Author Topic: Should i go to 4th ed.  (Read 8215 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Should i go to 4th ed.
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2008, 08:58:05 AM »
Great comparison

1) HeroQuest -a game with 4 static character cards with the only real variable being equipment.
2) 4E - a game with 11  races (Dragonborn, Drow, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Genasi, Halfling, Half Elf, Human, Tiefling, Warforged)*, 11 classes (Artificer, Barbarian, Cleric, Fighter,  Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Swordmage, Warlock, Warlord, Wizard), 4 multiclass only "classes", over 50 options for paragon paths/paragon multiclassing, several epic destinies,  well over a hundred feats (probably over 200 with all sources, but I don't have a definite count at this time), and I would bet over a thousand magic items. With each of those choices expanding all the time, 3 new races, 3 new classes and countless feats added in the past 4 months.

* Also, there are an additional several monstrous races that are playable but have limited support(feats, etc) after their starting stats.

If you start 4E, are you going to say its the perfect game and you will never want to buy another?
Probably not, it has its flaws like any game. But saying its a board game is laughably far from the truth.

Except that all the choices boil down to the same thing. You get the same gameplay. Roll d20, hope for a 12, do X[W] (or some variant) damage.