Author Topic: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?  (Read 268651 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?
« Reply #880 on: September 17, 2009, 06:12:46 PM »
Here's something I saw mentioned recently on GitP.

Cast the following spells on an enemy in order: flesh to stone, transmute rock to mud, purify food and drink. They are technically still alive and cannot be resurrected, but there is no way to return them to normal. :D Okay, there's a few places where this gets tied up, but it's funny.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #881 on: September 17, 2009, 06:18:43 PM »
Here's something I saw mentioned recently on GitP.

Cast the following spells on an enemy in order: flesh to stone, transmute rock to mud, purify food and drink. They are technically still alive and cannot be resurrected, but there is no way to return them to normal. :D Okay, there's a few places where this gets tied up, but it's funny.

Since mud is technically dirt and water... I can definitely see it working.

Plus you have your all natural water elemental now!

I assume Colossal Fleshgrinding arrows + Shrink Item + Manyshot have already been mentioned somewhere. It's mostly a damage trick, but the mental image of someone being torn by regular arrows that grow to the size of a tree trunk makes me giggle.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #882 on: September 19, 2009, 09:49:07 PM »
There may be rulings that make this one not work, and it may be old news, but...

A strong titan bloodline grants Use Oversized Weapon, as the titan ability at level 12.  That ability reads as follows:

Oversized Weapon (Ex)

A titan wields a great, two-handed warhammer (big enough for Gargantuan creatures) without penalty.

For a titan, which is already a huge creature, this is no big deal.  However, a halfling with a strong titan bloodline, you have a small creature wielding a gargantuan warhammer.  If you put down that warhammer and use a psionic tattoo of Compression, you can shrink down to diminutive, but you still have Use Oversized Weapon, meaning you can pick that gargantuan warhammer right back up.

Next, you cast Giant Size at a caster level of 19 or better, which increases your size all the way to colossal.  An increase of seven size categories.  Your warhammer also increases in size by seven size categories, making it six size categories beyond colossal, and off of any weapon damage chart I know of.  However, extrapolating off of the A&EG charts, it would be 40d6 base damage or better.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #883 on: September 19, 2009, 10:30:20 PM »
needs mighty wollop.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #884 on: September 19, 2009, 11:07:22 PM »
Good point.  48d6 damage, then.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #885 on: September 20, 2009, 05:29:33 AM »
There may be rulings that make this one not work, and it may be old news, but...

A strong titan bloodline grants Use Oversized Weapon, as the titan ability at level 12.  That ability reads as follows:

Oversized Weapon (Ex)

A titan wields a great, two-handed warhammer (big enough for Gargantuan creatures) without penalty.

For a titan, which is already a huge creature, this is no big deal.  However, a halfling with a strong titan bloodline, you have a small creature wielding a gargantuan warhammer.  If you put down that warhammer and use a psionic tattoo of Compression, you can shrink down to diminutive, but you still have Use Oversized Weapon, meaning you can pick that gargantuan warhammer right back up.

Next, you cast Giant Size at a caster level of 19 or better, which increases your size all the way to colossal.  An increase of seven size categories.  Your warhammer also increases in size by seven size categories, making it six size categories beyond colossal, and off of any weapon damage chart I know of.  However, extrapolating off of the A&EG charts, it would be 40d6 base damage or better.

No then you'd have a Colossal++++++ hammer not a Gargantuan hammer. You would get the penalties.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #886 on: September 22, 2009, 01:24:38 AM »
No, you wouldn't get the penalties, as Giant Size explicitly gandfathers in your gear, so the fact that it isn't gargantuan anymore doesn't matter.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #887 on: September 22, 2009, 01:42:27 AM »
the oversized weapon quality says "gargantuan", not "gardgantuan, in relation to your size catagory".  being able to weild an even bigger hammer after casting giant size is RAI, and RAI says that oversized weapon is intended to be only one size catagory bigger than you.  RAW or RAI, pick one. you can stack both favorably.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #888 on: September 22, 2009, 05:41:13 AM »
No, you wouldn't get the penalties, as Giant Size explicitly gandfathers in your gear, so the fact that it isn't gargantuan anymore doesn't matter.

In a normal situation, yes. But the RAW intepretation only says Gargantuan, unlike other similar effects.

Normal Situation, Example: Goliath with a Large Hammer which is somehow enlarged -> Large Goliath with a Huge Hammer. Powerful build states one size larger, so no penalties since the weapon is still one size large.

This Situation: Dimunitive Creature with a Gargantuan... Hammer with Giant Size -> Colossal Creature with a Colossal++++++ Hammer. Oversized weapon does not apply since it states gargantuan. You thus get penalties for wielding a weapon 6 sizes too big. The over-specificity of Oversized Weapon (EX) which you abused to wield the gargantuan hammer turned out to be your downfall.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #889 on: September 22, 2009, 11:23:04 AM »
However, once you cast Giant Size, you're not using Use Oversized Weapon to wield the hammer anymore.  You're using Giant Size, which explicitly retains your ability to use your gear.  Quotey text:
All your equipment changes size with you, allowing you to use weapons or magic items effectively in your giant form.
Allowing you to effectively use your gear means no extra penalties for the stunt.  No, it's not gargantuan anymore, but that doesn't matter because it gets explicitly grandfathered in by Giant Size.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #890 on: September 22, 2009, 11:26:59 AM »
...this is what I get for being away from books...

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #891 on: September 22, 2009, 12:02:50 PM »
well thats just silly. But its still a nice literal RAW trick  :clap
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #892 on: September 22, 2009, 02:16:38 PM »
You think that's silly, I once had a human rogue that would sneak attack with a collasal Sap...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #893 on: September 22, 2009, 05:38:34 PM »
You think that's silly, I once had a human rogue that would sneak attack with a collasal Sap...

Who were you trying to put to sleep?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #894 on: September 22, 2009, 05:53:36 PM »
Paladin guarding a sleeping kingling.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #895 on: September 22, 2009, 05:58:33 PM »

How did you get away with sneaking in a weapon that was over sixteen times your own size? Shrink Item?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #896 on: September 22, 2009, 06:01:49 PM »
How did you get away with sneaking in a weapon that was over sixteen times your own size? Shrink Item?
Shadow dancer and ring of invisibility...

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #897 on: November 03, 2009, 05:58:56 PM »
Hm, possible refinement of the Haunt Shift trick: make your statue Colossal, then cast Shrink Object on it. Nothing in Shrink Object says its HP changes (so we must assume that by default it does not), and you lose the nasty size modifiers to AC and attacks. Plus you can disguise yourself a lot easier (I had an idea for such a suit of armor being worn by a corpse with a Continual Flame spell on it (the corpse, I mean), so that everyone would assume the corpse is the bad guy).
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #898 on: November 03, 2009, 07:13:16 PM »
Hm, possible refinement of the Haunt Shift trick: make your statue Colossal, then cast Shrink Object on it. Nothing in Shrink Object says its HP changes (so we must assume that by default it does not), and you lose the nasty size modifiers to AC and attacks. Plus you can disguise yourself a lot easier (I had an idea for such a suit of armor being worn by a corpse with a Continual Flame spell on it (the corpse, I mean), so that everyone would assume the corpse is the bad guy).

Hmmm, that might work, assuming that the rules for object HP doesn't have size interfere with it at all.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #899 on: November 03, 2009, 09:53:34 PM »
Although i can't remember the exact combination of feats, a non-epic level, non-spell caster can cover an entire world (Or maybe plane) is a nigh-endless field of elemental damage, using the dragonborn's breathe weapon, and liberal aplications of metabreathe feats from the dracomicon.

Lingering Breath and Widen Breath can be applied as often as you like, but they delay your next use of the ability. So you apply each of them infinite times and never get to use your breath weapon again. The breath weapon is infinitely wide and lasts infinitely long. So the entire plane is burning forever.

Actually I think dying resets all X/time things to expended normally so the breath timer could be fixed bya contingent revivify followed by killing yourself and then resting upon coming back.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]