Author Topic: Bendefig Chroesgad  (Read 36020 times)

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
Re: Bendefig Chroesgad
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »
The three friends scour the land surrounding the cliffs, searching for a place that could hide them from the cold. Only after the sun had dipped below the horizon, and the cutting wind climbed into a scything knife, did they find shelter: a dark mouth buried against the face of rock, low and with an overhanging stone.

[spoiler]Those are some nice rolls, Rufei. Invisible Castle must really like you  :lmao[/spoiler]
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2009, 07:43:39 PM »
A few moments passed before Ira stopped staring at the overhang. Expressing only mild concern through a worried glance at Canere, she headed in to dodge the icy wind, shivering slightly.

[spoiler]Oh, it's a complicated relationship. :P At least we aren't in combat, seeing as a roll of -2 on spot means that she can't spot something at 0'. :twitch

Is it a cave? Or just a depression in the stone? And if it's a cave, how deep is it, assuming that we have some source of light? (Or rather, how deep do we think it is?)[/spoiler]

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2009, 11:54:54 AM »
Canere steps into the overhang, letting his glowing aura reveal what was hidden by shadow.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2009, 01:35:28 PM »
The deep cleft runs back into the mountain, turning as it does, narrow and dim. There is enough space for each person to squeeze in, but each would have to lie feet to head, and the person at the mouth would have the cold air whipping across his form. The curve in the channel marks the point at which no more can be seen, some twenty feet down the corridor.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2009, 09:49:01 PM »
"I'll take the front. I'm the sturdiest one, so a bit 'o cold shouldn't be to hard for me to cope with. Still, wouldn't complain if we went a bit further in, if we can. No need to freeze more than we must."

I do plan on searching for my rations after we've slept, that kind of magic isn't all that common and it looks like we would need some kind of income of food. Even if it's gonna be very little after we've split it in three.

[spoiler]Gah, well that was a turbulent few days. Got fired and everything, but now I'm back :)[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2009, 04:23:49 PM »
Ira, you sleep in the middle. If anyone else has sustained damage, Canere will use the last charge from his Healing Belt on them.
Currently playing:
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »
[spoiler]Well, I've taken 11 damage, which - if you have any healing left - would be pretty nice not to have.
Though, you've taken more damage from the fall and not healed yourself... so that would probably be a better idea.[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2009, 03:28:45 AM »
Before he closes his eyes, Canere lets the last energy of his belt seep into his tired muscles, relaxing and soothing them a little bit.
[spoiler]2d8=4[/spoiler]
Currently playing:

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2009, 07:01:02 AM »
Ira simply nodded in compliance. Not like she was in any position to complain - she'd probably end up being the warmest, and Ira wasn't one to be squeamish in terms of contact. The howling wind dimmed as she too drifted off into sleep, unable to force herself to keep watch.

[spoiler]I'll need a ruling on whether or not tumbling would break some of the fall damage. I'm at 17/27 HP without the tumble, 22/27 HP with. Sleeping'll bring Ira up +3 HP, assuming no interruptions.

And yeah, keep some of that healing to yourself. As much as I occupy the frontlines, we all depend on our friendly aasimar.[/spoiler]

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2009, 04:13:26 PM »
The morning dawns bright yet grey, the sun diffracting through clouds overhead, muting the sharpness of the landscape. The snow has banked against the base of the cliff, a thin wall between the heroes and the outside air. It kept the cavern warmer over the night, trapping the heat from the slumbering friends within the narrow cleft.

The world outside is afflicted only with a stiff breeze, and a new day awaits for their journey towards that fallen city.

[spoiler]No tumble on the falling damage.

Accelerate the journey again?[/spoiler]

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2009, 09:43:18 PM »
[spoiler]Sounds good...If it takes more than a day, Canere will be using his Healing Belt after they make camp.[/spoiler]
Currently playing:

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2009, 07:56:57 AM »
[spoiler]I agree - the journey shall be fast-forwarded! As for multiple days, Ira will lay off of the survival checks as she can't make those checks very easily.

20/27 HP if we don't have any extra days.[/spoiler]

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2009, 10:14:20 AM »
[spoiler]Canere currently 34/40. one charge from his belt plus another night of sleep will get him back to full, even if he rolls ones. For Ira/Caden, he'd need to roll at least a 3 on 2d8...[/spoiler]
Currently playing:

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »
After a quick search through the ruined snow recovers their rations, the three friends turn again upon the trail from whence they had been deflected. Stride upon stride took them further from their home, passing through valleys, over hills, each night a glance to the sky and the moon, following the stars as they lead across the land, pointing inexorably towards that ruined city as it lay beneath the mountain, a ruin within a cleft.

Each day and night grows colder, as the northern winter sinks down the grasp upon the land, clawing at their garments, whipping against their faces. Mornings they wake covered in frost, ice clinging to the steel of their blades, turning them white and grey, ghastly creatures trudging through drifts and dells, tors and ghylls. Food began to run low, such was the length of their journey, and so barren was the land around that no creature nor plant could yet be seen, for a blanket of white lay upon the earth, a pillow of strangling white that stifled the life of the place.

A glance down from the top of a hill, one day yet far on, showed the tip of a spire, ruined and white with snow, pressing itself out of the surrounding murk, perhaps a solitary monument to where civilization once stood.

[spoiler]And off we go!  :D[/spoiler]

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2009, 12:11:06 PM »
[spoiler]Old reply:
By all means, fast-forward this. I will, however, keep looking for my everlasting rations if they became lost during our little tumble down the mountain side, up to a few hours if I have to. Total search would be a 20, Caden do suffer from poor eyesight and the snow doesn't really help. I really don't want to loose it, spec. considering I payed twice it's price when I bought it :lol
Lesse... regained HP overnight is level + con mod, right?
So, after one night I'd regained 10 HP, with 11 taken. I don't think I need that healing belt after all
;)[/spoiler]

New reply:

Standing over what seemed to be the sixty-fourth -or sixty-fifth, Caden wasn't really sure- hill in two days, the man quietly exlaims.

"Well, we're almost there. Tis' blasted snow's beginning to test my patience."

He moves slowly from side to side, leaning upon his left foot, then his right to keep his blood flowing. Trying his best to counter the slow decline that eventually will lead to frostbite.
Absent-minded, he brushes yet another bit of snow from his clothes, whilst peering towards their destination.

"I was mightly pissed when I had to pay twice the price for my enchanted rations from that cheap kobold. Besides the awful stench in the place he called "home" and his yappin' tone, I nearly punched him and left. But since a few days back, can't say it wasn't worth the little critter."

He utters what could be interpretated as a laugh, but the shortness of it makes it hard to tell.
Everybody's saving what energy they have at this point, the chill sapping strenght to move and will to speak.

"Well we ain't gettin' anywhere we want by standin' here."

With that, Caden once more starts to move towards their distant goal, it's bleak grey a welcome to the never ending white.
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2009, 06:54:04 PM »
Thank you Canere utters a prayer of thanks to any gods who might have been guiding him so far.
He looks at the spire, wondering about what lies under the snow which covers the remainder of the ruins. Maybe here we'll find the ancient secrets we were searching for. Maybe this remnant of the Golden Age can help us restore it. With a new spring in his stride, Canere begins forward, hope blooming in his mind.
Currently playing:

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2009, 10:08:46 PM »
Ira managed a muted chuckle at Caden's "joke", though she continued to halt for a brief second every now and then, shivering and bringing her hands closer to her body. If there would be an attack, she would absolutely require the dexterity of her hands. And ice blocks for hands were certainly not known for their utility.

She looked onward as they had ascended the tip of the hill. Canere had muttered something, but it took Ira a while to notice the lone white needle amongst the massive blanket of snow. Relief would come after they reached it, though, and so she trudged on with the others, determined to seek shelter from the wind.

"At least it's sunny," she said, glancing briefly up at the orb in the sky, hovering low over the horizon.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2009, 11:40:12 AM »
As they arrive near to the spire, the snow drifts sink deep and fast, swallowing their legs and making forward progress all but impossible. They reach down with their feet, but it seems there is no base below them, merely fathom upon fathom of drowning snow, reaching out to pull the heroes under the white blanket.

Examination across the moat of softly fallen snow shows many more mounds, lumping up near the spire of broken summit, perhaps hinting at buildings buried beneath and below.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2009, 12:07:34 PM »
The city's buried. I could have Caden uncover it... Canere looks around at the surrounding area, But we'd probably just trigger another avalanche...
Clenching and unclenching his fists, he looks to his traveling companions, the new hope he had felt blooming in his heart quickly fading. We're so close, do either of you have any ideas?
Currently playing:

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2009, 10:07:59 PM »
"Well, we can't say here. Unprotected in this weather is suicide. I ain't plannin' on that. If anythin's left worth the trouble, it would be in the buildings close to the surface. Bigger chance that somethin' juciy wasn't buried. I ain't gonna stroll through those mountains back home without a proper look around. I hate doin' stuff for no benefit."

He puffs his cheeks, lets out a sigh and scratches the scar running down his face.

"Thing is that we need somethin' to stand on. I could melt and melt and melt until I faint from lack of air," at the comment, he chuckles, as if to say that would require a lot of effort "but that'll do us no good if we couldn't get back later."

[spoiler]He looks around for any mounds that appear reachable without having to go through a lot of the loose snow, something 30 feet or less away from the "edge" of the circle so to speak. Spot 20 blank.[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius