Author Topic: [Custom] Mixed and Interrelated Powers System  (Read 1507 times)

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
[Custom] Mixed and Interrelated Powers System
« on: October 31, 2008, 11:25:34 PM »
In the last months I have been working on bringing together many ideas I had to improve the D20 system. In the beginning, those ideas were just modifications and patches for the original game, using some of the 4th edition ideas I found interesting. But it went on growing, and now it has departed from being a simple rework of the system to become something more akin to a full new system. So, while it still has many of the basic mechanics from D20 system, much of it has changed. Right now, I am starting to pull all those rules together, and I would love to get some input on the basics of the system. It is not a "formated" version, but some ideas on the way I pretend to focus the system.

So, let's begin:

Basics

Action Types: There are 4 action types: Swift Action, Minor Action, Major Action and Full Action. Any creature has one swift, one minor and one major action every turn. Alternatively, you can spend your Minor and Major action to get a Full action. All of them except the swift action can only be used while in your own turn. The swift action can be used at any time, but the action itself can provide with more limitations.

Abilities: The abilities follow the same mechanics than D&D. 6 ability scores: Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha. The values for them can go from 3 to 18. the bonus granted by those abilities are the same than the ones given on D&D ((Ability Score - 10)/2).

Class levels: The max level is still 20. All classes give you the following benefits: Base Attack Bonus, Base Defense Bonus, Saves bonus, Mystic Progression (equivalent to caster level), Supernatural Progression, Martial Progression, Extra Hit Points, feat progression and Special Abilities. The table for every class trait is shown here:

Mystic, Martial
     BAB and BDB     Saves     and Supernatural  Extra Hit Points    Feats
lvl  Hgh Med Low   Good Bad  Lst Lsr Med Hgh Fll  Low Med Hgh Max  ? ? ? ? ?
 1   +0  +0  +0     +0  +0    0   0   0   0   1    0   0   0   1
 2   +1  +0  +0     +1  +0    0   0   1   1   2    0   1   1   2
 3   +1  +1  +0     +1  +1    0   1   1   2   3    0   1   2   3
 4   +2  +1  +1     +2  +1    1   1   2   3   4    1   2   3   4
 5   +2  +2  +1     +2  +1    1   2   3   4   5    1   2   3   5
 6   +3  +2  +1     +3  +2    1   2   3   4   6    1   3   4   6
 7   +3  +2  +1     +3  +2    1   2   4   5   7    1   3   5   7
 8   +4  +3  +2     +4  +2    2   3   4   6   8    2   4   6   8
 9   +4  +3  +2     +4  +3    2   3   5   7   9    2   4   6   9
10   +5  +3  +2     +5  +3    2   4   6   8  10    2   5   7  10
11   +5  +4  +2     +5  +3    2   4   6   8  11    2   5   8  11
12   +6  +4  +3     +6  +4    3   4   7   9  12    3   6   9  12
13   +6  +5  +3     +6  +4    3   5   7  10  13    3   6   9  13
14   +7  +5  +3     +7  +4    3   5   8  11  14    3   7  10  14
15   +7  +5  +3     +7  +5    3   6   9  12  15    3   7  11  15
16   +8  +6  +4     +8  +5    4   6   9  12  16    4   8  12  16
17   +8  +6  +4     +8  +5    4   6  10  13  17    4   8  12  17
18   +9  +6  +4     +9  +6    4   7  10  14  18    4   9  13  18
19   +9  +7  +4     +9  +6    4   7  11  15  19    4   9  14  19
20  +10  +7  +5    +10  +6    5   8  12  16  20    5  10  15  20

Skill Ranks: Max -> 6, High -> 5, Medium -> 4, Low -> 3. You don't gain extra ranks for a high intelligence score.

-Favored Skills: All characters have a number of favored skills equal to 2+Int bonus, with a minimum of 2. The character is naturally able for those skills, and get a +1 bonus on any check on said skills if he has at least a single rank in them. If those skills are also class skills for any class that the character has, the bonus granted to that skill for being a favored skill increases to +3. A character can only have levels on classes on which at least 2 of her favored skills are class skills.
Example: Deis, the half-elf, has an intelligence of 14, so she has 4 favored skills. She chooses Knowledge (Arcana), Acrobatics, Senses and Concentration as her favored skills. She then would be able to get rogue (class skills: Acrobatics, Senses, Mechanics, Diplomacy, Subterfuge) levels and wizard (class skills: Concentration, Knowledge [Arcana], Knowledge [Any other than Arcana], Diplomacy, Tactics) levels, but not Barbarian (class skills: Senses, Survival, Handle Animals, Leadership, Intimidate, Athletics) levels.
A character can multiclass freely, as long as he meets the prerequisites for all his classes.

-Skills: A character cannot have more trained skills than his own intelligence. A trained skill is one in which the character has at least a single rank. The maximum number of ranks a character can have on a single skill is 4 + 1/4 character level. The skill check has the following format: 1D20 + Skill Ranks + Favored Skill Bonus (+1/+3) + Ability Modifier. The Difficulty Class for a regular skill check is 15 + 1/2 average character level.

-Hit Points: This is one of the things I wanted to reform. Armor gives Damage Reduction, healing is not strange, and the damage has been toned down on average. So, the quantity of hit points has been reduced a lot.
Max Hit Points: 1D10/1D8 (medium size/small size) + Constitution attribute + Extra Hit Points from Class. So, a first level human fighter with 14 con would have 1D10+14+1, while the same fighter at level 20 would have 1D10+14+20.

Reigns of Knowledge

All characters have special abilities, which define how they confront the world. Some of them rely on pure martial prowess, while others use magical knowledge to cast powerful spells, and a few use the power granted to them by the destiny or the circumstances. The powers, however, can be divided in three categories:

1-Martial Abilities: The power to control your own physical prowess to use it against any odds. Usually, you can find three ways to focus your abilities:
1.1-Adrenaline: Many warriors focus the energy generated by the heat of the battle into inhuman deeds. A barbarian breaking apart rocks with a single hit, a fighter who springs multiple foots back without previous advice, or a warrior who looks almost like he reacts on a different time rate, all of them use their adrenaline to get effects impossible to a normal human.
1.2-Maneuvers: Many warriors try to bring together movements and actions in order to put themselves into an advantageous position, allowing them to land a hit they would otherwise be unable to. A fencer landing a lunge after a feint, a rogue rolling under an opponent to be able to hit him in the back... Most maneuvers depend on certain conditions to be successful, or are somewhat less deadly, but put the enemy or yourself on those conditions.
1.3-Concentration: It is not strange to hear about powerful combatants who, just by means of pure force of will, dedication and training, are able to do incredible feats. A swordsman who splits an oak on a single, well placed hit, or even a martial artist who channels his inner "ki" into a fiery blast are examples of this path. Most of the time, however, those abilities requires the character to focus into an special state of mind.

2-Mystic Abilities:

3-Supernatural Abilities:

----------------

Later more.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 11:02:16 AM by Shadeseraph »
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: [Custom] Mixed and Interrelated Powers System
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 12:45:36 AM »
Very hard to tell what the game would be like just with this simple framework. Hopefully you can provide us with more info soon! I'm not sure about the very small amount of hitpoints though. It would seem that damage would need to be DRASTICALLY reduced. I'd also be interested to see how exactly characters improve over the levels if they aren't going to be dealing more damage (I'm intrigued by the possibilities, not put off mind you).

What exactly do the mystic/martial/supernatural progressions do/mean?

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 09:53:05 AM »
I know. it is going to be a long work, but I need to start from something, and the basics look like the obvious thing for that job. About the damage, it's something I've been thinking on it for a lot of time. In a way, the combat system revolves around not getting hit (or getting hit inefficiently). The damage, in fact, increases with levels, but the defenses do so. Well, that's something I will deal with later. For now, let's say that even if the game has hit points, it is not "HP based", but "wound based".

Martial, Supernatural and Mystic progressions are things I want to introduce later, but, basically, they are the equivalent to initiator level, "non-mundane special abilities" or "inner power" level, and caster/spell level, respectively. Example: Martial level 5 for a barbarian would roughly be the equivalent of having access to 3 level tiger claw maneuvers. the Supernatural level for a shape shifter would control his shapeshifting abilities. the Mystic level for a caster would control the maximum powers of his spells. While the powers for a cleric or a wizard can be quite different, the principles on which they work (how to channel magic energy, how to learn and interact with spells) are pretty much identical, so a caster would use his Mystic level for both "arcane" and "divine" spellcasting. By the same reasoning, a shape shifter with a Supernatural level of 7 would be able to use any demonic power he would have with the same proficiency, because both abilities tap on the intrinsic power of the character.

Thanks for the input ^^.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 11:14:29 AM by Shadeseraph »
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 10:46:32 AM »
Got it. Okay, once you continue to flesh some things out, I think I'll be able to get it more, and I do think I'm seeing where you're going with the HP/avoid damage/wound idea.