Author Topic: Sode #26: Gender Roles and Playing What You Ain't  (Read 18364 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Sode #26: Gender Roles and Playing What You Ain't
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:01:41 AM »
This episode has been recorded and is scheduled for release on November 4th.  It covers playing anything that you aren't- especially guys playing girls, but also kids, old people, etc.  Includes a few voice acting techniques!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 10:38:04 AM by Meg »
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Sode #26) Gender Roles and Playing What You Ain't
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 10:37:26 AM »
The episode is up!

http://brilliantgameologists.com/blog/57

We talk a lot about gender and given the time we're in, hence talk a lot about Sarah Palin (we tried to be non partisan, we promise!).  So this will make a great show to listen to today, Election Day!

Also, we said we would link to some of those "tests" you can take in character that round out your personality-- you know the ones-- #1) What kind of shoes does your character where?  2) What was his/her favorite childhood toy?  All of that.  If you know of some or your search skills are mighty fine, link them for everyone to enjoy!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Re: Sode #26: Gender Roles and Playing What You Ain't
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:34:34 AM »
Sweet. Thanks.  Will go listen now  :D
Placeholder - T'tosc

Luke

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Let's Put a Smile on That Face!
    • The Podge Cast
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:07:36 PM »
Going to listen on the way to work.  I'm expecting an in-depth discussion of boobs to distract me from Election Day.  I somehow doubt you'll disappoint.
Co-Host of The Podge Cast.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 04:31:07 PM »
Balls. I'm behind schedule. *goes off to listen to 25 and 26 then*
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Wordman

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Asteroid
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 04:36:49 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:50:43 AM by Wordman »
Ctrl ]

Darth Krzysztof

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Texan Metal Sith Lord
    • Cold Blood - my chat-based D&D v.3.5 Planescape campaign
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 02:19:35 AM »
I really like the vocal coaching section of this episode, since it systemizes the stuff I've been doing all along. It's much easier to understand these concepts when they're presented in audio.

But mine's a chat-based game, and we don't use voice at all. Now, you -can- differentiate characters via textual dialog - and as GM, I *have* to - and the underlying principles are kinda the same. Favorite expressions and behaviors, use of vocabulary & slang, and attention to grammar are all factors I use to keep NPC voices distinctive in my mind, and those of the players. Just try not to get carried away with typing out dialects, lest they become impenetrable.

I personally don't think it's weird to gender-bend, being a GM and all, but there certainly seem to be a lot of gamers out there who've had bad experiences with it. I did play with a guy once whose female PC became a Raging Whore, but this was after she'd been reincarnated from an ogress to a Hot Elven Chick, so we considered it appropriate at the time.

One archetype that I didn't hear mentioned is the Woman Fleeing an Arranged Marriage. I've used that one a couple of times - it's emotional, it's motivational, it happens, and it's a hell of a lot better than the Vengeful Victim cliche.

And I did play a Henpecked Adventurer once - it was a gas.
Cold Blood - my chat-based D&D v.3.5 Planescape campaign.

Read my diatribe about chat-based gaming here.

Solo Phoenix

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • My deviantArt
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 09:03:18 AM »
Speaking of the vocal coaching section, I have no idea where you got the impression that New Zealanders pronounce an "eh" sound as "ee".  And nasal cockney is probably closer to a select few Australians.  I do wholeheartedly reccomend using a New Zealand accent though, as many people can't place it, giving your character some mystique.  For reference, here's a New Zealander interviewing an Australian.

Hmmm, listening to that, it seems John Campbell pronounces the "eh" sound in "where" as "ee", not something I do personally though.
Advice to gamer girls looking for love: The odds are very good, but the goods are very odd.<br /><br />They call it a clam for a reason.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 11:19:19 AM »
Speaking of the vocal coaching section, I have no idea where you got the impression that New Zealanders pronounce an "eh" sound as "ee".  And nasal cockney is probably closer to a select few Australians.  I do wholeheartedly reccomend using a New Zealand accent though, as many people can't place it, giving your character some mystique.  For reference, here's a New Zealander interviewing an Australian.

Hmmm, listening to that, it seems John Campbell pronounces the "eh" sound in "where" as "ee", not something I do personally though.

When I was in "Great Expectations" I had to learn 2 different accents to use.  In the course of learning Cockney the language training tapes explained that a New Zealand was Cockney through your nose.

However accents are quite variable, particularly on the east coast.  Here in New England we have some of the most variable accents.  Where often you can locate state, social class and town by the accent.  So most accents are really approximations. 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Solo Phoenix

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • My deviantArt
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 12:15:46 PM »
It's a strange phenomenom in New Zealand that we don't have regional dialects.  The closest we come is the way South Islanders pronounce their 'r's a little more Scot-ish.  We do have some small variation though, it just doesn't seem to have any reason behind it.  I thnk it's just personality. 

I've been occasionally mistaken for an American, I think due to the fact that I don't slur my words together like many Kiwis.  Currently, my accent seems to be shot to pieces after living in the UK for 10 months.  I havn't noticed any change myself, but my family have remarked that I sound English.  When I found that video I was surprised how strong the New Zealand accent sounded to me.  I guess I've adapted quickly, so hopefully I'll revert back to my native accent fairly soon after my return.  Only 43 days to go :).
Advice to gamer girls looking for love: The odds are very good, but the goods are very odd.<br /><br />They call it a clam for a reason.

jimmersault

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 05:29:51 PM »
Good episode. I rarely play things I ain't mostly because of my personal motivation to roleplay. I've found that the gender bending (sex-bending) has become more of a nuisance than benefit in games, so I've avoided it. One of the best examples I've read was the 'Drunk southern girls with guns' campaign. It wasn't gender (sex) bending as the player was a girl, but it was one girl player with flaws (I'm not sure if  was point buy) that I would be really motivated to play along side. Her flaws were real and the character interesting. Contrary to the theme of the episode, it was the character itself that was interesting, not the fact that it was atypically (astereotypically?) female. As much as I state that I won't play another sex, this episode gave me some food for thought and has made me a little more comfortable with the idea. If I can find the plot reason to do it, I just might. But I am held back by the difficulty I find in skirting the line (no pun) between playing the opposite sex for its own sake versus writing the opposite sex on my sheet and it having no in-game impact. It's a tough line for me, revealing my weakness as a role-player.

James

By the way, whenever I read that I can check out Meg's twitter, I blush a little. I guess I'm old fashioned.
Actual table rule, we had to get Zeke to stop interfering [mock humping] with the person trying to take their turn.

jimmersault: Zeke is my new hero.

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 09:42:20 PM »
As one of the choir, I zoned the sermon out.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 01:22:59 AM »
Y'know I realized while listening to this I have almost never played a PC who wasn't the Outsider (I once played a 400 pound intelligent hamster) or the Crazy....

Possibly because I'm actually good at both of them.  I'll never forget the day the group found out my PC they'd come to trust and traveled with murdered his entire family at age 11.  That made for some interesting sessions...

Oh and if you want voice manipulation lessons for gender bending visit Youtube.  There's a ton of vids of tg's showing how to manipulate ones voice.

Achiever_Type

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 04:11:19 AM »
Hmmm, the DB section made me chuckle.  I'm the kinda guy who hates people who fail to address things logically.  Though Pathos and Ethos have their place too, Logos isn't the only persuasive method.  But definitely, people who just say "Because" infuriate me, especially if I've put forth a significant argument and taken the time to support it with facts.  I think the best way to get someone who responds that way is to encircle them and put them on the spot.  "I've said X, you have no retort, I've said Y, you've have no retort, Fact Z, Q and R support my position but you have none." Logos covered, beat em up on the Pathos and Ethos field too and you'll have won by default:  everyone will think the other is a tardgar.

On to the show, specifically.  I like the discussion on cliches, and think that's a universal constant.  There are cliches for tremendous numbers of things, and almost none of them contribute to a role playing game when they are embraced.  Glad to see you mentioned this. 

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 05:59:27 AM »
Very interesting episode. I know you mentioned it/glanced over it, but I think there's merit in acknowledging that playing what you ain't in the race (for D&D) category can be a difficult change. I have a player trying to figure out how to play a warforged currently, and it's interesting to watch the steps he's going for. He's a got a bit of the 'philosophically different' mixed with the 'kid mentality' but there's something else to it. Sometimes even if you play someone who has the same views as you, but grew up in a different culture (warforged, dwarf, etc) there's an interesting and fun challenge in it.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 08:52:28 AM »
This makes me kinda wonder if I could do a Joan of Arc type of character in a game... because, you know, there is probably no historic character that's more different from me than Joan of Arc.  It's not just the male/female thing, it's also the Atheist/Catholic thing and the Hygenic/French thing.

This was probably one of the best episodes for pure gameology, whereas others might have been good for comedic entertainment or just general shitting on e-tards.  This could get people thinking about how they can make really interesting characters that normally wouldn't even cross their minds.

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 04:43:53 AM »
Stanislavski. Ugh.
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 07:12:52 PM »
Ooh, I forgot to say something after I listened to the ep, so let me just say...

:thumb
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 08:30:03 PM »
Now that I finally got around to listening to it, great episode!  :clap

As soon as you started talking about other female archtypes, I instantly thought Joan of Arc. Ive always wanted to play one of those....

But great content, very entertaining.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 11:50:29 AM »
Everyone wants to play Joan of Arc, it seems :P
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]