Author Topic: Need help making pre-gens more fun  (Read 2081 times)

MilwaukeeJoe

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Rappan Athuk Play-By-Email
Need help making pre-gens more fun
« on: October 15, 2008, 03:26:32 PM »
Over the years, I've been trying to make my pre-generated characters more fun for my Gencon players. It seems to me that if I can get the players more interactive with each other, everybody has more fun. So, I gave each PC a personal quirk that gives them a bonus to a die roll in exchange for doing something in-character.

(Edit: This is for D&D 4E.)

Examples:

Ryker, Human Cleric of Pelor
Ryker considers Pelor to be the best deity and truest religion, the living Word of the Sun. In situations where Ryker quotes the sacred text of Pelor during a priestly action, he can add an extra +1 to any die roll during that action. Feel free to make up what the 'sacred text' contains.

Belwig, Halfling Rogue
Belwig loves to taunt his foes. Once per round if he verbally insults his foe he can add a +1 bonus to any die roll pertaining to the attack. Your fellow players will decide if the taunt is worth the bonus.

Dushkjel, Half-Elf Warlock
Dushkjel learned the dark arts from a distant oriental clan that used haiku to harness the power of the stars. When Dushkjel recites a 5-7-5 haiku during spellcasting, he gains a +1 bonus on any one die roll related to the action.

Cassandra, Elven PaladinHogarth, Human Fighter
When Hogarth gives a rousing speech (ala Braveheart), he and all allies are filled with courage. Each gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls for the encounter. Your fellow players will judge whether your rousing speech was good enough to warrant the bonus!

Tricia, Elven Rogue
Tricia loves to taunt her foes, something she does well. During a sneak attack, if she verbally insults her foe she can add a +1 bonus to any die roll pertaining to the attack.

I start to run out of ideas after the first few, however. Got any to help me out? The goal is to award roleplaying with slight bonuses, specific to a PC. Or in a more generic sense... what can I do to make con-game styled pre-gens more fun for players?

Thanks!
MilwaukeeJoe
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:14:20 AM by MilwaukeeJoe »

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Need help making pre-gens more fun
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 04:06:36 PM »
Sounds like great fun. I'd love to hear some spur of the moment holy teachings of Pelor.

"Did you hear about the cleric that stayed up all night to see where the sun went? It finally dawned on her."  :P

MilwaukeeJoe

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:15:39 PM »
Sounds like great fun. I'd love to hear some spur of the moment holy teachings of Pelor.
"Did you hear about the cleric that stayed up all night to see where the sun went? It finally dawned on her."  :P

Most of the quotes are funny only during the game. There's one I will remember though from a player who really got Ryker well,
"It is the East, and Juliet is the sun!
No, wait... that big ball of fire up there... THAT's the sun!"

That one got the table rolling. It's all in the timing, really. :)

MilwaukeeJoe

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 10:51:31 AM »
Well, make them more balanced with each other for one. Ditch that warlock and paladin, they're only going to hinder the party. I like the personality quirk bonuses, they're nice, but there's a few Pre-Gens that would be bad choices to actually play in a game. Not saying that you should scrap the PCs, just that you should probably change their classes.

Although depending on the type of game you're interested in, it might not matter. A lot of the time, though, a Warlock player or a Paladin or a Fighter will feel useless when compared to a cleric, because clerics are quite powerful. It's great fun to play something that is consistently powerful. Even if that's not really your thing to destroy worlds, it's nice to destroy ogres.

What level and such are these pre-gens?

MilwaukeeJoe

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 11:05:56 AM »
Although depending on the type of game you're interested in, it might not matter. A lot of the time, though, a Warlock player or a Paladin or a Fighter will feel useless when compared to a cleric, because clerics are quite powerful. It's great fun to play something that is consistently powerful. Even if that's not really your thing to destroy worlds, it's nice to destroy ogres.
What level and such are these pre-gens?

D&D 4E (apologies for not making it more obvious above), and I think I'm going to choose a level around 7th or so. Each PC will be of the same level.

Instead of cutting out classes, how about having more pre-gens than players? In that way, nobody is stuck with a pre-gen they don't want to play; they will have more options, keeping the variety alive.

MilwaukeeJoe

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 02:38:59 PM »
Ah it's 4e. I was running with 3.5 scissors.

MilwaukeeJoe

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 02:46:58 PM »
Ah it's 4e. I was running with 3.5 scissors.

Let me rephrase the question... Regardless of edition, what can a DM do to make pre-gens more fun? Or, is making good pre-gens tied in with the system specifically?

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 06:12:37 PM »
There are a few tips to making fun pregens. 

brevity - One quarter page of text is your maximum amount of space to write a background.

Charts or graphs - If you can include one of these do so.  Examples I have used.  Seating charts, relationship matrix, rank charts

Dynamic - make any quirk or aspect of the character force them to do something.  Rather than think about or not do something.  Fear of plants is bad, obsession with plants is better.

If you are going to make up special things, I would advise doing so within the rules of the game you are using.  As said, doing Haiku is not part of DnD.  The problem that might occur is two sided.  If someone is really good at doing Haiku, then the others will resent how easy their power comes.  If they are bad at haiku they will resent how tough their challenge is. 

Also do them within the structure of powers from 4ed.  That is encounter, daily, at will. 

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009