Author Topic: Bendefig Chroesgad  (Read 36026 times)

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
Re: Bendefig Chroesgad
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2008, 04:08:53 PM »
Seeing the creature fleeing before his eyes, Caden starts sprinting.

Bloody rug, chompin' down on us and fleeing 'cause it can't take the heat. The hell he'll get away

[spoiler] 100 feet withdraw?
Maybe I'm just beeing annoying here, but shouldn't the whole "entagled creatures move at half speed / a withdrawing creature moves up to twice it's normal movement" cancel each other?
So, unless it has a standard movement of 100 feet a turn, shouldn't it be 50?

If so, I'll move 30 feet and then blast him with my breath weapon (30 feet line, so I'll get him). You allready have my roll.

If not, two move actions to catch up, 60 feet.

It really doesn't matter, if that is your decision, but I'm just wondering if your factored in that it's entagled. :)
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2008, 07:57:30 AM »
Shaking the frost out of her hair, Ira paused for a second, frowning at her allies' decision to move up.

"Tch." Her distaste barely audible, she bound through the snow, following the creature's footsteps. Sword hung backhanded behind her arm, she appeared to dash at the enemy, outpacing the other two.

Maybe I'm too soft when it comes to the wildlife.

[spoiler]Alright, so if it moves 50':

RP: In a flash, she spun around, grasping her sword in both hands and striking at the enemy in a spinning blitz.

Charge, PA 2 (1d20+8=14), Damage, 2h + PA 2 + Inspire Courage (1d10+10=12) if it hits.

Woo, bad rolls. *__*

Otherwise, if it moves the full 100':

Double move, 80'. Turn 3/6 of Ferocity, halfway there. 100' withdraw is still absurd though... it moves 50', eh? I'm not good at long-range, so I'll probably end up leaving this up to the two of you. At least I only get sickened (and not fatigued) when Ferocity ends... and only until the end of the encounter, whenever that would be.[/spoiler]

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2008, 12:09:20 PM »
Combat Round #2 Updated
The blast of cold was something Ira wasn't quite expecting, but it was something she was prepared to deal with. Ducking down, she let the cold mix with the blast of fire from Caden, letting some of the ice shed off of her cloak. Grateful for the assistance (and warmth!), she pressed the advantage, striking the beast again, unphased by its resilience towards fear.

The monster howls in pain, shying away from Ira and then bursting up the slope, moving at a lightning pace to scramble away from the vicious clubbing it has endured. Its paws toss snow into the air as it speeds across the land, snow churning with each stride.

Can't let him get away! Canere stretches his hands out toward the beast while charging forward. A series of shooting stars pours from his hands toward the beast's retreating back, striking him squarely.

Seeing the creature fleeing before his eyes, Caden starts sprinting.

Bloody rug, chompin' down on us and fleeing 'cause it can't take the heat. The hell he'll get away

[spoiler]Damage from Round #1: Creature 31, Ira 5.

Shadow, you'll want to redo actions

Initiative Order:
  • 15 - Rufei - Attack hits. 12 damage.
  • 9 - Creature - Withdraw. 50 ft. away. Save vs Fear: url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1840184/]1d20+3=20[/url]. Success. 9 Damage from EE.
  • 6 - TWS - Magic Missile for 8.
  • 5 - Shadow - You'll need the two move actions this round. Blast next round. You can use the same result if you want.
[/spoiler]
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2008, 02:56:39 PM »
[spoiler]Fine by me, two move actions this round. I'll torch the bugger next turn then :)
And yes, I'd like to use the allready rolled roll. [/spoiler]
[Spoiler]
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2008, 03:58:36 PM »
[spoiler]Alright, so to reconfirm for Combat Round 3, I'm performing the charge. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll hit, unless if the monster's Dex has dropped so much that its natural armor won't do much for it. That is, if it has nat armor. 14 to hit, 12 damage if it does.

And duration of Fear Aura is at 9 rounds (1 minute - 1 rnd) currently. Keeps ticking, regardless of whether or not it saves. And 3 turns until Ira sucks... 3/6 Ferocity.[/spoiler]

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2008, 05:00:32 PM »
[spoiler]Assuming he continues to retreat...[/spoiler]
Canere drops his harp, the strap catching it and holding it in place as he walks forward and takes his bow off his shoulder. He draws an arrow from his quiver, nocks it, draws and aims, and lets fly at the fleeing monster's back.
[spoiler]Free action, drop harp. Inspire round 1/5.
Move action, walk 30 feet and draw bow.
Standard action, bow attack Bow attack, bow damage (1d20+8, 1d8+2=[3, 8], [5, 2])
Good to know invisible castle still hates me...
[/spoiler]
As Canere looses, some of the snow and ice under his foot comes loose and his arrow flies high and wide.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2008, 12:00:53 PM »
Combat Round #3
Ira bound through the snow, following the creature's footsteps. Sword hung backhanded behind her arm, she appeared to dash at the enemy, outpacing the other two. Her blow struck nothing but snow, the creature's sure footing and fast pace slipping away from her.

The monster turns, unable to get away from his foes, turns, slipping back away from Ira's blow and opening his mouth, again bathing her in a deep wave of ice and chill wind, the gust cutting through her, riming her in ice.

Canere drops his harp, the strap catching it and holding it in place as he walks forward and takes his bow off his shoulder. He draws an arrow from his quiver, nocks it, draws and aims, and lets fly at the fleeing monster's back. As Canere looses, some of the snow and ice under his foot comes loose and his arrow flies high and wide.

Caden rushes forward, bringing his great form within the range of his deadly breath. Unleashing the fury from within him, he washes the creature from head to toe in deep, scalding flames. Caught in a scalding mess, the creature howls.

[spoiler]Total Damage: Creature 51, Ira 5.

Initiative Order:
  • 15 - Rufei - Charge misses.
  • 9 - Creature - Cold Breath 4d6, Fort DC 16. Ira only.
  • 6 - TWS - Archery misses.
  • 5 - Shadow - Can't seem to find the rolled damage
[/spoiler]

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2008, 01:46:09 PM »
Canere continues to advance as he draws another arrow, nocks, pulls and aims. The difficulty of avoiding his ally is too great, however, and he shoots far wide again.

[spoiler]Bow attack, Bow damage (1d20+8, 1d8+2=[2, 8], [7, 2])
 :banghead
edit: Inspire Round 2/5[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 09:29:40 PM by TheWordSlinger »
Currently playing:
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2008, 03:29:10 PM »
If I can reach it with my breath weapon this turn:
Keeping up his relentless pursuit, Caden notice that the entangling flames starts to dwindle.
Not wanting to have to keep chasing this thing all over the mountain range, he gouts out another burst of flames to quickly end the battle.

If I can't:

Having a score to settle with the overgrown rug, Caden keeps rushing ahead, determined to make it pay for threatening his comrades.

[spoiler]Here's the rolls:

The duration damage of EE during the round I move (round 2):
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1850266/

Breath Weapon damage and EE duration damage roll (round 3):
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1839914/

And since it's the last turn EE's in effect, another Pure Damage roll here (round 4):

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1850276/

Damage 12 (3+3+6), EE's damage 2

Alternative:

Move actions and EE's damage will be 2.
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2008, 03:36:29 PM »
[spoiler]Ack, yellow demon! yellow demon![/spoiler]

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »
[spoiler]Fort (1d20+7=25), Icy Breath (2d6=7) for the icy breath.[/spoiler]

Seeing the creature's mouth gape open, Ira moved closer to the beast, pushing her gloved hand into the core of the blast. The numbing pain surged through her arm, but the blast parted around her, again doing relatively little to the warrior. Repositioning herself, her left arm fell to her side, temporarily unuseable. Her look, however, and the positioning of her sword proved to threaten the great beast. She grinned, knowing that her gamble could indeed pay off.

[spoiler]I'm not quite sure how to shift (are diagonal shifts/movements allowed?). If they are allowed, I'm shifting to the left of it so that if the monster was on the 5 position (on a numpad), I'd be at the 4. Otherwise, the tumble at DC 15 to move out of threatened space: Tumble (1d20+10=18)... and then move to the position by going around its threatning spaces to the 4 position. Ira then makes a demoralize attempt (since the intimidating ferocity didn't work): Intimidate (1d20+15=32).

I'd be surprised if the monster still manages to succeed. And how I'd kill for a bullrush about now. :)

EDIT: The logic for the movement if I have to tumble is to move back one square (10' move equivalent) + move around (25' move equivalent) = 35' move equivalent < 40' move speed for Ira. I may have paid an HP per level, but I think the +10' was worth it.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 09:41:58 PM by Rufei »

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2008, 12:04:06 PM »
The creature screams, a roar echoing through the mountains, rebounding from one to the other. The howl is ear-splitting, and as the sounds die down and the creature subsides into the snow, a low rumble comes from above, a response to the death cry of the creature.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2008, 01:30:16 PM »
Moving quickly, Canere replaces his bow on his shoulder and moves to Ira's side. He reaches out to her and channels the positive energy trapped in his belt. If we want to survive this, we'll need to be at our best...
[spoiler]Spending one charge from my Healing Belt.
healing (2d8=14)
Did anyone else get hurt?
[/spoiler]
Currently playing:

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2008, 08:39:01 PM »
[spoiler]
the creature subsides into the snow

Is it withdrawing... moving... just sitting down or something? And no one got hurt... only the lowest HP member of the party took hits. :P Is someone else here capable of taking up the mantle of tank... or am I stuck doing that? I'm considerably squishy, esp. with the LA +1.

Also, is the encounter over... if it withdrew/moved away?

And full HP again, btw. Free action gratitude, btw.[/spoiler]

Ira looks over to her ally, grateful for the assistance, nodding to let him know she was in proper order again.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2008, 09:10:37 PM »
[spoiler]Burned to death. However, I'd pay attention to the noise[/spoiler]

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2008, 10:27:46 PM »
[spoiler]Obviously. Higher ground has always been a good option - are there trees around, and if so how high/thick are they? What does the terrain look like? And how good are people at climbing/how many grappling hooks do we have? Ira has one on her.

I'm not even going to attempt the listen check to determine how far away those distant roars were. -enough to listen will essentially make Ira deaf.

EDIT: Daggers make lovely long range weapons sometimes. Also, what is your policy on falls being charges? For instance, if enemy is directly below me, I drop at least 10' to a square next to it and smack it hard. Is this a charge if I spend a full attack action in doing so?[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:20:02 AM by Rufei »

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2008, 11:42:12 AM »
The terrain about the three heroes is a wide and shallow rise, the lowest slopes of a white mountain, covered in the snow that eternally cloaks the northern range. There is little in the way of vegetation here, lost beneath the chilling snow and whipping winds, a landscape of greys and whites and blacks, with all other colour drained away. It is a barren land, with so little growing that even the floating cities no longer pass overhead, preferring instead the southern reaches of the wall. All that lives here is creatures adapted to the cold, a long forgotten spread that fears the warmth of the summer.

The rumbling and roaring comes from a distant point, far up the mountain, but grows closer with each passing moment. Hints of a cloud can be seen in the glinting light.

[spoiler]If it's a controlled fall and you land on your feet at the end, that would be fine.[/spoiler]

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2008, 12:59:41 PM »
Caden! Canere speaks abruptly, I don't know how much snow;s gonna come down on us, but is there any chance you could use your breath to hit the section that would overtake us as it does so? Either way, we should get as far down slope as possible. Without another word, Canere begins sprinting down the slope (assuming such a pace is safe), looking for any terrain changes which would suffice to ride out the avalanche.
[spoiler]Looks like InvisibleCastle's down, do I need a Spot check?[/spoiler]
Currently playing:

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2008, 01:19:48 PM »
[Spoiler]Roll one when it comes back up.[/spoiler]

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2008, 03:40:34 PM »
Oh shit, avalanche

Taking a moment to savour his revenge, Caden then quickly turns around and starts moving as fast as he can after Canere, shouting.

"Aye, but if the size of that thing's gonna be as big of an ass as I think, I'll just hit a part of it and the rest would hit us before I could draw another breath."

Pumping his legs through the snow, he curses about the origin of the avalanche, it's heritage and what it can use to examine it's nonexistant rectum whilst preforming certain activites with creatures of less resputable fashion.

"I'll do what I can, but just keep runnin' "

[spoiler]I counted on doing the tanking; Though my AC isn't something to write home about, my HP ain't to shabby with a solid 50.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:44:19 PM by Shadowhunter »
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius