Author Topic: Altea: A New Town  (Read 30791 times)

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
Re: Altea: A New Town
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2008, 08:15:25 PM »
[spoiler=Recap Time!]When we last left our adventurers, they had just discovered that not only was their Dragonborn companion missing, but they had missed an opportunity to meet with Steven, a warlord of some renown.
The short-handed group decides that crying over spilt milk isn't the best course of action and go out into the quickly falling dusk to find their comrade.

Darius and Doriavan manage to lead the group to where they had previously found traces of Skarrandar and started following a set of tracks down a path.
Not far in, most of the group were ambushed by bandits, who led them to their encampment, where they found Skarrandar.
There, they discovered Skarrandar, who was being held by the same group.  The bandit's leader came out to address the new capturees, when Carric (hiding in the trees nearby) realized that the bandit's leader was Steven.
The Apostles of Forever debated with Steven for a while, and attempted to convince him to help out the nearby town of Almark.
Eventually, and with the liberal use of flattery, Steven was convinced and allowed the group to leave.

Later, when addressing strategy, Steven revealed to the group that there were some old sewers under the city of Eldin.
As fair return for his own services over an extended period, he requested that the Apostles of Forever join him in exploring the area and ridding whatever monstrosities lived down there.

It was a good thing Steven brought the group, because even together, they had some trouble overcoming some of the obstacles placed in their way in that awful sewer.  When they had killed the last enemy at the end of the line, they found themselves faced with a decision.  In front of them stood a comicly large sliding switch.

The Apostles threw the switch and found themselves in a new, more rotate-y, sewer system.
They waited out the rotational motion, and when they emerged from the dank tubes, they found themselves faced with a seemingly alien city.
Eldin had been transformed, and now stood as a behemoth of a town, with not nearly enough people to fill it.[/spoiler]

Darius Stronghand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Professor Oak can effin' Die
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2008, 01:17:08 AM »
Darius pens down a note, and gives it to a Pelorian priest, asking that it be delivered to Rohan.  Darius then crashes for the night.

[spoiler]

Dear Rohan:

I hope this letter finds you well, and that no one was injured with the rise of New Eldin.  My friends and I are soon to depart back to Almark, to try and help them in their time of need.  I ask for one more meeting with you, at tomorrow's sunrise, in the top of the new addition to your temple. 

I hope to see you there

--Darius

[/spoiler]
As far as clerics go... he's gonna be the very best, like no one ever was

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2008, 10:27:15 PM »
[spoiler=Darius]The servant promises to deliver the letter personally.[/spoiler]

As the day winds down, everyone seems to be looking for the remnants of their old housing, or claiming new places to stay.

Doriavan: After looking through that book, you manage to find a couple of passages that reference a large set of ruins discovered in this area under the reign of the  dragonborn at Arkhosia.

Everyone else:
As you head to Rohan's cottage for the night, you discover that it is buried in the detritus that was unearthed by the rising of the wall.

Darius Stronghand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Professor Oak can effin' Die
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2008, 10:43:41 PM »
"Well... that's less than ideal. 
We should probably find a room at an inn, assuming there are rooms left."
As far as clerics go... he's gonna be the very best, like no one ever was

Huggles

« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2008, 04:24:26 AM »
AND Assuming there are inns left.

ymir

« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2008, 01:06:10 PM »
"Well, I know of a fairly large building which was unoccupied last I saw... It was once a banquet hall, I think. ...We should probably let Rohan know what happened, too, if he hasn't found out, yet. It wouldn't be a nice surprise for him."

atrocity05

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2008, 11:44:27 AM »
[spoiler] Sorry, bit confused about what exactly I found...[/spoiler]

"You're right, we probably should find some housing.  Also I had an idea that may be good for Almark..." Doriavan says, trailing off at the end.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:27:15 PM by atrocity05 »

ymir

« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2008, 12:29:42 PM »
Carric, who had been leading the party to the large building he had found earlier, pauses at this and turns, gesturing for the wizard to continue.

[spoiler]I know you don't know what you found yet, just fill it in whenever Dan explains it to you, if he does :P

Also, Dan: I'm leading them to the big-ass building I found earlier, and told Rohan about. And then I'm going to tell Rohan about his house. Also... where's Meepo? Was he killed in the "uprising"?[/spoiler]

atrocity05

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2008, 12:34:14 PM »
"What if we tried to convince Almark to relocate to here.  It seems like it may hold up better than almark with the addition of these walls..."

Huggles

« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2008, 12:37:38 PM »
Telchar thinks for a moment. But could we get the whole town over 'ere with an invasion imminent? I doubt they'd be so kind as ta let the citizens o' Almark just pack their bags and leave fer a well-fortified citadel. It's a good idea, if we can pull it off.

ymir

« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2008, 12:43:27 PM »
Carric nods thoughtfully, Agreed, and the added man-power would help with both the defense, and reconstruction... But we also have to take into consideration that many people there have lived there for their entire lives, so they'd be giving up their memories, as well. It's an idea to pose to the council, at any rate. We should talk to Edlen's council first, though, since offering it as a suggestion when it might not be acceptable would be... cruel. With that, he turns and gestures for the party to continue to follow him to the abandoned banquet hall.

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2008, 07:06:01 PM »
[spoiler=Doriavan]Basically, you found out that the book supports the idea that a big empire used to be here.  It was already in ruins when the giant dragonborn empire was in power.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Carric]Meepo was with you guys underground.
Also:
It's an idea to pose to the council, at any rate.
Almark has no council.  The authority of the town rests with the town speaker, Tobias.
Also, you don't actually know anything about the government here in Almark.  You're sure that there is on, you just don't know who runs it, or how it is run.[/spoiler]

Carric leads the group over to the big building that he mentioned beforehand.

Anyone who cares can roll dungeoneering.

The building is as big as Carric described it.  Inside, you find piles of rotting wood remains, amongst the dust and the other detritus.
It might not be the cleanest place you've ever been, but it looks solid enough as a building.

ymir

« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2008, 02:56:58 AM »
Well, here it is... it's not the best kept of places, for obvious reasons, but it should more than satisfy our needs. If nobody has any objections, I'm going to go find Rohan to let him know where we are, so he doesn't worry, and inform him of the tragedy which befell his house. It'd also give us a chance to find out exactly who we would have to seek permission from for Doriavan's suggestion. Anyone who'd like to join me is welcome to, of course.

Carric heads to the door, waiting for a moment to see if anyone is going to join him.

[spoiler]Dungeoneering: 1d20 2=5
I'll wait a few seconds to see if anyone is interested in joining me, if not, I'll head out to find Rohan.
Streetwise (to find Rohan): 1d20 3=22 -- I'm guessing he's still at the new "temple" but I figure it'd be safer to ask around to see... he's a very familiar face, so it'd be easy to find someone who'd seen him recently, I think?[/spoiler]

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2008, 12:09:25 AM »
[spoiler=It's that time again]It's everyone's favorite: Recap Time!!! :jumping
When we last left our heroes they had just entered the building they would soon discover was once an ancient library; now passed beyond even ancient.  Though the rank, foul odor of the area could offend even the most staunch noses, the Apostles set out to renew the place, to make it, if nothing else, livable; useful.
After laboring the day away, they were awoken by an insistent bell-ringing.  The gathering that followed found them drafted into more housecleaning, but the Apostles demonstrated their acquiescent nature, and assisted the townsfolk in their city-wide efforts.
At midday, the group was dissolved, and the Apostles of Forever went back to chores and activities of their own choosing.

They discovered soon that the new, ancient city of Eldin was being organized and locations being allocated purposes.  A few of the group joined the lopsided discussion being raised by the leaders of the town.
In this meeting, they discover that Rohan, a growing friend of theirs, has been allocated a lot unfit for a person of his dignity and prominence.  In a well-fought argument, they convince their temporary ally Steven, to alter the forming layout to better accommodate the benign old man.

It was a peaceful few days, in the rapidly advancing town, but change must occur, even when change is the norm.
The Apostles set out for Almark with Steven in tow, and spent a hasty three days on the trail.
Upon arriving, they first delivered a promise to the bartender, Willy, then moved onward into town to speak with the speaker.
En route, they encountered Gunther of the guard, who demanded that Carric accompany him to the stockade.  Carric, wishing to avoid confrontation in a town he enjoys, went without provocation.
As part of the group hurried to catch up, another part negotiated a very uneasy peace between reunited comrades as Steven and Tobias are reacquainted.
Within the jail, criminal proceedings are cut short by a relatively astonishing admission.  Carric, to expedite his freedom and assist in the town's preparation for battle, demonstrates that he is a shapechanger, and not of elven heritage.

As days pass, the Apostles assist Almark in whatever ways they are able; laying traps, bolstering defenses, reconnaissance missions, and (potentially most vital) ensuring that the two "tigers on the mountain" don't rip each other to shreds.

As the final days before the encroaching battle pass, there is less and less to do.  Some of the Apostles get antsy, ready to fight and prove themselves, others become, not morose, but calm, prepared.  One inundates the feelings in beer and stout dwarven ale.  But as the last peaceful night winds down, no one is immune to the disquieting calm that settles over the town, ready for battle and prepared for the worst.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'd appreciate it if you would update your mythweaver character sheets to reflect your current standing.
Unless you've been particularly vigilant, I'm pretty sure you need to take off (we'll say...) 4 rations for travel (food in town is basically free for you guys).  However, you have the option to restock in Almark.

Everyone's level 4, so Telchar needs to level up...
Jamie, I don't want to force you, but it makes it much easier for me if you have a copy of your sheet online.
I recommend mythweavers (obviously).  It's free and fairly easy to use, but if you want to type up a quick text version with skills and stuff, you can find a more permanent solution later.[/spoiler]

Everyone:
Something about this night bothers you.  It could be nerves, anxiousness, the three quarts of beer, but you aren't able to sleep soundly.
After a time of being just asleep enough not to move, a weary exhaustion takes over and you fall into a deep slumber.

Sometime early in the morning, you are awakened by a small symphony of birds.  You hear singing, warbling, chirruping, and whistling.
You lie for a second, appreciating the sound for a moment, then you realize something is wrong.

ymir

« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2008, 12:14:17 AM »
[spoiler]Perception: 1d20 8=19
Insight: 1d20 10=11[/spoiler]

Carric awakens and sits up, looking about. "...Hello?..."

[spoiler]If there's no answer, I'm going to search around, can I take a 20 on perception to examine my surroundings if that's the case?[/spoiler]

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:29:36 PM by ymir »

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2008, 11:55:53 PM »
Your sense that something is amiss jolts you back to consciousness.  Even before you open your eyes, you smell moist topsoil under you and you can feel your face in the grass.

You sit up rapidly and move into a crouching position and reach to pull a dagger, but you don't find it.  None of your daggers seem to be in the correct positions.
Taking a moment to think, you look around and find most of your possessions tied to vines, hanging from a nearby tree.

Your daggers, your garments, your armor, and your belt with your shuriken are all there, but your pack and everything else seems to be gone.
You don your ensemble, and look around once more, assessing the surrounding environment.

You appear to be in the middle of a forest gone wild.  The trees here are substantially larger than ones you are familiar with, and they support a myriad vine network.  The huge trees provide plenty of shade, but they don't seem to be able to keep underbrush from springing up everywhere.

You don't see an obvious direction to go, and aren't sure if going anywhere is advisable.
[spoiler]The Nature skill might be able to help you.[/spoiler]

ymir

« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2008, 11:59:16 PM »
"...This is most certainly not my room..." he says, before attempting to discern his location, looking about.
[spoiler]Nature: 1d20 3=16
Would my passive perception pick up any tracks which lead up to where I was? Or would the underbrush have covered it up, already? (springy grass, ferns etc)[/spoiler]

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2008, 12:07:53 AM »
Your disjointed experiences in the wild have taught you a little bit and you are pretty sure that this has to be one of the prolific areas of land in all the world.  To be able to support this level of growth would require very rich soil.

You see no tracks to or from your immediate surroundings, but when you look where you were lying, you're certain that you were out for a couple of hours at least.

ymir

« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2008, 12:15:35 AM »
Carric walks to the nearest tree, and using the vines hanging from it, attempts to ascend in hopes of a better view.
[spoiler]Atheltics: 1d20 3=23 (Huzzah!)[/spoiler]

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2008, 12:27:45 AM »
You grab onto a couple of vines and start hauling yourself up.  The sharp snap and crackle of small branches and twigs echoes off of nearby trees and coincides with the vines' short and sudden drop under your weight.  After seconds of utter stillness you determine that the vines are most likely resting on branches that can hold you, and you continue your ascent.

From a vantage point about midway up the tree, you find that the view is, indeed, much clearer.
Splotches of sunlight dot the ground below you, illuminating the underbrush that continues off in many directions.
To one side, in the distance, you notice that there don't appear to be any vines on the trees, and you suspect that the forest thins in that direction, making for easier travel.
Nearby, you notice several other small clearings similar to your own, with flesh-colored lumps lying in the middle of them.
You immediately recognize these people as your companions.  They are either sleeping or dead.