Author Topic: Playtesting a house rule on injuries and health levels  (Read 1758 times)

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
Playtesting a house rule on injuries and health levels
« on: October 26, 2008, 11:13:09 AM »
As the name of the thread says, need some people to playtest a house rule I'm working on involving house rules and injuries to see if it works smoothly in play and if it seems simple enough/fast enough.

I have no life whatsoever, so I can respond almost as fast as I see posts.

Here's the basics required:

A 6th level Fighter, Barbarian, Swashbuckler, (Complete Warrior) Samurai, Paladin, or Ranger (no spells, please).  No magic items, nothing fancy. Noncombat skills, personality, or any other such thing optional, but please don't min-max to get the highest possible combat numbers. I want to see if this works with the kind of numbers you'd actually take one of those in as, but what you do outside combat can be as detailed or blank as you like.

30 point buy. Human, elf, dwarf, or half-orc. (planning on having special effects for Small characters which haven't been formed yet, so until that comes up, please don't submit any)

The basics of the rule: Everyone has 7 health levels, plus a 2-point "Unscathed" level. Each other level has 6 points in it. When you run out of points, you drop unconscious.

Called shots are in. -4 to hit the arm or leg. -8 to hit the head.

If you take a light injury (fail a Fort+armor by 5 or less), you lose 3 points. If you take a severe injury (fail by 6-10), you take -2 to use the area in question (see DMG for what this -2 involves) and lose 5 points. If you take a critical injury (fail by 11 or more) to a limb, you can't use it...one to the head gives a -6. You also lose 10 points. If you fail a DC 20 Fort save when hit in the head, you die.

DC is 13+half damage by dice + mods (so a longsword wielded by a guy with Strength 16 is DC 20)

If you are on your third health level, your speed is reduced by 2/3rds. On your fifth, it is halved.

Each day of light or no activity restores two points to your overall condition track and counts as a "day" for healing. Anything beyond that counts as only half a day for healing and restores 1 point.

A light injury takes four days to heal, a severe one takes seven days, and a critical takes two weeks. Half this if a healer treats you. So far, haven't worked out healing magic, so assume it doesn't exist.

That's the gist of it.

There's other stuff, but a lot of this is relatively unformed. What I want to test now is whether or not keeping track of "oh, I have a severe injury, that still is a pain even after I'm in full health otherwise." is more trouble than it is worth, and how in general it feels.

Any additional questions, either post here, PM me, IM me via MSN or AIM, or e-mail me.
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: Playtesting a house rule on injuries and health levels
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 01:28:39 PM »
Why even make this system? I dont really see how it`s any better than the standard one. If anything, take a look at Strato`s optional system. You can find it in Stratovarius`s collection over at When Inspiration Strikes. His version is not a complete rewrite, he just adds penalties for taking damage. Negative levels and such.

Also, regarding -8 to hit the head, that means anyone could just cast True Strike and one-shot whoever they want...
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:34:49 AM »
Because the standard one gives characters excessive amounts of hit points and "damage" and actual injury have absolutely no connection. And I'd rather have something where both your overall level of injury and your individual injuries matter.

As for True Strike: Yes, I know. That's why "no magic" is stated...any use of this would require adjusting what spells do and what spells are available.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 11:12:24 AM »
Well, good luck. But I still think Strato`s version is way superior to this.  ;) His couple of paragraphs can just be smacked right into the game without rewriting all the gish spells and developing a whole new system for damage in general... And it works pretty good. Playtesting it right now...
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 12:50:41 AM »
As you may or may not have noticed, I don't want something that fits into the game as written, because I don't think the game as written is a good something.

Thanks for mentioning Strato's ideas, I'll take a look and see if there's anything to inspire thought.