Author Topic: How high can you crank an artificer's AC?  (Read 6873 times)

Runestar

• King Kong
How high can you crank an artificer's AC?
« on: October 15, 2008, 10:31:06 AM »
I know I saw either Sunic flames or Sinfire Titan boast of being able to get an artificer's AC to around 40-50 at around lv12? But I can't seem to locate said thread now. Anyone with access to the relevant info care to enlighten me? Thanks in advance.  ;)
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Re: How high can you crank an artificer's AC?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:33:31 AM »
Me. 50.

Since Artificers get all their stuff very, very cheap they can have some damn good equipment at that level.

20 Dex, Bracers + 7, and a shield spell alone is 26. Then Bite of the Werebear + Scintillating Scales = 33, then start adding Ghost Ward, +1 insight, Law Devotion... 50. And all of that is on all day except Law Devotion which is only a Swift action, and can be used 4 times a day with Cha 22 (or Cha 14 and one Nightstick, but the character was built in a ruleset that did not allow nightsticks).

About the only weakness a Persist user has is Dispel, except you can Extraordinary Spell Aim AMFs at that level to be immune. Or spellblades, or whatever. Well, there's also a better Persist user, but that goes without saying. The AMF isn't needed otherwise, as the build also has 27/24/27 saves and can reroll any natural 1 once = most stuff at that level has a 99.75% chance to fail against him.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »
You took a level of Cloistered Cleric, Sunic?

Also, don't forget the Monk's Belt and Owl's Insight :D
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 05:05:40 PM »
You took a level of Cloistered Cleric, Sunic?

Also, don't forget the Monk's Belt and Owl's Insight :D

Monk's Belt only works if you aren't wearing armor. Which means you lose out on +9 worth of special properties. I like Ghost Ward, Energy Immunity, Heavy Fortification, and Blurring myself.

This is especially true since the build had to dump stat Wisdom in order to fit into 32 PB properly. Though with Nightsticks, you could start with a lower Charisma if you don't mind lower level suck.

Yes, there was a CC dip in there. Yay domain devotions on the cheap.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 06:53:49 PM »
Monk's belt is not that awesome for Artificer's, but I love using it with Clerics and Druids. You can always get some bracers to enchant with whatever you want.

Handy Links

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 07:06:58 PM »
At higher level, there's Holy Star for a circumstance (!) bonus.

Since the RC, AMFs don't stop LoE so Extraordinary Spell Aim doesn't help. Leave some stuff to the Twice-Betrayer. ;)
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 07:10:51 PM »
I tend to use my bracers for Empyreal (enchantment to saves) my self.

MiC has a crystal of screening for 7k that makes incorporeal creatures have a -10 penalty to attack rolls that replaces Death Ward for lightly armored characters. It's cheaper in the high levels than Death Ward too.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 07:12:08 PM »
Where are those bracers from?

Handy Links

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 07:18:27 PM »
Empyreal is an armor property from the BoED IIRC.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 07:35:13 PM »
There seems to be some confusion here all around. When I mentioned +9 of special properties vs Monk's Belt I was referring to some +1 Padded Armor just to throw on special properties. You can also add up to +5 worth of stuff to Bracers of Armor. It makes them cost up to 169k (bonus squared * 1k when you have Bracers +8 with +5 of special stuff) but it's a freakin' Artificer. He can afford it.

You mean to tell me an AMF can't actually block magic (Greater Dispels) anymore?

I have no idea what you're talking about regarding the crystal of screening and Death Ward.

Oh by the way. Another fun trick is to get a +5 Eager Lucky Parrying Warning Shuriken. That's 4k, before craft reductions.

+1 insight AC (alone, cheaper than the Ioun Stone).
+1 insight all saves.
+7 initiative.
1/day free action reroll an attack roll.
+5 unnamed all saves!

Only catch is you have to hold the damn thing. Now open your Magic Item Compendium to Spare Hand. :evillaugh

Yes, it gets more insane with Polymorph (+Scintillating obviously), Holy Star (and other random bonus types), and so forth.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 07:42:24 PM »
It's a Shuriken. Hold it in the hand you are holding something else or free action draw it :P

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 07:51:38 PM »
I'm assuming a two handed weapon is being used, because why not? This is less of a grey area. Besides, it's not as if you cannot afford it. :P

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »
AMFs don't block LoE, no. If you use ESA you're out of the AMF, hence fair game.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 08:48:12 PM »
AMFs don't block LoE, no. If you use ESA you're out of the AMF, hence fair game.

What the fuck. Lame. Fine then. Spellblades, or whatever those things are called.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 08:59:48 PM »
The problem with the Spellblade enchantment is that there are too many different dispels nowadays (and you can only put one on any one weapon and you need to wield the weapon). Rings of Counterspell help but don't quite solve the difficulty. Well, I say "problem" but I'm happy persistificers can still be fucked with.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 09:00:14 PM »
The thing that I like about artificers is that they can make all these ridiculous magic items WAYY ahead of time. The thing I don't like about artificers is that they're basically a warlock who can actually craft.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 09:06:02 PM »
An Extraordinary Spell Aim'd AMF is like saying "Hi, guys. Feel free to Fireball me because your party members in melee with me are safe from the AoE. Only I will be affected."

Only the Cheater of Mystra can use the AMF as a viable shield due to the fact that you are actually casting *within* the field, not in a special pocket of non-AMF within it.

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 11:27:55 PM »
I didn't think you could target a Fireball inside an AMF...
This space intentionally left blank.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 12:09:11 AM »
You can if the other guy use ExSpellAim to leave a hole in the field so that his magic items work and he can cast spells (i.e., the 5ft cube where he is at). Since AMF does not block line of effect, you can drop a fireball in the square the AMF guy is in and it would blow him up, leave everything else within 10ft alone, and blow up everything else between 10ft and 20ft from the epicentre. Great for clearing out the enemy party while leaving your melee guys, who are in the AMF, safe from your artillery fire.

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 01:40:20 AM »
Huh. Neat. I thought AMF blocked Line of Effect, that's why.
This space intentionally left blank.