Author Topic: OOC Chatter  (Read 29403 times)

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: OOC Chatter
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2008, 04:17:32 AM »
Okay, look guys. Let's do something. I have my buffs cast, we walk through the portal, go time. I'll also retroactively cast FoM on anyone who needs it.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2008, 12:08:27 PM »
Good to me, I'm waffling over whether or not to persistify Arcane Spellsurge, and I'm probably going to go with yes (I can always UMD a bard-wand of Cure Critical Wounds or something useful). So I'll be running in with Arcane Spellsurge and Greater Blink, for double threat 50% miss chances.

EDIT: And I realized that my current build no longer allows me to be bound to my two vestiges, so I'm going to just edit in two lesser acceptable vestiges, if that's all 'k with you guys.

Crap I only get 1 vestige now... oh well.

FINAL EDIT: My build if finally finalized, nobody let me change it ever again. Except to maybe retrain feats later.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2008, 12:27:59 PM »
Okay, I am ready to go!

Handy Links

Judging Eagle

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2008, 06:27:27 PM »
I'll see what I can post later today, I've got two assignements due today and I've got assignments due over the next two weeks before the semester ends.

Also, I want to know if we can get re-training of things like feats between adventures/levels, and if other scaling feats that were written up can be presented?

Specifically:

Quote from: Maxus
Intelligent Fighter [Combat]
You outsmart people...so you can stab them in the face.
Benefit: You have the Edge over opponents when your Intelligence is greater than both their Intelligence and their Dexterity.

+1: You may use your Int bonus on both melee and ranged attack rolls. Yes, you're very smart.

+6: Ghost Step: You may use your Int bonus in place of Charisma when you feint. Additionally, you may do a special feint, called a Ghost Step, when you take a move action to move around your opponent while staying in melee range. This feint may be based on BAB or your ranks in Bluff, plus your Int bonus. If it's successful, your opponent loses his Dex bonus (like normal) and you deal an additional Xd6 (X is equal to your Int Bonus) damage when you stab him in the ass, as long as the ass is stabbed before the enemy's next turn. This bonus damage is not multiplied on a critical hit, and Ghost Step may only be used once per round.

+11: You may use your Int bonus on both melee and ranged damage rolls.

+16: Manipulate: With your enormous brain, you're perfectly suited to tricking an enemy into doing what you want them to. You may do a special Feint as a swift action once a round.

If you succeed, designate an action, movement, or ability of the enemy. You must be aware of this ability, either by having seen it yourself or by succeeding on an appropriate knowledge check. On the enemy's turn, it performs the action you designated, as long the action does not violate its sense of self-preservation.

You may 'manipulate' the opponent into moving to a particular spot, or attacking you with a particular ability, weapon, or spell. Any attacks must be directed at you or one of your allies, although it is possible to trick an enemy into using, for example, a breath weapon on you while you're in the middle of its group of comrades. If you use this ability in consecutive rounds, take a -5 penalty for each round you've used this.

Common Manipulations include:

-Enemy follows you to keep melee distance (requires you to actually move)

-Enemy uses a spell-like ability on you or an ally of yours

-Enemy uses a particular weapon when it attacks.

-Enemy attacks you.

-Flying enemy lands to attack more directly.

-Enemy, for some inexplicable reason, decides they don't want to teleport for a round.

[This would replace Weapon Finesse; and while I won't specialize so much in Dex, I can't afford to dump it as it is important for my various sneaking skills, granting of cleave attacks]

Doesn't matter. Just a random idea.
[spoiler]and, this is something that is just more thematic, but would the following work?

Quote from: Manxome
Scholar [Skill]
Knowledge is power.
This is a skill feat that scales with your ranks in your highest Knowledge skill.

Benefits:
If your knowledge check to identify an opponent gives a result of at least 15 + the foe's CR, you have The Edge against that opponent until its CR increases.
4: You may take 10 on knowledge skill checks.
9: You are adept at identifying monsters' weaknesses. With a swift action and an appropriate knowledge check (DC 15 + creature's CR), for 5 rounds, you gain either a +2 insight bonus to attack and damage against a creature or a +2 insight bonus to the save DC of any save you force it to make (your choice which). You may not take 10 on this check.
14: When you make a successful knowledge check using the 9-rank ability of this feat, your attacks also ignore the target creature's DR and hardness for 5 rounds.
19: All your attacks have a doubled critical threat range.
[This would require me to actually specialize in one of my knowledge skills, most of them have 7 ranks max, meaning shaving points from among them, or collecting them from some other skill]
[This would replace Point Blank Shot; of course, I might just replace PBS with Combat School isntead][/spoiler]

Also, I want to know if a character can be considered to be "wielding" armour spikes it they already have a weapon in all of their current hands? +1 Armour spikes of Parrying and Spellstrike look pretty useful, but my character had a kusari-gama in both of his hands. Would I need to get Multi-weapon fighting to be counted as using them, or not, or what else would I have to do?

Some more questions on skills:

Craft: how is the Craft skill going to work? If you have ranks, you can just craft things (the rule that people on the Den use, and Kaelik looks like is using), or do you need to have specialized spending of skills (i.e. you need to actually spend skills in something like Craft (Armour), but you can't make anything else other than armour?)?

Mostly because if I can, I'd like to be able to reduce the cost of the mundane component (i.e. the not magic part) of my weapon and armour. Mostly because my gear is expensive, and the character is pretty gear-reliant.

Perform:(I am playing a Bard, afterall) The PHB insanity that is the Perform skill or the one from the Bards Suck thread that Frank wrote up (which is the bard that I'm using).

Quote from: FrankTrollman

Before that can even be done, Perform needs the following adjustment:

Quote from: Replace First Paragraph with

You are trained in several types of artistic expression and know how to put on a show. Possible Perform types include ballad, buffoonery, chant, comedy, dance, drama, drums, epic, flute, harp, juggling, limericks, lute, mandolin, melody, mime, ode, pan pipes, puppetry, recorder, shalm, storytelling, trumpet, and tuba (the DM may authorize other types). You are trained in one form of performance per rank.
Name kept out of inertia. Thirteen years and counting.

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2008, 10:44:47 PM »
ok, I've still got 30,000gold, and I have no clue what to spend it on, suggestions?

my purchases so far:
  - 36,000 +6 Periapt of Wisdom
  - 47,200 Cloak of Furrydom (Co Arachnida,t Bat, Manta Ray)
  - 10,000 Bag of Holding 4
  -  2,000 Spool of Endless Rope (because someone suggested we basically spam rope... well, here is rope spam)
  -  8,000 Sizing(CAdv) an +1 enchantment on slam attack
  -  4,000 Rod of Ropes(CSc) (seriously only because it was kinda cool, and cheap.)
  - 12,000 Goggles of Night

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2008, 03:06:38 AM »
No on the homebrew.  We have enough options as is.  If we were using any book limitations at all I would feel bad (because the feats are decently balanced), but I'm giving a hard no on adding more things I have to check and read.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2008, 03:17:16 PM »
Woodenbandman: I have an idea for your standard actions. Buy a wand of True casting, gives you +10 insight bonus to penetrate SR. Might be useful against high HD baddies.

Handy Links

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »
Sounds good, how much for one? I have no money whatsoever left over, I blew most of it on my cloak.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2008, 05:21:26 PM »
750, perhaps you buy one from the next loot then.

Handy Links

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2008, 07:45:59 PM »
No on the homebrew.  We have enough options as is.  If we were using any book limitations at all I would feel bad (because the feats are decently balanced), but I'm giving a hard no on adding more things I have to check and read.
ok, I'm seriously confused as to what this was in reference to, I just want to make sure there wasn't a problem with my items, because none of them are homebrew.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2008, 07:59:38 PM »
Post above yours, where Judgin Eagle asked for two new feats and a change to Perform skill.

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2008, 11:19:11 PM »
Ok, I was just wondering because, while the sizing enhancement isn't homebrew(it's CAdv), applying it to my fists it is a kinda odd thing allowed by Eleven Testicles.

Psychic Robot

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #172 on: November 30, 2008, 01:47:59 AM »
Does somebody have something that lets rogues breathe water?  Otherwise, I can change up my magical equipment so that I can have things that keep me from dying underwater.

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: November 30, 2008, 04:55:56 AM »
Cloak of the manta ray allows you to "polymorph"( :twitch) into a manta ray, ie, you look like one from above, can swim, breath underwater, so on and so forth, you get a tail spine attack, but you can also detach your arms from the cloak and use them.

there's also a potion of Breath Water, which is cheap.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: November 30, 2008, 05:40:37 AM »
As I already explained. A single casting of Water Breathing by an actual caster in this party has a duration of 80 hours and costs zero spell slots. Have someone cast it, don't buy expendables.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2008, 07:15:24 AM »
If I cast it, it has a duration of 38 hours in total. Who needs some?

Handy Links

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2008, 09:08:22 AM »
As I already explained. A single casting of Water Breathing by an actual caster in this party has a duration of 80 hours and costs zero spell slots. Have someone cast it, don't buy expendables.
yes but it's also one less spell that caster can cast when we get into trouble. Also, the minimum a potion of water breathing can last is ten hours, wasn't there something about a 60 min time limit?

On a related note, potions of FoM make more sense than sacrificing our casters' spells, I could seriously foot the bill for all of us to have such, they only cost 1400 each, so... we have seven, right? It's 9800 for all of us to have a potion, and they'd last 70 minutes.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:15:14 AM by Prak, the Mad »

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2008, 01:43:25 PM »
You have a cap of an hour prep before you leave.  You won't be able to spend more than 24 hours in the plane without defeating the Lord without risking falling behind schedule.  Plus, the longer you're there the more likely you are to lose the element of surprise.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: November 30, 2008, 01:59:01 PM »
In and out in 32 seconds then.

Handy Links

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: November 30, 2008, 02:33:46 PM »
yes but it's also one less spell that caster can cast when we get into trouble. Also, the minimum a potion of water breathing can last is ten hours, wasn't there something about a 60 min time limit?

On a related note, potions of FoM make more sense than sacrificing our casters' spells, I could seriously foot the bill for all of us to have such, they only cost 1400 each, so... we have seven, right? It's 9800 for all of us to have a potion, and they'd last 70 minutes.

No no no. You cast the spell, then you rest to regain spells, then we go. It costs zero spell slots. Heck backstory that you had it cast on you two days ago, you still get it for another 28 hours.