Author Topic: interviews?  (Read 7980 times)

Cloven-Fruit-Games

• Monkey bussiness
interviews?
« on: October 16, 2008, 11:56:28 PM »
You should considering doing interviews, or in your case more akin to a random conversation with game industry people.

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: interviews?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 01:24:26 AM »
Not on the radar right now.  Not saying we never will, but it doesn't really fit in with our mission currently.

The other big piece is just in recording.  We don't record over skype currently and aren't set up for it and that's the way to do interviews.  Just the logistics would be tough- we currently stop during recording and save fairly frequently and that would throw off recording over skype as well.

But it's not impossible.  Why do you think we should do them?
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Cloven-Fruit-Games

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:30:48 AM »
Why do you think we should do them?

I like your outlook on gaming in general. I think your honesty in a conversational setting with professionals would be more interesting then most interviews.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:07:40 AM »
The reason not to do interviews is double sided.

On one side we have the "good" game designers.  If we have Luke Crane or Fred Hicks, what can they say that they have not already said on other podcasts?

On the other side we have the "bad" designers. 

Us: What is your excuse for the lousy game you made?
Them: I don't think is was bad
Us: Oh it was.
Them: (hands over ears)LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA I CANT HEAR YOU LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA

If a lousy game designer comes on they would feel compelled to defend their crappy game.  So you get to hear us tear apart some idiot.  As amusing as that would be it would not be dignified for the interviewee. 

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

MilwaukeeJoe

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Rappan Athuk Play-By-Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 11:01:05 AM »
Then how do you explain people getting interviewed by Stephen Colbert?

(Maybe it works for him because he's Colbert and people expect that out of him.)

Cloven-Fruit-Games

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 11:42:10 AM »
Josh, that is why you are a jackass.
If, durring siad interviews, you held the swearing and name calling to a lower occurence rate; then you could say:

"I think this game was bad becuase...   What were yoiu trying to accomplish with that aspect of the game?"

Than they might answer, without the childish slapping of hands over ears with chanting to make the bad man go away.

You might even frist start with any aspect of the game you thought was good.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 12:04:34 PM »
Then how do you explain people getting interviewed by Stephen Colbert?

(Maybe it works for him because he's Colbert and people expect that out of him.)

Colbert has the "jester" effect, he is a comedy program.

Josh, that is why you are a jackass.
If, durring siad interviews, you held the swearing and name calling to a lower occurence rate; then you could say:

"I think this game was bad becuase...   What were yoiu trying to accomplish with that aspect of the game?"

Than they might answer, without the childish slapping of hands over ears with chanting to make the bad man go away.

You might even frist start with any aspect of the game you thought was good.

Let me preface this by saying, I have talked to a number of these companies.  As I mentioned on the GenCon episode Robin Laws stood out for having a good response.  Ultimately these programs would not be interesting, unless we made it interesting.  And I don't want to do that.

MilwaukeeJoe

• Rappan Athuk Play-By-Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 12:54:27 PM »
Colbert has the "jester" effect, he is a comedy program.

Yeah, while your show has a great amount of humor... I wouldn't call you a jester, really.

Cloven-Fruit-Games

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 01:22:46 PM »
Let me preface this by saying, I have talked to a number of these companies.  As I mentioned on the GenCon episode Robin Laws stood out for having a good response.

I have spoken to a great deal of them as well. I am sure I could get you a dozen people, willing to put up with your abuse and even give it back you in an interview.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 10:58:41 PM »
Let me preface this by saying, I have talked to a number of these companies.  As I mentioned on the GenCon episode Robin Laws stood out for having a good response.

I have spoken to a great deal of them as well. I am sure I could get you a dozen people, willing to put up with your abuse and even give it back you in an interview.
Maybe.  But most game designers are not very interesting. 

And lets say that they are willing to put up with it.  How entertaining is it to see someone get beat down and take it like a man? 
Lets say they fight back.  And we make them look like prancing retards.  Funny yes, but not respectable.

Ultimately these programs would not be interesting, unless we made it interesting.  And I don't want to do that.

Well, I am not sure what you consider interesting. I however do not consider your attempt at witty banter to be interesting.

I listen to the show because you make valid points on gaming and the game industry.
That is the part I am talking about.

I think approaching the industry people with that frankness and insight would be much more interesting then the most interviews.
We are working on some kind of feedback, behind the scenes.  We will see how this goes. 

Robert Bohl

• Misspent Youth
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 07:30:05 PM »
But it's not impossible.  Why do you think we should do them?
For the enlightenment of your audience, and not AT ALL for personal reasons of my own. NOT AT ALL.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 03:06:03 AM »
I just listened to atomic array on CthulhuTech today and I think the guys schwanked asking followup questions to Matt Grau.

Ire, building.

Cam_Banks

• Curious George
    • Margaret Weis Productions
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 02:49:29 PM »
Maybe.  But most game designers are not very interesting.

There's no reason to put any of them on a pedestal. I wouldn't say most of them aren't interesting, though. Heck, I'm amazingly interesting. Just ask Zeke. I have a funny accent and everything.

And lets say that they are willing to put up with it.  How entertaining is it to see someone get beat down and take it like a man? 
Lets say they fight back.  And we make them look like prancing retards.  Funny yes, but not respectable.

The key element in that statement is "entertaining." If your aim is to entertain, rather than inform, then no, it'd be pretty ridiculous to actually talk to game designers and tell them how much their game sucks. On the other hand, if you are genuinely interested in asking them why they write games the way they do, what their influences are, how they think, what their expectations of gameplay are, and so forth, then I think there's a lot of information in there for your audience.

Cheers,
Cam
Managing Editor & Community Manager | Margaret Weis Productions

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 07:18:06 PM »
The key element in that statement is "entertaining." If your aim is to entertain, rather than inform, then no, it'd be pretty ridiculous to actually talk to game designers and tell them how much their game sucks. On the other hand, if you are genuinely interested in asking them why they write games the way they do, what their influences are, how they think, what their expectations of gameplay are, and so forth, then I think there's a lot of information in there for your audience.
You have a bit of a misunderstanding there.

The show must be both entertaining AND informative. 

Cam_Banks

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 07:54:35 PM »

Then you occasionally work at cross-purposes.

Cheers,
Cam

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 08:07:44 PM »

Then you occasionally work at cross-purposes.

Cheers,
Cam

Have you ever worked on any sort of creative endeavor?  You have a whole swath of requirements for any project. 

Cross purposes does not describe the situation accurately.

Cam_Banks

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »

Have you ever worked on any sort of creative endeavor?  You have a whole swath of requirements for any project. 

Okay. How about, sometimes when you try to be entertaining, you fail to be informative.

Cheers,
Cam

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 02:10:51 AM »

Okay. How about, sometimes when you try to be entertaining, you fail to be informative.

I knew that already, But I am glad that I helped you to understand it.

And if you are trying to passive aggressively refer to the BSG review, we did not just cut it short because of the entertainment there were a number of factors.   Which due to the vagaries of the English language could still be called entertainment.  People do not want to hear a bitch session, and we did not want to go through the game.  It is a waste of time both ours and the listeners to go through that game for any length.  I'm thankful we came up with something to do.  We started by writing a 5 minute show and then added stuff to it.  Absolutely no information that we intended to put out was cut.  And that's that.

Cam_Banks

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 12:16:44 PM »
I knew that already, But I am glad that I helped you to understand it.

You're welcome.

And if you are trying to passive aggressively refer to the BSG review

Nope. I thought I made my own position about that clear with you three at the very beginning, and I don't harbor any resentment toward you for not liking it. However, it has been made fairly clear by several listeners that your reviews could do with more supporting analysis, and I think that by trying to be funny or shocking you don't leave yourself any time for that.

Cheers,
Cam

Robert Bohl

• Misspent Youth
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 12:21:47 PM »
I thought you guys weren't going to do reviews any longer.