Author Topic: What to do if 4e ultimately bombs?  (Read 9655 times)

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
Re: What to do if 4e ultimately bombs?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 05:56:09 AM »
Personally, i like D20 Modern, and i've heard great things about Star Wars Saga Edition...
+1

d20 Modern is great because you only really need the single core book to run it.  It was made during the development sequence between 3e and 3.5, so it'll be REALLY familiar rules-wise.  Beyond that, the rules are so modular-feeling that you can house rule it to suit different types of settings with little difficulty.  The core book comes with 3 suggested settings (Shadow Chasers - horror monsters invade earth a la Supernatural/Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Resident Evil/etc...  There's a psionics-based setting, and Urban Arcana - D&D meets the modern world).

I'm also currently running a Star Wars Saga Edition game, and it's great.  It's a mid-way step between 3.x and 4e rules.  Characters are extremely customizeable, and the few classes are generic enough that you could easily have half the party use the same class and still be a completely different character archetype.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

AngelBlade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 03:44:14 PM »
The splat books for D20 Modern are pretty good too. I like D20 Past, it has some good stuff, like a Sorcerer Basic Class and a Shaman Basic Class as well. Urban Arcana has some good 'magic' stuff as well if you want to add it in, although you have to be careful with some of the classes in it.

AngelBlade

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 10:57:37 PM »
...WoD isn't really all that bad. It's just that many of the players and STs tend to ruin it with their overly angsty/gothdumb (yes, I spelled that exactly as I meant to) routine. I've actually used the Storyteller system for more settings than just WoD, with a little tweaking.
I adapted it to Classic Battletech...

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 01:28:08 AM »
Holy... How???

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 05:54:44 AM »
The splat books for D20 Modern are pretty good too. I like D20 Past, it has some good stuff, like a Sorcerer Basic Class and a Shaman Basic Class as well. Urban Arcana has some good 'magic' stuff as well if you want to add it in, although you have to be careful with some of the classes in it.

AngelBlade

Yeah, most of them are really good.  d20 Apocalypse's only flaw is despite the amazingly well developed content, there just simply should be more!
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 06:57:32 AM »
Holy... How???
I used the dot system for Mechwarrior development. Split up the various 'Mech weapons into categories and the piloting and jumping into different weight classes. Put familiarity with individual 'Mechs as two-dot categories. I also had a list of personal combat skills (rifles, handguns, bows, etc.) and used many of the skills associated with WoD's Mage and Vampire (Alertness, Diplomacy, etc.).

Translating from the WoD system to Mech combat was simple. You start with base 4 as per normal, then you apply all bonus and penalties. Each dot in the category corresponds to a bonus of 1. If you are totally unfamiliar with the 'Mech, you had an automatic 2 point penalty to everything (hence the two-dot system for familiarity). So if you have 3 dots in SRMs and there are no other penalties or bonuses, but you are unfamiliar with the 'Mech, then you hit on a 3+ (4-3+2).

Out of Mech combat used the WoD combat and wounds system. For example, 3 dots in Dex + 4 dot in rifles = 7 d10 rolls (usually vs DC 6). Then the defender makes a defence roll, which usually equal to the armour rating of a given armour (e.g., he had a flak vest on with AR 2, then he made 2 d10 rolls vs DC 5). Damage = number of your success - enemy's successes on his armour rating roll.

Initiative is rolled via Dex + Perception + d10 every round.

Other non-combat skills are as per WoD's success system.

The system basically awards Mechwarriors who stick to a single chassis type as you will tend to have higher gunnery using all its weapons, a higher piloting and jumping skill in that weight class, and full familiarity with the 'Mech itself. Of course, since people tend to start with light 'Mechs, upgrading to a heavier chassis could be both a blessing and a curse.

I also have a fixed XP gains table and a flexible one. For example, killing a 'Mech gains you 1 XP on the fixed XP table. Since players can control more than 1 Mechwarrior at a time, it can become a strategic choice who to award the XP to. Flexible XP are given for RP reasons.

You could also buy Luck points at the cost of 5 XP per Luck point. Luck points allows you to force a reroll in certain conditions, usually those to avoid an event which can cause the instant death of the Mechwarrior. For example, if your Mechwarrior suffers a PPC hit to the head, you can force the enemy to reroll the location roll before I (as DM) start rolling to see if the shot hit a critical or not (which could be the cockpit, killing the Mechwarrior instantly). The shot still hits, but it just miraculously divert to somewhere else (although it is possible for me to roll another 12 and still take a shot at killing the Mechwarrior outright).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:04:20 AM by AndyJames »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 09:07:51 AM »
AJ, get that shit published. WoAC, anyone?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 04:27:48 PM »
Damn. That is totally awesome. I love it. I really do. (It's sure as hell a lot easier to deal with than the actual BattleTech system, which gave me a headache when I tried to read it!)

But that is a game I'd love to play. Wow. Much applause.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 05:12:41 PM »
I second SWSE. It's easily adaptable to Cyberpunk, if you'd like, and it's pretty splat-light. (Just the Core book and I believe 3 splats.) Not that splat-light is good in itself, but it's nice to start in such a setting. To adapt it to cyberpunk: just refluff the things you need. Apart from the occasional rules for Shields, I don't see anything that chafes with cyberpunk.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 11:02:46 PM »
Huh? What do you mean?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 11:57:38 PM »
Huh? What do you mean?

World of Armored Core. Spoofing the World of Darkness title and name-dropping a Giant Robot series of games that could be replicated with the system.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 12:00:17 AM »
Won't publishing it get me hit with a lawsuit from WoD?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 12:18:39 AM »

Not if they are the ones who print it, and you just get paid to work on the book and such.

In other words: Pitch the idea to them, then see if you can get a position on the design team.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 12:37:07 AM »

Not if they are the ones who print it, and you just get paid to work on the book and such.

In other words: Pitch the idea to them, then see if you can get a position on the design team.
Unfortunately, I think Microsoft bought over Fasa, which means they have the rights to Battletech and half the mechanics involved.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 01:05:30 AM »

Unfortunately, I think Microsoft bought over Fasa, which means they have the rights to Battletech and half the mechanics involved.

Invoke trope AKA 47. Google that if you don't know what it means.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 02:27:51 AM »
This is *Microsoft* "All your tropes belongs to us"

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 05:03:34 AM »
This is *Microsoft* "All your tropes belongs to us"
...dude.

Microsoft does *not* own Giant Robots.  If they did, they would have won Japan in lawsuits about 50 years ago.

Talisman

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Do not annoy the Dragon.
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »
I've played Savage Worlds and I like it - it's a little light, but very flexible.

7th Sea (the roll-and-keep version, not the d20 abomination) absolutely rules as far as swashbuckling adventure and piracy.

Deadlands and Deadlands:Hell on Earth are totally cool...weird western and post-apocalptic survival, respectively.

I *do not* like d20 Modern. If you do, well...good for you. Can't stand it myself.
It should've been you, Bendo!

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 06:11:33 AM »
7th Sea is pretty good, but someone really needs to do a new writeup of the rules.  The book layouts are a mess.

I actually kinda like the rules for nWoD, but not for the setting as written.  It'd work really well as a rules-light action-adventure game, as Josh tells us over and over.

Star Wars SAGA is BRILLIANT.  Of all the D&D variants I've played, this is my favorite.  The only thing I'd do is mess with the prestige classes a bit: as it stands there are too many.  In D&D this would be good, but SAGA uses the talent tree system and even with the five splats plus web stuff we have we're starting to get into one-level dips and such.  (Yes, five.  Scum and Villainy's out and I'm counting Threats of the Galaxy because there's some player content in there.)

Deadlands... I'm just not a fan compared to the Savage Worlds adaptation, and that's been brought up.  SW, by the way, is very nice.

If you really want to play d20 Modern, steal the talents from it, import backgrounds and the wealth and equipment stuff, and run SAGA.  Get rid of the Jedi class unless you're using magic.
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2008, 09:02:32 AM »
SAGA will be a game I invest in, for sure.  I only hear good stuff about that system.

Anyway, my concern about splats going down the drain for 4e have somewhat improved.  That said, my concern about 4e overall hasn't.  My rating for Martial Power: 4/5.