Author Topic: Re: What is Douchebaggery?  (Read 1691 times)

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
Re: What is Douchebaggery?
« on: November 03, 2008, 04:20:51 AM »
You may not be intending to attack, but I think just about every post you've put in this thread is some form of "No. Shut up. Go away." in effect.

And it is getting very tiresome.

Having a definition that people who are offensive are a problem is perfectly fine when offensive is defined by reasonable people, or by people who are actually being attacked.

And constantly saying "You're wrong. You're wrong. You're wrong. You're wrong." over and over again is, as stated, grating. If you have a definition of douchebaggery that discourages people from trampling on how others feel without becoming ridiculous, I'd be delighted to hear it.

So far, I see a desire to eliminate the idea that giving offense is ever wrong.
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Elennsar only puts his own ideas out there and any argument with them either misses the point, doesn't understand, or is 'insulting him' and therefor not valid. If we all behaved like him at his best, this would just be nothing more than a collection of each of our opinions and there would be no discussions about anything because we'd all be too worried about misunderstanding someone's intent to ever actually discuss.

False. You'd have the opportunity to say something, then if you misunderstood, saying "Oops, misunderstood."

I'm fine with people arguing with my ideas. I'm not fine with people misunderstanding them, insulting me, or missing what I'm trying to say.

If you don't want to play a game where dragons don't get sorcerer like spells, then that's fine with me. If you want to point out why you find that more fun, that's fine with me. If you want to insult me for playing it differently than you do, that's not fine with me.

Not all ideas on how to play the game are "my way is better"...probably not even most.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 05:41:08 PM »
The two of you stay on topic.  Any further personal comments will be considered admission of douchebaggery.

I'm sorry, I was attempting to show Elennsar through example instead of just theory, but you're right, in doing so I stepped over the line of what is actually being discussed in this thread. I only wish that having done so had had any effect.  :(

Not all ideas on how to play the game are "my way is better"...probably not even most.

No, but some are more correct per the rules. And unless you're talking about a houserule or changing the base system (which are different concepts), arguing that your opinion is more valid than the rules correct way of playing is egotistical and can lead to douchebaggery.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 05:45:30 PM »
Some are more "this is how the designers would do it", but unless the game specifically states "there are no encounters a PC could face out there that could be beyond his level+4", then those things can exist.

Seperate matter how "what can we do to avoid facing them?" by the players should be answered.

As for going off topic: And I wish what you said acknowledged any responsibility on the misreader's end to inform the writer of uncertainty or other things, rather than insisting that the writer must be a telepath and grovelingly appologize for not.

My point here...don't give me fu for what you think I meant if it turns out I didn't mean it (this applying for both good and bad things and thusly both positive and negative fu). Since I don't exactly have a swarm of people seeking to award me positive fu for things I didn't say, mostly addressing the negative.

Same principle stands, however. Givine my + fu having a cute avatar is as bad as giving me negative fu for being unable to draw.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 05:54:04 PM »
As for going off topic: And I wish what you said acknowledged any responsibility on the misreader's end to inform the writer of uncertainty or other things, rather than insisting that the writer must be a telepath and grovelingly appologize for not.

PM me if you'd like further explanation of why getting a message across properly is the writer's responsibility and not the reader's and examples of how to handle it.

I won't be following any more tangents in this thread, since I think it's kind of a douchey thing to do after having been so recently warned again by the moderators to stay on topic.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 05:57:46 PM »
PM sent. Let's see if we can sort this out without either of us going douchey, shall we?