Author Topic: The Journeyman (Tweaked Factotum - Complete)  (Read 5926 times)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
The Journeyman (Tweaked Factotum - Complete)
« on: October 22, 2008, 07:06:48 AM »
The Journeyman
Who needs Bards, or Rogues, or... Facto-whats?

(Basically every ability has been tweaked/altered/changed from the original Factotum, so don't assume everything's the same. It isn't.)

HD: d8

Saves: One good, others poor

Lv  Base Attack    Special                          Spell Lv  Inspiration
1.  +0             Insightful Cunning, Trapfinding      -        3  (1)
2.  +1             Spellcasting Dilettante (1)          1        4  (1)
3.  +2             Brains over Brawn                    1        4  (1)
4.  +3             Spellcasting Dilettante (2)          2        5  (2)
5.  +3             Insightful Dodge                     2        5  (2)
6.  +4             Spellcasting Dilettante (3)          2        6  (2)
7.  +5             Insightful Breach                    3        6  (2)
8.  +6/+1          Spellcasting Dilettante (4)          3        7  (3)
9.  +6/+1          Insightful Mimicry                   3        7  (3)
10. +7/+2          Spellcasting Dilettante (5)          4        8  (3)
11. +8/+3          Insightful Surge                     4        8  (3)
12. +9/+4          Spellcasting Dilettante (6)          4        9  (3)
13. +9/+4          Mind over Matter                     5        9  (3)
14. +10/+5         Spellcasting Dilettante (7)          5        10 (4)
15. +11/+6/+1      Insightful Escape                    5        10 (4)
16. +12/+7/+2      Spellcasting Dilettante (8]          6        11 (4)
17. +12/+7/+2      Insightful Counter                   6        11 (4)
18. +13/+8/+3      Spellcasting Dilettante (9)          6        12 (4)
19. +14/+9/+4      Astonishing Brilliance               7        12 (4)
20. +15/+10/+5     Spellcasting Dilettante (10)         7        13 (5)

Class Skills (6+Int per level): All.

Proficiencies: All simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor, light and heavy shields (not Tower Shields).

Inspiration:* Journeymen draw upon a vast reserve of knowledge, lore, and intuition to fuel most of their abilities. This inspiration allows him to empower his and his allies' abilities, but also to imitate the abilities that others have mastered through intense practice and study. At the beginning of each encounter, or after five minutes, a Journeyman recovers up to the number of inspiration points as determined by his level (see table above). The first number is the number of inspiration available at the beginning of each encounter, or every five minutes. The second number in parentheses represents the Journeyman's ability to recover his inspiration. During any round, or once every minute, in which the Journeyman has not used any inspiration he regains inspiration points equal to the listed number.

*The Font of Inspiration feat is NOT available for use with the Journeyman.

Insightful Cunning: Journeymen are highly perceptive individuals, able to read any situation with adroit and subtle skill. Whenever you, or an ally within 15ft, make(s) an attack roll, damage roll, or skill check you may spend a inspiration points. If you do, for each point spent, add your intelligence bonus to the roll made. You may spend any number of inspiration points to augment a single roll adding your intelligence bonus multiple times if you wish, though you may only augment a single skill check per skill per day.

Trapfinding: Journeymen can use the Search skill to locate traps when the DC is higher than 20, and can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magical traps. A Journeyman who beats a trap's disarm DC by 10 with a Disable Device check has studied the device to such a degree that he can bypass the trap without disarming.

Spellcasting Dilletante: At 2nd level, the Journeyman has grasped a vague understanding of magical power. By spending inspiration points a Journeyman can cast arcane and divine spells which he has prepared. At 2nd level, a Journeyman can prepare a single 1st level spell. As he gains levels he can prepare more spells per day, and can cast higher level spells. The number in parentheses along with the Spellcasting Dilletante entry in the table above is the number of spells a Journeyman can prepare each day. The number in the Spell Lv column of the table is the level of spell the Journeyman can prepare for the day. Journeymen prepare spells from the Cleric list or from the Sorcerer/Wizard list. Journeymen can only prepare a given spell once each day. The save DCs of divine spells cast this way are determined by Wisdom, the save DCs of arcane spells cast this way are determined by Charisma. Journeymen do not gain bonus spells per day based on any ability score. Journeymen ignore the arcane spell failure of any armor they wear when casting arcane spells. Casting spells in this way costs a Journeyman inspiration points equal to 1/2 the spell's level (rounded up). For spells with durations a Journeyman cannot recover inspiration points spent to cast the spell until the duration is up, though he can dismiss the spell at any time as a free action.

Brains over Brawn: At 3rd level a Journeyman learns to trust in his mettle to win the day when the going gets tough. Choose any four strength and/or dexterity based checks or skill checks (Bull Rush, Grapple, Initiative, etc DO count, but attack rolls do NOT). You add your intelligence modifier to those checks.

Insightful Dodge: At 5th level, a Journeyman can draw upon his vast, unrefined knowledge to improve his or his allies' defenses. At any time you may spend an inspiration point to add your intelligence bonus to your, or an ally's within 15ft, AC or to a single saving throw made by you or an ally within 15ft. You can only improve AC or a save once, but you can use this ability any number of times each turn so long as you have the inspiration.

Insightful Breach: Starting at 7th level, a Journeyman's broad knowledge allows him to study opponents and gain a brief flash of clarity into their defenses. By spending 2 inspiration points you can grant yourself or a single ally within 30ft the ability to ignore a single enemy's spell resistance or damage reduction for 1 round.

Insightful Mimicry: At 9th level you are well on your way to becoming a true Jack of all Trades. After gaining this ability, each morning choose any three (Ex) abilities available to any base class at a level less than or equal to your Journeyman levels -2 other than the following: Maneuvers, Combat Feats, Spellcasting, or Inspiration. During the day you can gain the benefit of one of those chosen abilities for 1 round by spending 2 inspiration points.

Insightful Surge: At 11th level you call upon the wealth of your experience and knowledge to gain a burst of speed when it is needed the most. By spending 3 inspiration points you or an ally within 45ft can take an extra standard action during a round. You may only use this ability once per round but you may use it even when it isn't your turn.

Mind over Matter: At 13th level your extraordinary mental prowess combines with your adventurous spirit granting your body better than normal protection. Choose a single type of saving throw (Fort, Ref, or Will). From this point on you add your intelligence bonus to your AC and to all saving throws of the chosen type. You may continue to improve your AC or saves with your Insightful Dodge ability.

Insightful Escape: At 15th level you build upon your elusive defenses with your further experience and knowledge. Once per round, when you are attacked or are the target of, or are within the area of, a spell or ability you may spend 3 inspiration points to ignore the effects entirely.

Insightful Counter: At 17th level your experience and intuitive understanding allow you to undo the attacks and spells of your foes. Whenever an enemy within 60ft uses any action you may spend 4 inspiration points. If you do, you and the enemy make opposed level checks (1d20+HD). You add your intelligence modifier and the enemy adds it's highest ability modifier. If you win the opposed check the enemy's action fails. You can activate this ability multiple times against a single action, even after failing once.

Astonishing Brilliance: At 19th level you have become the ultimate Jack of all Trades. Each morning when you choose (Ex) abilities as per your Insightful Mimicry ability you can choose up to six abilities and you can choose any abilities possessed by creatures whose HD does not exceed your Journeyman level -2. You use any such abilities as if you were such a creature with HD equal to your Journeyman levels.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:09:01 PM by bkdubs123 »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: The Journeyman (Factotum tweak - Teaser)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 10:07:15 AM »
Well, this is an interesting read.  Sadly, I don't own Dungeonscape or Cityscape (I don't remember which one the factorum is in), so I only have a cursury knowledge about the class and inspiration.  So, I won't be able to say anything one way or the other about the balance of the class.  Still, I'm looking forward to reading the thread.

Something I am curious about: what are you thinking about the Sneak Attack feats you mentioned at the begining of your post?  I'm wondering how you're planning to handle this.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 08:03:52 PM »
Something I am curious about: what are you thinking about the Sneak Attack feats you mentioned at the begining of your post?  I'm wondering how you're planning to handle this.
Well, the generic classes in Unearthed Arcana have a sneak attack chain of feats you can choose as bonus feats.

Sneak Attack (Ex)
As the rogue ability, but +2d6 on damage rolls. Prerequisites: Hide 4 ranks, Move Silently 4 ranks.

Improved Sneak Attack (Ex)
Add +3d6 to your sneak attack damage. Prerequisites: Hide 11 ranks, Move Silently 11 ranks, sneak attack.

Greater Sneak Attack (Ex)
Add +4d6 to your sneak attack damage. Prerequisites: Hide 18 ranks, Move Silently 18 ranks, sneak attack, improved sneak attack.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 08:14:51 PM »
Well, the generic classes in Unearthed Arcana have a sneak attack chain of feats you can choose as bonus feats.

Sneak Attack (Ex)
As the rogue ability, but +2d6 on damage rolls. Prerequisites: Hide 4 ranks, Move Silently 4 ranks.

Improved Sneak Attack (Ex)
Add +3d6 to your sneak attack damage. Prerequisites: Hide 11 ranks, Move Silently 11 ranks, sneak attack.

Greater Sneak Attack (Ex)
Add +4d6 to your sneak attack damage. Prerequisites: Hide 18 ranks, Move Silently 18 ranks, sneak attack, improved sneak attack.

This is certainly along the same vein, but not exactly what I had in mind. More like...

Sneak Attack
Prerequisites: Stealth 4 ranks
Benefit: As long as you move undetected by any creatures you can sneak up and drop foes with a single blow. When attacking creatures unaware of your presence who are flat-footed you gain a +4 bonus to the attack roll and deal +2d6 damage.
Special: Against foes immune to critical hits, or with otherwise indiscernable anatomies, you gain only a +2 to hit, and deal only +1d6 damage.

Improved Sneak Attack
Prerequisites: Sneak Attack, Stealth 6 ranks
Benefit: As long as you move undetected by any creatures you can sneak up and drop foes with a single blow. When attacking creatures unaware of your presence who are flat-footed you do not need to make an attack roll. Treat your attack as a coup de grace. You must make another Stealth check as part of the attack to see if you keep yourself and your victim quiet.
Special: Against foes immune to critical hits, or with otherwise indiscernable anatomies, you gain only a +4 to hit, and deal only +2d6 damage. You do not treat the attack as a coup de grace.

Greater Sneak Attack
Prerequisites: Sneak Attack, Improved Sneak Attack, Bluff 9 ranks, Stealth 9 ranks
Benefit: You can use your Sneak Attack to attack any foe you are flanking or who is flat-footed, even while being observed, to deal an extra 4d6 damage.
Special: Against foes immune to critical hits, or with otherwise indiscernable anatomies, you deal only +2d6 damage.

Things like that, move from there.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:19:55 PM by bkdubs123 »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 08:19:17 PM »
Improved Sneak Attack
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus, Stealth 6 ranks
Benefit: As long as you move undetected by any creatures you can sneak up and drop foes with a single blow. When attacking creatures unaware of your presence who are flat-footed you do not need to make an attack roll. Treat your attack as a coup de grace. You must make another Stealth check as part of the attack to see if you keep yourself and your victim quiet.
I'd say it seems like a bit much, but I guess if you catch someone unaware, you have a lot of latitude with what you can do to them.  Still, this is pretty potent for a 3rd level feat.

Perhaps something more along the lines of Death Attack, but with a less sucky DC.  Sorry if I'm derailing your thread.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 08:22:29 PM »
Well, even if it were just Death Attack it would just be a save or die, which is all coup de grace is just with a heap of damage added. It just happens right now instead of waiting two turns to set it up. I changed the requirements around though, and added rules for using it against undead and constructs.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 08:48:19 PM »
It looks like a powered up Factotum, which is a bit of overkill.  I mean, that's a heck of a lot of spell options available to them.  What's wrong with the original Factotum that you felt needed such powering up?

JaronK

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 08:56:36 PM »
I'm not sure it's all that powered up. Certainly upgraded. I didn't like how the class was built so I opted to simplify and structure the level progression. You'll note that Cunning Brilliance is now harder to use, and once I have a full re-write completed it will ban the players from copying abilities such as Spellcasting (Ex), or Combat Feats (Ex) (the new Feat Preparation system I'm using).

What do you think of the way I've tweaked Inspiration. You have a lot more experience with the class than I do, JaronK, so I was hoping to get your input.

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 04:22:20 AM »
It looks like a powered up Factotum, which is a bit of overkill.  I mean, that's a heck of a lot of spell options available to them.  What's wrong with the original Factotum that you felt needed such powering up?

JaronK

Pfffff ff ff ffff

Factotum is asstastic.
This, not.

I suggest against using the Inspiration Points mechanic though. Whatever does work, I don't know what to suggest, but I've seen some bad things happen with IP.

Also, shouldn't Insightful Counter be better than Insightful Escape? I mean, if you counter a spell the whole party survives but if you escape it the area will still hurt your friends .

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 04:30:36 AM »
I keep going back and forth on counter/escape. There's going to be a dispel check of some sort involved with Insightful Counter. Insightful Escape however is just a matter of spending 4 IP and you automatically evade. I'm sticking with IP mechanic, at least for now, because I happen to like it, but if anyone can provide real scary reasons I should avoid it, or can provide a decent alternative I'd listen.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 05:09:01 AM »
Because Cunning Insight and Insightful Dodge cost 1IP, and because 1st and 2nd level spells cost 1 IP?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 05:38:14 AM »
Give an IP discount at later levels, and get the 1st level spells for free later on then.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 05:45:26 AM »
Give an IP discount at later levels, and get the 1st level spells for free later on then.

Well, hopefully soon this Journeyman will be tweaked yet again and won't be worrying about spell levels (once I get around to doing away with them).

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 05:52:47 AM »

That's what I did in my Versumage with Mana.
As a character gains levels and spells the old (sometimes useless) ones become free to use.

The Mana cost is equal to the level of the spell cast, but at least 3 times they get a -1 discount to that cost.
By the later levels SL7 spells only cost 4 mana, not 7, and everything up to SL3 is free.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: The Journeyman (Tweaked Factotum - Complete)
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 02:25:29 AM »
Okay, this class is actually finished with actual rules. Almost everything was tweaked in some way so don't assume that things operate the same as they did as when the Factotum used a similar ability.