Author Topic: Altea: A New Town  (Read 30790 times)

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
Altea: A New Town
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:33:14 PM »
After the Apostles of Forever defeated the zombies, they realized that the only place left unsearched was the cavernous area around the underground river.
While exploring the chasm, they ran into a small pack of drakes that didn't take kindly to intrusion and a young white dragon, who had claimed the caverns as his own.
After some quick thinking, and some hauling of carcasses, they convinced the dragon that they meant no harm and that they would leave him in peace.
While exploring the rest of the cavern, part of the group realized that the dragon might be grateful for the warning of an approaching army, and might be a good source of information about the enigmatic Jaedrus.
A couple of gems later, they emerge from the underground with little information, but many more problems.

The Apostles talk to Tobias Swift about the threatening band of goblins and try to discern some ways to fortify the town.
Tobias informs them that if Almark is to weather the attack, they will need more soldiers, more stone, another cleric, and probably a miracle.
They learn that there is a town a few days away that might be able to help Almark survive.

Before they set out, Willy the Bartender tells them about a talented leader that once adventured with him by the name of Steven.  Willy is sure that having Steven here for the battle would tip the odds in favor of the town more than anything else.
The barkeep also requested that the Apostles also try to find a new beverage for his bar in the other town.
Meepo also tries to contribute by telling the group about his former chief.  Meepo claims that the chief knew all sorts of secrets about the forest and the nearby area that might be useful to Almark.
However, the chief left before the villiage was destroyed to search for Arkhosia, which is somewhere to the north.

The Apostles of Forever set out with their new information and find the town of Eldin without much problem.
After some research, they find that Steven wanders in and out of the town at will and at random, so tracking him down may be difficult.
They also discover a temple to Pelor with a fantastic speaker by the name of Rohan.
In an effort to kill multiple birds with one stone, Darius makes a wager with a bartender.  If Darius can coax Rohan into a fight, he wins the recipe to the second most famous drink in Eldin.

Currently, the heroes have reconvened at the center of town to discuss what they've found and find lodging for the night.

Doriavan is the last to arrive at the meeting place, and sees the rest of the Apostles of Forever standing around throwing out ideas for Darius's wager, Meepo interjecting every minute or so to throw out a particularly ludicrous one.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:32:36 PM by Dan2 »

Darius Stronghand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Professor Oak can effin' Die
    • Email
Re: Altea: A New Town
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 12:16:26 AM »
"...So it doesn't seem like this guy is going to volunteer for this bout without some coaxing.  Well Carric, you heard him talk for some time... any idea of a bargaining chip, something to convince him to accept such a challenge?"
As far as clerics go... he's gonna be the very best, like no one ever was

ymir

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 12:49:53 AM »
"Hrm, he seems sincere in his desire to help the masses... maybe if we created a fight for charity? The premise is this: the two of you would duel, and the funds generated by the paying spectators would go to the charity of the winner's choice - likely a temple, orphanage, or some other such cause, and it can be 'sponsored,' if you will, by the bar, also. That way, they get free advertising out of it, not to mention any coin that is be spent on food and drink, as they would be providing it for any interested.

"That way, you would get your duel, a charity would be helped - possibly to a significant degree, given his popularity among these folk, and Willy would get that recipe, as well. Not to mention, your popularity would sky-rocket as a result... You'd be 'the cleric who fought Rohan for the orphans!' Yes, that should work quite nicely..."

Darius Stronghand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 01:21:56 AM »
"The barkeep doesn't seem to be hurting for business.  I proposed a similar idea to him, and he didn't seem very eager to sponsor such a fight.  It doesn't seem like he's hurting for business. 

A pure fight for charity, though... that's not a bad idea.  Surely he can think of a use for charitable donations... It sounds like a good idea.  Let's be clear, though... I'm not trying to win a popularity contest with the residents of this town.  There's only one contest I'm striving to win, and it's the one in question.

Any other suggestions?"
  Darius glances around the party.

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 01:27:26 AM »
Meepo, who has been playing with his quill while everyone speaks, suddenly gets excited.
Ooh Ooh!  Maybe... wait... What did angry sneaky elf say?
Meepo begins scratching his head with his quill, leaving very silly-looking black lines all across his scalp.

Darius Stronghand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 01:39:23 AM »
"Any other MEANINGFUL suggestions?"  Darius shoots a glare at Meepo.

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 05:57:32 PM »
Meepo looks hurt for a couple of seconds, then takes out one of Garin's apples and starts playing with it.

atrocity05

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 05:59:42 PM »
Doriavan gives Meepo a cookie to hopefully calm him down and keep him quiet for a bit.

"Why don't you promise to worship Perlor should you lose?  I mean, if he's preaching the word, he may be looking for another strong cleric of pelor... However, maybe we should discuss this while looking for a place to stay the night.  You know, I wouldn't mind asking a special cleric to lend us some lodging for the night.  It would at least give us a chance to meet him in person hopefully."
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:02:57 PM by atrocity05 »

Darius Stronghand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 10:47:07 PM »
"As much as I wish to fight this man, I can think of someone who might find flaw with this plan."  Darius taps at his holy symbol on his chest.  "I'm not naive enough to think there is not a chance of losing this battle.  After all, I've been beaten in this manner before.  There is a risk of losing, and I won't go back on a wager.  It's like my mentor used to say: 'Don't bet something you aren't willing to lose.'"

Turning to Doriavan, he continues.  "But you do have a point.  Talking to him might reveal more information, and guide us toward accomodations for the night.  If everyone's ready, lead on, Carric."

ymir

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 11:33:21 PM »
"I'm ready if everyone else is. He should still be addressing the crowd outside the temple of Pelor." Once everyone is ready, Carric proceeds in the direction of the temple.

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 01:15:12 AM »
Carric swiftly leads you over to the Temple of Pelor, where you see a very large crowd just starting to dwindle away.
The rogue points out Rohan, but it wasn't necessary, as the elderly speaker is already clearly differentiated from the rest of the clerics and monks.

You can easily see that Rohan is not a very large man, but he has a presence that seems to demand respect from those around him.
His silver hair stands in contrast to the gold and maroon robes he wears and the sun symbol on his chest seems to glow, even in the dying light of the afternoon.

Even without knowing him, you can tell that this man is a major personality of Eldin.

Darius Stronghand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 10:58:37 AM »
"Well, you're right... doesn't look like much of a warrior," says Darius.  "Say, maybe we shouldn't open up with my offer.  If we set him at odds with us from the start, he may not be as inclined to help us find Stephen... or even a bed.  Will someone else talk with him first?"  He glances around the party, in particular at Doriavan, Skarr, and Carric.

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 04:32:21 PM »
Most of the servants at the Temple of Pelor are busy dispersing the crowd when Rohan takes notice of your group and starts to walk over.

When he arrives, he flashes a big smile and says, Blessed Evening to you gentlemen!  I suspect you are adventurers, new to the town, right?  I am Rohan, high proselytizer for the Temple of Pelor, and it is a pleasure to greet you into our town.  What can I do for you?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:35:28 PM by Dan2 »

ymir

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 02:12:56 AM »
Carric bows before the elderly cleric, He gestures at each member of the party as he introduces them to Rohan. Pausing for a moment, he realizes something. "Ah, and this is Meepo."

Once introductions are complete, he relaxes his stance, standing upright, "We are, as you identified us, adventurers... We are on a quest from Allmark, to the North. Upon pursuit of a treacherous cleric, Jaedrus - a drow conspirator - we discovered that undead have begun to... rise in a series of tunnels below the town, and some have already ventured out. To compound matters, a reasonable contingent of goblins, hobgoblins and bugbear were also in the tunnels, though we have them at bay for now, thanks to an orchestrated cave-in. But we're not sure how long it will take them to breach that, and then it is only a matter of time until the group finds the town..." Carric trails off for a moment. "We were sent to find any who were able to lend aid. After our trek, though, we are admittedly a little weary, and were wondering if there were a place we could find room and board for the evening so we may begin our search anew in the morn." With this, Carric bows once more and takes a step back, moving in-line with the group.

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 03:35:50 PM »
[spoiler]Almark, one 'l'.  Not that you'll ever really need to know.[/spoiler]

As Carric gestures to each person, Rohan makes a quick bow to that person... including Meepo.
That's quite a story you have there.  I think I'll be able to help you, at least with the rooming situation.  Please, follow me.

Rohan begins to lead you through the darkening town toward the surrounding forest.  For a moment, it seems as though you are going to leave the town, but at the last line of houses, he turns and ushers you into a small, dark cottage.

Once you are all inside, Rohan enters and closes the door, briefly plunging the room into darkness.  You hear the crack of a sunrod, and then there is light again.
From the ornamentation inside the cottage, you are pretty sure that this is where Rohan lives.  Symbols to the sun god can be found everywhere, and they manage to magnify the effect of the sunrod to light the entire room.
The cottage seems bigger from the inside than it did from the outside, which is odd, considering how cluttered it looks.

Rohan sweeps a hand around, gesturing around the room, and says, This is it.  This is my home.  It's not much, but you are welcome to stay here for tonight.
He moves over to a doorway on the left.
This is my library.  I'm afraid only a dedicated acolyte to Pelor could find entertaining reading in there, he says, looking at Doriavan.
Over here, he gestures to the other doorway, on the right, is the living area and kitchen.  I haven't got enough room for everyone, so two of you can sleep in my room, and the other four will have to make due out here, he gestures once more to the room you are standing in.

[spoiler]I can't decide if I like the gold text.  Depending on what monitor I sit at, it's either too bright to read well, or ust perfect for the color I'm going for.  Let me know if you can read it well enough.[/spoiler]

Darius Stronghand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 05:49:13 PM »
Whenever it looks like things are wrapping up for the night, Darius will approach the priest in a very quiet manner, off to the side.

"Excuse me sir... I have a rather -unique- request of you.  It wasn't long since our entrance into this town when I heard of your inspirational words, and the crowds of people that gravitated toward it.  Your impassioned, meaningful message of Pelor resonated within them, and must have struck a chord within their hearts, as many as attended.

I bring this up because now, in my eyes, you've shown yourself to be above and beyond the normal Fold.  You clearly are of a higher calibur... a guide, a paragon... a leader to those around you.  It is because of that redeeming quality that I have to make this request:

As my friend mentioned, I'm a servant of Kord.  My life's work is done to exalt his tenents, namely those of strength, and personal vigor.  It is by this charge that I make my request, sir.  Sir Rohan, it is my wish to challenge you to a fight of honor, until one of us is knocked out.  I would be most grateful if you'd accept my request, sir."
    Darius looks on, stoic yet hopeful.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 05:50:50 PM by Darius Stronghand »

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 06:02:40 PM »
Rohan reveals a quiet smile and says, Ah, yes I've seen your like before.  Courageous and strong, but often have a weakness for glory.  I am no fighter brave Stronghand.  I shun conflict to further the work of Pelor.  Your god would find little favor in your beating of an old man, methinks.
He gives a quick wink and starts to move off toward his room.

Darius Stronghand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 10:57:32 PM »
"What if accepting the bout was furthering the work of Pelor?"  Darius smiles, raising his eyebrows.

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 10:11:45 AM »
Rohan chuckles a bit.
There'll be time for nonsense talk in the morning.  Right now, I'm ready to sleep.  Pelor watch over you this night.

Darius Stronghand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 01:08:13 PM »
Darius uses his Daily Attack

...Very well then.  We'll talk about this tomorrow.  Kord keep you strong.  Darius bows, and turns back to the others.  "Thought I'd try the blunt approach.  It was... less than successful." 

"Maybe we should call it a night.  We'll be clearer-minded tomorrow, and can try some leads on finding Stephen."

Darius starts unfurling his bedroll in the large room.