Author Topic: Discussion on Gameology-fu **Now with shiny new Poll!**  (Read 28021 times)

Shoggoth

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: Discussion on Gameology-fu
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 07:54:39 PM »
Also, while the name "Gameology-fu" does imply that the person is a "Brilliant Gameologist", and there is without a doubt a certain amount of "We're elite smarties who discuss gaming intellectually hur hur hur" (that's me, btw!), I think that the use of -fu as an aggregate value of friendliness/cleverness/intelligence/helpfulness/etc. is more valuable than some sort of character-like list of stats that we all carry around.  "Look at me, I have a +25 in witty but I'm dumb in theory so I have a -2 in Gameology!" is a bit much for what is really a community based message board, where a good 3rd of the board headings have nothing to do with gaming at all.

If that means that someone feels that they have a negative score from one aspect, but they want to be respected for some other aspect, well.....sorry.  
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 07:56:26 PM »

On a different tangent, how about two categories. A kudos/douchebag category and a gameology category.

Reason, Sunic, Uber and probably others often give "Plus fucking one" for well, cool posts. Something funny, well said or in line with their opinions is awesome, but not necessarily good or bad gameology.

Gameology would be new builds, helping n00bs with builds, general site improvement.

Thoughts?

My Plus Fucking Ones in that aspect go to someone either getting something gaming related right, or something about board policy right. I also don't give fu of any flavor that often. Positive fu is reserved for really good posts, negative for really bad posts.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 07:59:24 PM »
Problem is that it means that it reflects a bunch of unrelated stuff under the same stat.

It makes figuring out 'what the hell does my gameology" (or "____'s gameology") reflect impossible.

Nothing wrong with "you're hillarious, kudos." points, but keept hem seperate from "wow. You know LOTS on economics. Kudos." points.

I'd go for the following, if "stat list" would be used (and I'm not proposing it, but some might like it)

Wit: As in, humor.
Charm: How likeable/dislike you are.
Lore: Gameology and stuff.

That covers the basic things we'd want to know, I think. As stated, I'm not proposing it as a replacement, but if we did have different numbers based on different areas, those areas seem to be ones BGers in general would want to rate people for. (I'd say we BGers, but I'd rather have just Lore rated and leave the other two alone.)
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 08:03:35 PM »
We don't need an extensive list of possible attributes to give fu to. I'm rather certain that most people know that humor or other things not directly related to gaming, it's theory, rules, mechanics, etc. are not fu-worthy. However, perhaps you saw the Assplomancer and thought it was so fucking funny you couldn't resist +fu'ing it, even if there were (not that there are) mechanical problems with it.

I'll say it in the form of a question: Why is it not a good thing to say "this person is a good gameologist" if the person in question made a (presumably) game or gameology-related post that was exceptionally humorous, to the point where you believe it will encourage others to join or stay in this gameology-related community? (Please note and address specifically the point about how it's so good that it's going to make others want to be here.)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 08:06:14 PM »
Does any one besides myself think fu works pretty much fine the way it is?

I think fu works fine the way it is. Any change would be simply extra, in my opinion and the net result would be that ultimately the fu would end up the same as it is now.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 08:08:44 PM »
Here's my answer: A humorous, but not game or gameology related thing is not worth saying "great gameology" for, neither is a humorous but not very gameology savvy thing.

Setting up fu to reflect "great influence on the site" as opposed to "great gameology", and it would be exactly the kind of post that should be positive fu-ed.

But if you post something with bad gameology but a great joke, then the joke should not increase something measuring gameology and the gameology should not decrease something measuring humor.

Does that answer your question?

Note: I'm not suggesting an exhausive list. Just a "Do give fu for this. Don't give it for that." list of oh, ten things. We're smart. We can work from there. But unless there's a common baseline of what is and isn't fu worthy, how can you (the person who got fu-ed) tell if someone's "I gave you fu for ___." is valid within what fu is "supposed to measure"?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 08:10:32 PM by Elennsar »

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 08:14:48 PM »

I think fu works fine the way it is. Any change would be simply extra, in my opinion and the net result would be that ultimately the fu would end up the same as it is now.

Agreed, which is why I only suggested a change in fu display. Anything else ends up the same way anyway, since it's unenforceable or impractical to alter.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 08:17:03 PM »
Does that answer your question?
No.
My question was Does anyone besides myself else think fu works pretty much fine the way it is?

The appropriate answer to said question is.
"I do"

Or if you simply insist on contributing your 2cents even though the question clearly doesn't pertain to you..
I do not.
You're answer wasn't even really asked for, because well, you've expressed your opinion. ...
So you're just belaboring the point.
I was actually looking for "Dissenting" opinions from what you think.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So.....

Edit.
Thanks vekkie
We should just make a poll.... hmm...
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Shoggoth

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 08:18:46 PM »

I agree.  I don't really see anything wrong with the system as it stands right now.

I would give you + -fu just to subvert what is apparently the system, but I can't yet!  Bummer.   :P
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 08:19:31 PM »
Midnight: I'm reasonably sure you have the ability to percieve that Zero asked a question that it would be an answer to.

I'm reasonably sure you're intelligent enough to figure out that means it wasn't to your question.

So. Why am I left wondering why you treated it as responding to your question when that was not the case?

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 08:30:37 PM »
Midnight: I'm reasonably sure you have the ability to percieve that Zero asked a question that it would be an answer to.

I'm reasonably sure you're intelligent enough to figure out that means it wasn't to your question.

So. Why am I left wondering why you treated it as responding to your question when that was not the case?
I see...
There must have been some ninjaing involved there. I apologize that post was not there when I began or somehow I missed it.

What you said now has much more merit.
I humbly apologize.  :-[

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 08:34:19 PM »
'ccepted.

So, moving on. Some people agree with you, some don't. That indicates it is not working all that well.

Not total failure, but since we want as close to total success as possible, then we need to see if we can find that.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 08:37:41 PM »

On a different tangent, how about two categories. A kudos/douchebag category and a gameology category.

Reason, Sunic, Uber and probably others often give "Plus fucking one" for well, cool posts. Something funny, well said or in line with their opinions is awesome, but not necessarily good or bad gameology.

Gameology would be new builds, helping n00bs with builds, general site improvement.

Thoughts?
I've never given +fu for anything except a really good post.  When I write "Plus fucking one" that's like a pat on the back.  I don't give fu with that.  I usually state when I give fu though.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008, 08:40:31 PM »
Midnight_v: I like G-fu as is though would prefer +/- as separate counters.

Elennsar: Let's try this, since you're fond of concreteness:
1. If someone brings to light a new way to positively use a mechanic that's definitely fu-worthy because it's promoting gameology through the direct creation of new theory.
2. If someone creates a handbook consolidating a large collection of good builds and work on a subject that's definitely fu-worthy because it's promoting gameology through bringing greater access to an aspect of gameology.
3. If someone disseminates their gaming sessions with a CO Diary then that's definitely fu-worthy because it's promoting gameology through researching the application of gameology theory.

4. If someone answers a question for help through expertly sifting through the existing work to give aid that's probably fu-worthy because it's helping others directly to spread positive gameology.
5. If someone finds a good addition to an otherwise good work that's probably fu-worthy because it's helping advance someone's work and theory though it's not their own creation.

6. If someone acts as a newb-herder, consistently, correctly, concisely and positively helping newbs get acquainted with gameology and headed towards the right threads and fora that's possibly fu-worthy because they're helping make the place better for new people.

7. If someone makes a post of such humorous, insightful or otherwise grand magnitude that it has the potential of drawing new people (through increasing general enjoyment of the place) that may be fu-worthy because it's helping grow the gameology community.

I'm not saying every good joke deserves +fu, just that, on occasion, it's a good thing to +fu those and in the end it'll work out about right.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 08:41:20 PM »
I've never given +fu for anything except a really good post.  When I write "Plus fucking one" that's like a pat on the back.  I don't give fu with that.  I usually state when I give fu though.
I think that clears up a bit of confusion some folks may have; one should probably not assume that a poster saying 'good job' or 'that's stupid' is changing fu unless the poster specifically says as much.  No good is likely to result from such assumptions.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2008, 08:42:30 PM »
'ccepted.

So, moving on. Some people agree with you, some don't. That indicates it is not working all that well.

Not total failure, but since we want as close to total success as possible, then we need to see if we can find that.
As far as I can tell that 2 people who agree with me. It bears equal discussion. This might be appropriate access frankly and my point about it leveling out to what it is/was/should be.
I believe that
Won't matter the system. If you're a douche/give bad advice/ derail threads...
Peer review will make it show up.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2008, 08:50:35 PM »
Remember, as currently defined, gameology-fu reflects both your gameology AND your contribution/influence to the message boards. So a joke that actually ends up keeping people on the site, or even recruiting people to the site is likely worth positive -fu.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2008, 08:52:05 PM »
I disagree with good jokes = fu unless its something you're willing to have mean every good joke gets fu.

Otherwise, the other six seem good.

AS for discussion: Agreed. My point is that if two agree, two disagree, and two would be open to changing it if it would result in the other four being pleased, then we need to see if we can find a better method.

After all, "I think it works fine now, yes." is not the same as "I think this is the best possible method." (though it may involve that, it is a different answer.)

One thing I'd like to do regarding douches/asses/bad advice/derailing: Make sure someone knows that and accepts that if you can convince them to stop before passing out bad fu. And make sure that you're clear on whether or not it is derailing the thread.

Some threads are more open to moving from the original post than others, so one needs to know these things. A general "Talk about multiclassing" and a specific "How to make multiclassing worth doing" thread are approaching things very differently.

As stated, I think the first six are good reasons to award fu. Behavior that increases the knowledge and understanding of gameology of those who come here (either as members or just observers).

So naturally, behavior that interfers with that is presumably a reason to award negative fu?

For instance, posting a stupid rule and insisting it is a brilliant rule and trying to get other people to use it is negative fu worthy.

Or a low score, or whatever.

But coming up with a bad idea in and of itself is not...after all, not all ideas here are perfect from first post.

AC: The only problem with that is that its very hard to tell when something "made someone stay" in terms of an individual post. Its usually "the kind of posts we see here make me want to stay/leave".

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2008, 08:57:40 PM »
I disagree with good jokes = fu unless its something you're willing to have mean every good joke gets fu.
That's why I said "may".

Let's say that the 1-3's get an 80% chance of getting +fu from the 20 people who commonly give fu.  On average those categories are likely to give +16 fu to the guy.

Let's say that the last one has a 5% chance of getting +fu from the 20 people who commonly give fu.  On average that example is likely to give +1 fu to the guy.

That's a good thing -- it's a randomized function and over large sample sets (like the hundreds or thousands of posts people rack up) they tend to work out correctly.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2008, 09:01:06 PM »
Assuming that it is watched to ensure that it really does mean that it happens 80% of the time or 20% or whatever percent, instead of insisting that's how it works...and then not keeping an eye on it to make sure it does.

That's the thing. If people feel that "I'll always give fu for this." then something has to compensate for the fact its not 5%...its whatever chance for the other 19 and 100% from Bob.

That won't naturally balance out.