Author Topic: Best mount for a large charger?  (Read 2809 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Best mount for a large charger?
« on: October 14, 2008, 12:49:13 AM »
So, I'm working on a fun little character who's large and REALLY needs to get off the charge.  What's the best creature to be his mount, assuming I want the critter to at least be able to fly? Whatever creature it is, it needs to be purchasable.

JaronK
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 02:06:43 AM by JaronK »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Best mount for a large charger?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 03:06:10 AM »
I believe the MM has details on how to buy Roc eggs.  If so, that would make for an excellent flying mount if you couldn't just get a Dragon somehow.  Try to get rid of it's Wingover feat in favor of Improved Flight.  It's a strictly superior feat in the given circumstances.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 03:40:01 AM »
If you've got a druid or a UMD user, Animal Growth on a flying animal would also solve the issue, as would riding an elephant and giving it flying somehow.

The MMII has the warbeast template, which allows a vermin or animal to be used as a mount, and gives some excellent bonuses as well.  It also lists the price of a wartrained animal based on HD (and they are dirt cheap), so if you can find a flying animal you like (dire eagles from Races of Stone are pretty good), and can purchase an advanced version that's huge, that would work too.  A warbeast roc, for example, would cost 1,525 gold, and also have several stat bonuses as well.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 03:50:47 AM »
This is for an arena competition, and I'm a Commoner (yehaw!) so no help is coming.  But I do have Handle Animal, so Warbeast is certainly an option.  And good call on the established cost.  I'm just wondering if there's a Magical Beast I can use that might be intelligent.  I suppose I could just buy an Awaken casting.

JaronK

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 03:55:50 AM »
One of the dinosaurs (Quez-something or other) is a Huge flier, IIRC.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 04:26:52 AM »
Steelwing from MM5... Great flyer, strong stats and abilities, "free" ammunition, 15hd, and you can buy a fully trained one for 30k.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 06:57:33 AM »
Thanks, I'll look into it, but DAMN that's expensive.  Right now I'm using an Awakened Magebreed Warbeast Roc, which weighs in at 4600gp.  Tough, strong, and certainly useful.  In theory it can grapple casters, it hits really hard, and it'll deliver the character.  Not that I expect to beat casters with my Commoner, but hey, I have to try.

JaronK

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 04:12:17 PM »
The Steelwing eggs are 10k, and I think it's something like a DC 30 to train them yourself.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 05:32:19 PM »
Well, I've got the Handle Animal for it at least.  It's till twice as much as an Awakened Magebreed Warbeast Roc (and that means if I wanted a Magebreed Steelwing it would be four times as much, plus the cost of Awakening) but it's at least in my budget.

JaronK

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 05:43:19 PM »
I got excited for you because Spider Eaters are huge fliers from the 3.0 MM1 that are dirt cheap...but when I checked the 3.5 SRD, they were brought down to large =(

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 06:05:07 PM »
Drat.  Thanks though!

I'm still having a lot of fun with the idea of competing a commoner against the big boys.  I'm really sad that the rules of the competition don't allow for the Commoner only feats (they're dragon only).  But c'est la vie, I didn't really have room for Quickdraw anyway.

JaronK

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 06:43:32 PM »
Dire Rhinoceros?
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »
An advanced Griffon is Huge, I think.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 06:46:58 PM »
Huge Air Elemental would be nice if you had a way to control it. I'm pretty sure there is a feat or something that lets you sit inside an elemental.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 06:52:05 PM »
Vendor comes by selling Rings of Feather Fall ;)
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.