Author Topic: Walker in the Waste(Mr. Icy Hot Revised)  (Read 13397 times)

Braithwaite

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Walker in the Waste(Mr. Icy Hot Revised)
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 07:44:35 AM »
Well RAW it says that you assume the template, which happens to have a +4 level adjustment. It never, ever, ever, ever mentions changing the template to not have a template.

RAW it does not say that you assume the template. It says that you MAY assume the template with other requisites and the assistance of a Dry Litch. Similarly, any humanoid may assume a Lycanthropy template with the assistance of a natural lycanthrope. They still have to pay the level adjustment though. They have just met the prerequisites. That is the difference between Walker in the Waste and the transformational classes cited like Dragon Disciple.

And yes, there are a couple of dead spellcasting levels. But the class has some special abilities that it gets. Does this make up for lost caster levels? Probably not. Does this put it in the range of other prestige classes in terms of balance? Probably. Is it more balanced than adding a 4 level template to the class for free? Certainly.

StPeteGamer

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 04:51:09 PM »
Well RAW it says that you assume the template, which happens to have a +4 level adjustment. It never, ever, ever, ever mentions changing the template to not have a template.

RAW it does not say that you assume the template. It says that you MAY assume the template with other requisites and the assistance of a Dry Litch. Similarly, any humanoid may assume a Lycanthropy template with the assistance of a natural lycanthrope. They still have to pay the level adjustment though. They have just met the prerequisites. That is the difference between Walker in the Waste and the transformational classes cited like Dragon Disciple.

And yes, there are a couple of dead spellcasting levels. But the class has some special abilities that it gets. Does this make up for lost caster levels? Probably not. Does this put it in the range of other prestige classes in terms of balance? Probably. Is it more balanced than adding a 4 level template to the class for free? Certainly.

It sounds like you are agreeing with me but I just cant quite tell....
The fact that you give up 2 CLs seems like enough of a sac for the template, I have not read it in a while, which is not uber in any sense so I percieve it as enough of a trade off for what I want to do.  Also, my DM didn't have a problem with it, and with the addition of burning a lot of wealth into it seems like a fairly level trade not like I am winning to hard or loosing big....

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 08:17:37 PM »
Losing caster progression is the cardinal sin for practical optimization. If you're giving up two levels, IE a spell level, you had better be getting something good for it.