Author Topic: What videogames inspire you?  (Read 13151 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
What videogames inspire you?
« on: May 20, 2008, 03:52:16 PM »
There's already book and TV threads, so why not?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
Re: What videogames inspire you?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:09:46 PM »
Arx Fatalis, Diablo 2. I've been in the process of converting classes based on them to DnD (Runecaster, and Master of the Forgotten Bloom, respectively). Love the casting system in Arx Fatalis.

Neverwinter Nights. I've spent the last four years of my life modding it, and it got me into writing DnD material.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Tazendra

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 04:27:12 PM »
I played a lot of Quake CTF back about 12 years ago, and always wished I could have my grappling hook and Rocket Launcher in Shadowrun.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 05:09:11 PM »
I started at Wizards.COMmunity by posting the stats of a number of Metroid creatures. I was writing Fire Emblem classes a while back - it fits D&D pretty well, but will probably work better in 4e.

[spoiler]
Quote from: Prime32
I tried making a few classes like this a while ago, but I feel I can do a better job now (looking back, mine seem terrible next to Lotus Crane's).

Anyway, this class can be entered by a swordsage or warblade without too much trouble, and gives them access to one discipline from the other class they would not otherwise have. The AC bonus is superior to Canny Defence.

Myrmidon

Prerequisites
Feats: Dodge or Desert Wind Dodge, Improved Critical (any sword), Spring Attack
Martial Maneuvers: Any two Desert Wind or Iron Heart maneuvers

Class Skills:Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Hit Dice: d10

Code: [Select]
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +1 +0 +2 +0 AC Bonus, Manouevers
2 +2 +0 +3 +0 Power Critical
3 +3 +1 +3 +1 Double Strike (-2/-2)
4 +4 +1 +4 +1 Bonus Feat
5 +5 +1 +4 +1 Critical Rush
6 +6 +2 +5 +2 Double Strike (-1/-1)
7 +7 +2 +5 +2 Bonus Feat
8 +8 +2 +6 +2 Swordmaster +1
9 +9 +3 +6 +3 Double Strike (+0/+0)
10 +10 +3 +7 +3 Swordmaster +2, Greater Critical Rush

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The myrmidon is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor, but not with shields.

Maneuvers: At each odd-numbered level, you gain a new maneuver known from the Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, Iron Heart or Tiger Claw discipline. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full myrmidon levels to your initiator levels to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known. At 3rd, 6th and 9th level, you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.

AC Bonus (Ex): When wearing light or no armour, and not using a shield, a myrmidon adds 1 point of Intelligence bonus (if any) per class level to his Armor Class. If a myrmidon is caught flat-footed or otherwise denied his Dexterity bonus, he also loses this bonus.

Power Critical (Ex): A myrmidon receives a +4 bonus on attack rolls made to confrim critical hits with any sword.

Double Strike (Ex):
When a myrmidon takes a standard action to attack with a sword, he may instead make two attacks. In this case, both attacks take a -2 penalty on attack rolls. At 6th level the penalties are reduced to -1, and at 9th level they disappear.

Bonus feat: At 4th level, and again at 7th level, a myrmidon may select a bonus feat from the following list, or a feat which has a feat from this list as a prerequsite: Acrobatic, Blade Meditation, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (any sword), Lightning Reflexes, Skill Focus (Tumble), Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (any sword);

Critical Rush (Ex): At 5th level, whenever a myrmidon deals damage to an opponent with a critical hit, he may make an immedate second attack against that opponent at a -5 penalty. If this extra attack scores a critical hit, the myrmidon may not use it to activate the critical rush ability again.

Swordmaster (Ex): At 8th level, the critical threat range of any sword a myrmidon wields is increased by 1. Apply this bonus after other effects that modify critical threat range. At 10th level this bonus increases to +2.

Greater Critical Rush (Ex): At 10th level, whenever a myrmidon deals damage to an opponent with a critical hit, he may make two additional attacks against that opponent with penalties of -5 and -10.
[/spoiler]
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 10:17:50 AM »
At the risk of being called a fanboy... Final Fantasy Tactics. An amazing game (and actually the only reason that I would buy a PSP right now). I am thinking about converting some classes to DnD, but I didn't get it right (yet).... maybe because I would have to create entire ToB disciplines....

The MMORPG Lineage 2 is, in a way, almost DnD with another name. And also gets me thinking about classes, spells,and such...

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »
At the risk of being called a fanboy... Final Fantasy Tactics. An amazing game (and actually the only reason that I would buy a PSP right now). I am thinking about converting some classes to DnD, but I didn't get it right (yet).... maybe because I would have to create entire ToB disciplines....

The MMORPG Lineage 2 is, in a way, almost DnD with another name. And also gets me thinking about classes, spells,and such...

It might be really hard to convert it to D&D, but what about converting it to its own D20 system? I love the game, and I've noticed that all percentiles are in 5% increments, basically 1 in 20. Just a thought. There are enough classes and such to be able to do it. I'd actually take my time to learn that system too :wink
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:42:09 AM »
It might be really hard to convert it to D&D, but what about converting it to its own D20 system? I love the game, and I've noticed that all percentiles are in 5% increments, basically 1 in 20. Just a thought. There are enough classes and such to be able to do it. I'd actually take my time to learn that system too :wink

I was thinking about the various Knights' sword techniques, maybe the Samurai (unlike the DnD version, the MOST easily breakable thing that's there...) and the Geomancer... all of their skills land 100% of the time (what might make things easier, but maybe I didn't see it yet...), but I will try something anyway.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 10:44:59 AM »
I was thinking about the various Knights' sword techniques, maybe the Samurai (unlike the DnD version, the MOST easily breakable thing that's there...) and the Geomancer... all of their skills land 100% of the time (what might make things easier, but maybe I didn't see it yet...), but I will try something anyway.
I've seen Geomancer abilities miss.  And either way, the ones that hit all the time would be the ones akin to Target: Creature spells where they just get a save. :D
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 10:57:53 AM »
I've seen Geomancer abilities miss.  And either way, the ones that hit all the time would be the ones akin to Target: Creature spells where they just get a save. :D
:twitch

Unless you are talking about the target being immune to the possible skill's element, it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to happen....

And that was what I was thinking about (but they would be SLA or Su's though)....

Oh yeah..... and since I'm playing right now SMT: Nocturne and Persona 3, I've been wanting to play Binders BADLY... and maybe create vestiges based on the demons from there (well... I already did 2 vestiges on WotC forums because of that)...

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 11:03:40 AM »
:twitch

Unless you are talking about the target being immune to the possible skill's element, it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to happen....
Swear to Asmodeus.  I've seen Elmdor and his genji armor along with 1 other have it miss.

But more on point, Some would be Ex, some Su and some SLA, all depends on the class, I suppose. Geomancer would be Su, imo.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 04:32:58 PM »
Two words: Dig Dug.

Mohji

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • "The Enemies Gate is Down."
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 04:36:51 PM »
Will Wild Shape for FoodFace off with the Legion

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 06:29:28 PM »

Actual, not all percentages are done in 5% increments. I've seen 32% and 97% and 48% and others in Final Fantasy Tactics before.

Still, it's a great game and I could definitely see it working with D&D if done well.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 12:25:03 AM »
So with XBox 360 you can download demos and I downloaded the DigDug demo.  Awesome.

I love Neverwinter Nights as an inspiration for running games-- 1 and 2. 

That other D&D one too.. the one that is 3.0 and you make a party... blanking on the name.

Morrorwind and Oblivion influence me too.  Great example of a giant world where PC's can go and explore at ease. 
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

SolEiji

• Summon the Meteor Pony!
    • D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 01:28:27 AM »
I once had an entire FF7 based campaign in D&D.  Playing Jenova as a gigantic evil outsider, invoking meteor as an Elder Evil akin to Atropos, having limit breaks... quite fun.

I made a number of video game stuff homebrewed for D&D, most recently Metroid gear for warforged.

Love of Zelda made me bring an alternate material plane called the Dark World accessible (a blend of Link to the Past and Twilight Princess), and closely linked to the Plane of Shadow, and it's own twilit-esque race.

Shadow of the Colossus: The best epic D&D puzzle fights ever.

The campaign I'm running now has strong Soul Edge/Soul Caliber ties.  Even though it's actually not the big goal, the heroes are looking for a legendary sword held by an evil knight.

Games are chock full of good stuff.  Once I even made an epic spell that summoned a katamari.  And yes, it grows as it rolls.  Good times.
Got homebrew?  I keep all my 3.5 homebrew on the D&D Wiki.org!
Current Count: 1333 pages by me and climbing!

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 08:50:31 AM »
That other D&D one too.. the one that is 3.0 and you make a party... blanking on the name.

Return to the Temple of Evil, I think.

MittenNinja

• Email
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 03:49:55 PM »

Ick, I hated that game just cause you couldn't go pas lvl 10.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 03:55:12 PM »

Ick, I hated that game just cause you couldn't go pas lvl 10.

Never actually played it, myself.

Tevish Szat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 04:48:56 PM »
The Legend of Zelda Series and Final Fantasy VII, above others.  Recently, Fire Emblem (Specifically Radiant Dawn) can be added to the list

GAH!  how could I forget...

Planescape: Torment.  Seriously one of the best, if not the best, Computer RPGs ever made, incredably deep, intricate plot, and an amazing entry into an even more amazing setting.  If you're not familiar with it... you pour soul.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 05:20:33 PM by Tevish Szat »

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 05:15:37 PM »
I'm plowing through Gothic (the first) for a second time now, this time as a fighter/mage cross-breed, and would have to recommend that, too, for a very elegantly done world, although I'm not sure how one would convert it to DnD and retain the flavour (and the very basic character styles).