Author Topic: Robilar's + spiked Chain. Suggestions?  (Read 2576 times)

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
Robilar's + spiked Chain. Suggestions?
« on: October 13, 2008, 11:26:05 PM »

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: Robilar's + spiked Chain. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 11:36:06 PM »
Prevents 6 to 1?  Never!  Kusari Gamas are your friend.

JaronK

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 11:58:48 PM »
Aptitude won't work with High Sword Low Axe, I think.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:07:42 AM »
Aptitude won't work with High Sword Low Axe, I think.

There was a thread in the WotC board that discussed the Aptitude ability.... and I remember it works with style feats (mainly because of dul wielding Kukri going Lightning Mace route...)

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:11:36 AM »
At the risk of sounding ignorant, doesn't the tripper/controller build sort of make the Jack B. Quick schtick pointless? If people are constantly tripped, they don't really get a chance to attack you. Granted, if they do attack you, they'll regret it.

Also, what/where could I look up Caver?
This space intentionally left blank.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 12:36:56 AM »
There was a thread in the WotC board that discussed the Aptitude ability.... and I remember it works with style feats (mainly because of dul wielding Kukri going Lightning Mace route...)
It only apply if the feat specifies one (type of) weapon, no ? HSLA specifies 2.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 03:19:04 AM »
At the risk of sounding ignorant, doesn't the tripper/controller build sort of make the Jack B. Quick schtick pointless? If people are constantly tripped, they don't really get a chance to attack you. Granted, if they do attack you, they'll regret it.

Also, what/where could I look up Caver?

Caver is from Drow of the Underdark.  It's 4th level ability (Proficiency with the spiked chain and treat it as 1h weapon) is the only one worth noticing, IMHO.

The build is actually a mobility-centric one.  It can enlarge self itself 1/day (more with pearls of power), and use that large threaten area to generate AoO's that allow it to shift position using Sidestep, quite possibly getting out of reach in the middle of an enemy attack action.  It's meant to shift position in mid attack to spoil enemies attack sequences and make them waste their full attack actions.  It also has travel devotion to get into a good position.   Plus, Pursue, which prevents enemies from getting away from you with 5-foot steps- you automatically follow, and still get that AoO from thicket of blades.  So you can either run from stronger enemies mid-action, or pursue weaker ones to keep up the pressure.

I probably should dump some of that ranger for more Fighter to get more feats.  I meant to have Hold the Line as well, which, combined with sidestep, can really ruin a charge.  Standstill might be nice too, it would help prevent withdraw actions from working.  And mageslayer might also be good idea... Do you still have minimum CL1 if you take mageslayer?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 06:13:47 AM »
No, you don't.

I'll have to check out Caver.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 11:12:06 AM »