Author Topic: Attitude Towards 4e  (Read 41954 times)

DaveTheMagicWeasel

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • If you optimize it, they will come
    • Email
Re: Attitude Towards 4e
« Reply #240 on: June 13, 2008, 05:55:52 PM »
I've read it. It induced this feeling: :wall

This one: :fo

And this one: ???

With that said if you don't like it you aren't being forced to tolerate it. Doing something you don't enjoy and aren't forced to do simply breeds resentment, and I assume you don't want to end up resenting these people?

Those smilies sum up my reaction as well.

I started out very pro-4e when the announcement was made.  And what I find striking is how quickly I've run out of steam with it - I've been playing with 3.5 builds for years and never got bored, but I stopped playing with 4e after about a week. I might come back to it, but right now I have no desire to look at it, it just hasn't sparked my imagination at all.

I need a shrug of indifference smiley to close with.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #241 on: June 13, 2008, 06:16:02 PM »
:shrug
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: June 13, 2008, 06:52:40 PM »
I've read it. It induced this feeling: :wall

This one: :fo

And this one: ???

With that said if you don't like it you aren't being forced to tolerate it. Doing something you don't enjoy and aren't forced to do simply breeds resentment, and I assume you don't want to end up resenting these people?

I feel the same way. When I first heard it, coupled with the fact that they said it would be more like SW:SE, I was very enthousiastic. But then I got my eyes on one of those previews, and then the PHB... It can be fun, I guess, if you aren't aware of 3.5...

Those smilies sum up my reaction as well.

I started out very pro-4e when the announcement was made.  And what I find striking is how quickly I've run out of steam with it - I've been playing with 3.5 builds for years and never got bored, but I stopped playing with 4e after about a week. I might come back to it, but right now I have no desire to look at it, it just hasn't sparked my imagination at all.

I need a shrug of indifference smiley to close with.

I feel the same way... I was all enthousiastic when I first heard about 4E being more like SW:SE, but then came that preview... And the PHB confirmed it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 07:09:29 PM by GawainBS »

DaveTheMagicWeasel

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • If you optimize it, they will come
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2008, 06:54:26 PM »

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: June 14, 2008, 01:38:19 PM »
Well, i decided to focus more on the story than battle, so i have to tolerate that phucked up system like twice per session, and then i mostly make up my monsters because of the lack of tools to create them, so it's not mind boggingly bad.

But yeah, if i dislike it too much, i'll just retract.

Or maybe break the game, cause i'm pretty sure it's still possible.

brislove

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2008, 06:26:15 PM »
Ultimately I don't like being told that something I like is terrible by people who won't even bother to read it.
I've read it and think it is terrible. Happy?

yup, I'm happy that you gave it a chance, you read it. It's not the RPG you want to play, you should play the RPG you want to play.

Everyone has something that is important to them in a game. I think 4e is an excellent cinematic Action Adventure game, with a well balanced tactical combat system. This is what I want from D&D. There are plenty of good RPGs that all do different things, and do them well. Balance is a huge point of issue for me, I like to be able to optimize my characters fully and not make the game unfun for other players. I fricken blast half the time in 3.5 because otherwise people feel like they are just going through the motions (which they are, cause I had already won the fight).

3.5 is an RPG that does something different and does it well. 3.5 is a complex-simulationist tactical combat RPG. 3.5 and 4e are very similar in concept, but there is one significant difference, 3.5 sacrifices balance for simulation and options. you can do anything you want in 3.5 ANYTHING. 3.5 is still well balanced compared to many other systems, but the balance breaks down at higher levels.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2008, 11:49:46 PM »
I think 4e is an excellent cinematic Action Adventure game, with a well balanced tactical combat system.

How is the game cinematic?
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: June 16, 2008, 03:27:10 AM »
I think 4e is an excellent cinematic Action Adventure game, with a well balanced tactical combat system.

Because you have to play a movie during a session to keep it at least a bit intresting? ;)

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: June 16, 2008, 03:38:25 AM »

Because you have to play a movie during a session to keep it at least a bit intresting? ;)

LOL. Nicely done. Hopefully not true, but for the chuckle a G-Fu for you!
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: June 16, 2008, 03:39:54 AM »

Wow, my first G-Fu! Thanks!

LOL. Nicely done. Hopefully not true, but for the chuckle a G-Fu for you!

brislove

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: June 16, 2008, 05:37:29 AM »

The same way 3.5 is. You get to be creative and BE heroic, do things that are impossible, save the world, and get the girl :). Honestly the only real difference I feel while playing 4e vs 3.5 is that 4e is more balanced, and 3.5 has more simulation. Balance is more important to me, so 4e is a good system for me.

My only real complaints with 3.5 are 7-9th level spells, and polymorph. from a player perspective. from a DM perspective the rules were not designed for multiple enemy encounters, but PCs crush solo enemy encounters via too many actions OR the monsters single action is overbearing against a party member, and it evens things out by taking away player actions, which isn't fun for players as they don't get to do anything.

I guess perhaps the rules themselves aren't cinematic, but 4e does provide HEROES with a lot of little extras that set them apart from your commoner. something a level 1 fighter in 3.5 didn't really have (+1 to hit, w/e).

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #251 on: June 16, 2008, 05:38:58 AM »
I wonder if everybody would keep vaunting 4E's "balance" in a year's time...

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #252 on: June 16, 2008, 01:46:18 PM »
Meh.  Action points do not a cinematic game make.  Adventure, now, that's a cinematic game.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: June 16, 2008, 10:52:49 PM »

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #254 on: June 16, 2008, 11:02:12 PM »
Josh, seriously, do you OWN any other books besides SW and SotC?  And no saying "Burning Wheel"   :smirk

I think D&D (any version) can be cinematic but the mechanics also promote it to be extremely un-cinematic too.  There is so much about rolling and adding in bonuses to overcome another number, the descriptors and actual in-game action can be completely lost without a GM which insists on maintaining that. 

4e is essentially a very well laid out, well organized system just for dungeon crawl's.  And I don't say that with any sort of negative connotation.  For what it is, I think it exceeds expectations and is a ton of fun.  So you'll have a ton of action and adventure, but it won't necessarily be cinematic for the folks sitting at the table.

For an example of a game which I believe could be cinematic, check out Shock.  I only played once, but it's all about building multiple conflicts as a group and description and detail is heavily rewarded. 

And yes, though I think Josh polishes the above games knobs far too much, Spirit of the Century does that even more.  It's like playing a pulp movie.  You can almost hear the zeppelins "whizzing" by. 
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #255 on: June 16, 2008, 11:06:15 PM »
Just so.  I'd classify a "cinematic" game as one that actively encourages and rewards cinematic play.  D&D, generally, doesn't...in fact, I'd say most editions go in the opposite direction.  (Mechanically, it makes much more sense in 3.5 to rest up, then ambush one encounter, then rest up again--not very cinematic.  In 4e, it's all about tactical maneuvering...which, while interesting, isn't really cinematic, either.)

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: June 16, 2008, 11:34:44 PM »
Josh, seriously, do you OWN any other books besides SW and SotC?  And no saying "Burning Wheel"
Yeah, they just are not very good.

I will start polishing the knobs of other good games as soon as they get discovered/made.

Like Dread.  Hat game is 20lbs of awesome in a 5lb sack.  It is over a year old but I just discovered it. 

Btw, it is cinematic as well, just in a particular way.

Just so.  I'd classify a "cinematic" game as one that actively encourages and rewards cinematic play. 
Well said.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2008, 08:36:08 AM »

Would it be frowned upon if I said D&D from any edition discourages heroism? As the Stormind Fallacy puts so eloquently, dead characters don't roleplay.

A D&D character properly optimised is a soldier. The right tools & tactics are paramount. You are rewarded by beating your challenges without casualties or loss by doing so. YOu don't care about fair or good story, you rush in like a SWAT team and go to win.

In my humble opinion this is a contradiction of heroic fantasy. It's the characters against odds that would dwarf them, and yet, they fight on.

My campaigns have ridiculous challenges, a CR 12 monster against a ECL 3 party. It was the best fight of my players gaming carreers they say, they had to win with planning, luck and hope alone. Admittedly I mod the hell out of the rules for my campaigns, but I think thats a flaw in the system that doesn't address heroic, cinematic odds.

Thoughts?
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2008, 08:39:20 AM »
Do such challenges not further encourage optimizing and tactical analyzing, hence, according to some, lowering the "heroic", "cinematic" feel? For me, I have no problem imagining my optimized character doing cinematic stuff. It's all in your own head, I think.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #259 on: June 17, 2008, 02:16:15 PM »
Do such challenges not further encourage optimizing and tactical analyzing, hence, according to some, lowering the "heroic", "cinematic" feel? For me, I have no problem imagining my optimized character doing cinematic stuff. It's all in your own head, I think.

I can imagine the captain of a starship doing cinematic, heroic stuff in a game of Star Fleet Battles.  I can imagine a soldier doing cinematic, heroic things in a game of Terrible Swift Sword.  That doesn't make SFB or TSS a particularly cinematic game, though.  Cinematic is like comedy--you can do it with any system, but some systems are designed to support it and others aren't.