Author Topic: Town of Lundeth  (Read 15456 times)

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
Town of Lundeth
« on: October 27, 2008, 11:47:15 AM »
The mining town of Lundeth is a gathering point for whoever wants to work in or around the gem-mines in the desert. Also, it houses a force of militia to defend against whoever believes the wealth the mines produce is theirs for the taking. The Lundeth militia is experienced, well-equipped and quickly readied against almost any threat. Whenever they can't handle things, the trade magnates in Baldur's Gate will be alerted by sendings and then quickly teleport in a troop of heavy hitters. Scouts roam around the town and the mines far and wide to alert them against possible threats.

The town itself is a fortified mining town, partly underground, and partly covered by huge domes of solid stone, both to protect against sandstorms and possible aerial attacks.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
Re: Town of Lundeth
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 10:41:57 AM »
Day 12, evening

Quote from: Agnak
With an surprising abruptness, Agnak and the others disappeared with a loud snap and rush of air.  Lyrna shrieked as they party reappeared with a loud 'BAMPH!', hovering lightly five hundred feet above the city of Lundeth.

Agnak glanced down to over at the priest tightly clutching his arm. 'Devanar, you're probably the most familiar with the city. Where to first?'

Devanar's heart missed a beat as Agnak leapt into the air and his full weight of near 300lbs hung on his arms alone. The drag proved far too much for the fat cleric, his hands sliding down Agnak's scaly arm almost without slowing him down. Then a big clawed hand grabbed him and held him in an iron grip, and the world blinked out of existance for a second. And then they reappeared above the mining town, and Devanar's heart missed another beat as he looked down, and then he frantically searched for things to hold on to, his hands flailing around Agnak's body, finally finding a belt and latching on to that, at least enabling him to remain steady, while his full weight was hanging on Agnak's arm.

'PUT me DOWN....ANYWHERE!' he almost wailed.

Below them, the domes of Lundeth reflected the remaining sun of the evening, bathing everything in golden light. There were a few huts outside the domes, a graveyard with Devanar's own little temple, and cattle pens enclosed in a sandstone wall. Three stone watchtowers formed a triangular perimeter. In the center of the town a huge red rock formed a natural stronghold, and domed fort was built on top of it, with three towers with turrets and a high center tower, in the middle of the dome, culminating in a Pillar of Eyes.

A few miles westward a few black specks were visible in the sky, griffon riders on patrol, likely as not.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:03:02 AM by Brainpiercing »

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »
'I suppose we'll start off at the temple then,' he said as he angled towards the far away temple. Gliding down gently to it, he was careful to not let anyone plummet to their death. He scanned the area, wondering if any patrols or any other defense was going to interfere before he landed.  [Spot: 18]

[spoiler=OOC]Just for future reference, my light load is 612lbs. I'm carrying 53lbs of gear, Devanar weighs around 300lbs, Mags weighs 55lbs, and I figured Lyrna weighed between 120-150lbs. So I had some pounds to spare even carrying everyone.[/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 09:53:07 PM »
Despite the rustling of the air, Mag's teeth can be heard gnashing in the wind.

"Bah, you people with your unnatural stone walls, and now taking to the air... just pick a direction, I will follow you on foot."

Before either Agnak or Devanar can react, Maglu'glath breaks free and drops to the earth. Agnak reflexively begins to dive to catch him, eliciting another scream from Lyrna in the process, but no sooner has he begun his descent then Maglu'glath suddenly disappears from view.

OOC:[spoiler]Mag can't fly, but he is capable of landing... sort of. Mag is most comfortable on the ground when given a choice, having lived most of his life underground. After spending the last little while in a church with cold worked stone, and now flapping in the air, he's had enough.[/spoiler]
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 09:06:02 AM »
[ooc:][spoiler]Uh... Surreal, look at your sheet. Mag can't fly, but almost... [/spoiler]

No reaction was visible from the town. A few people were working in the cattle pens, but other than that the town seemed remarkably quiet. Usually people were milling about at this time, and children were playing outside, but now everybody seemed to have taken refuge within the domes.

Still, someone was undoubtedly watching. The Pillar of Eyes was manned throughout day and night, and little could escape its view. It was strange in itself to have such a Beholder artifact within a human settlement, but its use was undoubtedly great.

As they set down Devanar's tension left him suddenly and he sank to his knees and clasped his hands. 'Oh Lord Lathander, I thank thee for your kindness in letting me survive...', he said. '...I swear I've never been so frightened.'

Even though nothing happened while the group descendet, the moment Agnak touched the ground near the temple, a gate opened at the bottom of the rock fortress, and a troop of mounted guards exited at a fast canter. They wore fighting gear, but their spears were raised and not set for a charge.

They approached the group (and also Maglu'glath should he reappear anywhere else) and assumed a semicircle formation a good 15 yards in front of them. The leader dismounted.
'Hoy, Devanar. Are ye safe and free, or here under duress?' he asked, because he was uncertain what the relationship between the strange group was.
Devanar got up.
'Safe and sound, and most free...', he said. 'This here is Agnak, a hero who volunteered to investigate the strange occurences that have happened here lately. And you might know Lyrna, she is the wife of Sebold, the animal handler. She and their son Dold were in Ladydove, and their son was... killed, just like the Cantilops.'
He shook his head in regret.
'Our final  member is Maglu'glath, a... goblin chief who also volunteered to help.'
The guards visibly relaxed, and their leader told them to stand aside with a quick wave of a hand.
'We still haven't found the undead. They must be hiding in some hole around here. We searched all the domes, and the temple, too, and no sign of 'em'.
He shook his head.
'It's a damn shame....' he added, with vehemence, and a sharp look at Devanar.
Devanar could only look at the floor in shame.
The leader went on,  'If ye have errands outside ye should do them before nightfall. The Commander has imposed a curfew and we all have standing orders to attack on sight. All the domes will be closed, and the tunnels guarded. I pity the boys who will be lying in waiting by the cattle pens. The Commander figured if they can't get human they'll settle for cow, and that's when we'll nab 'em.'
From the way he was talking it was clear the leader feared more for the townspeople than for the guards, and that his pity was just due to an uncomfortable duty. He was not worried they would not be able to deal with these undead.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 04:16:10 AM »
OOC:[spoiler]Yes I know Mag can't fly... I said that in my ooc at the end of my previous post...[/spoiler]

A small pepple comes from the bushes and bounces off Agnak's head, barely enough the catch his attention. The half-dragon looks upwards with a hmph, as if expecting another raindrop.

"So what now Devanar?" came a voice from the bushes. Upon hearing the unfamiliar voice, the guards nearly instantly set into formation with their spears pointing towards the bush. In a half panic, Devanar tries to wave them off before someone caused an incident.

"No no, that would, er, that would be Maglu'glath. He is here to help." stammered Devanar.

With that, the old goblin stepped from the bushes, nearly smirking at the guardmen, as if taunting them. With another wave from their leader, they relaxed and raised their spears. Stepping forward, their leder offered a quick salute as greeting. "Hail, Chief Maglu'glath. We thank you for any aid you bring."

Maglu'glath returned the salute in kind. Though he was never one for formality, he appreciated the militaristic rigor and countenance shown to him.
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 05:23:07 PM »
Agnak looked somewhat dismayed that the guards had found no trace of the undead, but not very surprised either. But the plan with the cattle was better than anything else presented so far.

'If it's allowed, I'd like to be with the men at the cattle pen. The undead would probably be most attracted to that area, and that's where I want to be,' he finished with a grunt.

Glancing back at Lyrna, Agnak eyes widened in remembrance and he tossed another inquiry towards the leader of the guards before the man could respond.

Also, do you know where any druids are around here? I have to speak with them, it concerns the life of the deceased child, Dold.'

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 11:29:55 AM »
The Leader raised an eyebrow sizing up the half-dragon in front of him after hearing his offer. [Aura 10 vs. Agnak's 16] Then he shook his head, and answered the second question first.
'Druids... they are a reclusive sort, and don't often announce their presence. It is said they are good with animals, and we have a lot of those in the mines, and ugly brutes that could tear a man apart in seconds. And yet they are usually quite peaceful, around their handlers that is. I know there are two wizards and a sorceror among the handlers, there may be a druid, too.'

'As to your offer, aye, it is generous, but the men will be able to deal with these undead. This town only allows civilians to join in guard duty in extreme emergencies. The only civilian we would have there is Devanar, because he's the one responsible, and also because we have no other priest at this time. If one of the boys were to have his life energies drained... it would be convenient to have him around. But I am told these undead are perversions of the living, they are not much stronger than the people they used to be...'
He trailed off.
Devanar hurriedly aknowledge the request.
'Of course I will wait there with the guards.'
The Leader nodded to Devanar, then turned back to Agnak, 'Of course, what you do outside of town is of no concern to me. Just announce yourself to the guards when you come back in. Don't get your hopes up of finding anything. We've been combing the desert and the hills for days now.'

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 09:40:28 PM »
Agnak frowned as the guard captain stood before him. An unknown amount of undead were somewhere in the area, and townsfolk had already been killed. It seemed odd the man wouldn't accept free help offered to him. 'I don't see why I shouldn't be there. I know how to handle myself in a fight, and wouldn't it be better to have me here if it gets worse than expected?' [Diplomacy: 4... ouch] He saw the captain glare at him, seemingly insulted that the half-dragon before him thought his men couldn't handle the situation.

'On the other hand,' Agnak quipped as he fluttered his wings and coughed awkwardly, The situation seems well in hand as it is. May as well use my talents elsewhere, um.....Yes, that'd be best.' Agnak shook his head almost imperceptibly, wondering to himself, Some humans and their odd idea that they need to prove they aren't helpless...It's always been so very strange.

Thinking back towards what the leader had said, Agnak did his best to deflect the conversation away from the cattle pen. 'So....Where are the mines? You said there was a druid among the handlers, right?'

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 12:19:56 AM »
For the most part, Maglu'glath dismissed the guard's refusal of help from Agnak. He understood it as a matter of pride, and would not assist unless it was asked for.

"I believe I will accompany you the mines. Another pair of eyes you know..." said Maglu'glath to Agnak. In truth, he had spent far too many days in the light and would enjoy a respite in the earth, even if they had to go crawling through some mines. Well, Agnak might have to crawl. He could simply walk.
---

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 08:02:21 AM »
The guard relaxed as Agnak did not insist further.
'I said, there might be a druid among the handlers. I suggest ye go to the gem-mine tomorrow, though. It's already getting dark, and them mines always have a curfew at sundown. They won't let you in today, unless ye teleport there right now. But we've got a guard rotation going there tomorrow, ye could come along. We can put you up in guest quarters in one of the domes. And don't worry, if an army of undead comes along, ye'll be the first one asked for help.'

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 05:46:08 PM »
Maglu'glath grunted disapprovingly, albeit quietly. If the mines weren't too far from the town he and the half-dragon could probably make it there in short order, but he did not wish to push the patience of these townfolk just yet.

"Well then, how about something to eat?"
---

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 12:48:37 AM »
Agnak nodded at the guard's suggestion, 'That sounds best.' As Maglu'glath spoke, Agnak glanced down at his gurgling stomach. He realized he hadn't eaten since that meal back at the bar in Ladydove, though it had barely been a meal considering his sizable frame. He raised his eyes back to the guard in a hopeful manner, 'They have food in the domes, right?'

[spoiler=OOC]Sorry about these delays. Really trying to get my applications done so I can never worry about school again until the summer. I'm pretty sure I'll be done by Friday.[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 10:53:08 AM »
The guard team leader nodded.
'Alrighty then. Corporal Fitlin here can lead you to your quarters. I'll send Devanar to pick you up there in the morning. And never worry, we have food, wine and beer. Get your fill, and then some, and we'll still have some to spare.'
He grinned at Agnak and Maglu'glath, then turned to Devanar with a none-too-friendly look.
'Get cleaned up and rest a bit. We're not expecting anything until well after sundown.'

The troop marched off at that point, only one Corporal staying behind to lead the guests to their quarters.  Devanar said to Maglu'glath, 'I'll be going to the temple to prepare. I... don't know if that will be a restful place for you.'

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 06:56:42 PM »
Maglu'glath grimaced at the mention of staying in another temple.

"Bah, you do what you have to do. If they have food and a place for me to sleep here, I will be fine."

OOC[spoiler]
Not sure if we're just supposed to wait around until morning now or what...?[/spoiler]
---

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 08:53:32 AM »
[ooc][spoiler]We'll shift to the next morning when both of you are ready - Agnak might still want to do something.[/spoiler]

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 01:44:32 AM »
'Ha! Then I have nothing to complain about,' Agnak chuckled, thinking about the bounty of food awaiting him. 'Lead the way Corporal.'

'Sure thing, just follow me,' he said as he started off towards the domes, Agnak following behind.

[spoiler=OOC]I'm ready for tomorrow... or tonight if something happens.[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »
With a nod Devanar departed, and Lyrna moved off with the troop of guards into her own housing in Lundeth.

Maglu'glath and Agnak were lead into one of the domes. The large entrance gate that was let into one side of the dome facing the village center was shut, and only a small heavily barred man-door was open. Behind it to both sides was a guard station. The inside of the dome was a circular arrangement: A wide paved hallway led from the gate straight into the center of the dome, which was a wide open area and an apparent indoor market place. On the circumference were shops, a few entrance doors, and above them in a second layer apparently apartments with windows facing the market place. It was conceivable that at least the ground floor also housed appartments behind the front of the shops, due to the length of the radial hallway into the dome.
The ceiling was quite spectacularly covered with the apparent illusion of a clear blue evening sky, and there was even an illusory sun going down.
The sergeant grinned at the two guests.
'Yeah, someone paid a lot for this. This town is a fortress, but with amenities.'
He lead them across the open space towards what was apparently an Inn. It had to be noted that while the center of the dome was a market place, all doors facing it were rather heavy and had thick bolts on the inside. The Sergeant entered into the gloom of the Inn, and waved at the barkeep. The inn was fairly populated, since the impending curfew left the inhabitants of Lundeth locked indoors. The half-orc barkeep approached them, and the Sergeant adressed him.
'Aye, Grunbold, we be needin' two rooms for these here guests. Lodging and food are on us, drinks...' he added with a sidelong look at Agnak's bulk - and possible alcohol ingestion ability - '... are their own pleasure. They be working to unravel the mysteries of these strange times, so the Captain says to treat them well.'
The barkeep Grunbold nodded.
'Ye be carryin' no luggage? Never mind, never mind...  Iffn' ye be wantin' food I can bring it to yer rooms or ye cin haeve it herre. The bathouse, iffn ye need it, be across the yard, outside.'

The two were then left to their own devices by the Sergeant, and could spend the remainder of the evening as they wished. The rooms were on the ground floor in the back of the Inn, and not large by any standards (even though Agnak did get one with a larger bed). They obviously had no windows and were only candle-lit. Furnishing was basic, with a bed, a chest, and a chair and tiny table cramped into the small space.

Nothing happened for a long time, but it was quite impossible to tell just how long without the aid of an hourglass or some other means. The walls seemed thick and no sounds reached their ears. However, after what seemed like most of the night, there were knocks on each door.

It was Devanar, and he looked worried.
'I'd say good morning, normally, but I doubt it'll be good,' he said. 'The undead did not show, even though we waited all night. It's dawning now, so they won't come anymore, I guess. Instead, there's something else, and only the gods know why.' he frowned and broke off, and looked from one to the other.
'But whatever the reason, a thrice damned band of DEMONS is approaching the town.'

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 12:45:50 AM »
Agnak stopped carving pictures into the table with his talons and shot up from his under-sized chair. He reached over and snatched his guisarme off the wall beside him.

'Demons?'

Having kept his breastplate on, he quickly shuffled it around on his chest and checked the straps.  Satisfied, he stepped over to the doorway.

'Can't say I expected them, but I won't complain. Been too boring anyways.  How many are there? Will they let actually let me fight?

[spoiler=OOC]Not to say that I've been bored, but Agnak as a character has been itching for some kind of action.  :smirk[/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 03:41:16 AM »
"I assume you will be wanting our help then? How many are there? any tactical positions we should be aware of? Maglu'glath approached the situation very matter-of-factly. While these were not his people, he certainly knew a thing or two about defending one's home.

Agnak looked down at his diminutive, unarmed, and mostly naked comrade, "and perhaps a trip to the armory would be in order?"

Maglu'glath looked up at Devanar and the halfdragon and smiled a toothy (almost evil) grin. "Oh don't worry, I can handle myself just fine." After a brief pause for thought though, he adds "although if these demons have any particular vulnerabilities that you know of, perhaps equipping ourselves properly would be prudent"
---