Author Topic: Re: Should there be a  (Read 1514 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Should there be a
« on: October 23, 2008, 03:56:49 AM »
Indeed, Andy and I have debated at times, and I may not have agreed with him at times, but we've never had flamewars or anything like that.

JaronK

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 04:07:54 AM »
Not directed at anyone in particular (don't edit AJ's post or anything, because I don't say things I don't mean), but generally it is bad form to post private messages in public*.  I do believe that someone actually posted a PM in the bitch all about it area (that was the name back then) and a mod stepped in and said to remove it.  My memory could be faulty though.  I don't remember what the exact thread was.

[spoiler]Common rules for e-mail[9] and USENET such as avoiding flamewars and spam are constant across most mediums and communities. Another rule is to avoid typing in ALL CAPS, which is considered shouting or yelling. Other commonly shared points, such as remembering that one's posts are (or can easily be made) public, are generally intuitively understood by publishers of web pages and posters to USENET, although this rule is somewhat flexible depending on the environment. On more private protocols, however, such as email and SMS, some users take the privacy of their posts for granted. One-on-one communications, such as private messages on chat forums and direct SMSes, may be considered more private than other such protocols, but infamous breaches surround even these relatively private media.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette
[/spoiler]

Just, for future reference.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 04:22:03 AM »
No, that's true.  A mod seeing PMs is fine, but PMs should not be posted to the main forums.  As to the content... no, you will never see PMs like that from me.  No matter who you are.  Ever.

JaronK

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 04:37:07 AM »
No, that's true.  A mod seeing PMs is fine, but PMs should not be posted to the main forums.  As to the content... no, you will never see PMs like that from me.  No matter who you are.  Ever.

JaronK
Personally, I feel that if you are that ashamed of a PM being leaked, then perhaps you should not have sent it. The idea of horrible PMs being held sacrosanct only encourages people to be utter dinks on PM in order to hurt someone while being protected by the idea that it is "bad manners" to post those PMs. If a guy was being a douche over PM, then I say that his behaviour should be exposed to the world to see.

That said, this thread is not the place for it. Jaron, if you wish to continue this, let's take it to PMs.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 10:45:12 AM »
I'm going to pull a Sinfire here.

Children, stop fucking fighting! Do I have to get the cluebat?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]