Author Topic: Keeping it Core?  (Read 16879 times)

MilwaukeeJoe

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Rappan Athuk Play-By-Email
Keeping it Core?
« on: October 17, 2008, 11:31:54 AM »
Just curious, anyone else on this board like me.... when you run D&D 3.5 you stick to the basic 3 core books and rarely go to the other ones unless a player begs?

Just wonderin',
MilwaukeeJoe

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Keeping it Core?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 11:52:48 AM »
The sourcebook rule for the game I'm running is: Anything d20 that I can get my hands on once I've checked it over.

I vetoed flaws but allowed a completely alternate rules system for item creation and I'm using wealth instead of gp.  (And mixing d20 Modern with D&D 3.5 - We have a Wargun in the group as a result.)

However, my group is optimization light so the worst any of them have come up with is Spell Thematics plus Evoker variant from UA giving +2 CL to one Evocation per spell level.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 11:56:00 AM by ZeroSum »

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:55:17 AM »
Never core only (I like my players having more valid options than Cleric, Druid, Wizard, and maybe Bard). As a player myself, I won't touch core only because I want more than 3 (maybe 4) options ever.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 01:00:54 PM »
Never core only (I like my players having more valid options than Cleric, Druid, Wizard, and maybe Bard). As a player myself, I won't touch core only because I want more than 3 (maybe 4) options ever.
Plus Fucking One  :clap
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 01:54:18 PM »
The core-only argument seems rather valid until one realizes that the power balance is completely nonexistant in core. There's casters, and there's noncasters. The only way to achieve a shred of balance in between those two types is to allow, nay, mandate, that viable alternatives such as Tome of Battle be allowed.

MilwaukeeJoe

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 03:43:33 PM »

You mean like Rogue and Sorcerer... perhaps Barbarian and Paladin? That's four more options! Double even!  :P

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 03:56:11 PM »

You mean like Rogue and Sorcerer... perhaps Barbarian and Paladin? That's four more options! Double even!  :P

Sorcerers are just weaker Wizards. Rogues don't qualify without non core stuff. Same with Barbarians. Paladins don't count at all, unless that's what you want to call your LG Cleric or Crusader.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

MilwaukeeJoe

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 04:09:55 PM »
Sorcerers are just weaker Wizards. Rogues don't qualify without non core stuff. Same with Barbarians. Paladins don't count at all, unless that's what you want to call your LG Cleric or Crusader.

I do have to admit that in the Gencon games I ran, core only 3.5... the rogue just didn't seem to have the damage output like the other classes.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 04:13:39 PM »

I do have to admit that in the Gencon games I ran, core only 3.5... the rogue just didn't seem to have the damage output like the other classes.

The main issue is Rogues are just flat out negated by a very long list of things. To counter the counters, you need non core material. Not having 5 types auto negate you is a good start (see MIC). Making TWF suck less also helps (see PTWF, which Rogues can take at level 10 by the RAW). Savvy Rogue also is necessary to deal with those individual immunes (fortification).

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

MilwaukeeJoe

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 04:20:08 PM »
The main issue is Rogues are just flat out negated by a very long list of things. To counter the counters, you need non core material. Not having 5 types auto negate you is a good start (see MIC). Making TWF suck less also helps (see PTWF, which Rogues can take at level 10 by the RAW). Savvy Rogue also is necessary to deal with those individual immunes (fortification).

So how many books would I need to buy to get all that?

I did house rule a few things to make it more fun. I allowed natural 20 rolls to crit anything, and rogues to sneak attack in those situations even if they would normally be immune. It helped.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »

So how many books would I need to buy to get all that?

I did house rule a few things to make it more fun. I allowed natural 20 rolls to crit anything, and rogues to sneak attack in those situations even if they would normally be immune. It helped.

Perfect Two Weapon Fighting is in the SRD in the Epic section. So that leaves... 2. Magic Item Compendium, Complete Scoundrel. First gets you the items you need, second gets you the ability to do crippling strikes as per that class ability even against immunes. Also, other benefits. It really does help that balance and viability thing if you have the MIC and all of the Complete series. Except Psionic, because it is the practical demonstration of what critical fumble house rules look like in action. Also, PHB 2.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

MilwaukeeJoe

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 04:45:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye out for those at half-price bookstores.

Otherwise, I'm going 4E... so it can wait for a while.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye out for those at half-price bookstores.

Otherwise, I'm going 4E... so it can wait for a while.

4.0 = everyone is a 3.5 Fighter. Including the enemies.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

MilwaukeeJoe

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 04:52:26 PM »
4.0 = everyone is a 3.5 Fighter. Including the enemies.

That's an interesting take on it, hadn't heard that one before. But, if you want to discuss further, let's take it to the 4E board.

Later,
MilwaukeeJoe

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 01:09:43 PM »
If you do stay in core, you shouldn't let people play noncasters, otherwise it will suck all around.

MilwaukeeJoe

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »
If you do stay in core, you shouldn't let people play noncasters, otherwise it will suck all around.

What about core "Pathfinder RPG"? Is that better balanced for the classes?
MilwaukeeJoe

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 01:16:51 PM »
Not. At. All.

Okay, sort of, a little bit, but really the difference is pretty negligible. The non-spellcasters still suck. Fighters are still the worst of the worst. Clerics and Wizards took a little hit to some of their spells, but they still rock everything's socks off.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 01:25:27 PM »

What about core "Pathfinder RPG"? Is that better balanced for the classes?
MilwaukeeJoe

Core Pathfinder is all about casters are even better, and everyone else is even worse. Other highlights include builds rejected from the WotC homebrew forum such as the many failed Fighter fixes which the PF Fighter exactly resembles, removing the only tricks said Fighter had while still delusionally thinking said class has been buffed, and giving casters random new things like free Quicken Spells while claiming they are now weaker. Only part of casters that got nerfed is the TO level material that doesn't get allowed anyways. In other words, they did nothing anyone with an IQ over 45 could not do.

Not to mention even if you do go outside of core to get the things you must have to be relevant, the core itself is fucked with so you don't have any tricks anyways. PA nerf, Improved Trip nerf. Invalidates the only two builds worth considering even if you have the non core material to make them.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 02:07:25 PM »
My mind was made up a while ago by that thread about promoting balance by allowing everything. The strong core classes don't need any help. The weak ones can only get stronger with more options. Someone should find that thread, I don't remember the name.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 11:14:34 PM »
Just curious, anyone else on this board like me.... when you run D&D 3.5 you stick to the basic 3 core books and rarely go to the other ones unless a player begs?

Just wonderin',
MilwaukeeJoe
Problem with that is that the melee classes are pretty much boned in a Core only environment. Most of the overpowered caster stuff is in Core.

Examples include things like Gate, Shapechange, Polymorph, Natural Spells, etc. These are all Core.