Author Topic: Life in the Light Chapter One: Light of the Lost  (Read 13838 times)

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
Re: Life in the Light Chapter One: Light of the Lost
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2008, 09:32:31 PM »
The sun is beginning to dip beyond the horizon as the group finishes the walk across town. The streets  are deserted through the government district, and even many of the buildings that should be open all night have their thick doors shut tight. When they approach the Ancestral Keepers', district of the area, they see that around the usually open and serene gardens, hasty walls and fences have been erected and armed soldiers are are on patrol.

The guard, a stocky Bear with a halberd resting on his shoulder, calls for them to halt and shines a hooded lantern towards the group, inspecting them quickly before nodding and closing the lantern again.

"Just had to make sure you weren't one of them. Can't let even the ones that aren't a problem be roaming around any more. But you shouldn't be out here at night, there's been attacks here as well, and even further in, had to close up the libraries and all the offices nearby tonight."

[spoiler]Need spot checks and listen checks from everyone[/spoiler]

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2008, 10:18:57 PM »
While shielding her eyes from the light, "One of, what? Exactly?" Sneakyfeet asks. "We're trying to stop the trouble, it'd be helpful if we knew what kind of trouble we have to deal with." She smiles her charming ferret-y smile at the guard.

[spoiler=for ejo]Spot and Listen (1d20+4=6, 1d20+4=14)

I can hear...
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:26:24 PM by BobismyRhino »

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2008, 10:41:54 PM »
Fffsee Rrrith focuses on the surroundings.  Blatantly ignoring the guard, the white tiger is content to focus solely on the mission ahead.
[spoiler=Checks]Listen and Spot (1d20+8=21, 1d20+8=16) [/spoiler]
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2008, 01:32:54 AM »
Rolls:Spot=3
       Listen=14

Azkil, staring off into the distance, seemed to pay no attention to the situation. But a closer look would reveal his ears twitched to catch any alarming sounds in the area.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2008, 04:53:02 AM »
Abenak nods to the guard, but doesn't let pleasantries distract him for once.

[spoiler]Spot, Listen (1d20+2=15, 1d20+1=18) [/spoiler]
I know gameology-fu.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »
Bonebreaker listens to the guard, ignoring most everything else about him.

[spoiler]Spot, then Listen (1d20-2=9, 1d20-2=11)[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2008, 12:34:24 AM »
Spot/Listen (1d20+4=9, 1d20+0=1)

Verona focuses her attention solely on the guards, and in the Crane tradition attempts to overcome the situation using words.
We have heard of your situation and wish to offer our services as trained professionals to the Ancestral Keepers to help resolve the matter. It is a very noble deed you do, preserving the wisdom of the wise for future generations and would love to help. Forgive us - we wish we could help for free. Putting our lives on the line is a small price to pay for the continued service of your Order, but it is still a price we pay, so we would only ask for a small amount in return-less than half of what we would normally charge. Please sir, let us pass so that we may put right what is wrong, for the good of all-both living and no longer living.

Diplomacy (1d20+14=25)

It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2008, 12:40:35 AM »
"One of the rogue Lost, dear Ferret. And if you're trying to stop the trouble, you've all got your work cut out for you. The Ancestral Keepers can hardly hold them at bay during the day, and have little success keeping them quarantined at night, especially with the nastier ones that come out when it gets dark.

But... I suppose they need all the help they can get... I can take you to their headquarters, but it'll be dangerous to head that way, even this early at night. Though, to be honest, I wouldn't mind having a little more company for my own back anyway... Either way, best to do it quickly, the more people there are together the more of the rogue Lost gather as well, especially if you stay in one place."

The Bear shifts his halberd and sighs, then swings aside one of the makeshift partitions across the road.

"I wouldn't know anything about money though, I hardly get paid enough to be out here on the 'safe' end of this thing..."

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2008, 01:11:32 AM »
Abenak intones something and makes a brief gesture, then watches the guard carefully.

After a moment, he walks up to the guard. "You wouldn't happen to know of a safe way to headquarters, would you?"

[spoiler=Ejo only]Charisma Check (1d20+1=16) If you think I need it.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:23:46 AM by Callix »
I know gameology-fu.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2008, 04:52:42 PM »
The white tiger shakes its head and, looking up at the bear, tilts his head, Who are you? Also, has anything happened here recently?
[spoiler=rolls]Sense Motive, if needed (1d20+4=14) [/spoiler]
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »
The guard blinks a bit at Abenak and Fffsee Rrrith, obviously not very comfortable to stand around chatting.

"None of the ways to headquarters are particularly safe right now, especially with night coming on. would be best to just go straight there. And yes, a lot has happened here recently. There was an ambush and a few of the guards were dragged off before help arrived. The Lost that were still around and could be were captured and carted off, but a few had to be destroyed. We think some of the hungrier and smarter ones got past the barricades as well, since they were left unoccupied until help showed up. That's why we've had the buildings closed for the night and boarded up. But who knows if there's any inside or not... This has really started to get out of hand...

So, if you plan on helping, I can show you the way, or accompany you as soon as a patrol comes by that I can convince to relieve me... But if not, you need to get out of here fast, so many of you aren't just drawing attention to yourselves, you're also drawing attention to me."

The guard motions them through the makeshift barricade with his halberd, looking down the street nervously.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2008, 11:56:11 PM »
Verona nods.
Please, show us the way.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2008, 11:22:25 AM »
Bonebreaker pulls his bow.
Sneakyfeet, can you keep an eye out for enemies? I can't see shit.  :shrug

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2008, 04:47:59 PM »
Abenak looks troubled by this news.

"Are you sure you couldn't just take us half-way? We'd be most grateful."
I know gameology-fu.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2008, 04:04:29 PM »
Fffsee Rrrith's hackles stand on end, and the tiger's eyes squint as he focuses on a different sense.

It may be too late for that.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2008, 03:40:54 AM »
"Sneakyfeet keep an eye out for you," she says as she nervously sniffs about her, "But everyone should stay close together and be prepared for anything..."  "Also, if you see movement...make sure it's not Sneakyfeet before you strike at it" she smiles her ferrety smile and then fades into the safety of the shadows to keep watch.

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2008, 07:31:50 PM »
Blowing her cover, Sneakyfeet whispers to the group: "there's something coming at us from around the corner, something behind us in the bushes, and something in the building." Her hackles rise, "We're surrounded."

She melds back into the shadows and awaits the confrontation.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2008, 08:00:23 PM »
OoC: Initiative, then? 1d20+5=18

Bonebreaker asks Sneakyfeet, "How many at each location?", and readies his arrow.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2008, 09:17:22 PM »
We should only strike at the ones that bar the way and keep moving forward! Verona said. She kept her hand by her blade but for whatever reason did not draw it.

Initiative (1d20+6=18)