Author Topic: Harmonious Knight  (Read 2755 times)

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
Harmonious Knight
« on: November 08, 2008, 02:41:14 AM »
Harmonious Knight

Requirements
Alignment: Any good
Feats: Devoted Performer
Skills: Perform(Oratory) 10 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty) 4 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, Sense Motive 5 ranks
Special: Must be able to smite evil, use inspire courage, lay on hands, bardic knowledge, able to speak celestial

BAB: Full
Hit Die: d8
Good Saves: Fort, Will
Class Skills (4 + Int): Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana/Nobility & Royalty/Religion) (Int), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (N/A)

01 Bardic Knowledge, Condemnation of the Unrighteous, Lay on Hands, Scriptures
02 Smite Evil +1/day
03 Inspiring Speech
04 Smite Evil +2/day
05 Song of Smiting, Voice of the Divine

Bardic Knowledge: Harmonious Knight levels stack with bard levels to determine the bonus to bardic knowledge.

Lay on Hands (Su): Harmonious knight levels stack with paladin levels to determine the amount of damage that can be healed by his lay on hands ability.

Scriptures: A harmonious knight gains the ability to speak specific pieces of scriptures of his deity or belief. At each harmonious knight level gained, he gains an additional use of scripture per day. His harmonious knight levels stack with his bard and paladin levels for determining how many bardic music uses he has per day as well as the strength of his bardic musics.

• Condemnation of the Unrighteous (Su): A harmonious knight with 11 ranks in perform (oratory) and 9 ranks in knowledge (religion) can condemn those opposed to his faith. By taking a full round action and expending a scriptures use for the day, he inflicts a -4 penalty on saves to all opponents in a 60ft cone for as long as he speaks for 3 rounds after. This is a mind affecting, language dependent effect.
  • Inspiring Speech (Su):
  • Voice of the Divine (Su): A harmonious knight with 15 ranks in perform (oratory) and 13 ranks in knowledge (religion) can speak the voice of his deity which manifests in a hurricane force gust of wind. By taking a full round action to make a perform (oratory) check and expending a scriptures use for the day, he forces opponents in a 60ft cone to make a fortitude and a reflex save (DC = His perform check). If the opponent fails the fortitude save, he is deafened for 6 rounds; if he succeeds, he is deafened for 3 rounds. If the opponent fails his save, he is knocked prone and blown 5ft back for every 2 points he failed his save, in addition he takes 5d6 points of damage; if the save is successful, he is merely knocked prone and takes 2d6 points of damage. Voice of the Divine does not affect a harmonious knight's allies.

Smite Evil (Su): A harmonious knight maintains his devotion to good and the eradication of evil. His harmonious knight levels stack with his paladin and bard levels for determining the damage dealt by his smite attacks. At 2nd and 4th level he gains an additional use of smite evil per day.

Song of Smiting (Su): When making a smite evil attempt, you may instead perform a song of smiting by expending a bardic music or scripture use for the day. Make a perform (oratory) check in place of your attack roll. If your attack hits, all damage dealt is considered sonic damage.

Sample Encounter:
Human Paladin of Freedom [Harmonious Knight Sub, Charging Smite Sub] 12/bard 1/marshal 1/barbarian 1 [lion Totem Sub]/harmonious knight 5.
Feats: From Song to Smite, Power Attack, Devoted Performer, Initiate of Milil, Divine Might, Shock Trooper, Doomspeak, Improved Bull Rush, Skill Focus (Diplomacy) (Bonus)

There's not really a paladin/bard combination class. I realize it's slightly on the powerful side, but adjustments can always be made. What do you all think?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 04:19:21 AM by kurashu »

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
Re: Harmonious Knight
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:36:03 AM »
I think it's fine, personally. This is not unbalanced for the fact that you're having to juggle two very different shticks.

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 12:23:23 PM »
"And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less...'" :P

It's a very interesting class; that's for certain. I agree with Mister_Sinister here; it doesn't seem overpowered to me, especially since nearly everything this class has to offer is limited in uses per day.

Anyhow, I understand this guy has got to be good with words, but why does he have Bluff as a class skill? Aren't paladins not supposed to lie?
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:33:52 PM »
Bluff =/= lying. End of story. I can bluff someone while speaking the absolute truth - so a guy with 18 Cha can do it too.

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 12:38:05 PM »
Bluff is just making someone believe in what you say, so yeah, if you have a far-fetched tale that happens to be perfectly true, Bluff is the skill to convince them of that.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 12:56:46 PM »
Or to believe what you want them to believe because of what you're saying. To put it more accurately. Saying one thing with a strange tone and appropriate body language can cause someone to believe something above and beyond what your words are simply telling them. One might even use bluff to tell the truth but in a way that people believe to be a lie.

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 12:57:39 PM »
Thank you, bkdubs, you are very correct here.

Check them both out!

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 12:31:37 PM »
Alright. I stand corrected. Does anyone have a tip or comment for the OP regarding his class?
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »
I added bluff simply because he needs to be good with his words. Diplomacy and Intimidate are also on there too. I forgot Gather Information, but I'm not completely sure it fits.

I was kind of weary about Song of Smiting and Voice of the Divine, but I guess they're fine?

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 12:58:07 PM »
Yeah, they are totally fine, I like those two abilities a lot. I honestly think you can power up Voice of the Divine a little by causing them to be blown away as well (when they fail the reflex save). Maybe 5ft per point they failed the save or something? Maybe just a straight 5ft/two character levels (half if they save)?

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 01:05:09 AM »
So, I realized I missed some stuff in the first draft. I added the DC for Voice of the Divine and fixed the table vs. text disagreement in smite evil.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 04:20:18 AM »
Added bardic knowledge to the table and added a sample build for now that's not really fleshed out at all. Oh well.