Author Topic: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?  (Read 268643 times)

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
Re: Do we have a dirty trick handbook?
« Reply #700 on: May 29, 2009, 06:35:47 PM »
If you have a way to use this as a melee attack you could combine this with a bloodstorm dragoon (dragoon tossed repeatedly by a bloodstorm blade).

Actually, I was thinking about combining it with the million attacks linked in my sig. Just need the text to see exactly how it's stated and what I may have to change to accommodate.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #701 on: May 29, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »
I don't think that would work - an atlatl is a two-handed weapon.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #702 on: May 29, 2009, 07:03:16 PM »
Also, does Splitting work on Atlatls?
Activation: The splitting ability of a ranged weapon (must
be a bow, crossbow, arrow, or bolt)
only functions if its wielder
has the Precise Shot feat.

Emphasis mine.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #703 on: May 31, 2009, 10:12:23 AM »
I don't think that would work - an atlatl is a two-handed weapon.

A Tiny one, however, would be light, and therefor roughly dagger sized, so should work with master thrower's palm throw...

Emphasis mine.

That would ruin it though.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #704 on: May 31, 2009, 01:41:59 PM »

Emphasis mine.
Could you enchant a Balista with splitting?  :twitch
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #705 on: May 31, 2009, 02:33:15 PM »

Emphasis mine.
Why not?

It's only 3d8 base, I don't really see the problem.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #706 on: May 31, 2009, 03:32:37 PM »

Emphasis mine.
Splitting AND Exit Wound.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #707 on: May 31, 2009, 03:42:27 PM »

Emphasis mine.
Splitting AND Exit Wound.

Sure, not bad, but there really isn't that much difference from a 'normal' bow or crossbow, that was kinda my point :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #708 on: May 31, 2009, 04:20:42 PM »
It's all in the visuals. Damage and effectiveness are all well and good, but sheer awesome counts for a lot too!
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #709 on: May 31, 2009, 04:35:31 PM »
Here something I thought of, eternal wand of Wood Shape and Feather Token (Tree), you can make anything you need, and turn the exess into 10' poles which you sell for profit...

Battering ram, club, missing gear, bridge, building material, small wooden fort... it's like a cheaper wood only version of the magnifisant pigment...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #710 on: May 31, 2009, 04:44:35 PM »
It's all in the visuals. Damage and effectiveness are all well and good, but sheer awesome counts for a lot too!
Agreed :)

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #711 on: May 31, 2009, 07:06:01 PM »
Here something I thought of, eternal wand of Wood Shape and Feather Token (Tree), you can make anything you need, and turn the exess into 10' poles which you sell for profit...

Battering ram, club, missing gear, bridge, building material, small wooden fort... it's like a cheaper wood only version of the magnifisant pigment...

I thought all druids did this. All the time. I know mine does. Ironwood makes them even better. Ever forge a weapon on a wooden anvil? Someone in my party has.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #712 on: May 31, 2009, 07:14:43 PM »

I thought all druids did this. All the time. I know mine does. Ironwood makes them even better. Ever forge a weapon on a wooden anvil? Someone in my party has.

I always like Wood Shape over knock... the rogue can't unlock this lock, wood shape the door so the lock falls out, wood shape the chest to see if it's a mimic(a great use for the spell even if you don't have the wand...)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #713 on: May 31, 2009, 07:25:42 PM »

I always like Wood Shape over knock... the rogue can't unlock this lock, wood shape the door so the lock falls out, wood shape the chest to see if it's a mimic(a great use for the spell even if you don't have the wand...)
That assumes that you're dealing with a lot of wooden doors.

And if the door is made of wood, just have your local beatstick make the DC 25 max strength check to break it.  If they take 20 and have a racial bonus, it's gauranteed to work.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #714 on: May 31, 2009, 07:28:55 PM »

That assumes that you're dealing with a lot of wooden doors.

And if the door is made of wood, just have your local beatstick make the DC 25 max strength check to break it.  If they take 20 and have a racial bonus, it's gauranteed to work.
Or you point and click, and the door becomes a cart to help you haul your illgotten gains.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #715 on: May 31, 2009, 08:09:37 PM »
Or you point and click, and the door becomes a cart to help you haul your illgotten gains.
Why waste spell slots?  Besides, isn't there something like a 25% chance that the moving parts won't work?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #716 on: May 31, 2009, 08:13:27 PM »
Point and click means he's using a wand. Worst case scenario, the door's still gone.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #717 on: June 02, 2009, 06:44:28 AM »
Remember the old trick of using a spell component pouch to get the minor artifact required for Apocalypse from the Sky, since artifacts have no price listed? That was a fun one, huh?

Well, turns out that, say, a few ounces of the Tarrasque's flesh or Boccob's brain don't have listed prices either. Enter Absorb Mind and Absorb Strength, both from BoVD.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #718 on: June 02, 2009, 05:40:54 PM »
Strictly abusive, but still funny.

...Unless some illithid sourcebook somewhere has prices for brains.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #719 on: June 02, 2009, 05:43:50 PM »
...Unless some illithid sourcebook somewhere has prices for brains.

Might be in the BoVD...

EDIT: Jep, humanoid brain and yugoloth's brain are both listed (4 cp and 5 gp respectively)