Author Topic: Freeform tournament! (Always open)  (Read 3844 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Freeform tournament! (Always open)
« on: October 31, 2008, 09:06:19 PM »
Something a little faster to get into than the PbP Arena...
TVTropes links: Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny, Tournament Arc

We get a ton of characters (players can have more than one) and throw them all into a tournament. The winner of each match is determined randomly beforehand to avoid arguments, so put on a show!

It's freeform, as in "no stats required".

Characters can have any origin - Githyanki pirates fighting shinigami? Sure! Just make them interesting. ;)

Link to forum
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 05:06:27 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: Freeform tournament!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 09:18:21 PM »
Interesting... I'll try to come up with something kickass!

Handy Links

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 03:39:42 PM »
Sounds interesting. Hows the victory determination work? Pick an outcome randomly between 2 characters and then figure out how that happened? Any 3-4 way free for alls?
*rummages around in bag for characters to rip off of*
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 11:21:25 PM »
Sounds like it's made of pure badassium and awesome concentrate, with bits of Chuck Norris sprinkled on top for flavor.

Count me in.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 06:56:03 AM »
Sounds interesting. Hows the victory determination work? Pick an outcome randomly between 2 characters and then figure out how that happened? Any 3-4 way free for alls?
I was planning on the first, but I suppose there could be special events like exhibition matches. Maybe a storyline in the background...
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Freeform tournament! (Always open)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 09:01:06 PM »
This reminds me of nintendo deathmatch. Those unfamiliar go to nintendoland.com, it's quite interesting and it solves a lot of highly contested hypotheticals.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 06:30:42 AM »
<Insert expression of interest here>

... I'm going to have to work on the characterisation bit, aren't I?
I know gameology-fu.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 12:48:42 PM »
I think given the number of characters that can be fielded, I wouldn't be surprised if a good number of them are ripped right out of various media. :D

Just for the Ultimate Showdown effect alone.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 02:01:54 PM »
Meh, probably. That could make it more fun, though, especially if someone makes a expy of a badass who gets beaten up in every match or something. :P

Maybe there could be a division for fights between existing characters, though it would be odd to determine those randomly. You'd need someone impartial, or you'd get Superman beating up on Goku and Elminster at the same time.

Forum, please...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:05:49 PM by Prime32 »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 03:40:35 PM »
Part of the fun is Superman getting trashed by a swarm of lolcats.
Some kind of tiering might be needed though.
Something like this:

Isn't in the same scale as this:

Or this :

Pretty sure even galactus would find some trouble fighting the second one, size alone.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 04:11:12 PM »
Your subforum's up.  I don't have a problem with leaving this unlocked for the time being.

I'm a little confused as to how the tournament's going to work, though. Can you elaborate?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 05:00:35 PM »
Well, there was going to be a stickied thread where people post their characters (rapid-fire!), and a thread for each match.

We'll sort out a structure for the tournaments after some characters are up.

Link - Penultimate Showdown of Moderate Destiny
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 05:23:10 PM by Prime32 »
My work

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 05:10:34 PM »
So literally this is an anything goes type thing, where you could submit bugs bunny along with Voltron?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 05:19:02 PM »
Mmh, how about some pop culture, pulp and other iconic characters as well?
People like Bruce Campbell, Lemmy, Rob Halford etc. :D
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 05:19:02 PM »
So literally this is an anything goes type thing, where you could submit bugs bunny along with Voltron?
Yeah, but not those exact characters (you'd need something more fair than a coin toss to determine the winner there).

Hmm... I really need an "existing characters" division, don't I? :plot
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 05:20:45 PM by Prime32 »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 05:49:45 PM »
Yeah, but not those exact characters (you'd need something more fair than a coin toss to determine the winner there).

I dunno, Bugs bunny could use Toon Physics to defeat Voltron, or could be ginsued before Toon Physics kick in.

Hmm... I really need an "existing characters" division, don't I? :plot

Definitely.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 05:53:09 PM »
I dunno, Bugs bunny could use Toon Physics to defeat Voltron, or could be ginsued before Toon Physics kick in.
From what I heard of a Smash Bros-style game with Shonen Jump characters, they are divided into three categories - Comedy (BoboBo) beats Power (DBZ) beats Realistic (Death Note). Presumably, Bo defeats Goku with Toon Physics. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is probably in both categories at once, though (since it is so powerful it can ignore physics).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 06:09:28 PM by Prime32 »
My work

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »
I'm in please.
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
My work