Author Topic: Templates to Power Up Non-Full Casters (3.5 Core + a few more classes)  (Read 25408 times)

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
Okay, so this is my attempt at a rebalancing of sorts. The WotC boards are filled with "class X fix" after "class X fix" with everybody's take on what that class should be. That's all well and good, but more often than not it seems people are shoehorning the class into one particular roll with their "fixes". Now, I might not be doing much better, after all I'm making "Templates" after archetypes, but I don't think these sho-horn too badly... and if they do, there are three per class, so at least there are some options. :P

Here's a warning: I'm trying to make these guys more versatile than before, with added skillpoints and different combat options/effects. My biggest goal is to raise them up in power so they're around the usefulness level of a wizard... or at least... well, so the wizard and cleric won't out-do them without at least trying.

I posted these on the WotC Classes board, and only two posters evaluated my work (granted they enjoyed it, but I'd like some other opinions as well.) Remember that these are, thus far, only designed to be used with core. I don't have all of the supplements, nor do I even try to make these powerful classes balanced with access to them (there's always going to be some obscure rule that will break the template system to pieces) at the moment. I'm not big into "core only!", but it's an easier environment to work with. If these get a good enough response, I might start looking at making them compatible with supplements.
That said, any helpful questions, comments and thoughts about these templates would be appreciated. Really, it'd be great. :)

Special thanks to bkdubs for the altered partial caster progression used for Paladins, Rangers, and the Tribal Shaman template.

Barbarian Templates -

Feral Tracker: A barbaric hunter, utilizing animal-like traits to track his prey.
"They had deer here... and *sniff... sniff sniff* prepaired their potatoes here. Then they took off that way," Rorik, half-orc Feril Tracker.
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: Hide, Move Silently and Spot - A Feral Tracker is alert and cautious.

Senses of the Predator: A Feral Tracker gains the Track feat at first level, as well as the Scent ability.

Quick Climb:
A Feral Tracker of 4th level gains the ability to scale vertical surfaces rapidly. He gains a climb speed equal to one-half his movement speed.

Pouncing Ambush: When a Feral tracker reaches 8th level, his swiftness and cunning culminate into a single brutal attack on an unwary foe. The Feral Tracker may now initiate a full-attack action during a surprise round in which he is acting.

Scent of Fear: A Feral Tracker of 12th level deals extra damage equal to his Barbarian level when attacking shaken or more fearful foes. This extra damage is a direct result of the Feral Tracker's increased ferocity, and affects even creatures immune to critical hits.

Thunderous Roar: A Feral Tracker of 16th level gains the ability to unleash a terrible roar to intimidate his foes, as well as inspire his allies. Once per encounter, the Feral Tracker may use this ability to attempt to demoralize (via intimidate) all enemies within a 30ft radius, as well as grant a moral bonus equal to 1/4 his Barbarian level to all allies within the same distance.

Heart-Stopping Ambush: A 20th level Feral Tracker attacks so fiercely that any opponent surprise-attacked by him has a chance to die of pure fright. If a Feral Tracker deals damage in melee combat during a surprise round, every opponent he has damaged in melee must make a will save (DC=10+1/2 Barbarian level+Charisma). A Feral Tracker can choose to make himself look slightly less imposing and only cause his opponents to faint.[/spoiler]

Tribal Shaman: A powerful warrior with limited and natural spellcasting.
"Careful, wizard, you criticize what you do not understand..." Karree Hren, Tribal Shaman.
[spoiler]Add:

Class skills: Concentration, Knowledge (Arcana), and Spellcraft - A tribal Shaman is possessed of a more honed will than her comrades, and has gained knowledge of mysticism through the shaman before her.

Savage Casting: The Tribal Shaman may cast spells gained from her Tribal Shaman levels during a rage. In addition, any spells cast in this fashion gain a +1 to their DC. This bonus increases at 5th level, and every five levels after.

Spells: A Tribal Shaman gains the following spell progression, and chooses her daily spells from the Druid spell list. A Tribal Shaman's extra spell slots and the DC of her spells are determined by her Wisdom score.
Code: [Select]
LV    1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
1.     0
2.     1
3.     1   0
4.     1   1
5.     2   1
6.     2   1   0
7.     2   2   1
8.     2   2   1
9.     3   2   1   0
10.    3   2   2   1
11.    3   3   2   1
12.    3   3   2   1   0
13.    4   3   2   2   1
14.    4   3   3   2   1
15.    4   4   3   2   1
16.    4   4   3   2   2
17.    5   4   3   3   2
18.    5   4   4   3   2
19.    5   5   4   3   2
20.    5   5   4   3   3
[/spoiler]

Unstoppable Berserker: A highly destructive war machine, focusing on power above all else.
"Krog the juggernaut! Pretty hooman!"
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: Escape Artist* - Cells and ropes cannot hold an Unstoppable Berserker for long.
The Unstoppable Berserker uses his strength modifier instead of dexterity modifier for Escape Artist checks. If he has Escape Artist ranks from another class, he uses the higher of his dexterity or strength modifiers.

Brutal Combat: An Unstoppable Berserker gains the Power Attack feat, as well as Improved Bullrush at first level, even if he would not normally qualify.

Stomping Kick: When an Unstoppable Berserker reaches 4th level, his brutal melee style develops to the point where he can reliably leap onto hapless foes and beat them senseless. On a charge attack, the Unstoppable Berserker may choose to make a jump check half-way through the charge. If he gains enough distance from the charge to put him ontop of his enemy, he may overrun the target in addition to his normal charge attack.

Ride-Along: An Unstoppable Berserker of 8th level or higher can choose to bullrush a target in the middle of his charge (usually an enemy blocking the way to another enemy). The bullrush is initiated as normal. If the Unstoppable Berserker pushes his opponent into his intended charge target, not only is he allowed to make an attack on his target with the normal bonuses from charging, he can also slam his Ride-Along into his target. This attack automatically hits and deals 1d8/4 barbarian levels in bludgeoning damage to each enemy involved.

Nine-Pins: An Unstoppable Berserker of 12th level is incredibly proficient at breaking lines. When he ends a charge adjacent to one or more enemies, he can either make a single attack on each of the adjacent foes at his highest base attack (abilities such as Cleave and Greater Cleave cannot generate more attacks with this ability), or attempt to trip every single one of them. If attempting the latter, the Unstoppable Berserker makes a single trip attempt using his strength modifier+4 against all adjacent foes. If any foe in his way his way is tripped by this ability, he may finish the remainder of his movement.

Toss Ride-Along: An Unstoppable Berserker of 16th level or greater who has just used the Ride-Along ability can toss his ride-along at another target once he finishes his charge attack. He is considered proficient with his Ride-Along, who has an effective range increment of 10ft. This is rolled as a throwing attack, and deals the same damage as though he was using the Ride-Along ability.

Wake of Destruction: Once per encounter, a 20th level Unstoppable Berserker can unleash force so great that even the wake of his charge can prove lethal those nearby. The unstoppable Berserker performs a charge attack as normal, but dealing double damage on his attack. In addition, his charge path, as well as an additional 10ft length ahead of him, becomes a twenty-foot wide line of force dealing 1d10/2 levels of Barbarian (Reflex DC=10+1/2barbarian level+str /half).
Note: This ability can be combined with any and all abilities above.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 10:18:34 PM by MasterVega »
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

MasterVega

• Email
Re: Templates to Power Up Non-Full Casters (Core only)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 05:08:54 PM »
Bard Templates -

General Changes: Hit Dice is now D8
[spoiler]Lv  1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
1.   1
2.   2
3.   2   0
4.   3   1
5.   3   2
6.   3   2   0
7.   3   3   1
8.   3   3   2
9.   3   3   2   0
10.  4   3   3   1
11.  4   3   3   2
12.  4   4   3   2   0
13.  4   4   3   3   1
14.  4   4   3   3   2
15.  4   4   4   3   3   0
16.  4   4   4   3   3   1
17.  5   4   4   4   3   2
18.  5   4   4   4   4   3
19.  5   5   4   4   4   4
20.  5   5   4   4   4   4
[/spoiler]
(again, thanks to bkdubs.)

Poet: A performer with a phenomenal way with words.
"I trade in tales of glory and defeat, parables and poetry, songs and soliloquies, I can move a crowd to tears, cheers, or even rage with the right words...You died two minutes ago, the very second you crossed me." - Zaniya Els'dair, Poet.
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: none

Captive Audience: As long as the Poet is succeeding on any string of bluff, diplomacy, and/or intimidate checks, one creature affected by these checks must make a will save (DC=10+1/2 Bard level+Cha bonus) to even try to notice anything requiring a spot or listen check, and/or to break free of the conversation. The number of creatures that can be effected by this ability increases by one at 4th level, and one more every 4 levels thereafter.

Acquire Favor: A 5th level Poet can use her influence over others to gain one favor from NPCs with a neutral or better attitude, and who are under the influence of her Captive Audience ability, as though the target had a friendly attitude. The degree of the favor available is determined by the degree of the success on a social skill (diplomacy or intimidate) as listed below.

Degree of Success               - Results
Normal success            [10]  - permanently change the person's attitude one step toward your own
Exceptional success       [15]  - Request one minor favor from the individual (such as visiting you later on in the evening or in a few days, donating a few gold to X cause, acquiring information from a private group, etc...)
Incredible Success        [20]  - Request a moderate favor from the individual (such as acquiring information from a moderately dangerous private group, take a new attitude toward a particular character or organization, lead a particular target into a trap [individual gets a second will-saving throw if the target is a friend or family member], etc...)
Extraordinary success     [25]  - Request an large favor from the individual (such as a life-changing decision, standing by you in a fight, bringing you information at great risk.)
Note that Poets acquiring a favor from an individual of an opposed-alignment reduces the success of the negotiation by one class.

Pacify Foe: When a Poet achieves 10th level, she may spend one full-round action to attempt to pacify a foe with honeyed words or fierce threats. She rolls a diplomacy or intimidate check (her choice) as though she were rolling to demoralize an opponent, but if she succeeds in her check the foe's attitude towards her and the party turns to neutral for a number of rounds equal to her charisma modifier+1/4 her bard level, or until the Poet or anyone in her party attacks the enemy. Enemies of different alignments may be harder or easier to convince (see table below). Only one enemy may be manipulated in this way at a time to begin with, but that number increases by one at 14th level, and every four levels thereafter.

Alignment Difference - Check Bonus/Penalty
None                 - +4
One                  - +2
Two                  - 0
One opposed          - -2
Two, One opposed     - -4
Two, Both opposed    - -8
Note: a poet or other negotiator can attempt to negotiate with the enemy while his attitude is neutral toward them.

Inspire the Masses: A Poet of 15th level or higher can inspire the masses with her performing talents. Depending on her success in her performance, she can have one of the following effects:

Degree of Success               - Results
Enjoyable Performance     [15]  - change the crowd's attitude toward you by one status
Great Performance         [20]  - Request one minor favor from the crowd (such as visiting you later on in the evening or in a few days for another performance, donating a few copper to X cause, etc...)
Memorable Performance     [25]  - Request a moderate favor from the crowd (such as pitching in effort to build a stage or other structure, take a new attitude toward a particular character or organization, etc...)
Extraordinary Performance [30]  - Request an incredible favor from the crowd (such as life-changing decisions, protests, riots and revolts)
Note that Poets playing for a crowd of opposed-alignment reduces the success of the performance by one class.
A Poet may only use this ability once per day. The favors inspired by this act need not be initiated immediately (save for the change of attitude, which will be explained later), and can be  "called in" in an hour's time at any point within the next (1/4 bard level+charisma mod during performance) days.

Inspire Obedience: A Poet of 20th level gains the ability to force anyone currently under his thumb into total obedience for a limited time. Once per day, after using her "Captive Audience" ability on one or more targets, the Poet can effectively cast Dominate Monster on all "captives" who have been affected for one or more minutes. The spell's DC is equal to 10+1/2bard level+cha+any other effects applying to Dominate Person.[/spoiler]

Fearless Martial: A great leader with an affinity for battle, fights to inspire.

[spoiler]Add:

Triumphant Strike: Whenever a Fearless Martial drops a foe below 0hp, or scores a critical hit, the effect of whatever bardic music ability he is using doubles for a number of rounds equal to his charisma modifier+1/4 his bard level.

Quicken Tempo: Once per encounter, a 5th level Fearless Martial can add the effects of Haste to all effected by his bardic music. This effect lasts a number of rounds equal to his charisma modifier+1/4 his bard level. The number of uses per encounter for this ability increases by one at 10th level, and by one for every five levels after that.

Direct Ally: A 10th level Fearless Martial reaches a milestone in his command. He can forfeit one of his own actions to grant one to a comrade. During his turn, the Fearless Martial can choose to forfeit either a move action or standard action and grant an equivalent action to the one sacrificed to an ally within 30ft. The choice to sacrifice an action must obviously be made before the action is used. A Fearless Martial may only sacrifice one action per round in this fashion. This does not alter the initiative of the affected ally.

Song of Wrath: Once per encounter, a 15th level Fearless Martial can inspire a rage (as the spell) in all effected by his bardic music. This effect lasts a number of rounds equal to his charisma modifier+1/4 his bard level. The number of uses per encounter for this ability increases by one at 19th level, and once more every four levels after.

Call the Charge: Once per encounter, a 20th level Fearless Martial can lead a powerful charge against his foes. Upon initiation of this ability, every ally within 30ft of the Fearless Martial gains the ability to charge a nearby enemy. This does not alter the initiative of the affected allies, and they may take their turns normally if they have not already done so prior to the charge.[/spoiler]

Wandering Bard: A well-traveled character who has seen everything.
"There's something worth remembering on every road traveled, if you can't see that, I pity you truly." - Corbren Tylaster, Wandering Bard
[spoiler]Add:

Wanderer's Knowledge: A Wandering Bard has picked up a number of skills in his travels. Because of his broad knowledge of the world and many occupations practiced on it, he may use all skills untrained.

Tricks of the Trade:
A 5th level Wandering Bard has picked up on a number of tricks in numerous occupations; these tricks often prove useful during intense situations. Once per encounter, a Wandering Bard can add his class level to a skill check. The number of times this ability can be used in a single encounter increases by one at 10th level, and by one every five levels afterward.

Mimicking Retort (Feat/Ability): A 10th level or greater Wandering Bard attacked with a feat or class ability can call upon his widespread knowledge, as well as is impromptu wit, and use the same ability or feat on an applicable attack against his foes even if he does not meet the prerequisites. He only retains the ability to use the mimicked feat/ability for a number of rounds equal to his intelligence modifier+1/4 his bard level.

Been There, Done That: A 15th level Wandering Bard has been everywhere and seen everything, and is intimidated by nothing. He becomes immune to fear effects. In addition, he gains a +4 insight bonus to all knowledge checks (including Bardic Knowledge).

Mimicking Retort (Spells): After surviving the effects of a spell, assuming he is still able to act in combat, a 20th level Wandering Bard may make a spellcraft check against the sell that struck him moments before. If he succeeds, he may cast the exact same spell (using his own caster level and charisma modifier) once within the next (intelligence modifier+1/4bard level) rounds. This ability may only be used three times per encounter.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 12:32:44 AM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 05:09:19 PM »
Fighter Templates -

General Changes: Hit dice is now d12.

Crafty Fighter: A quick-witted fighter who relies on tricks and deceit to ruin her foes.
"Oops! Did I do that?" Lilla Marina, Crafty Fighter.
[spoiler]Remove: Medium and Heavy armor proficiencies, and proficiency with tower shields.

Add:

Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Tumble - A Crafty Fighter is deft and deceptive.
Change -2 to 4 skillpoints/level

Cheap Shot: A Crafty Fighter deals extra damage equal to her Fighter level when she strikes a flatfooted or flanked foe.

Canny Defense: A 3rd level Crafty Fighter adds her intelligence modifier to her armor class. Any effect that would negate her dexterity bonus to AC also negates this ability.

Tricky Dodge: A 5th Crafty Fighter can attempt to dodge one attack per round by rolling a feint check against her opponent's attack roll. This expends an attack of opportunity.

One for Flinching: Once a round, when a 9th or higher level Crafty Fighter is attacked, she may make a feint attempt to fake out her opponent. If she succeeds, she may spend one of her attacks of opportunity to strike the foe back. This does not stop the first hit from striking if the attacker would have hit normally.

Rapid Counter: In a round when a 13th or higher level Crafty Fighter has not used any of her other attack of opportunity-oriented special abilities, she may attack twice on an attack off opportunity, instead of once as normal.

Redirect Charge: Upon reaching 15th level, a Crafty Fighter can use her trickery to send one enemy careening into another. When charged, a Crafty Fighter may make a feint attempt. If the she succeeds, she may redirect the attacking creature's course up to ninety degrees. The affected creature must finish half of its total charge movement, though it may use any applicable special ability it possesses to turn during this charge, or stop and attack the first unit it collides with. This expends an attack of opportunity.

Deceptive Defense: When a 20th level Crafty Fighter is adjacent to at least one foe, any attacks against her have a 25% chance of missing, and instead being rolled against one of the adjacent foes. If there is only one enemy adjacent the the Crafty Fighter, its attack rolls are made without the miss chance, but any incoming attacks still have a chance of targeting it instead of her.[/spoiler]

Dreadnought: A highly combat-proficient soldier, fearless, ruthless, and vicious.
"If you value your lives, you will clear my path." - Corden "Deathbringer" Brenn, Juggernought.
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: Autohypnosis (I know it's not core, but I believe it fits the concept. Any alternative ideas would be appreciated), Knowledge (Dungeoneering, Geography, History) - A Dreadnought is focused, and has learned a lot to do with battle in his experience as a soldier.

Ruthless Charge: Anytime a Dreadnought charges, he adds his level to the damage of his attack.

Downcasting Rebuke: When a 5th or higher-level Dreadnought is truck for damage, so long as he is still conscious after the blow is resolved, any attack that he successfully scores against the first foe who struck him has a chance of knocking the enemy down. After the attack is resolved, the Dreadnought may choose to initiate a trip attempt. The attempt is rolled as normal, but the Dreadnought cannot be tripped in retaliation if he fails to trip his target.

Mighty Assault:
At 9th level, a Dreadnought becomes able to initiate a bullrush attempt after a successful hit with a charge, or after forgoing a full-attack in favor of a single successful hit. The bullrush is rolled as normal, but the Dreadnought does not follow his opponent no matter how far he is pushed back. This ability may be combined with Downcasting Rebuke, Maiming Strike (see below) and/or Show of Force (see below).

Show of Force: A 13th or higher level Dreadnought can attempt to demoralize any one opponent within ten feet of him after a successful strike on a foe, if this attack is the only attack he has made this turn. This ability may be combined with Mighty Assault, Downcasting Rebuke and/or Maiming Strike (see below).

Maiming Strike: Upon reaching 15th level, a Dreadnought's strikes become so powerful that they have a chance of maiming foes. After a successful hit with a charge attack, or after forgoing a full-attack in favor of a successful hit, a Dreadnought may choose to attempt maiming his foe in addition to dealing normal damage. The target must make a fortitude save (DC=fighter level+strength modifier) or suffer one of the following effects at the option of the Dreadnought:
1. 2 damage to a physical or mental stat.*
2. Movement cut to one-half normal until healed.
3. Nauseated for 1d3 rounds.
*(Physical stat damage from this effect does apply to corporeal undead and constructs, as it so badly damages the walking corpse/machine that it imposes an additional degree of ineptitude upon the undead or artificial creature. Obviously one cannot damage an undead creature's constitution score, as it is non-existant.)

This ability may be combined with Mighty Assault, Downcasting Rebuke and/or Show of Force

Strike of Immeasurable Power: A 20th level Dreadnought can unleash an immensely powerful attack once per encounter, possibly killing or knocking a foe unconscious in one fell swoop. Unlike with his other abilities, a Dreadnought must declare that he is using this ability before he strikes. This attack must also be the only attack during his turn. If he hits, the target must succeed a fortitude save (DC=fighter level+strength mod) or be killed instantly or knocked unconscious at the Dreadnought's option. Even if the target does succeed, he takes damage as if the Dreadnought had charged, and the Dreadnought may still add any of his applicable abilities.[/spoiler]

Eldritch Warrior: A warrior wildly talented, but completely untrained in the arcane arts. Uses magic to strengthen his abilities.
"I wish I actually knew how to do that..." - Cadrin MacGreggor, Eldritch Warrior.
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: Concentration, Spellcraft, Use Magical Device

Wild Arcana: An Eldritch Warrior adds his charisma bonus all of his damage rolls as an energy type of his choice.

Arcane Surge:
A 5th or higher level Eldritch Warrior can add extra damage die of the same size as his weapon's (minimum of 1d6. If the weapon has multiple damage die, the extra die rolled is 1d12) to a number of attacks equal to 1/4 his Fighter level per encounter. This extra damage increases an additional die at levels eight, twelve, sixteen, and twenty. This damage is dealt in the form of the same element as he has chosen for his Wild Arcana damage on the same attack.

Cursed Blade: A 9th or higher level Eldritch Warrior can use his intense will to ruin his opponent's combat ability. Once every 1d4 rounds, in tandem with a melee attack (successful or otherwise) an Eldritch Warrior can attempt to curse his foe within 30ft. The enemy must make a will save (DC=fighter level+charisma modifier) or take a penalty to attack, AC or caster level (at the Eldritch Warrior's option) equal to 1/4 the Eldritch Warrior's Fighter level. This ability may not be used at the same time as Arcane Surge.

Cloak of Energy: At 13th level, an Eldritch Warrior's innate magical talent and fierce determination combine to form an effective defense against other magic. He gains spell resistance equal to 10+his Fighter level+ his charisma modifier. An Eldritch Warrior may voluntarily lower his spell resistance for any spell.

Shockwave: Upon reaching 15th level, an Eldritch Warrior becomes able to focus his arcane energies into a kinetic blast in attempt to push crowding foes away from him. He must spend a full-round action (that does not provoke attacks of opportunity) to use this ability. All enemies within a 10-foot radius of the Eldritch Warrior must make a reflex save (DC=Fighter level+charisma modifier) or be pushed back 5ft+5ft/5 points check failed by.

Raw Arcana: Extra damage from 20th level Eldritch Warrior's Arcane Surge and Wild Arcana can now be untyped energy. In addition, the Eldritch Warrior may expend all uses of Arcane Surge for one encounter on a single attack.[/spoiler]

Hexblade Templates -
General changes:
Spell progression becomes the 5/9th spell progression
Access to the following 5th level spells: Prying eyes, Dominate Person, Feeblemind, Blight, Waves of Fatigue, Baleful Polymorph
Hexblade Curse is usable 1/encounter to begin with, and increases in uses every 9 levels, and is thus 3/encounter at level 18.

Curseblade - A swordsman unrivaled in the ways of making a fool out of one's opponent.
"[Something witty here]" - Bob the Curseblade.
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills?

Blade of Malice: A Curseblade deals an extra amount of damage equal to his Hexblade level against opponent's under the effect of his curse.

Curse of the Bumbling Fool: A 6th level Curseblade incurs the negatives from his Hexblade's Curse to the target's AC in addition to the normal effect.

Carve Cursed Glyph: A 14th level Curseblade is sadistically artful in his hexing, carving cursed seals into the armor and bodies of his foes. As a standard action, a Curseblade may make an attack against a foe and, if the attack succeeds, immediately follow up with a Spellcraft check (DC10+creature's CR+creature's dexterity modifier) to carve a vile rune into his foe's armor. If successful this special ability duplicates the effects of Symbol of Pain, with a caster level equal to the Curseblade's own caster level. This ability can be used only once per encounter.

Wound the Soul: At 20th level a Curseblade becomes so adept at his vile carving that he can even damage the soul. Once per encounter (this ability does not expend the Carve Cursed Glyph use), the Curseblade may spend a full-round action in the form of a single attack to cut a rune so terrible that the target must make a will save (DC10+1/2Duskblade level+Charisma bonus) or take a number of negative levels equal to 1/4 the Hexblade's level.[/spoiler]

Luckthief - A crafty warrior who revels in the stolen fortunes of her foes.
"I'm not cheating. I'm just better than you," - Cira Lyton, Luckthief.
[spoiler]Add:

Class skills?

Siphon Fortune: When a Luckthief curses an enemy she gains a Luck bonus on attack, damage, or a particular skill (at his option) equal to 1+1/4 her Hexblade level. The Luckthief is allowed to pick two options in one use at 9th level, and all three at 18th. These bonuses last until the end of the encounter, and do not stack.

Turnabout: A 6th level Luckthief may turn a single opponent's attack back upon himself a single time per combat. The player may see the number rolled on the die, but may not know the result of the attack before declaring the use of this ability. The attack roll is then used on the attacker and, if it hits, deals damage as normal. This number of uses of this ability increases by one additional time per combat every at 10th level, and by one again every four levels thereafter.

Siphon Magic: Any time a 14th level Luckthief uses her turnabout ability, she may also attempt to steal a spell effect from the creature, or a magic property from the weapon he is holding. The creature is allowed a will save (DC10+1/2Duskblade level+Charisma Modifier) to resist the effects of this ability. This theft lasts a number of rounds equal to the Luckthief's level, or until the luckthief uses the ability again. At the end of the abilities duration (or when it is cut short as mentioned before), any stolen spell effect (if its duration is long enough) or weapon property returns to where it was before the Luckthief stole it.
Special note: No, a Luckthief cannot gain permanent bonuses to her, or lengthen her theft of spells, by a second Luckthief using Turnabout on her. Bad powergamer. No biscuit. :P
Serious version of special note: If they were already stolen by another Luckthief, they return to where they were before then, and so on.

Master Luckthief: A 20th level Luckthief can steal terrible amounts of fortune from her opponents. When the luckthief curses separate opponents with her Hexblade Curse, the bonuses she gains from Siphon Fortune stack for a number of rounds equal to half her hexblade level.[/spoiler]

Malicious Mage - A quick-casting combat mage whose spells manifest his spite.
"Wither you wretch!" - Poladro Chavena, Malicious Mage.
[spoiler]Add:

Class skills?

Cursed Casting: Any enemy struck by a harmful spell cast by the Malicious Mage takes a negative on attack and damage rolls equal to the level of the spell. A successful will save (DC determined as the spell) negates this effect. Penalties from this ability stack with Hexblade's Curse.

Lingering Bite: A 6th level Malicious Mage's harmful spells leave a lingering pain in those who suffer them. The Malicious Mage's harmful spells bestow HP damage equal to the level of the spell cast, for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 his Duskblade level.

Curse of the Sloth: A 14th level Malicious Mage may slow his opponents down in addition to the other harmful effects of a spell. If the enemy fails a will save (as the spell's would be), his movement is reduced by half for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 his duskblade level.

Bestow Failure: Three times per combat, a 20th level Malicious Mage masters the art of lacing his spells with spite, and can bestow utter failure upon one opponent's next dice roll. If he casts a harmful spell upon an opponent, he may choose to use this ability to bestow a -10 on the creature's next dice roll. The victim is unaware of the effects of this spell; in fact, it might be best that the GM roll the will save for him.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 03:11:40 AM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 05:10:14 PM »
Monk Templates -

General Changes: Hit dice is now d10.

Combat Sage: A philosopher as well as a combatant, using knowledge as well as physical power to destroy foes.
"What you don't know can hurt you... badly," - Akira Sasaki, a Combat Sage
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: Knowledge (all skills taken individually)

Knowledge is Power: A Combat Sage adds his Wisdom modifier as well as his Strength Modifier to damage on all melee attacks.

Find the Weakpoint: When a Combat Sage reaches 5th level, he gains the ability to make a knowledge roll as (DC=CR of the foe) in the applicable skill as a swift action to gain the upper hand. If he succeeds in the check, he gains a bonus on attack rolls against the creature equal to 1/2 his monk level, and a bonus on his damage rolls against the creature equal to his class level.

Outwitting Defense: A Combat Sage of 10th level or higher can take advantage of his foe's momentum and send them flying. Once per round, when an adjacent opponent misses an attack, the Combat Sage can initiate a trip attempt on that opponent at the cost of an attack of opportunity. If the check succeeds, instead of tripping the foe, the Combat Sage throws the attacker as though he had bullrushed him (use the same total rolled for the trip attempt to determine distance.) No matter what distance the enemy travels, the Combat Sage does not travel with him.

School of Hard Knocks: A Combat Sage of 15th level or higher uses his knowledge of his foe to additionally lethal effect. Once per encounter, the Combat Sage may choose to make a special attack against one of his foes. If this attack hits, he rolls his highest knowledge check as damage in addition to his normal damage.

Combat Omniscience: A 20th level Combat Sage gains an almost godlike awareness of the battlefield. He not only gains Blindsight out to 30ft, but blindsense out to 60ft, as well as an initiative bonus equal to his wisdom modifier.[/spoiler]

Thousand Fists: A lightning-fast combatant focusing on speed and power.
"That was probably five hits too many..." - Goro Takahasi, A Thousand Fists monk.
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: Intimidate

Volley of Fists: A Thousand Fists monk can, once per encounter, double the number of attacks he gains on a full attack. The number of uses per encounter increases to 2 at level 6, 3 at level 12, and 4 at level 18.

Tie-in Strike: Whenever a 5th or higher level Thousand Fists monk scores a critical hit, he may make an additional attack on top of the normal effects of the critical hit (to a maximum number of extra attacks equal to 1/2 his monk level).

False Strike: Once per encounter, when an attack misses, the Thousand Fists monk of 10th level can re-roll the attack. The number of times he can use this ability increases to 2 at 15th level, and then 3 at 20th level.

Pounce: Upon reaching 15th level, a Thousand Fists monk gains the Pounce ability.

Unstoppable Onslaught: A 20th level Thousand Fists monk has perfected his form of many strikes, and can unleash a powerful storm of attacks upon any foe adjacent to him. Once per encounter, the Thousand Fists monk can initiate a full attack to gain three times as many attacks as normal. He can also re-roll all misses in this barrage only once.[/spoiler]

Tranquil Blade: A quiet soul studying weapon form to perfection.
"Do not challenge me. It will be a waste of another good swordsman." - Shiri "Sakura Blade" Kobayashi, a Tranquil Blade
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: Perform (weapon drill) - Though a Tranquil Blade might not boast of his blade-art often, when a performance is needed her weapon drills can certainly suffice.

Lightning Step: A Tranquil Blade moves swiftly, and can increase her speed for short bursts of time. Once per encounter, a Tranquil Blade may make a second move action in a single round. This ability allows for multiple uses later on, increasing the total count to 2 at level 6, 3 at level 12, and 4 at level 18.

Iaijutsu Strike: A Tranquil Blade who reaches 5th level learns the art of the killing draw, and gains the Quickdraw feat. Her first attack of any encounter, if it hits, deals double damage (as a critical hit).

Killing Stroke: Once per encounter, a 10th or greater level Tranquil Blade can double the critical threat range of her weapon for a single attack. This stacks with Keen and Improved Critical. The player must announce the use of Killing Stroke before initiating the attack; if the attack misses, the use is wasted. This ability can be used an additional time per encounter at 15th level, and 20th level.

Instantaneous Charge: Whenever a Tranquil Blade of Fifteenth level or higher charges, she effectively teleports the distance of the charge. The Tranquil Blade can clear gaps in terrain, as well as charge into the air using this ability so long as there is a target to the charge.

Tempest Blade:  A 20th level Tranquil Blade becomes a storm of steal on the battlefield, appearing to be everywhere at once. Once per encounter, a Tranquil Blade can initiate a special attack allowing her to charge her full movement while turning as many times as she needs to. She attacks any enemy her path crosses, even if the number of opponents exceeds her number of iterative attacks.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 03:31:38 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 05:10:33 PM »
Paladin Templates -

General Changes: Hit dice is now d12.
Smite Evil is used encounterly as opposed to daily, and the progression has changed to once per encounter at 1st level, twice at 1oth, and three at 20th.
Spell's per day has changed to the following table:
[spoiler]
1.     0
2.     1
3.     1   0
4.     1   1
5.     2   1
6.     2   1   0
7.     2   2   1
8.     2   2   1
9.     3   2   1   0
10.    3   2   2   1
11.    3   3   2   1
12.    3   3   2   1   0
13.    4   3   2   2   1
14.    4   3   3   2   1
15.    4   4   3   2   1
16.    4   4   3   2   2
17.    5   4   3   3   2
18.    5   4   4   3   2
19.    5   5   4   3   2
20.    5   5   4   3   3
5th leve spell selection:

Atonement
Cure Light Wounds, Mass
Hallow
Heal
Righteous Might
Spell Resistance
True Seeing
Undeath to Death[/spoiler]

Divine Shield: A courageous soul devoted to protecting his allies.
"Stand your ground, friend. I have your back." - Sergei Kordov, Divine Shield.
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: Listen, Spot, Survival - A Divine Shield always keeps an eye on possible threats, and is apt to provide for his comrades.

Divine Toughness:
A Divine Shield gains an extra number of hit points every level equal to his charisma modifier. This only applies for levels taken in Paladin.

Harm's Way: At eighth level, a Divine Shield's devotion to his comrades affords him lightning-fast reflexes when they are in danger. When an attack is declared on an ally within ten feet, a Divine shield may choose to move into harm's way and take the attack for the ally. The attack is rolled against the Divine Shield's armor class. This ability may only be used once per round.

Shield of Will: At tenth level, a Divine Shield gains the ability to add his charisma modifier to the armor class, or one save, of an ally within 10ft +5ft/4paladin levels.

Aura of Pain Share: At 14th level, a Divine Shield can absorb damage for his allies. A Divine Shield can choose to take half of the damage from any attack on an ally within 15ft for the ally.

Undying Guardian: At 18th level, a Divine Shield cannot be slain outright. Any death effect or massive damage effect does not kill him on a failed save. Instead he drops to 0HP and remains conscious.

Reflective Pain Share: At 20th level, a Divine Shield gains the ability to transfer all damage he takes via Aura of Pain Share to one or spread across multiple enemies within 30ft. A Divine Shield can use this ability for a total number of rounds per day equal to 1/2 his paladin level.[/spoiler]

Holy Destroyer: A holy warrior who focuses on the destructive might granted him by his deity.
"Rejoice friends! Today we carve a warpath to the lowest depths of the Abyss!" Cedric Bairne, Holy Destroyer.
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Swim - A Holy Destroyer is a truly imposing foe, who will not be stopped by the lay of the land.

Sword of Light: Any weapon a Holy Destroyer wields is treated as good for the purpose of defeating damage reduction.

Unstoppable Smite: At 8th level, a Holy Destroyer's smite attacks ignore all damage reduction.

Ward Invasion: At 10th level, a Holy Destroyer becomes immune to wards against lawful and good alignments.

Greater Smite: at 14th level, a Holy Destroyer's smite becomes much more potent. Instead dealing an amount of damage equal to his paladin level times one-half his charisma modifier (minimum of X2)

Frightful Presence:
At 18th level, a Holy Destroyer's reputation is known throughout the land. He gains the Frightful Presence ability with a ten-foot radius.

Smite of Reckoning: At 20th level, a Holy Destroyer's smite attack becomes an incarnation of his god's wrath. His smites now deal an amount of damage equal to his paladin level times his full charisma modifier (minimum of X4).[/spoiler]

Inquisitor: A holy investigator with a strong gut instinct, specialized to punish the guilty.
"It is a sad truth that law and justice rarely coincide. I am here to correct that." Markus Richard, the Inquisitor.
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: Appraise, Bluff*, Listen, Spot, Search - An Inquisitor will not let himself be fooled by dishonest merchants, and pays attention to every detail.
*An Inquisitor is allowed to lie if he believes uttering the truth would threaten his investigation and/or the greater good. Most prefer to slyly avoid dangerous questions.

Lie Sense: An Inquisitor may choose to re-roll one sense-motive check per encounter, before he is informed of the result of his attempt. He must, however, take the second result even if it is lower than the first.

Rite of Truth: Upon reaching 8th level, an Inquisitor may expend a Turning Attempt to cast Zone of Truth.

Punish the Guilty: At and after 10th level, an Inquisitor my smite non-evil targets if he has spent a day investigating and found guilty of a notable crime. If the target is also evil, the attack deals double damage.

Aura of Revelation: Once at 14th level, an Inquisitor gains a special aura causing any non-ally's attempt at deceit within fifteen feat of an Inquisitor is rolled at a -4 penalty. This includes Bluff, Disguise, Forgery, and Slight of hand checks. In addition, an Inquisitor automatically succeeds all saves to disbelieve illusion effects. Any ally within 10ft of the Inquisitor gains a +4 bonus to Will saves to disbelieve illusion effects.

Blindsense: Once an Inquisitor has reached level 18, his sharp senses culminate into supernatural clarity. The Inquisitor gains Blindsense out to 30ft.

Unhindered Gaze: A 20th level Inquisitor's gaze pierces through all illusions to punish those who hide behind them. The Inquisitor gains Truesight with a permanent duration, and along with it a gaze attack that deals 4d6 positive energy damage (doubled against undead) to all using illusion spells and spell like abilities to hide from him.
This ability cannot be dispelled[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:56:09 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 05:10:59 PM »
Ranger Templates -

General Changes: Hit dice is now d10.
Rangers lose the Combat Style abilities.
Spell progression changed to the following:
[spoiler]
1.     0
2.     1
3.     1   0
4.     1   1
5.     2   1
6.     2   1   0
7.     2   2   1
8.     2   2   1
9.     3   2   1   0
10.    3   2   2   1
11.    3   3   2   1
12.    3   3   2   1   0
13.    4   3   2   2   1
14.    4   3   3   2   1
15.    4   4   3   2   1
16.    4   4   3   2   2
17.    5   4   3   3   2
18.    5   4   4   3   2
19.    5   5   4   3   2
20.    5   5   4   3   3
[/spoiler]
(New spells pending)

Marksman: A sharp-shooting stalker, capable of destroying a foe with a single well-placed shot.
"See that? Off the troll and into the orc's eye! Beat that!" Kiril Din'saell, Marksman.
[spoiler]Add:

Precision Targeting: A Marksman can choose to fire a single shot as a standard action. This shot deals extra damage equal to the Marksman's Ranger level.

Lethal Ricochet: A 5th level Marksman's aim is incredible, allowing him to ricochet arrows off of objects, hard surfaces or even enemies to damage a hidden or additional foe. When using his precision Targeting ability on a target within his first range increment, the Marksman may choose attack a second target within his first range increment as though he were shooting from that position, with the same attack roll. If there is only one target within range, you may ricochet the shot off of a 5' space to gain a better vantage point on the enemy. The Marksman may effect a third target at 10th level, and one additional every five levels afterward.

Stopping Arrow: A 10th level Marksman becomes adept at not only hitting where it hurts, but also hitting places that will stop a target in his tracks. When a Marksman uses his Precision Targeting ability, he may choose to make a trip attempt against a single foe. He uses his dexterity modifier instead of strength modifier on this trip attempt.

Knockback Arrow:
A 15th level Marksman's talents become nearly magical, allowing him to hit a target with such force that he pushes it back. When using his Precision Targeting ability, the Marksman may initiate a bullrush attempt on a single target. He uses his dexterity modifier instead of his strength modifier on this bullrushing attempt.

Full Precision: Once a Marksman reaches 20th level, he can fire his shots with such speed and precision that he can level small armies in seconds. The Marksman may now use his Precision Targeting, and all related abilities on a normal attack action (thus becoming able to make a full-attack with all the special bonuses.)[/spoiler]

Vengeant Hunter: A strongly protective tracker, with powerful bitter streak.
"I hate orcs!" - Quin Verdent, Vengeant Hunter
"You hate everything!" - Lilla Marina, Crafty Fighter.
[spoiler]Add:

Payback: Once per encounter, a Vengeant Hunter can switch his Favored Enemy class skill for the remainder of the encounter so that it effects one particular enemy. The foe must have attacked him one round prior for this ability to be used. If the Vengeant Hunter possesses multiple Favored Enemy abilities, he may use this ability once with each of them.

Hated Enemy: A 5th level Vengeant Hunter deals an extra 1d6 of damage to all favored enemies. Each time he upgrades a Favored Enemy, the extra damage dice increases by 1d6.

Instant Vengeance: A 10th level Vengeant Hunter may make an attack of opportunity on any enemy who attacks an ally of his. If the Vengeant Hunter is armed with a ranged weapon, he can attack the foe only if he is within his first range increment. If the Vengeant Hunter is armed with a melee weapon, he may move half his movement toward the foe; if he reaches the enemy, he may attack.

Strike of Hatred: A 15th level Vengeant Hunter who has used his payback ability on a foe may choose to end it's effect in an extraordinarily powerful attack. The Vengeant Hunter may choose to end Payback's effect in order to deal five times the number of favored enemy damage and dice in one shot. The Vengeant Hunter must designate he is using this ability before making the attack roll. He retains all Favored Enemy bonuses to attack for this ability, but not afterward.

Moment of Frozen Spite: A Vengeant Hunter who reaches 20th level gains the ability to enter a mindset of pure, icy malice. He treats all enemies present as favored enemies, adding the effects of each of his Favored Enemy and stacking the extra damage dice from Hated enemy to each attack. This mindset lasts for a number of rounds equal to the 1/4 Vengeant Hunter's Ranger level + his Wisdom modifier.[/spoiler]

Steel Tempest: A storm of steel manifest on the battlefield, both a powerful offensive force and capable defensive combatant.
"A gold piece says you won't lay a finger on me." - Brin Kerreg, Steel Tempest.
[spoiler]Add:

Combat Trance: A Steel Tempest can cast emotions away and enter an icy state of mind allowing incredible speed and power. A number of rounds per day equal to his Ranger level, to a maximum per encounter equal to his constitution modifier +3, a Steel Tempest gains a +2 morale boost to dexterity and strength. At sixth level, and every six levels afterward, he gains an additional +2 to these bonuses. The combat trance is taxing on a Steel Tempest's mind and body, and applies a -2 to all saves until the end of the encounter.

Parry: A Steel Tempest of 5th level can block incoming strikes with his own weapons. By expending an attack of opportunity, a Steel Tempest may make an attack roll in response to an incoming melee attack. If his attack roll is higher than that of the attacker, the attack is negated.

Steel Mind and Body: Upon advancing to 10th level, a Steel Tempest adds a +2 bonus to all saves during his combat trance. Note, however, that he still takes the -2 penalty after his trance ends.

Opportune Strike: A Steel Tempest who strikes a target successfully may spend an attack of opportunity to strike it again. If he possesses the Combat Reflexes feat, he may continue striking, so long as he hits, until he runs expends all attacks of opportunity that round.

Hurricane of Blades: When a Steel Tempest finally achieves 20th level, he gains the ability to, once an encounter, unleash a devastating storm of merciless winds to cut his enemies to ribbons. As a full-round action, the Steel Tempest creates a sixty-foot cone of intense winds, dealing a number of d6 equal to the Steel Tempest's Ranger level, plus his dexterity modifier in slashing damage (Reflex save DC=10+1/2Ranger level+dexterity modifier -- half).[/spoiler]

Scout Templates-
General Changes: None

Dervish: A quick and fierce swordmaster, expert of fighting hordes of foes.

[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: Jump, Perform (Dance)

Spring Attack: A Dervish gains the Spring Attack feat at first level, even if she does not meet the normal prerequisites.

Spring Followup: If a 4th level or higher Dervish ends her movement from Spring Attack adjacent to another foe, she may make an extra attack on that foe.

Dervish Dance: An 8th level Dervish gains the Dervish Dance ability (as written in Complete Warrior Pg.26). Usable once per encounter to begin with, and gaining an additional use at 12th level and every four levels thereafter.

Spring Cleave: A 12th level Dervish who reduces an opponent to 0HP with one attack involved with Spring Attack, she may spring again and move up to half her movement. If this extra movement brings her adjacent to another foe, she may make an extra attack. The Dervish may gain no more than a single extra move or attack from this ability.

Tireless Dance: A 16th level Dervish gains the Tireless Dance ability (as written in Complete Warrior Pg.27).

A Thousand Cuts: A 20th level Dervish gains the A Thousand Cuts ability (as written in Complete Warrior Pg.27).[/spoiler]

Rabid Slayer: A monster on the battlefield who revels in the death of his opponents.
"You think that was impressive? I'm just gettin' started!" Kren, Rabid Slayer.
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: Intimidate

Feral Fury: When a Rabid Slayer brings a foe to 0 or fewer HP with a melee attack, he gains a bonus to attack, damage, and critical confirmation rolls equal to the number of foes (of HD and/or CR at least equal to one-half the number of scout levels he possesses) he has brought to 0 or fewer HP during the duration of this ability (including the defeated foe who originally triggered the Feral Fury). This ability lasts a number of rounds equal to 3+the Rabid Slayer's Scout level, and the bonus he gains from the Feral Fury may not exceed his class level. Each time a foe is slain, the duration is renewed.
(Note: for ease of reading, reducing an enemy to 0 or lower HP will be referred to as "slaying" for the remainder of this class entry.)

Battle Ecstasy: A 4th level Rabid Slayer gains 1 point of DR/-- for every four opponents he slays in melee combat under the duration of Feral Fury. This bonus ends when the duration of Feral Fury does. The damage reduction gained by this ability may not exceed the Rabid Slayer's class level.

Combat Hunger: An 8th level Rabid Slayer finds sometimes that combat does not come soon enough on its own, and charges with blinding speed to his next opponent. Once per combat, after a foe has been slain in melee combat, the Rabid Slayer may make an extra charge attack on a single foe. (increase uses?)

Bloody Mess: A 12th level Rabid Slayer gains the Frightful Presence ability while under the duration of Feral Fury. The DC of his ability increases by 1 for every 5 enemies he has slain in melee combat during his Feral Fury. This bonus may become no larger than 1/4 the Rabid Slayer's Scout level. This bonus ends when the duration of Feral Fury does.

Deadly Tenacity: A 16th level Rabid Slayer increases his weapon's critical threat range by 1 for every 5 enemies he slays in melee combat during his Feral Fury. The critical threat range may not be increased beyond 1/4 the Rabid Slayer's Scout level in this fashion. This ability stacks with Keen effects or Improved Critical. This bonus ends when the duration of Feral Fury does.

Unrivaled Destroyer: A 20th level Rabid Slayer increases his weapon's critical multiplier by 1 for every 7 enemies he slays in melee combat during his Feral Fury. This increase may not exceed 1/4 the Rabid Slayer's Scout levels.[/spoiler]

Swift Hunter: A highly mobile ranged specialist who never loses sight of her target, while the same may not always be true for the creature she attacks.

[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: Bluff

Skilled Hunter: A Bloodhunter gains the Tracker feat at first level, and gains a bonus equal to his 1/2 his class level (a minimum of +1) on all search and spot checks to locate a creature he is hunting. The Bloodhunter must be aware of what the creature is, or have seen the target before to gain this bonus.

Misleading Shot: A 4th level Bloodhunter who attacks as a standard action may make a Bluff check to create a distraction (as explained on pg.68 of the Player's Handbook) to allow herself to hide again.

Combat Marksman: An 8th level Bloodhunter deals double her skirmish damage when attacking a flat-footed or otherwise unaware foe. Note: this ability does not apply unless Skirmish would apply.

Strike and Fade: A 12th level Bloodhunter gains a bonus equal to half her Scout level on hide checks while sniping. Furthermore, the Bloodhunter takes no penalty for hiding while moving no greater than her full speed.

(Remaining two abilities, including the capstone, are still in progress... looking for something unique and interesting.)[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 12:57:49 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:11:26 PM »
Rogue Templates -

General Changes: Hit die is now d8.
Sneak attack is no longer negated when critical hits are impossible. Instead, it is only half as effective (half the normal sneak attack die, rounded down).

Freerunner: An especially agile and well-balanced rogue, able to clear gaps and fit into places no one else of her size can.
"Race you to the top!" - Mailla Krien, Freerunner.
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: None

Diving Charge: a Freerunner who leaps down onto a foe from 10ft or higher above it splits the falling damage dice with the target, in addition to the normal affects of a charge.  If there is an odd number of dice, the target takes the greater amount of damage. (Note: a Freerunner can still tumble after the attack to reduce damage to herself.) Terrain does not effect the damage dealt to the target. In addition, the Freerunner adds an extra 1d6 of damage. This extra damage increases by 1d6 at 4th level, and by one again every 4 levels thereafter.

Wall-Run: A 4th level Freerunner with a running can move along walls a total distance equal to his movement, so long as she ends his movement on flat ground, or she makes a climb-check (DC10) to hang from the wall. She may also run straight up a wall for a total distance equal to one-half her movement. Wall-running without a start of at least 10ft requires a climb check (DC=10+1/5ft traveled).

Spring-Jump: An 8th level Freerunner can jump to incredible heights on his own power. She gains a +4 bonus to jump and is always considered to have a running start when jumping. This can be used in conjunction with Diving Charge if the Freerunner's jump brings her at least 10ft in the air.

Duck and Run: A 12th level Freerunner can move normally in tight spaces, and run in cramped spaces where she would normally only be slowed.
Free-Faller: In addition, a 12th level Freerunner may subtract a number of d6 from her own fall damage equal to 1/4 her rogue level.

Spring-Back: A 16th level Freerunner is never down for long, or at all. When the freerunner is knocked down, she may spend an immediate action to right herself. This ability does not draw an attack of opportunity. If she has already used her immediate action, she may get up without drawing an attack of opportunity as a free action on her turn. After she has righted herself, she may make an attack of opportunity against the enemy who tripped her.

Falcon's Dive: A 20th level Freerunner is a deadly foe, especially when given the high ground. Once per encounter, when Diving Charge would normally take effect, a Freerunner may choose to instead initiate a Falcon's Dive attack. Upon being hit, the enemy must make a fortitude save (DC=10+1/2rogue level+dexterity) or die instantly, or be knocked unconscious (Freerunner's option). If the save is succeeded, Diving Charge applies as normal, but deals damage in d12's rather than d6's.[/spoiler]

Magic Dabbler: A rogue who's magic tricks are much more than trickery
"Oh, what's this behind your ear..." - Markus Redland, Magic Dabbler.
[spoiler]Add:

Class Skills: Concentration, Knowledge (Arcana), and Spellcraft - A Magic Dabbler has studied magic a great deal, and has several new skills to show for it.

Conceal Spell: A Magic Dabbler can attempt to mask any of the components of his spells with the right skill check. He can conceal verbal components with a bluff check, and somatic components as well as material components and focuses with slight of hand.

Spells: A Magic Dabbler gains the following spell progression, and prepares and learns spells as the Wizard does, and learns his spells from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list. A Magic Dabbler's extra spell slots and the DC of his spells are determined by his Intelligence score.
[spoiler]
1.     0
2.     1
3.     1   0
4.     1   1
5.     2   1
6.     2   1   0
7.     2   2   1
8.     2   2   1
9.     3   2   1   0
10.    3   2   2   1
11.    3   3   2   1
12.    3   3   2   1   0
13.    4   3   2   2   1
14.    4   3   3   2   1
15.    4   4   3   2   1
16.    4   4   3   2   2
17.    5   4   3   3   2
18.    5   4   4   3   2
19.    5   5   4   3   2
20.    5   5   4   3   3
[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Assassin: An experienced killer and expert at vanishing into the winds.
"I swear to you, they will not leave this place alive." - Kaida Mordell, Assassin.
[spoiler]Add:

Poison Use: An Assassin is trained in the use of poison, and does not risk poisoning herself when applying poison to her weapons or using it to poison others.

Blending, Lesser: An 4th or higher level Assassin who enters any shadow large enough to conceal her (obviously not her own shadow), can make a hide check without needing cover, but also without the penalties for lacking cover. So long as she stays in the shadows, the assassin can move up to her normal speed and remain hidden with the same hide check she rolled to hide originally.

Silent Kill: An 8th level Assassin begins to master her killing strikes. An unaware foe the Assassin observes for three rounds and makes a sneak attack against is subject to a fortitude save (DC=10+1/2rogue level+dexterity bonus). If the enemy fails the save, the Assassin chooses whether he is killed instantly or knocked unconscious. Even if he succeeds the save, or the Assassin is forced to attack prior to the third round, the enemy takes the Assassin's normal sneak attack damage, plus a number of d6 equal to the number of rounds the Assassin has observed the target (maximum of 3d6).

Blending, Greater: A 12th level Assassin becomes highly adept at blending into the shadows, and can use her skill to great effect to evade foes. This ability functions as Lesser Blending, but the Assassin may hide while being observed, and can move up to her full movement or even run while remaining hidden.

Silent Kill, Greater: A 16th level Assassin learns to perfect her killing strikes and becomes incredibly swift in carrying them out. An unaware foe the Assassin attacks is subject to a fortitude save (DC=10+1/2rogue level+dexterity bonus+# of sneak attack dice). If the enemy fails the save, the Assassin chooses whether he is killed instantly or knocked unconscious. Even if he succeeds the save,  or the Assassin is forced to attack prior to the third round, the enemy takes the Assassin's normal sneak attack damage, plus 2d6 for every round the Assassin has observed the target (maximum of 6d6). The Assassin need not observe the target before making the Silent Kill attack, but can do so to strengthen her sneak attack damage.

Dance of Death: A 20th level Assassin need not run from a fight, as she has mastered the art of swift killing and can use her trickery to keep her foes guessing for an extended period of time. Once per encounter, the Assassin may treat all enemies as flat-footed for the purpose of activating Sneak Attack, but not Silent Kill for a number of rounds equal to 1/4 her assassin level.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 01:25:13 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 05:11:36 PM »
Spellcaster Modifications:

[spoiler]Cleric Modifications -
None to date.

Sorcerer Modifications -
Hit dice increases to d6
Extra spells:
Sorcerer's gain one extra spell slot for each spell.

Wizard Modifications -
Hit dice increases to d6
Extra spells:
Wizard's gain 0-3rd level spell slots at the same rate as sorcerer's normally would (without the new spell slots granted in this balancing attempt) [/spoiler]

Alright, it's all up now. Go ahead and comment.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:39:37 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 05:17:02 PM »
Definitely lower the Cleric back down to d8  :D. When I said raise HDs I forgot that this would make the Cleric go up to d10, which, IMO, is really unnecessary.

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 05:22:11 PM »
Feats

(Under construction)

Fixed. Thanks man!

Random: I just realized I forgot to post on the intro thread... figures. :P

Edit: Are the Wizard's extra spells enough to help him out at earlier levels?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 03:41:56 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Templates to Power Up Non-Full Casters (3.5 Core only)
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 05:34:15 PM »
Um, I'd raise the Wizard's spells per day for 0-3rd level spells to the Sorcerer progression. And then give the Sorcerer like 1 more spell per day for each of those levels as well. That makes their difference, still negligible though, still a trade-off.

EDIT: There's an introductions thread? Whoopses...

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 05:41:43 PM »
Done and done... and yeah, there is one. You have to dig for it. XD

I still haven't run that one-shot. My main group's primary GM is rather skeptical of the templates. >_>

Current PbP Games:

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 05:58:48 PM »
Wow.  Good to see you here.  I'll take a closer look at it when I get more time.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 06:01:21 PM »
Thanks. 'Tis good to be here. Looking forward to the help.

Current PbP Games:

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 10:10:03 AM »
Again, nicely done.  I really love the flavor these options add.  Now, for a few points and questions:

Feral Tracker
  • What are the qualifications for dealing damage with Scent of Fear and Heart-Stopping Ambush?  Obviously, with the first, the opponent must be at least shaken.  But what about if the opponent is immune to crits?  Is Heart-Stopping Ambush a mind-affecting ability?
Tribal Shaman
  • A casting barbarian.  Interesting.
  • For Savage Casting, I don't think the Concentration check is going to do much good.  Given a barbarian's need for a good Con, the Con boost from rage, and max ranks, I doubt he'll ever fail this roll.  It alsmost seems unnecessary, really.  At 1st level, the DC is 11, and that barbarian (while raging) probably has a Con of 18-20.  This would put his Concentration score at +8 to +9.  If he was worried, he could take Skill Focus to make it a 100% success.  After that, the DC goes up one every three levels (as he gains access to new spells), but his Concentration score will be going up one point every level.  By the time he gets 2nd level spells, he should never fail this roll, even without any other boosts to his skill check.
Unstoppable Berserker
  • Stomping Kick is very interesting.  You might actually see an overrun in the game!
  • If attacking with Nine-Pins, is it at his full BAB?

I'll look at the other classes when I get more time.  I'm looking forward to this!
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 12:23:19 PM »
Okay.  I looked at a few more...

Bard
Poet
  • My only concern here is making Diplomancers more powerful.  I'm always weary about results dependant on skill checks.  Are you using Diplomay straight out of the PHB, or some modified version?
Fighter
  • In general, I'd suggest handing out the 10th level abilities at 9th level (or 11th if you really want), to decrease dead levels a bit.
Dreadnought
  • Maiming Strike could also deal ability damage to constructs by this reasoning.  How do you feel about this?
Eldritch Warrior
  • Does Wild Arcana arcana apply to energy damage from weapons (like a Flaming or Frost enhancement)?
Monk
Combat Sage
  • I'm assuming Knowledge is Power is in addition to Strength?  Even if not, this helps reduce MAD.
  • What type of action does Find the Weakpoint take?  Free?
Tranquil Blade
  • Does the double damage of Iaijutsu Strike work the same way as a crit?  Is it double base damage dice and static modifiers, but no increase on bonus damage dice?
  • Does Killing Stroke need to be declared before the attack roll is made?  If so, would the use only be expended on a successful crit?
Paladin
  • Good call on making Smite per encounter
Divine Shield
  • Wow on Divine Toughness.  This certainly makes him more tanky.
  • I love Harm's Way.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:24:58 PM by RobbyPants »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 03:39:49 PM »
Again, nicely done.  I really love the flavor these options add.  Now, for a few points and questions:
Thanks a bunch! The idea was semi-inspired by d20Modern's Talent trees.

Feral Tracker
  • What are the qualifications for dealing damage with Scent of Fear and Heart-Stopping Ambush?  Obviously, with the first, the opponent must be at least shaken.  But what about if the opponent is immune to crits?  Is Heart-Stopping Ambush a mind-affecting ability?
The damage from scent of fear is not precision damage, but actually extra damage resulting from the Feral Tracker's increased ferocity. Is it unbalanced to still add the damage against creatures immune to critical hits?

Heart-Stopping Ambush is a mind-affecting ability. I really need to go and designate which abilities are Ex/Su/SP and the like. I intended that it could only be used during a surprise round, against any foe caught flatfooted. I could change that if it's too weak for a 20th level ability.

Tribal Shaman
  • For Savage Casting, I don't think the Concentration check is going to do much good.  Given a barbarian's need for a good Con, the Con boost from rage, and max ranks, I doubt he'll ever fail this roll.  It alsmost seems unnecessary, really.  At 1st level, the DC is 11, and that barbarian (while raging) probably has a Con of 18-20.  This would put his Concentration score at +8 to +9.  If he was worried, he could take Skill Focus to make it a 100% success.  After that, the DC goes up one every three levels (as he gains access to new spells), but his Concentration score will be going up one point every level.  By the time he gets 2nd level spells, he should never fail this roll, even without any other boosts to his skill check.
Should I swap it out for something else, or simply drop the concentration checks?

Unstoppable Berserker
  • Stomping Kick is very interesting.  You might actually see an overrun in the game!
I actually had not thought about that, but is it balanced for him to be at his full BAB?

I'll look at the other classes when I get more time.  I'm looking forward to this!
Thanks again. It's always good to know when you've done a good job... or at least a decent one. :)

Bard
Poet
  • My only concern here is making Diplomancers more powerful.  I'm always weary about results dependant on skill checks.  Are you using Diplomay straight out of the PHB, or some modified version?
Standard. I personally haven't looked into diplomancers all that much. Should I increase/alter the checks?

Fighter
  • In general, I'd suggest handing out the 10th level abilities at 9th level (or 11th if you really want), to decrease dead levels a bit.
Sounds like a good idea. It probably helps spread the abilities out more nicely, too. I'll get working on that.
Dreadnought
  • Maiming Strike could also deal ability damage to constructs by this reasoning.  How do you feel about this?
I don't mind it. The Dreadnought needs to be imposing, and adding that the ability damage could be dealt to undead was supposed to illustrate that he is a force to be reckoned with. Is this unbalancing?

Eldritch Warrior
  • Does Wild Arcana arcana apply to energy damage from weapons (like a Flaming or Frost enhancement)?
I didn't intend for it to do so, but it seems like it should (at least, I feel under my templates the Eldritch Warrior might be getting the short end of the stick out of all the fighters, otherwise.)

Monk
Combat Sage
  • I'm assuming Knowledge is Power is in addition to Strength?  Even if not, this helps reduce MAD.
  • What type of action does Find the Weakpoint take?  Free?
It is in addition. I'll be sure to fix the notation so this is more clear.
As for Find the Weakpoint, swift is probably appropriate. I'll alter it after I finish this post.

Tranquil Blade
  • Does the double damage of Iaijutsu Strike work the same way as a crit?  Is it double base damage dice and static modifiers, but no increase on bonus damage dice?
  • Does Killing Stroke need to be declared before the attack roll is made?  If so, would the use only be expended on a successful crit?
Iaijutsu Strike was intended to work like a critical hit. I guess I should fix the notation to reflect that.

I intended it to be declared before, and lost on a miss.

Paladin
  • Good call on making Smite per encounter
Divine Shield
  • Wow on Divine Toughness.  This certainly makes him more tanky.
  • I love Harm's Way.
1. I wish I could take credit for the change to Smite, but that was bkdub's idea.
2. Is Divien Toughness too powerful? Considering his special abilities later on, as well as the fact that it only works on Paladin levels, I thought it was appropriate.
3. Another thing I wish I could take credit for, but I got the idea for the ability from D20Modern's Bodyguard advanced class (which either works similarly or the same; I can't remember.)

On a side-note, D20Modern has some awesome abilities listed within its pages. If you ever want to make a talent system for D&D classes, check the MSRD before you do anything. :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:45:51 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 03:58:37 PM »
The damage from scent of fear is not precision damage, but actually extra damage resulting from the Feral Tracker's increased ferocity. Is it unbalanced to still add the damage against creatures immune to critical hits?
No, that's fine.  I was just curious how you pictured it working.

Tribal Shaman
Should I swap it out for something else, or simply drop the concentration checks?
Well, if you simply drop it, I think it will have the same effect as printed, with one less die roll.  There might be some other way to make it more random, but it seems that when using skill checks to determine success based off DCs like that, they're usually either too high to hit or too low to miss.  They only ever seem to be 50-50 for a few levels, then that window closes fast.

If you want it to be more random, you could do something like a Will save, but I don't think it's all that necessary to have a check.

Unstoppable Berserker
I actually had not thought about that, but is it balanced for him to be at his full BAB?
I don't think it's too powerful.  You get it at level 12, and it behaves like Whirlwind Attack.  Just be sure to put something in there saying that you only get a single attack per target, and those attacks cannot generate other attacks such as from Cleave.  Otherwise you have the whole bag-of-rats problem from 3.0 again.

Bard
Poet
Standard. I personally haven't looked into diplomancers all that much. Should I increase/alter the checks?
Rich Burlew posted a Diplomacy Fix at GiantITP.  I'm not saying it's perfect, but it starts getting around fixed DCs.  You might want to implement something similar to the DCs of the poetry abilities.

I don't mind it. The Dreadnought needs to be imposing, and adding that the ability damage could be dealt to undead was supposed to illustrate that he is a force to be reckoned with. Is this unbalancing?
I think that's just fine.  Not being able to deal ability damage to undead and simlar creatures is based more on common sense and "realism" than balance anyway.  You've come up with a flavorful way to by-pass that limitation.

1. I wish I could take credit for the change to Smite, but that was bkdub's idea.
Others have had the idea too.  It's a common fix.

2. Is Divien Toughness too powerful? Considering his special abilities later on, as well as the fact that it only works on Paladin levels, I thought it was appropriate.
I don't think it's too crazy.  It will be a help, but not in a really broken fashion.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 04:22:11 PM »
No, that's fine.  I was just curious how you pictured it working.
Understood. I'll add in a note to clarify it.

Well, if you simply drop it, I think it will have the same effect as printed, with one less die roll.  There might be some other way to make it more random, but it seems that when using skill checks to determine success based off DCs like that, they're usually either too high to hit or too low to miss.  They only ever seem to be 50-50 for a few levels, then that window closes fast.

If you want it to be more random, you could do something like a Will save, but I don't think it's all that necessary to have a check.
Hmm... do you think the other limitation (only being able to cast spells gained from Barbarian levels while in a rage) is enough?

I don't think it's too powerful.  You get it at level 12, and it behaves like Whirlwind Attack.  Just be sure to put something in there saying that you only get a single attack per target, and those attacks cannot generate other attacks such as from Cleave.  Otherwise you have the whole bag-of-rats problem from 3.0 again.
I understand. I'll make a note for it.

Rich Burlew posted a Diplomacy Fix at GiantITP.  I'm not saying it's perfect, but it starts getting around fixed DCs.  You might want to implement something similar to the DCs of the poetry abilities.
That looks pretty cool so far! I'll have to read through it again later to see how I can alter the skill to either fit or imitate those rules.

I think that's just fine.  Not being able to deal ability damage to undead and simlar creatures is based more on common sense and "realism" than balance anyway.  You've come up with a flavorful way to by-pass that limitation.
Alright then. I'll add Constructs to the list of vulnerable creatures.

I don't think it's too crazy.  It will be a help, but not in a really broken fashion.
I thought as much. My group's primary GM was rather skeptical about it, so I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the critiques!

Current PbP Games:

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 04:32:16 PM »
Yeah, I was a bit skeptical about the Poet's checks myself, but I assumed that Vega's games weren't going to be troubled by diplomancers anytime soon. Rich's diplomacy fix is AWESOME. I feel like you can't go wrong with it.