Author Topic: Discussion on Gameology-fu **Now with shiny new Poll!**  (Read 27997 times)

Josh

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Discussion on Gameology-fu **Now with shiny new Poll!**
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2008, 12:59:43 PM »
The problem with that, while good in theory, is what do you do to keep people from lowering someone else's fu (or raising it) well past the point it deserves to be at?

Assuming no one ever gets a higher or lower fu than they deserve which will then stay that way is optimistic.

And we don't live in a world where optimism is rewarded very often. </pessimist>

I do like the theory, mind you. Just not the fact our reality wouldn't cooperate.
Actually, more often I find that people don't have enough G-Fu (positive or negative) when I look at their numbers and compare that with the quality of their posts.

A poster comes to me and says "But Moderator, their fu was not high or low enough.  Why would you let that happen?"
"Ah, my poster but I sent you"

ppppp

or if you rather:

"Whenever you raised the fu of a good poster, you raised the fu for me...
And whenever you lowered the fu of a bad poster, you lowered that fu for me.

ppppp

Or:

"why is it when I look back during my best posts there are two sets of footprints in the sand...
but when I look back at my worst posts there is only one set?"

Actually I'm not sure where I was going with that last one.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2008, 02:18:23 PM »
"why is it when I look back during my best posts there are two sets of footprints in the sand...

I do, and boy am I glad you stopped when you did.  That'd almost be grounds for a DoW.  To the Pain. 
Catch the reference and win a prize!
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2008, 09:07:32 PM »
I do, and boy am I glad you stopped when you did.  That'd almost be grounds for a DoW.  To the Pain. 
Catch the reference and win a prize!

Princess Bride, obviously.

I do not understand any of Josh's post though.

Could you please explain for the brain dead amongst us?

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2008, 09:10:20 PM »
Ejo, methinks Josh was riffing on Judeo-Christian inspirational posters.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Josh

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2008, 01:11:01 AM »
Correct. 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2008, 02:36:12 PM »
Correct. 

That would explain why I don't get the references.  :lol

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2008, 10:36:21 PM »
Correct. 

That would explain why I don't get the references.  :lol
I still don't get the references.  ???

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2008, 10:42:11 PM »

A poster comes to me and says "But Moderator, their fu was not high or low enough.  Why would you let that happen?"
"Ah, my poster but I sent you"

ppppp

or if you rather:

"Whenever you raised the fu of a good poster, you raised the fu for me...
And whenever you lowered the fu of a bad poster, you lowered that fu for me.

ppppp

Or:

First: Penitent - God, why do You allow evil/nasty/bad things to happen in the world?  Why don't You do something about it? God - I did; I sent you.
Second: My Christianity is rusty - Sermon on the Mount?
Third: Google Footprints In the Sand.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2008, 11:49:24 AM »
All in all I'm fine with the system as-is.  The only reason I selected "other" was because I think it'd be nice to read the reasons people wrote for adjusting your fu.  I'm fine with not seeing the users that adjusted the fu.

I know this is a permissions issue for the current software, so there's probably little that can be done.  I do have coding experience, although I know nothing about this system, so I'm not sure how much I'd be able to help.  Any of the mods can PM me if they wish to persue this further.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2008, 04:07:28 PM »
All in all I'm fine with the system as-is.  The only reason I selected "other" was because I think it'd be nice to read the reasons people wrote for adjusting your fu.  I'm fine with not seeing the users that adjusted the fu.

I know this is a permissions issue for the current software, so there's probably little that can be done.  I do have coding experience, although I know nothing about this system, so I'm not sure how much I'd be able to help.  Any of the mods can PM me if they wish to persue this further.
One thing you can do (from my understanding) is change it in your options so that you get a PM when someone adjusts your fu. Thus you'd get the reasoning too, I believe (someone correct me if this is not how it works).
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2008, 04:16:36 PM »
It tells you what post was voted on, not why. This may or may not tell you why, depending on if they actually voted that post up or down or just wanted to give you a vote and picked one.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2008, 06:13:36 PM »
Right-O.  That is an option I can turn on though, so you get the reason someone wrote as well.  I chose not to because some are really harsh, but maybe if everyone knows they are being read folks would be a bit more objective and less personal?
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2008, 06:41:19 PM »
Right-O.  That is an option I can turn on though, so you get the reason someone wrote as well.  I chose not to because some are really harsh, but maybe if everyone knows they are being read folks would be a bit more objective and less personal?

+1
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2008, 06:45:14 PM »

+1

+2.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2008, 07:56:44 PM »

+1

+2.

This is a +3 post, it is made of win.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2008, 08:00:09 PM »
Wonder why would anyone be embarrassed by his own opinions seeing all the posts flying over here.

Handy Links

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »
It's the quiet ones who will surprise you ;)  It should be obvious with the people posting here what their opinions would say, but I've been shocked at the strong wording of posters I would equate with a little girl in pigtails on the polite public niceties. 
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2008, 08:06:36 PM »
It's the quiet ones who will surprise you ;)  It should be obvious with the people posting here what their opinions would say, but I've been shocked at the strong wording of posters I would equate with a little girl in pigtails on the polite public niceties. 

Pics or it didn't happen. :P

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2008, 08:12:32 PM »
A) I vote we turn that option on. People seem to want to know why their fu changed.
B) Since we still won't know who changed it, the comments will likely not change. And sometimes a harsh word or two will knock some sense into us.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2008, 08:14:28 PM »
I vote for turning that option on too.

Especially if it tells us whether it was voted up or down. Because, while it may be obvious for most reasons given, not all people look at the same things as negatives.