Author Topic: Random dilemma  (Read 4581 times)

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
Random dilemma
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:16:48 AM »
Longpost is long.
[spoiler]
The other week I was visiting some friends in my home town.  One of my female friends (who we will call A) was dropping hints all night that she either:
1) Wanted me to set her up
or
2) Wanted me

Now, 1 is a little strange for the following reasons:
A) Our schools are within driving distance of eachother, but I know all of three people that go to her school and all of them are grad students (she's a freshman).
B) Another female friend (who we will call B) in the room who is also single goes to the same place (they carpooled to drop by for the weekend), so would be much better at setting her up.

Option 1 is not strange for the following reason:
C) I'm damn fucking good at getting to the core of people and predicting what sort of interactions they will have (IE, if I knew a guy that would click with her really well I'd know it).

Option 2 is highly probable for the following reasons(E has more logic, thus is less meaningful):
D) That's what I picked up on and I have made it a good habit to get translations for girlspeak to the point where I pick up on nearly everything.  I've also made it a habit of playing dumb until I make a decision (which I did to the best of my ability that night)
Reasoning:
D1) There were four of us in the room.  The A and B talk pretty regularly, so she would have no reason to vent to her.  The other girl in the room (who we will call C) couldn't do shit to help her because she lives in our home town.  That leaves me as the intended audience and the cues were there.
D2) She was *much* friendlier with me earlier that evening than usual and seemed to constantly be coming back to chat with me even though there were like 4 of our mutual friends there that she and I hadn't seen in forever.  Booby pillow during movie = comfy.
E) I'm the only male in our group that has *not* tried to get with her and gone all creepy.  That makes me the unique one that treats her more like an individual than anyone else.  Basically, I'm hard to get and thus appealing.  This is conjecture.  We've always gotten along though.

Now, here's where it gets interesting.  Remember the C?  I called her up the other day to see how my instincts were, but wanted to check fringe possiblities first.  I asked her if A was hinting at me to set her up.  Now, C is like my therapist.  I talk with her very regularly.  She said that was what happened, but her vocals indicated that she was withholding information and her initial "Umm" said "Well, it's a LOT more than that she was hinting at".

And to top it all off?  B was actually hinting at wanting someone to set her up, but with the overtones of "but you people are the wrong ones to ask," so there is a solid comparison to give evidence that she was not in fact hinting to be set up and in fact at something else.

So, I've got a strong suspicion that A is into me and B needs setting up.  Now, both A and B are objectively absolutely gorgeous and very smart (All four of us in that room exited high school with a shit ton of AP under our belts).  However, I'm not all that into A (I have very unique tastes) and am concerned with what'll happen when it ends if the newly single (as of tuesday) Ubernoob hits it over winter break.

Basically I'm wondering how to make A and B happy without damaging any relationships.  Now, when C told me that A was hinting at being set up I admitted to considering just playing dumb because I didn't know anyone to set her up with.  There's also a fairly solid chance that C knows I picked up on the deception.  This means that odds are that C will not tell A about me metagaming this until I act, but it is likely to come out after I try out more than friends with A and then shift that back to friends/ex.

What to do to make all my ladies happy... What to do...[/spoiler]

TL DR version:
I'm fairly confident one of my female friends is into me, but not sure if I should actually let on that I know it.  Kind of wondering what to do without making things creepy.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:10:30 AM by ubernoob »
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
Re: Random dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:09:21 AM »
I suggest forgetting about it and getting piss drunk.  That's my default answer.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 01:15:35 AM »
I suggest forgetting about it and getting piss drunk.  That's my default answer.
Yaharr! That's the only answer!

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:16:09 AM »
Well, I am fiercely loyal to my friends and do everything that is in my power to bring them happiness.  Just kind of wondering which avenue that is here.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:18:09 AM »
The best avenue that will cause the most happiness is to not do anything.  alternately, do something that doesn't involve you getting involved in this case.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 01:24:13 AM »
The best avenue that will cause the most happiness is to not do anything.  alternately, do something that doesn't involve you getting involved in this case.
Frankly, I'm afraid to take advice on women from you.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 01:27:20 AM »
I don't know women, but I can see an emotional clusterfuck a mile away, and brother, you're cruisin' for a bruisin'. 

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 02:53:58 AM »
If you are at least 21 years of age, put yourself in a situation where you and a given lady are alone and you've each had a drink or two.  Be subtle and if you get rejected, pull back immediately and blame the booze.  If you get somewhere, ask her out when you sober up.

If you don't like that idea, I'd have to say your best bet is to meet with her often as friends and play dumb to her hints until it gets obvious.

If you are not at least 21 years of age... wait until you're 21 and do the above... ok, no fucking clue what to do if you're not 21.  If you don't have something to protect you from awkwardness in later encounters with your ladies, then there's no way to guarantee anything.  When it comes to matters like this, people are just fucking crazy stupid.

My experience tells me that CountArioch speaks an uncomfortably high degree of truth, despite him constantly acting like a cynical, asexual bastard.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 02:58:58 AM by X-Codes »

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 02:59:30 AM »
Hey, I'll have you know I'm very sexual, I just don't show it in front of people that I'm EXTREMELY comfortable around.  I've been told that I'm "gross" by multiple women, so I tend to hold back.  I'm far from asexual.

Furthermore, I was born well into wedlock, my parents were married for almost two years before I was born.  Which means I'm not a bastard.

the cynical part?  As a friend's grandmother once said, "If you're not cynical, you're stupid".

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 03:00:04 AM »
If you are at least 21 years of age, put yourself in a situation where you and a given lady are alone and you've each had a drink or two.  Be subtle and if you get rejected, pull back immediately and blame the booze.
The issue isn't that I'm into her.  It's that she's into me (per what I can tell) and I'm wondering how to keep things from getting awkward.  Now, I've got my eye on a couple girls here already.  It's not like I'm in a drought for beautiful women to pursue (pursuit is fun; don't judge me).

Sidenote: You really don't have to be 21 to get alcohol in this country.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 03:01:14 AM »
Simple, if you aren't into her, don't persue her.  She'll get over it.  Either that or take a dump in your mailbox.  Happens all the time.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 03:34:45 AM »
Sidenote: You really don't have to be 21 to get alcohol in this country.
Dude... you don't know me.  If I do anything even slightly illegal or against the rules in a slightly public place there is some pseudo-authority figure jumping my ass faster than the speed at which I would be devoured by piranhas.  In all seriousness, if I gave alcohol to anyone under 21, even if they were 20, I'd probably get arrested within 10 minutes and charged with Giving Alcohol to a Minor, Assault, Resisting Arrest, Attempted Rape, Littering, and Jaywalking in something resembling that order, and that would all be from me giving a girl a cocktail.

So yeah, I don't give drinks to people under 21.

P.S.: Count, I did say "acting."  I understand that you're not actually that bad, because if you were then someone would have shot you by now.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:36:26 AM by X-Codes »

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 03:42:06 PM »
 :ahem

I fail to see why anything I said would justify someone trying to kill me.

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 05:32:37 PM »
Uber I've had simmilar experiances to what your haveing now, and I have to agree with Arioch here.  If you go force your self to go out with A things will probably end up worse than they are, and if you try and set her up her feelings may be hurt, but she probably won't confront you about it.  If you realy don't want to just ignore it then you should probably be upfront with her and inform her that your not interested, while she may be intialy be upset, she will hopefully relise that you just don't want that akwardness around each other and don't want her to be hurt, and if you just read her wrong this way then you can just both have a laugh over the whole perdiciment.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 05:36:14 PM »
Uber I've had simmilar experiances to what your haveing now, and I have to agree with Arioch here.  If you go force your self to go out with A things will probably end up worse than they are, and if you try and set her up her feelings may be hurt, but she probably won't confront you about it.  If you realy don't want to just ignore it then you should probably be upfront with her and inform her that your not interested, while she may be intialy be upset, she will hopefully relise that you just don't want that akwardness around each other and don't want her to be hurt, and if you just read her wrong this way then you can just both have a laugh over the whole perdiciment.

Lord knows there is a chance I read her the wrong way.  I do have my moments.

At this point I'm really going to go the whole pretend I didn't notice route.  I've got a third party that will be able to tell me if A starts asking around to get people to prod me.  I'm really not going to risk any drama.  If she actually is upfront with me I can't really deny her (great body and we get along), but if she pussyfoots around I can safely pretend to be a clueless male.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 03:50:00 AM »

Lord knows there is a chance I read her the wrong way.  I do have my moments.

At this point I'm really going to go the whole pretend I didn't notice route.  I've got a third party that will be able to tell me if A starts asking around to get people to prod me.  I'm really not going to risk any drama.  If she actually is upfront with me I can't really deny her (great body and we get along), but if she pussyfoots around I can safely pretend to be a clueless male.
That's absolutely what I should have done a few years back.  Could have been an entirely different life these past few years if I was just a couple years more mature than I was back then.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 04:05:38 AM »
And my life would have been a lot different if I had just nailed that hot ukrainian girl senior year.

Psychic Robot

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 05:26:46 AM »
This is the kind of complicated drama I expect out of women.  For shame, uber.  For shame.  You're using the wrong head to think this one through.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 12:35:09 PM »
This is the kind of complicated drama I expect out of women.  For shame, uber.  For shame.  You're using the wrong head to think this one through.
Point.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 05:20:54 AM »
Even if it were in jest, if one of my friends said that to me in response to a situation like this, they'd be hospitalized within 15 minutes, and the ambulances here have ~10 minute response time.