Author Topic: Gather, my brethren. Methusleahs, welcome to my humble domain.  (Read 1964 times)

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
Gather, my brethren. Methusleahs, welcome to my humble domain.
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:55:56 PM »
So, that's a cheesy enough topic title to attract attention.

So, my question:

Does anyone here play Vampire:the Eternal Struggle?

I've been doing it for about four years now.

My main clan is Lasombra (no way, who could have guessed?), but I also play oldschool ventrue (G1-2), Salubri & Salubri anti (G3-4), Ishtarri (G3-4 naturally), Gangrel anti (all groups), Ahrimanes (G3-4), True Brujah (Nehemiah only) and Giovanni (G4-5).

I'd probably play every clan and bloodline, had I the money to aquire them :blush

So, just checking if anyone else here is playing this awesome game.

[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

johnboy069

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Gather, my brethren. Methusleahs, welcome to my humble domain.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 06:29:36 PM »
I have never played, but I am gettingready to order the player's guide and going from  there. I used to have somecards, but I didn't have a rulebook so I gave them to a friend that moved away lol. I will probably play Tremere or Gangrel though if I start playing.
This is johnboy069 and toryn from the wizards boards:)
\m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, you will be missed.\m/ :bigeye

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
Tremere is better from an allround perspective, not to mention better in tournaments.
Gangrel is just plain good at killing stuff dead.
I'm going to advice against starting with the Tremere from Keepers of the Traditions. They suck.
Well, not suck. But they're vastly inferior to the oldschool starter (which isn't impossible to get, even though it's out of print. At least not in my experience).
Consider instead the new Tremere Antitribu. The G4 !Tremere are ridiciously good. And so is the starter.
Malgorzata and Orlando Oriundus, to be precise. Splash with Ladislas Toth, The Torch and you got yourself a nasty piece of deck with plenty of vote defense, anti-stealth defense (Auspex) plenty of offesive power (They got the games single most powerful discipline after all, Dominate) and the toolbox/toubleshooter discipline of all times, Thaumathurgy. I'd be suprised if there's any situation that Thamathurgy can't handle, the only drawback that in some cases you'll need to use up a fair amount of cards.

Not sayin' that Gangrel are boring, but they can do pretty much only one thing, which might be boring after a while.
And in serious tournaments, they're the underdog (no pun intended) unless your metagame differs from mine.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

johnboy069

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:08:57 AM »
Thanks Shadowhunter! I found a copy of the Vampire player's guide online for under $30, and I am going to order it next week. I have always loved the Tremere and Gangrel since I played the Vampire RPG in high school. Those 2 were my favorite clans, and I love their disciplines, especially Thaumaturgy. 95% of me is leaning toward Tremere, but I don't know where to go from there. Hopefully, the player's guide will have some decent advice.
This is johnboy069 and toryn from the wizards boards:)
\m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, you will be missed.\m/ :bigeye