Author Topic: How unprepaired are you for the impending zombie apocalypse?  (Read 31593 times)

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
Re: How unprepaired are you for the impending zombie apocalypse?
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2008, 04:56:57 PM »
On my honor, I will do my best, to do my duty...
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2008, 05:30:14 PM »
...to SorO_Lost & my country.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2008, 05:49:29 AM »

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2008, 12:14:36 PM »
http://zombietools.net/

people will take advantage of anything to make a buck

That's the best site since villainsupply. Why wasn't I informed of its existence until now?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2008, 12:57:15 PM »
http://zombietools.net/

people will take advantage of anything to make a buck

That's the best site since villainsupply. Why wasn't I informed of its existence until now?
People are apparently a bit concerned about what you might do with those 'tools'.   ;)  That, or they're getting prepared for you to be the first wave of the Great Zombie Menace.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2008, 05:50:53 PM »
That, or they're getting prepared for you to be the first wave of the Great Zombie Menace.

Well, I can understand that. My 37th plan is the one where I knowingly infect myself with the zombie virus, just so that I can devour <insert archnemesis here>!

Totally not stolen from Sarge
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2008, 01:23:58 AM »
Are those blade for real?  Because they're pretty sweet.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2008, 01:00:04 AM »
There's not any chance you guys could swing by Brazil, is there?

Then again, I might as well just grab a boat and keep moving around the coast. They should be fairly easy to use around here, considering I live in a city with a harbor as well as an airport.

Which reminds me, the airport would be my first stop to grab a real sword, since my other weapons are wooden and likely wouldn't last long.

The truth is, if the zombie apocalypse applies to animals too, we're screwed. One mosquito bite and you're zombified!
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:24:04 AM by bhu »

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2008, 03:44:49 AM »
I'd say I'm moderately prepared.
- Second floor apartment with a decently strong door.  (not great, but should be sufficient provided they don't use axes, chainsaws, or battering rams).
- My wife and I have been assembling an emergency kit with non-perishable foods, first aid stuff, etc...
- I have a way in and out of the apartment that can only be achieved by those proficient in rock climbing and/or parkour (AKA me).  Unless they turn out to be like 28 Days Later or Dawn of the Dead remake type zombies, it should be safe.
- One major problem: no guns in Japan.  Unless I can make my way to a local police box and raid their supplies, I'm likely going to have to rely on melee weaponry such as my wooden practice sword (bokuto, or bokken for you gaijin ;)).

I thought we agreed: PEI?  it's an island, and we can blow the bridge while remaining in contact with the rest of the world (electronics, boats) and it's big enough to support a self-contained ecosystem, yet small enough that the zombie outbreak will not affect it much, if at all.  It can be contained quickly, you see (only one bridge).  If that island falls, Alaska is where we go next, followed by Siberia.

Zombies don't need to breathe!  Islands are a false hope!  They don't need bridges because they can just walk across the sea floor!
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2008, 12:47:50 PM »
Unless I can make my way to a local police box and raid their supplies, I'm likely going to have to rely on melee weaponry such as my wooden practice sword (bokuto, or bokken for you gaijin ).

Likewise here.

For the last time, though... BOTH bokuto and bokken are correct readings for the same thing regardless if you're Japanese, American, Mexican or a parrot with diarrhea.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2008, 02:15:15 PM »
Islands are not entirely a false hope. It becomes difficult for the undead to traverse ocean distances, and the pressure would pulp them, if the current doesn't deter their progress. Also it is hard to tell what's on the surface if you are a couple of hundred feet under water. Boats are a little bit better, but I still prefer the stick and move theory.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2008, 04:03:25 PM »
Islands are not entirely a false hope. It becomes difficult for the undead to traverse ocean distances, and the pressure would pulp them, if the current doesn't deter their progress. Also it is hard to tell what's on the surface if you are a couple of hundred feet under water. Boats are a little bit better, but I still prefer the stick and move theory.

Two words... Zombie Sharks.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2008, 11:41:54 PM »
Unless I can make my way to a local police box and raid their supplies, I'm likely going to have to rely on melee weaponry such as my wooden practice sword (bokuto, or bokken for you gaijin ).

Likewise here.

For the last time, though... BOTH bokuto and bokken are correct readings for the same thing regardless if you're Japanese, American, Mexican or a parrot with diarrhea.

That's why people in Japan look at me with a confused expression when I say "bokken", right?
PbP Games

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2008, 09:53:40 AM »
Well, it could be "A gaijin is using our language?!" ;)
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2008, 10:34:22 AM »

this is a serious zombology discussion and I'll thank you to take this kind of silliness elsewhere.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2008, 11:42:10 AM »
this is a serious zombology discussion and I'll thank you to take this kind of silliness elsewhere.
Yeah. What, do human zombies go around biting sharks? ;)
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2008, 12:50:16 PM »
That's why people in Japan look at me with a confused expression when I say "bokken", right?

Nah, it's mostly because saying "bokutou" is easier on them. Technically, you aren't wrong per se, but usually the rules for stringing kanji together result in "bokutou" as a reading.

Yeah. What, do human zombies go around biting sharks?

Sharks go after stuff that bleed. Zombies bleed. Eating zombie flesh = zombiefication. The result is Zombie Sharks.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2008, 11:10:56 PM »

I'll take it you never saw the Italian movies "Zombie" and "Zombie 2".  The underwater fight between a shark and a zombie (witnessed by an inexplicably topless scuba diver) was excellent!
PbP Games

Judging Eagle

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2008, 03:03:44 AM »
One other important supply we've been neglecting:  Women.  We're bringing guns and books and dice, but don't forget your women.

Are they compatible with 3.5e?

I know at least.... 7 that are. Trust me, if we retards can roll a dice, make marks on paper with a pencil, speak and occasionally erase a mark on paper; then I'm pretty that a woman could as well.

Besides, when there's no TV, Radio, new books or plays being put on; playing "Reconstruction and Logisitics" is probably going to be a fun game to play.

================

My own situation....

I'm high up

I live in the 11 floor of a condiminium that is pretty much full of old or retired people; most are pretty frail, there's a marine here, but he's got white hair and a hell of a paunch; he likes me even though I look like a damned dirty hippy now (on the other hand, my family has been living here much longer than he has, so I've got the "societal" benefit of "seniorty in a location"; more than 15 years of being a good kid tends to colour people's attitudes in your favour).

The field of view from where I live is massive.

On a clear day I can see across lake Ontario out and across to the US border; on a less clear day I can see as far along the coastline to St.Catherines. Along the coastline I can see as far out as toronto with the naked eye (and even pick out the CN tower and skydome; and pick out much more using a pair of binoculars or a cheap telescope).

Almost all the terrain around my building is lightly treed suburbs, so there are not many things to obscure field of view inland. There's a pile of strip malls and wide roads that congretate near where my building is, so it's hard to sneak up to the building thanks to the roughlyt 200-500 metres radius of asphalted terrain starting from the base of my building. In some places the asphalt and grassy park land goes out further, hence the variations in area of "killing ground" (ie. any terrain without cover from view or attack) from the base of my building to true cover.

My building is built like a prison

Old retired folks tend to be skittish about their safety. Even in a city so safe that I could wander around at any time of the night and not have to actually worry for my safety. I usually do worry, but that's b/c I'm a paranoid person. As a result this building is made up of cement, cindeblocks, very solid apartment doors (they're not heavy due to very good hinges, but they're decidely thick) and even more solid metal internal doors.

The only big problem is that there are a lot of ground floor windows. The 1st floor apartments here open up to the outside, the exercise area has glass windows, and the party room has a glass patio door. The lobby entrance door is glass as well, and there's a back entrance that is also glass.

So, internally the place is pretty solid; but there are some pretty big liabilities to a siege.

Of course, if zombies don't know that they can break glass, then it's fine.

The real problem is looters that do know that they can. So boarding up the 1st floor windows or simply blocking the doors (I'm at a loss for anything save actually bricking shut a door as a method to seal an apartment door from the hallway side).

I've been in scouts

Really, being in scouts is just the start. I've been camping, in some of the worst weather (tents in -40*C (-40*F for you Amerks)); I've hiked for kilometres through pouring rain with a backpack; I've hiked for kilometres and kilometres;

Weapons

I've built my own sword, built other weapons and rebuilt several knives so that they were something that I'd actually trust.

The first involved finding a blank, then pretty much just grinding it before building the handle and attaching it. It's not pretty, but if I go for a joint, the person hit will be feeling it. If I strike and mean it, then their tendons will be fucked until they die. Joints of creatures and machines are remarkabley fragile (ex. the human knee breaks with 15 lbs of force; kneecapping is actually exactly that, you have broken the person's kneecap away from their thigh and central shinbone). Different materials will (obviously) give you different results, and while an aluminum  blank may seem like it will suck, you have to remember that it's going to be able to move much faster than a steel or iron one would.

The others were made in a variety of fashions; from concealable clubs made from pressure-treated dowelling (veruh essuh tew maek) to what are essentially blunt wooden swords (get 2x4 of something dense, like oak or maple, cut out a handle near the base; liberally use a sander or angle grinder along the surface of the length of wood to remove all the corners that you can, then cover this handle in cloth tape until it's comfortable.

The knives are retired knives that have had a grinding stone liberally applied to them.

I know when I can trust if a tool is mechanically sound or not; I've got some combat knives that I love to use, but don't trust (tang integrity issues); while I've got other knives that I trust, but I'm not so keen on using (hand balance issues).

Then there's the tool chest with 1" size wrenches, crowbars, dowelling long enough to count as polearm length and a machete.

Fighting

A lot of what I know is from my little brother who's very reluctant to teach krav maga, despite his previous instructor's insistance (and statement that my brother could ease his way up by beign given an instructor's black belt and teach karate before teaching krav maga). Mixed in with some knife fighting and research into how sword fighting works (specifically non-sheild sword figthing) and a personal interest in sambo (whose focus on joint attacking tends to colour most of my other fighting; I focus on joints, groin locations (neck, armpit, groin) and sensitive high nerve areas like the hands, feet and face) have been my largest influences.

I'm not a really big fan of grappling, partly b/c I'm not that good at it and partly b/c it doesn't usually give you a win.

Shooting

The first time I've attempted nearly anything in terms of "shooting" I tend to go 4/5 or 8/10; rifle sniping; clay pidgeon shooting with a shotgun; firing a tiny cannon on a bipod (aka, the .306 rifle that makes even the 300 lb person that owns it shake when he fires it and gives his shoulder a wonderful purple complexion if he hasn't placed a sweater around the butt of the rifle to cushion the kickback); firing a handgun. I don't have any experience with submachine guns or any type of automatic weapon, but I'm sure that I could pick it up.

Let's not forget Archery. I love that sport. I don't practise it enough, but it's really a lot of fun.

Psychology

I'm damned near impossible to tempt. Sex, food, drugs, booze or shiny things won't lure me away from something that I'm already doing that needs to get done. On the other hand, when I'm in hyper-attentive mode, I will notice all of those things.

The more intense a situation is, the calmer I get and on more than one occasion I've been the only cool head when something goes wrong; usually I end up fixing what went wrong and I'm almost never the cause of what went wrong.

Isolation barely affects me, and having to beat the shit out of someone who used to be someone that I knew and cared for when they were alive is something that I could visualize myself doing.

Biology

I've got no allergies or long-term diseases.

My vision is terrible without fairly strong glasses. My prescription is +7 or so in one eye, +7.5 in the other. for an example of where this falls in terms of prescription strength, this prescription is not within the scope of most contact lenses (the go as far as +6 before you need to order specialized contacts; I only wear glasses, and the lenses cost nearly as much as the frames).

On the other hand, I've got pretty good visual acuity and I can pick out things that I'm looking for pretty good (the joke in my gaming group is that I've sunk a lot of ranks into Search; except it's not a joke, it's a method of slowly scanning back and forth starting at one side and working your way to the other; it seems slow, but it works).

I'm lean as hell now and I have to stop b/c I'm thirsty when running, not b/c my lungs are burning or my legs are tired from lactic acid buildup. This is partly due to weight training, and partly a change in breathing technique.

I'd like to think that I'm strong, but really I'm more dexterous than strong. I tend to walk through crowds of people and I only take stairs two at a time, because taking them three or four at a time is actually slower for me than taking them by twos very quickly.

I'm pretty damned tough; cold and heat don't really stop me, rain doesn't make my uncomfortable. Plus I've got guts that can digest things that in retrospect could have made me pretty ill (a human tasmanian devil really), and most illnesses don't affect me that hard.

I do however stress out pretty badly, but that's mostly deadlines and such. Punctuating long periods of boredom with brief periods of terror would probably be pretty easy to deal with.

Tactics

I've read.... a lot on tactics in my life time, but really Sun Tzu's the art of war is the most succint package that anyone could hope to have.

Basically distilled it's this:

1. You must be fair with those who work with you, to a fault
2. Deception is the key to victory
3. Choose the location of every battle to acheive victory
4. Know your strengths/weaknesses, and your enemies strengths/weaknesses
5. Attack the intangible elements of an enemy
6. An attack should be like everything against nothing; a defense should be like the mountains themselves

Some of these things don't work for zombies, but some do.

Other

A smattering of other knowledges.

A practiced member of three storytelling circles (seriously, it's either storytelling or playing rpgs for entertainment; and I haven't learned dozens of stories and written notes for dozens and dozens more for nothing). Being a member of actual storytelling circles and knowing how to research, learn, practice and tell stories for an audience is part of why I have a colossal disgust for people who call themselves "storytellers" when they talk about their GMing or campaign writing.

Not being too specialized in anything. I can help deliver a baby just as easily as I can help plan a defense in a siege.

Honestly, I think that I'd survive a long enough time. The real problem would be the people around me or people that I know that live near me. Some of them I could very well kill with out caring, while others I'd do nearly anything to keep alive. So the question would be whether I'd lone wolf it or try to make my own pack and be the alpha.

Finally, I'm far too pessemistic to believe in any sort of evacuation plan. Give me all of the -fu that you want, but I think that such a plan is ultimately fruitless.

I also tend to take everything too seriously. It's partly why I hate most people.
Name kept out of inertia. Thirteen years and counting.