Author Topic: What videogames inspire you?  (Read 13149 times)

Shigunaru

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • I am your "friend"
    • Email
Re: What videogames inspire you?
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 05:29:37 PM »
Fallout and Fallout II.

I love to play Dark Sun, and this games are a infinite font of inspiration.
Posting guidelines. Read 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 05:58:16 PM »
Chaos Legion, .hack//G.U., Drakengard, Devil May Cry, Xenosaga, Skies of Arcadia, Guilty Gear, the list goes on. I lack a life, and my Walmart is sold out of them.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 06:42:12 PM »
Walmart is sold out of them.
Go to the supercenter. They have everything.

On note: I find inspiration from every game I play. Even the bad ones. Although my classics are Earthbound & Secret of Mana.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 07:02:23 PM »
Walmart is sold out of them.
Go to the supercenter. They have everything.

On note: I find inspiration from every game I play. Even the bad ones. Although my classics are Earthbound & Secret of Mana.

I would, but I live in Florida. The closest one is a 2-hour drive from my house, and I don't own a car due to my lack of life.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

StruckingFuggle

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 05:57:39 AM »
It might be really hard to convert it to D&D, but what about converting it to its own D20 system? I love the game, and I've noticed that all percentiles are in 5% increments, basically 1 in 20. Just a thought. There are enough classes and such to be able to do it. I'd actually take my time to learn that system too :wink

Well then, happy awesomeday.

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 01:26:34 AM »
AVP2
GTA 4
Doom 3
Hitman (all)
Dungeon Master

I am often motivated by the weirdest things. Dungeon Master is a good one though.
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 06:48:17 PM »
Heck, where do I start? Not even mentioning that Final Fantasy VI was the first console RPG I ever played...

We once almost ran a nWoD campaign based off Gungrave. I sketched up a Brave/Faith system as a tentative fix to the 3.5 caster conundrum, and a lot of my characters tend to have inspirations drawn from a combination of Heavy Metal and whatever I happen to be playing at the moment.

Chaos Legion, .hack//G.U., Drakengard, Devil May Cry, Xenosaga, Skies of Arcadia, Guilty Gear, the list goes on. I lack a life, and my Walmart is sold out of them.

We really need a headbanger emoticon. On its absence, this will have to do.

:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

And hey, when you don't have a girlfriend or money, it's better having a lack of a life than a lacking life.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 06:49:26 PM »
Heck, where do I start? Not even mentioning that Final Fantasy VI was the first console RPG I ever played...

We once almost ran a nWoD campaign based off Gungrave. I sketched up a Brave/Faith system as a tentative fix to the 3.5 caster conundrum, and a lot of my characters tend to have inspirations drawn from a combination of Heavy Metal and whatever I happen to be playing at the moment.

We really need a headbanger emoticon. On its absence, this will have to do.

:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

And hey, when you don't have a girlfriend or money, it's better having a lack of a life than a lacking life.

Ah, but having a life would mean I also have a job, and that would allow me to spend money. Something I need to do to support my needs.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Felix1459

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 07:07:56 PM »
All GTA's, all Hitman series, Halo, Max Payne, Dead Rising, Kane & Lynch, Assaassins Creed, Prince of Persia and God of War.
Villains have the master plan & Heroes have no choice

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »
All GTA's, all Hitman series, Halo, Max Payne, Dead Rising, Kane & Lynch, Assaassins Creed, Prince of Persia and God of War.

What's the word I'm looking for? Oh yeah! KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

[spoiler][/spoiler]

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 10:24:29 PM »
The Legend of Zelda was one of the first to inspire me, but more recently games like Fallout 2 really make me wanna dig out my d20 Apocalypse books.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2008, 11:48:11 AM »
At the risk of being called a fanboy... Final Fantasy Tactics. An amazing game (and actually the only reason that I would buy a PSP right now). I am thinking about converting some classes to DnD, but I didn't get it right (yet).... maybe because I would have to create entire ToB disciplines....

The MMORPG Lineage 2 is, in a way, almost DnD with another name. And also gets me thinking about classes, spells,and such...

YEAH!

Also, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, just for sheer awesome. I love character builds, and Yellow Jester is just too cool. I'm working on his build now.

Also, the generic answer of Final Fantasy (IX and VI, mostly), as well as Star Ocean TTEOT and various oldschool platformers like Megaman X and Mario (mainly for character builds). Super Mario RPG is the fucking shit.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 12:21:41 PM »
Morrowind also really gets my creative juices going, but usually ends up with me wishing I could produce a full total conversion based as closely on Dark Sun as possible.  :p
PbP Games

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 05:16:26 AM »
I just started replaying Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive.  Sitting beside me on my gaming book shelf is Sidewinder: Recoiled.  I bought it last year when I went back home for vacation, but haven't really used it yet.  I decided to try and recreate the main characters from the game using just that book, and it seems to be working almost flawlessly!

I'll post links to the online character sheets when I'm done, but it's really inspiring me to start up a Spaghetti Western game!  :p

John Cooper
Samuel Williams
Doc McCoy
Kate O'Hara
Pablo Sanchez
Mia Yung
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:30:22 PM by j0lt »
PbP Games

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2008, 01:41:01 AM »

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 04:51:13 PM »
I've been playing Everquest2 for the last month or so, and I gotta say its pretty interesting.  I know how much MMO's get bashed by Tabletop gamers, but I'm rather suprised by this, now.  This is the first MMO I've played, and I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.  Sure, the "gather these, kill those" quests are repetative, but taking down an Epic monster meant for 12 people to kill with a group of 5 is incredibly fun, and don't tell me its easy. 

Anyways, thats where I got the ideas for the Dirge class, since thats what I made.
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

Grimgrin

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2008, 03:13:51 PM »
Fallout and Fallout II.

I'm playing Fallout III right now.  I also like "Alice" by American McGee and "Arcanum" which are part of the steampunk genre.  I built my own d20 Modern version of WWII mecha combat based on "Ring of Red".  Warmachine miniatures are my favorites.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 06:26:23 PM »
Final Fantasy VI was spectacular, and I once built Magus from Chrono Trigger without realizing what I'd done till I finished. At the moment, I've been getting a lot of inspiration from Tales of Symphonia, which is also a great game. Even though I've never played it, The Force Unleashed inspired me to build a psi-gish, which was fun.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2008, 07:00:56 PM »
Force Unleashed has me banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to achieve Starkiller levels of awesome in SAGA. The "Unleashed" abilities don't really do it for me.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2008, 03:53:08 PM »
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.