Author Topic: Paladin Captured by Drow Slavers  (Read 31493 times)

Pimpforged

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Paladin Captured by Drow Slavers
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »

Please check the last date posted before posting
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 03:18:53 PM by Pimpforged »

neko128

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2011, 03:24:57 PM »
So I realize that this is post-TPK and the campaign's dead, but did you ever seriously consider brainwash -> agent of ultimate eeeevil?  I mean, it seems to me that the perfect revenge (from a Drow's point of view) for the vile cruelty of inflicting her Lawful Goodness on the world would be to trick/torture/brainwash/enchant/whatever her into the Grand High Evil Warlord of Vengeful Plundering and Evil, or something similar.  Plus, it cuts down on the early torture (they want to weaken her resolve, not her heart) and quite nicely introduces the potential of a grand crusade (what else would they want her to lead?) that they might go off and stop, or get caught up in...

Also, one thing that every discussion I've seen on torture in D&D seems to ignore is the great potential for psionics and magic in torture.  How about the illusion of burning to death?  Cast at a proper power level, they'd feel it without it actually being true - so it'd go on, and on, and on, with no physical damage to the victim.  Put them on the rack?  Why not just stick them in the middle of an illusion about putting them on the wrack?  Saves on space, too (they never have to leave their cell).  How about implanting memories through magic or psionics?  Let them spend a week magically/psionically brainwashing her about how her party was dangling her as bait on the rope, naked and bound, hoping to draw out the Drow who rescued her.  How about researching a new spell, "Illusory Fire Ant Swarm"?  Or "Burst of Pain"?  Or hell - how about researching a modified version of clairaudience/clairvoyance that lets you feel tactile sensations from a distance, lock it onto some other prisoner, and then torture them to death?

Or what about more subtle torture methods?  There's been research on the extremely deleterious effects of extended sensory deprevation.  And "Extended" in there gives them a perfect chance to escape scott-free, as long as the rest of the party is on the ball.

All this being said, while I'd never go out of my way to aim to torture a player (and I don't agree with the previous poster who suggested that's what the DM was trying to do), I'm a firm believe in "Are you sure you want to do that?" "Sure." "Are you really sure?" "Yup!" "Okay.  Then the rock falls on your head, and you die."  I'd rather let the PCs die (...or be tortured) through their own choices than save them through GM fiat and make the campaign essentially without threat.

BrokeAndDrive

• Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2011, 03:36:20 PM »
No one has ever been able to explain why "thread necromancy" is such a horrible thing. Especially on a slow board. Does having three months pass between posts spawn the next Hitler or something?

The whole "thread necromancy" thing just seems arbitrary and retarded.
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Pimpforged

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2011, 03:45:28 PM »
No one has ever been able to explain why "thread necromancy" is such a horrible thing. Especially on a slow board. Does having three months pass between posts spawn the next Hitler or something?

This thread is about a party that TPKed 2 years ago. If someone wants to discuss torture in D&D, why not start a new thread, call it "Torture in D&D", and discuss it there instead of resurrecting a 2 year old thread.

Also...

You silly person you. Everyone knows THIS is how you do thread necromancy...

:lmao

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2011, 03:48:29 PM »

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2011, 08:49:51 AM »
Also, one thing that every discussion I've seen on torture in D&D seems to ignore is the great potential for psionics and magic in torture.  How about the illusion of burning to death?  Cast at a proper power level, they'd feel it without it actually being true - so it'd go on, and on, and on, with no physical damage to the victim.  Put them on the rack?  Why not just stick them in the middle of an illusion about putting them on the wrack?  Saves on space, too (they never have to leave their cell).  How about implanting memories through magic or psionics?  Let them spend a week magically/psionically brainwashing her about how her party was dangling her as bait on the rope, naked and bound, hoping to draw out the Drow who rescued her.  How about researching a new spell, "Illusory Fire Ant Swarm"?  Or "Burst of Pain"?  Or hell - how about researching a modified version of clairaudience/clairvoyance that lets you feel tactile sensations from a distance, lock it onto some other prisoner, and then torture them to death?

Or what about more subtle torture methods?  There's been research on the extremely deleterious effects of extended sensory deprevation.  And "Extended" in there gives them a perfect chance to escape scott-free, as long as the rest of the party is on the ball.
The thing is though, theres better and more reliable ways than torture, since all torture is really good for is wrecking the body and mind. Getting a specific outcome is like trying to make an ice sculpture with a sledgehammer.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2011, 10:41:34 AM »
Nice to know someone read this old thing recently, anyhow.   :P
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM »

Its because people will read the OP, think up an answer, reply, and then realize that their reply will likely go unread unless the OP still frequents the forums.

BG is more lenient about thread necroing though.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2011, 08:56:33 PM »
Unlike GitP, but everybody knows their moderators are mad.  :p

(Seriously, I've got like six months warning on an ACCIDENTAL thread necro...)

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »

You, sir, win the internets. This image goes to my folder for future (ab)use.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

Hand_of_Vecna

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2011, 03:29:47 AM »
Reminds me of the times I've found an interesting topic on GitP and spent 2-3 sessions reading through 10+ pages of posts considering and rethinking my eventual reply then when I log in ready to read the last page or two it's locked for thread necromancy.

I looked back and the lapse was only a couple months and there had been several pages of new posts since the necromancy. The community had spoken this topic needed further discussion after having new life breathed into it by posters new to the forums or hell people that weren't on for a day since there's one board there that encompasses the topics of most of BG's boards so thing's drop of the front page fast. A thread that grows 4 pages in a day wasn't dead it was just resting.

And no making a new thread and linking is not the same.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2011, 06:45:45 AM »

Its because people will read the OP, think up an answer, reply, and then realize that their reply will likely go unread unless the OP still frequents the forums.
Lots of people might read it.
Me, I take necromancy as most commonly done by new or relatively new users, what with the reading ancient threads and suddenly having a Relevant Idea. And well, threads don't belong to the OP anyway, they have a life of their own. :P
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2011, 08:49:42 AM »

Lots of people might read it.
Me, I take necromancy as most commonly done by new or relatively new users, what with the reading ancient threads and suddenly having a Relevant Idea. And well, threads don't belong to the OP anyway, they have a life of their own. :P
No!  It's MY thread, MY baby.

...Oh, God!  Dingoes ate my baby! :shakefist
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?