Author Topic: RC's stealth errata  (Read 2641 times)

Runestar

• King Kong
RC's stealth errata
« on: November 07, 2008, 10:27:53 AM »
I know that rules compendium included a few updates to existing 3e rules. However, I do wish that the designers could at least have had the courtesy of listing out just what those revisions were, rather than quietly inserting them in and waiting for us to accidentally stumble upon them. In the very least, I haven't really gotten down to sifting through every page with a fine-toothed comb looking for rules discrepancies.

Has anyone compiled a list of the "official" errata in RC?  :)
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: RC's stealth errata
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 03:20:18 PM »
iirc - and I might not remember correctly ...

The work that the CO-board guys did, like Tempest and Tsuyo, was the Precision Damage section.
And that got posted on the wizards.com site, so you can go get it.
Otherwise, it was just a collection of previously available rules, with the applied errata(s).
{ ... polymorph being the obvious exception ...  :P ... }

Tsuyo still posts around here, maybe he knows better ?!
?? perhaps PI was on that team too (ii?rc)

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 11:58:56 PM »
Well, I do know that magic item activation times were revised to now use the casting time of the base spell, so wands of wraithstrike are perfectly viable.

But that is really the only one which stands out. I do wish they had clarified the hydra-AoO issue once and for all though.

No others?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 06:19:00 AM »
Well, I do know that magic item activation times were revised to now use the casting time of the base spell, so wands of wraithstrike are perfectly viable.

And even that is debateable.  You see, the DMG has two rules on the subject... one that says use the base casting time, and one that says if it's lower than standard, it's a standard action.   The RC restates the first part, but never actually mentions the second, so it's hard to say whether it's supposed to actually replace both DMG rules or just restate one.

JaronK

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:57:19 AM »
Annoying, isn't it, when we see a differing rule, and have no way of ascertaining whether it was a printing error or new erratum... :eh

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 12:11:13 PM »
And even that is debateable.  You see, the DMG has two rules on the subject... one that says use the base casting time, and one that says if it's lower than standard, it's a standard action.   The RC restates the first part, but never actually mentions the second, so it's hard to say whether it's supposed to actually replace both DMG rules or just restate one.

The key is that both of those rules refer to very specifically different magic item types. And so one of them applies to one type of item, and the other applies to a different type of item.

Orion

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 05:28:35 PM »
I realise this is an oversight on the part of the editors but... you know, you could just decide for yourself which you prefer, right?

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 07:19:09 AM »
I realise this is an oversight on the part of the editors but... you know, you could just decide for yourself which you prefer, right?

Does being able to fix a computer's broken-down CPU excuse the manufacturer from selling me faulty equipment in the first place?

Orion

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 03:07:58 PM »
I didn't say anything about "excusing" the editors. I didn't realise the function of the thread was to blame them for something. I was under the (clearly mistaken!) belief that the point was to find a way to make the game work given the materials at hand. D&D has always been 50% DIY.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
Well, it's more annoyance that they declared that the RC supersedes previous rule printings, and then proceed to list out every rule, changing some of them. When groping around for exact phrasings, that sorta thing can be one hell of a pain, leading to people working under 2 or more versions of the same rule. It'd have been common courtesy to provide a list of where things were changed.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Orion

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 01:30:13 AM »
Oh, I entirely agree. Providing a list of changes is almost literally the least they could have done. Having slightly different versions floating around is not helping anyone. At this point, though, it's our problem. They've washed their hands of 3e.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 12:10:13 AM »
The Rules Compendium overrides the DMG, so since the Spell Trigger items were errata'ed to be equal to the spell's casting time, the RC takes priority.

[spoiler][/spoiler]