Author Topic: Uber's Tiers  (Read 62060 times)

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
Re: Uber's Tiers
« Reply #161 on: October 16, 2008, 05:09:42 AM »
Quote from: Ubernoob
target audience

Target audience is all good and fine, but quite frankly, you make it sound like your target audience has features like this:

They don't know the basic mechanics of the classes. I.e. they could make a pathetically weak wizard or druid. In this kind of group the strongest character is quite often a Barbarian, because with fools luck the barb player will use THF. I really gaped in my first D&D game ever, when the barb did an attack for 30 damage at Lvl 6 or so, while I was doing 1d8+2.

They don't know what's broken and what's not. Leadership is a core feat that is merely disallowed by DMs because it gives one player too much screen time. However, lots of people DO allow Leadership. Leadership is also not broken, it just gives too much screen time. If everybody got Leadership then it's not a strong feat, unless you make a strong cohort. Likewise, Polymorph et al. aren't nearly as strong on a bunch of noobs, because they just don't know all the critters they could be. So Polymorph with noobs isn't nearly broken, and they won't perceive it as such. In fact, to come back to my first druid I ever played, when I first tried Wildshape I found it quite weak. I even had it houseruled to make it stronger. The main reason being my DM didn't want me to scour five monster manuals for good forms, he was already unhappy that I kept reading the MM1.

Neither the DM nor the players of said knowledge level will read about D&D on the fucking internet. WHO will read the tiers?

IMHO any tier system will only work if you assume a minimum of knowledge:

You know which feats are good and which feats suck, and have a good selection of sources (specifically excluding Dragon mag)
You know which feats promote the mechanic of the class you chose
You know how skills work, and how to make them work towards your goals (and how to get them via items)
You can see plain as day combos like DMM
And finally, you know which mechanics are strong and which are weak. SO many people still play blasting wizards. SO many people are still trapped by the oh-so-awesome power of two-weapon fighting on a fighter. So many people think a cleric's job is combat healing.

DMs for players who know something about the game, but not enough to fully optimise, need tiers to understand how to make a homogenous group. On the other hand - you can't force people to play stronger characters. You can only advise them.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2008, 05:18:57 AM »
Wasting my fucking time.
JaronK, please tell me what you don't understand about target audience before you reply to anything else in this thread.  At this point I'm insulted that you still don't get it.  It's like you aren't even reading what I've written.

Is your pride that big that you can't ask for clarification?
Quote from: Ubernoob
target audience
Neither the DM nor the players of said knowledge level will read about D&D on the fucking internet. WHO will read the tiers?
Bam!  Someone finally understood why Tier systems are completely fucking worthless.  Thanks for uncovering the next layer of my instruction.  +Fu for catching that.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

fliprushman

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: October 16, 2008, 05:20:27 AM »
Ok this thread just makes my head hurt now.   :wall  Why are we not discussing Tiers?  OH that's right, Brainpiercing hit it right on the head.  SO please can we discuss something else?
Blah!

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #164 on: October 16, 2008, 05:25:19 AM »
Yeah, I'm getting really thrown by this target audience thing too.  The target audience doesn't know what feats are available (they don't know about FoI, despite playing a Factotum which means they have to be looking at some pretty obscure sources already), they haven't read any handbooks, and yet they can play Artificers as Tier 1?  Heck, that class requires more scouring of oddball sources than any!  It sounds like this is only designed for really non optimized players, except for the Tier 1 guys who are played as though they understand their available class.

In unoptimized games without people who've read handbooks and things, I've definitely seen what Brain describes... melees being dominant because casters don't know their spells.  Certainly, in such games which have the added bit that out of combat stuff is all diceless RP the melees are dominant... skillmonkeys become mostly pointless except for the occasional trap or lockpicked door, casters are pathetic because they don't know what spells to use, while melees just smash stuff REALLY hard and since combat is all the matters for your mechanics in such games, melees rock.  That's what happened with my Half Dragon Fighter/Cleric, by the way... he just hit stuff hard.  I barely cast spells, except to heal party members after the fight.  That group, in case you're wondering, included a Gnome Cleric, a Human Druid, a Halfling Rogue, and me as the Half Orc Half Dragon Fighter/Cleric.  And yes, the multiclass caster/melee with no good feats was the dominant one because only melee damage mattered in a game like that.

So, that seems to be your target audience... in which case this thing is set up backwards.  Barbarians should be at the top, with Artificers near the bottom.

So pick your audience... is it people who know their class and have seen what's online, or people who have no clue about what's available to them?

Note: my tier thread assumes you know your class because you do in fact look at the internet.  As such, it has a point.

JaronK

Psychic Robot

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2008, 05:25:45 AM »
Random comment: first-level characters PROBABLY die in one hit.  Not always.  Usually.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2008, 05:27:23 AM »
Bam!  Someone finally understood why Tier systems are completely fucking worthless.  Thanks for uncovering the next layer of my instruction.  +Fu for catching that.

That was the point of this?  You made a Tier thread that makes a bunch of weird assumptions because you don't understand the worth of Tier threads (you think they're worthless, so you must not get their worth), so as to prove that your version of tier threads are worthless?  What the heck?  Stop wasting everyone's time!

In fact, to rephrase: you made a post you believed to be worthless soley to create arguement.  Then you ran around insulting people in that thread.  That's called trolling.  Cut it out.

And yes, Psychic, that was the point.  There's a big difference between always and most of the time.  Also, it's not actually die, it's go to dying... which is a big difference when healing is available.

JaronK
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 05:30:53 AM by JaronK »

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2008, 05:32:22 AM »

That was the point of this?  You made a Tier thread that makes a bunch of weird assumptions because you don't understand the worth of Tier threads (you think they're worthless, so you must not get their worth), so as to prove that your version of tier threads are worthless?  What the heck?  Stop wasting everyone's time!

And yes, Psychic, that was the point.  There's a big difference between always and most of the time.  Also, it's not actually die, it's go to dying... which is a big difference when healing is available.

JaronK
I made my thread because your thread had the information wrong.  If you're going to do math for fun at least get the right answer.  I don't like to see people spread misinformation.  Plus, my thread works with optimization as well.  You just bump each class up a tier.  That, and the fact that you throw around TO stuff all the time for real game discussions really irks me.

Basically, you posted something incorrect and instead of trying to persuade you (too closed minded) I simply tossed up the correct answer in ten minutes.  The whole idea of tier systems is still purely mental exercise though.

As for wasting time, have you read your posts for your reasoning?  Seriously, mass combat?  Without using HoB rules?  What are you smoking?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2008, 05:53:26 AM »
What makes you think I wasn't using HoB rules?  Where did you get that idea?  Again, you assume and hit far wide of the mark.  Heck, there's another reason Bards are great for larger battles... they get as class skills most of the skills that give you Strategic Advantages (all Knowledge Skills, Gather Information, etc), not to mention the Diplomacy bit.

So, basically, you didn't like the Tiers as I listed them, so you make your own hacked together version, which doesn't even work because the target audience doesn't make sense, but you fully admit that you don't see the value in such threads, so you were trolling?  Right.

You call me close minded, but meanwhile you've sat there refusing to even consider statements that run counter to your ideas, even when presented with direct facts (such as the PCs in the population issue).  Personally, I actually did revise my tiers over time (I moved the PW up to Tier 3, for example, after Midnight made some good arguements for it).  But that requires being able to debate properly, which means being able to consider all options and revise your position upon hearing data. 

So yes, I do listen to information, but it has to be correct.  So far, you've been wrong many times in this thread, and tried to cover it up with insults and non sequitters (such as claiming Leadership is TO in response to my evidence regarding PC classes being found in the general population).

Meanwhile, what TO stuff have I thrown around for real game discussions?  I talked about Diplomacy, but only to make allies out of people who might join you anyway (I only talked about full Diplomancers in response to the claim that a level 1 Expert could just instantly befriend a dragon, which was nonsense UNLESS you were using TO builds) and to boost already friendly troops to being fanatics, which is hardly TO.  I've talked about using Dragonfire Inspiration on a Bard... hardly TO.   And no, Leadership is not theoretical ops.  It's a decent feat, sometimes banned (but hey, I've seen Druids banned more often than Leadership, at least when the ban was for power reasons), but hardly TO.

So here's a thought: try actually reading what I'm writing (not what you want me to have written, such as that I play only heavily optimized characters and don't use Heroes of Battle, which by the way suggests that most armies are made primarily of NPC classes but doesn't state that they all are).  So far, you've been very far off, while I've written everything you've written... including your admission that you made this thread to troll, and evidently as a direct attack against my thread... how mature.

And no, your thread doesn't work at all with optimization.  You think any optimization of anyone but a Tier 1 class is TO.  Factotums taking multiples of a feat designed to be taken multiple times, which is the only Factotum only feat?  TO.  Bards pumping up their musical abilities?  TO.  Leadership?  TO.  Alter Self?  TO.  Meanwhile, Wizards are Tier 1 because... evidently their broken stuff is not, in fact, TO.  Except for all the broken stuff that Factotums, who cast off the same list (lower level of course), get too.  That's TO.  The fact is, an optimized Factotum blows an optimized Fighter out of the Water in all sorts of ways (especially out of combat), but you claimed that A) they're the same power ranking and B) Factotums are one trick ponies that can't switch roles. 

Come on man, you just want to argue.  Why else would you have switched your arguements so many times?  Why would you have switched what a CR 20 opponent is in the same post (from CR 20 PC classed characters to CR 20 Monster Manual opponents... then you later claimed PC class characters that aren't PCs don't exist!)?  Why would you have claimed that Fighters can use social skills out of combat without using rolls, after having previously claiming that such behavior is basically playing Magical Tea Party?    And why would you make a thread that you yourself acknowledge you think is worthless?  That behavior smacks of someone who just wants to argue, not someone who wants to learn or debate or understand or teach.  And you know what we call that?

I'll give you a hint: you're supposed to use fire and acid damage against it.

By the way, here's a how a good poster, a non troll, deals with your situation.

First, he looks at my Tiers thread and says "no, I disagree."  Then he posts why.  We debate back and forth, and hopefully he brings up good points.  If he's not convinced and decides that he's not making any headway, but also he doesn't see the value in that type of thread at all, he leaves, and stops posting there.

This is what I mostly did with Treantmonk's Necromancy spells guide.  I looked, and disagreed on many points, such as his ranking of Plague of Undead as a bad spell.  I said it was great... cast the spell on Monday and pay a piddling cost, and on Tuesday the only cost to you is 100gp, but now you have a bunch of roadblock minions.  Are they great?  Far from it.  But the value gained is much higher than the cost, and it doesn't even cost you a spell slot after the first casting day, so that's awesome.  He disagreed.  We argued back and forth a bit, and I realized he wasn't going to change his mind and I wasn't going to change mine, and that's that.  His Necromancy thread is not really for me, and I don't really care too much about threads designed only for that specific playstyle of Wizard anyway.  Okay, done.

What I did not do is slap together in ten minutes a cheap hack version of his thread, giving JaronK's Guide to Necromancy for God Wizards, in which I posted what I thought the value of these spells ought to be for a God style Wizard despite never having played one, and then argue with people who had actually played that way and told them that their way was wrong.  I did not make such a guide assuming everyone played by my house rules.  I did not insult people who disagreed with me, nor make Ad Hominem attacks based on assumptions I had no right (nor evidence!) to make.  I did not shift my arguements in the face of facts to try and prove myself right in spite of said facts by simply pretending they did not exist.  I did not ignore valid factual data and instead tell people that every D&D world was set up like mine, despite the fact that mine bears little resemblance to the DMG given world.

But I'm not a troll.  Is calling you a troll Ad Hominem?  No, because it's not a logical failure to tell you that when you make a trolling thread, as you have admitted to doing, that you're a troll.  So here's a thought: stop trolling, stop bragging about how very smart you are, stop arguing against strawmen and assuming the people you're debating are saying the stupid things you want them to say instead of what they're actually saying, stop making ad hominems, and start becoming a decent poster... and start reading!

THEN make a thread that's designed to give out useful information.  That's what these forums are for... giving out and recieving useful information.  This thread was clearly designed to do the opposite.  At least when I made mine I was perfectly honest about who it was for, why it was there, and where I got my opinions.

JaronK
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:07:59 AM by JaronK »

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2008, 06:08:02 AM »
TL DR.  Get to the point, because I just see a lot of rambling.  I can go into more detail on how and why each class does with or without optimization if you really want.  It's pretty straightforward to myself, the people I talk to regularly at BG (Tshern, Sin, Sunic) and all the denners.  Just give me a day or two.  Thursdays are busy for me.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #170 on: October 16, 2008, 06:11:02 AM »
Heh, I just accused you of refusing to read anything that proves you wrong and just making assumptions instead because you're really just trolling.

Your response?  "I didn't read that."

Well played.  Thanks, point proved I'd say.

JaronK

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: October 16, 2008, 06:12:54 AM »
Heh, I just accused you of refusing to read anything that proves you wrong and just making assumptions instead because you're really just trolling.

Your response?  "I didn't read that."

Well played.  Thanks, point proved I'd say.

JaronK
Missed the point.  I read it all, but it was off topic enough that it didn't warrant reading.  Get to the point and I'll actually reply.

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2008, 06:15:09 AM »
Random comment: first-level characters PROBABLY die in one hit.  Not always.  Usually.

It's true, they do.

Housecats, etc.

I mean seriously, untrained goblins and kobolds pose actual threats. That's sad.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2008, 06:17:40 AM »
Missed the point.  I read it all, but it was off topic enough that it didn't warrant reading.  Get to the point and I'll actually reply.

So, you lied outright when you said you didn't read it (which is what TL DR means!)?  Yeah, troll.

I figured you'd read it and just had no response, and as usual dodged.  Every time you're proved wrong, you just pretend it didn't happen.  Your PCs comment proved wrong?  Non sequitter about Leadership.  The fact that you're trolling proved?  TL DR.  

So now you say you'll answer questions about what class is what Tier... after having stated you don't believe Tier threads have a point anyway.  So if it's pointless, why start the thread, and if you don't get the point, why does your opinion matter?  You clearly don't get it.

And what is your target audience?  Clarify that one.  It's been asked a few times but you can't seem to nail it down.  So far all we've got is it's people who don't read Tier threads or Handbooks and don't read about their classes anywhere.  Without knowing that, well, your thread is as worthless as you claim it is.

JaronK

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: October 16, 2008, 06:36:20 AM »

So, you lied outright when you said you didn't read it (which is what TL DR means!)?  Yeah, troll.
It worked, didn't it?  You made a fail post and I saved myself some time.  Mission accomplished.

What's really funny is how you're calling me a troll though.
http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html
I'm breaking ALL of the trolling rules.  If I'm a troll then I'm a very poor one.
Quote from: JaronK
I figured you'd read it and just had no response, and as usual dodged.  Every time you're proved wrong, you just pretend it didn't happen.  Your PCs comment proved wrong?  Non sequitter about Leadership.  The fact that you're trolling proved?  TL DR.  

So now you say you'll answer questions about what class is what Tier... after having stated you don't believe Tier threads have a point anyway.  So if it's pointless, why start the thread, and if you don't get the point, why does your opinion matter?  You clearly don't get it.

And what is your target audience?  Clarify that one.  It's been asked a few times but you can't seem to nail it down.  So far all we've got is it's people who don't read Tier threads or Handbooks and don't read about their classes anywhere.  Without knowing that, well, your thread is as worthless as you claim it is.

JaronK
The fact that your examples fail is very interesting juxtapostion with how Omen was able to convince me with less than 5 posts.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2008, 09:50:30 AM »
 :rolleyes
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2008, 11:31:02 AM »
This thread is sad :/
If i could i would delete it from my mind and the forum's database :P
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2008, 12:13:22 PM »
This thread is sad :/
If i could i would delete it from my mind and the forum's database :P
The first couple of pages were really good.  Right up until we started getting armies of crusaders and bards not on the battlefield.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: October 16, 2008, 01:42:54 PM »
Kael:  Your arguements are trash, and I've slammed them left right and center.  Armies of Fiendish Centipedes?  You still haven't explained where you got them, or how that makes any sense.

It was an offhand comment designed to show how silly your assembling an army is. Of course, since fiendish centipedes are callable, trainable, and summonable, the fact that some guy in Baator wasted his time making an army of them is pretty comparable to some guy wasting his time traveling around diploing a bunch of crusaders.

Casting not Ex?  That ignores MMV as well as CustServe (the latter is forgivable), as well as the page in the PHB that defines what various abilities are (from that page, casting is not Su, because Spell Resistance applies, it's not Sp because component costs exist, and it's not natural because only purely physical traits are natural. Since all abilities must be one of the four, it's Ex.  Basic logic).

Only "purely physical" traits are natural? Really, because that seems to be complete bullshit that you made up, since natural abilities are defined as abilities inherent to the particular creature that are not Ex/Su/Sp, such as a Solar's casting. The thing is that unlike you, I recognize that their are two contradictory statements regarding this definition (MM and PHB) and therefore do not assume that the one I want is true, but recognize that most DMs are going to use the MM definition, since you are using a creature in the MM and they don't want you to completely rape clerics after level 7.

Shapechange doesn't give you time to memorize spells?  It's 10 minutes per level, which means a 17th level sorcerer has at minimum nearly 3 hours of Cleric casting, plenty of time to memorize (from within a Rope Trick) and then rock out, plus a Greater Metamagic Rod of Extend makes that last long enough for many adventuring days (especially if he has a few caster level boosters at this point, and who doesn't?).  So seriously, what arguement of yours have I not taken down?

That's great, you can pretend that you have Cleric casting, but that completely negates your argument that the very next round you can get Wizard casting. If you change form, you lose all those spells, so unless you give up one of the primary benefits of Shapechange (free action shifts to appropriate forms) you would not be able to use spells.

Now assuming your DM treats casting as an Ex ability, you do realize that polymorph actually removes your own Ex abilities when you shift right? And in fact, so does Wildshape. I guess any Druid that takes Natural Spell is actually an idiot to you? Or did you not consider that when you were trying as hard as possible to make Shapechange even more retardedly awesome then it already is.

You're right though, the Astral Deva was yet another random monster that makes no sense that you just brought in.  I assumed when you said an Astral Deva was fighting the army that you were talking about someone you'd already mentioned turning into one, but no, evidently my army must go up against Fiendish Centipedes and Astral Devas for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

The Astral Deva and Fiendish Centipedes were both examples of equivalent challenges for that army. It's not my fault you hide as much information about your examples as possible so you can gotcha people later. "HAHA, you may be warriors, but my army of 4000 people is made entirely of Crusaders for no reason! Gotcha!" I just presented some likely challenges that are supposedly equivalent but that would easily crush you.

It was an army battle!  Why are you bringing out random monsters?

Offhand, I'd say because random monsters make up a large part of the world, and giant armies of low level PCs rarely have the /avoid command open to them when confronted by something. So if you march your army past a Glabrezu, you better expect that he'll run around spamming Confusion on you and laughing.

And by the way, the Astral Deva that you claim is equal to the whole army could easily get shot down by archers... 16 archers with Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, and Cooperative Archery (which was the standard units I was using) plus the Bardic and Marshal support can do a LOT of damage, and that's just one unit.

Well that sound excellent. Are they all going to attack random squares since the can't see anything? How well are they going to do when the surprise round involves an 80ft circle of death appearing in the middle of them? I imagine that might disrupt coordinated archery at empty squares in the hopes of hitting things. And God forbid what if your bards are included in that death circle.

Now because you keep being a whiny petulant bitch about how your all Crusader army makes perfect sense in all your other posts without addressing my points at all, I am going to shred your argument to pieces.

1) Crusaders are more like Paladins then Clerics.

2) So a Metropolis has X number of people. This includes Y number of Clerics, Z number of Fighters, ect.

3) You argument is that it would have Y number of Crusaders, since they are similar to Clerics.

4) Let's apply this logic across the board.

There are X people. Let's say Y is 1% of X, and that Z is 2% of X, I don't have my book, so feel free to fill in the actual numbers and prove me right.

X=N(non-fighter non-clerics) + Y + Z

Crusaders are like Clerics.
Warblades are like Fighters.
Swashbucklers are like Fighters.
Hexblades are like Fighters.
Duskblades are like Wizards.
Beguilers are like Rogues.
Factotums are like Rogues.
Favored Souls are like Clerics (or Sorcerers).
Dread Necros are like Sorcerers.
Wu Jen are like Wizards.
Archivists are like Wizards.
ect.

See where I'm going with this?

If the actual population of a city in the DMG is based on the following assumption:

X(total)= N(NPC classes) + W (Wizards) + C (Clerics) + S (Sorcerer) + R (Rogues) + F (Fighters).

These numbers add up correctly. However, if every city has the same number of Crusaders and Clerics, and that number is the number in the DMG, not half that number, then You instead have:

X(total)= N + 12W +7C +4S +6R +32F

If the DMG doesn't define the number of NPC classes, then you can push that number smaller and smaller, but eventually, anyone sensible (IE not you) will accept that having more level 1 Fighter classes then Commoners renders the statistics meaningless.

So the correct way to determine the number of any given class in a city, is to take the DMG numbers and divide them by the number of classes that would be classified under that category. So for Crusaders, assuming you shunt as many classes toward Wizard and Sorcerer and away from Cleric in order to maximize the number of Crusaders, you end up with at most 9 level 1 Crusaders in the largest metropolis, Large Towns might have 1, if you don't give some priority to Clerics, who are probably more likely, seeing as large towns should probably have Clerics for at least a couple of deities.

In conclusion, take your all Crusader army trash elsewhere, and burn up your I found 60 guys who all had this exact feat set up, especially this really obscure fighter sub level, sheet. And try to actually run an army that has to fight a Dragon. And remember to take those huge penalties to Leadership for losing a Cohort and a few hundred followers every other day.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 01:45:56 PM by Kaelik »