Author Topic: Please help me build something around a vague idea.  (Read 9999 times)

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
Re: Please help me build something around a vague idea.
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2008, 09:11:29 PM »
What you want to understand is that in epic, the Incantatrix is the king of gishes.
I don't know - honestly Swiftblades are rather awesome.

The only thing that fights better is a cleric with an incantatrix cohort. As in, the Cleric Archivist takes the cake with mostly everything in epic.
Fixed that for you. (Time Stop, Foresight, persisted Choose Destiny, persisted Shapechange, etc...)
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2008, 09:17:04 PM »
What you want to understand is that in epic, the Incantatrix is the king of gishes.
Swiftblades are very awesome.  However, they are less powerful at the start.  Divine power gish rewards quicker than swiftblade.

Since the OP is starting level 8ish last I checked the Incantgish is stronger at the start and has plenty of room to grow.

Remember kids, there is no wrong time for incantatrix.  Now, if he wanted to play a swiftblade rather than the most hardcore caster he can, then going something like Wiz 6/ SB 10/ Unseen Seer 4/ Incantatrix into epic would be *very* playable.  However, it packs less of a punch at level 8.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
Swiftblades are very awesome.  However, they are less powerful at the start.  Divine power gish rewards quicker than swiftblade.

Since the OP is starting level 8ish last I checked the Incantgish is stronger at the start and has plenty of room to grow.

Remember kids, there is no wrong time for incantatrix.  Now, if he wanted to play a swiftblade rather than the most hardcore caster he can, then going something like Wiz 6/ SB 10/ Unseen Seer 4/ Incantatrix into epic would be *very* playable.  However, it packs less of a punch at level 8.
I agree with everything you said. :)

Well, except for calling me kid, kid. ;)

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2008, 06:20:38 AM »
Persisted spells >>> free hastes. Plus, in epic you can easily do both.
The only thing that fights better is a cleric with an incantatrix cohort. As in, the Cleric Archivist takes the cake with mostly everything in epic.
Fixed that for you. (Time Stop, Foresight, persisted Choose Destiny, persisted Shapechange, etc...)

And, um, where does the cleric lose in that comparison? You need to pick the right domains, of course and get any of the spontaneous domain feats. Plus you forgot the most important spells: Permanent Emanation (Greater consumptive Field) and Persisted Owl's Insight (via Hierophant).

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2008, 12:01:20 PM »
Arguable. Extra actions >> a bunch of buffs (here I'm moving the frame of reference a bit: since below you're abusing GCF I'm guessing Epic Spellcasting as-is is in, which means the Swiftblade also has all the buffs he needs).

And, um, where does the cleric lose in that comparison? You need to pick the right domains, of course and get any of the spontaneous domain feats. Plus you forgot the most important spells: Permanent Emanation (Greater consumptive Field) and Persisted Owl's Insight (via Hierophant).
GCF is Evil and so not always usable (even some Neutral clerics will balk at killing live creatures to increase their power). The point is that the Cleric has to choose his domains (a limited number even with a bunch of PrCs) and only has a limited number of Miracles to emulate Druid/Bard/... spells :  so he will end up losing out, whereas the Archivist can get Turn Undead easily - the most important Cleric class feature.

I guess the Artificer can come out on top of both of them.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:02:53 PM by Omen of Peace »

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »
If you're going to go the incantgish route with the War domain you might want to take a level of archmage if you can work the feats in, the SLA higher arcane lets you get around the 1/day limitation of arcane disciple in case your divine power ever gets dispelled.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2008, 03:54:56 PM »
If you're going to go the incantgish route with the War domain you might want to take a level of archmage if you can work the feats in, the SLA higher arcane lets you get around the 1/day limitation of arcane disciple in case your divine power ever gets dispelled.
That's what shadowcraft miracles from first level slots are for.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2008, 05:38:41 PM »

First level slots?  Do tell how one would do that.  Last I checked, shadowcraft mage still needs level 8 slots even with sanctum spell BS.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2008, 05:49:09 PM »

First level slots?  Do tell how one would do that.  Last I checked, shadowcraft mage still needs level 8 slots even with sanctum spell BS.
Residual Magic(CM).

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2008, 06:02:36 AM »
Arguable. Extra actions >> a bunch of buffs (here I'm moving the frame of reference a bit: since below you're abusing GCF I'm guessing Epic Spellcasting as-is is in, which means the Swiftblade also has all the buffs he needs).

GCF is Evil and so not always usable (even some Neutral clerics will balk at killing live creatures to increase their power). The point is that the Cleric has to choose his domains (a limited number even with a bunch of PrCs) and only has a limited number of Miracles to emulate Druid/Bard/... spells :  so he will end up losing out, whereas the Archivist can get Turn Undead easily - the most important Cleric class feature.

I guess the Artificer can come out on top of both of them.
Probably you're right with everything. The good guys get the shaft, as usually :).

However, I think with the tremendous power Clerics get already, the Archivist is just a small step ahead, just for convenience. I know too little about Artificers (due to them being Eberon), but I guess you could be right about that, too.
The only thing that still wins out for cheesiness is, as Uber pointed out, the SCM.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2008, 02:33:34 PM »
All of the Big 5 are about the same power because they all end up casting off each other's lists anyways.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2008, 02:38:58 PM »
All of the Big 5 are about the same power because they all end up casting off each other's lists anyways.
Assuming you nerf spellcasting from shapechanging (one of the assumptions in my tier thread just to make the game function) they only cast a few spells off each other's lists (wyrm wizard/SCM for miracle to pick up shit or just having it on the list).

Archivist casting is more useful endgame than the cleric headstart on turning and domains.  I'd still pick cleric under level 10 or any time I didn't feel like the headache of a prayerbook though.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2008, 03:07:21 PM »
Probably you're right with everything. The good guys get the shaft, as usually :).
They do have a few cool things like the Luminous Armors and a few other good Sanctified spells. But yeah, evil wins.

However, I think with the tremendous power Clerics get already, the Archivist is just a small step ahead, just for convenience.
Agreed. :) That was the nit-picker in me.

The only thing that still wins out for cheesiness is, as Uber pointed out, the SCM.
Which Archivists easily qualify for. :smirk Clerics can do it too with a bit more work.

But yeah Archivist in a very open game is a huge invitation to dumpster-diving. Remember when I found that semi-official online PrC that allows to use psionic powers as divine spells, ubernoob ?  :evillaugh

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2008, 03:15:47 PM »
But yeah Archivist in a very open game is a huge invitation to dumpster-diving. Remember when I found that semi-official online PrC that allows to use psionic powers as divine spells, ubernoob ?  :evillaugh
*shudder*

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »
Linky or explanation please?
I happen to have a very open DM :D
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2008, 03:33:27 PM »
Use Magic Device says hi to alignment restrictions.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2008, 03:58:15 PM »
The Monastic Servant of Auppenser is a semi-official Web Enhancement for Lost Empires of Faerun (yes, the wonder that gave us Greenbound Summoning, the Mythal seed, etc...).