\
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 06:59:04 PM »
While skimming the first I came across the idea of a "time out" room.

What if instead of banning, when people do something "bad" they are sent to time out

Not sure if it's even possible, but let's say it is.  They essentially loose all posting privledges except:
1) They can see all boards but can only post in the time out room.  This room will have the rules, examples of positive posting behavior and can even be the place where the DoW or whatever it is is held- the article says this can backfire because the offender doesn't get to explain, but in this board they could explain and work through the issue until the time lapse or we feel they have transformed.

Or

2) They can't see any boards except for this one board.  Maybe it is read only?  I think this may cause frustration, but an option.

This way we don't have to worry about someone going on a warpath, but they sitll get a chance to defend themselves and maybe show that it was just a case of miscommunication?

This should really be in the "Debates about specific topics" area.  I'll move it there!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 07:00:29 PM »
Now that this thread is here- as you are reading through these articles, do you see any ideas that you feel we could institute here?  Anything just seem neat even if you don't know how it would work? 

Let this thread be an open dialoge about the ideas presented by others in these articles (or others) on how to run/ manage/ interact in an online community.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!