Author Topic: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?  (Read 269037 times)

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?
« Reply #760 on: July 24, 2009, 12:17:24 AM »
Does Half-Golem have a listed LA?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #761 on: July 24, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »
1.Base creature

2. Half Golem, fail the wills save

3. Incarnet Construct

4.Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you LA is negative 100 and you CR is 4

5.Apply ever aquired template avalible...
And how are you getting all that cash?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #762 on: July 24, 2009, 01:29:03 AM »
Uncanny Forethought is from... where, exactly? I'm lazy and away from my sources.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #763 on: July 24, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »
Uncanny Forethought is from... where, exactly? I'm lazy and away from my sources.

Exemplers of EEEEEEEEEEVillll!

It's very appropriate that the best Lelouche build will be built around uncanny forethought.
Planetouched Handbook

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #764 on: July 25, 2009, 03:51:32 PM »
A much easier and cheaper Incarnate Construct trick: Apply Dustform, which makes you a construct and has a listed LA of +2. Add Incarnate Construct. Repeat for +4 Str (or +2, AFB) a pop.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #765 on: July 26, 2009, 04:14:10 AM »
I don't think you're allowed to have more than one of the same template (except Evolved Undead), anyway.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #766 on: July 26, 2009, 07:44:14 AM »
I don't think you're allowed to have more than one of the same template (except Evolved Undead), anyway.

You can't. Basically, you override one template when you apply the other so that the first no longer applies.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #767 on: July 26, 2009, 08:06:41 AM »
You can't. Basically, you override one template when you apply the other so that the first no longer applies.
I'm really curious: Are you absolutely sure about that? Is that somewhere in a general "template" section? Because the templates themselves generally only check the type of the base creature. And I cannot find any contradictory text :shrug
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 08:13:22 AM by Suzerain »

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #768 on: July 26, 2009, 03:21:59 PM »
There aren't any specific rules text. However, both templates change your base type. Therefore, once you apply the second template, you become eligible for the first once again.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #769 on: July 26, 2009, 05:28:57 PM »
There aren't any specific rules text. However, both templates change your base type. Therefore, once you apply the second template, you become eligible for the first once again.

Just because you're eligible for a template doesn't mean that you can take it. For example, Feral can be applied to monstrous humanoids, and makes you into a monstrous humanoid. So does that mean you could play a Feral Feral Feral Feral Feral Water Orc if you so desire?

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #770 on: July 26, 2009, 05:33:13 PM »

Just because you're eligible for a template doesn't mean that you can take it. For example, Feral can be applied to monstrous humanoids, and makes you into a monstrous humanoid. So does that mean you could play a Feral Feral Feral Feral Feral Water Orc if you so desire?
Feral is an inherented template, you can't get it twice...

But half-golem and Incarnet construct are both aquired templates, what (besides cost) keeps you from aquiring it over and over?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #771 on: July 26, 2009, 06:00:56 PM »
Exactly. The example with the multiplicating Feral Water Orc doesn't apply.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #772 on: July 26, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »
Then a quintuple-spellstitched Necropolitan or a quad-Dragonborn. The example is immaterial, the point is that you cannot take a template more than once unless it specifically says that you can.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #773 on: July 26, 2009, 07:16:14 PM »
Then a quintuple-spellstitched Necropolitan or a quad-Dragonborn. The example is immaterial, the point is that you cannot take a template more than once unless it specifically says that you can.
No, you can't take two templates unless it's logical, RAW has no information on mass template applications
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #774 on: July 26, 2009, 07:19:47 PM »
RAW does say "Note: Unlike most templates, an evolved undead can potentially acquire this template more than once, evolving more with each application."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #775 on: July 26, 2009, 07:24:38 PM »
RAW does say "Note: Unlike most templates, an evolved undead can potentially acquire this template more than once, evolving more with each application."
Most templates involve a type change, though.
Planetouched Handbook

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #776 on: July 26, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »
Again, the evolved undead example doesn't apply.

Unlike the evolved undead template, what we're doing is not just stacking the same template multiple times, we're "buffering" it with another template that makes the previous one "pointless". THAT'S the big deal. The logic is similar to any legal loop in D&D, like the Consumptive Field loop. Technically, you shouldn't be able to stack the effects of a consumptive field on another, since they are the same effect, but the effects of one at a greater strength supercedes the other, and enables you to go further.  The same thing happens here - once you apply Incarnate Construct, the creature ceases to be the same that it was previously (type change), but that doesn't mean it didn't go through a change that made it stronger (Dustform was applied). And once you apply Dustform again, the creature ceases to be an incarnate construct.

I believe there was mention of using a loop with a thought bottle and becoming an evolved wraith that allowed you to effectively become an "ECL 20" character with tons of feats, HP in the four digits, inanely high saves and every class feature known to man. Similar principle there.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #777 on: July 26, 2009, 07:44:51 PM »
I suppose I can agree with that. If it is indeed true that a creature is no longer treated as having a template due to changing its type, then it can be applied again. However, if that premise is flawed, and a template, once applied, is permanently affixed, then I believe that it cannot be applied again.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #778 on: July 26, 2009, 08:00:56 PM »
I suppose I can agree with that. If it is indeed true that a creature is no longer treated as having a template due to changing its type, then it can be applied again. However, if that premise is flawed, and a template, once applied, is permanently affixed, then I believe that it cannot be applied again.
The main reason that this seems to be an unwritten rule is that any template, save the ones that say can be double applied, change the type of the creature so that applying it is nolonger is a valid template...

But I do agree with you that you can't apply paragon, or fire-souled, or lolth-touched more than one...

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #779 on: July 27, 2009, 01:50:13 AM »
I believe there was mention of using a loop with a thought bottle and becoming an evolved wraith that allowed you to effectively become an "ECL 20" character with tons of feats, HP in the four digits, inanely high saves and every class feature known to man. Similar principle there.

the Word, of Frank and K's The Wish and the Word did something similar.

Also, the Ritual of Unlearning in Savage Species lets you become any other creature, with the caveat that you have to pay a bucket-load of gold and some XP to do so. Now, you're supposed to begin the ritual and then continue adventuring normally, taking a day off every week to do ritual stuff. When you hit the ECL of the creature you are turning into, you trade in all the class levels you gained since you started the ritual and you become a Class X (whatever you were when you started the ritual) Creature. What you actually do is horde your gold until you have enough to afford the ritual and you are the same ECL as the creature. Perform the ritual in one big effort, and you are whatever creature you turned into with all of your class levels intact.

For example, I'm Bob the Artificer. I would really love to be a Black Ethergaunt, but I don't want to stop being an Artificer. So, I level up normally, making my way to level 20 like a good adventurer. Then, I take my massive pile of gold, plunk down some XP and get myself turned into a Black Ethergaunt Artificer 20. I now have 16 Aberration HD and 20 levels of Artificer. And I'm an "ECL 20" character.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]