Author Topic: CO Team B: Preparation Thread  (Read 38201 times)

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: CO Team B: Preparation Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2008, 02:03:26 AM »
Edit 2:I don't wanna make any presumptions about the campaign here, but we'll be able to purchase magic items of pretty much any vein, so long as we're in a city with an appropriate price limit, right?  Relics included?  I also take it text trumps table.  Which is why I'd bother taking Seeker of the Misty Isle to 7 (full casting, baby!)

Yes, in general.
Relics are special, you have to find the right people.
Yes, text wins.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

BoSheck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2008, 02:38:24 AM »
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=54540

Suuru Tyelka
[spoiler]Elf (Snow Elf)) Cleric
Medium Humanoid (Elf)
Hit Dice: 1d6+2 (8HP)
Initiative: +1
Speed:  30 ft.
Armor Class: 14 Touch: 11 Flat-footed: 13
Base Attack/Grapple:  +0/+2
Attack: Longsword +3 Melee (1d8+3, 19-20), Longbow +1 Ranged (1d8, x3),
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Qualities:  Immunity to magic sleep effects, +2 racial bonus on saves vs. enchantment spells or effects. Low-Light Vision,
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. Secret Door Sense.
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +5
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 8
Skills: Concentration +6, Craft (Basketweaving) +4 Diplomacy +4, Heal +5, Knowledge: (Arcana, Nature, The Planes) +7, (Religion) +10, (Local) +4, (Dungeoneering) +5, Listen +4, Search +4, Spot +4, Spellcraft +3
Feats: Weapon Focus: Longswordb, Point Blank Shotb, Precise Shot, Skill Focus: Knowledge (Religion), Rapid Shot
Flaw: Elven Pride of Arms, Fussy.
Trait: Absent Minded
Alignment: CG
Languages Spoken: Elven, Common, Orc, Sylvan[/spoiler]

* Edit:  I changed the race to Snow Elf, and moved some abilities around.  I'm gonna go ahead and pick up rapid shot.  I'll look into turning variants, as I don't really have room for divine feats unless we do chaos retraining, and that'd be a long freaking way off anyway.  If anybody in the group objects, lemme know. 
Future feats [spoiler]

Zen Archery (3rd, Complete Warrior),Knowledge Devotion 5th (Traded for access to the Oracle Domain.  oddly fitting.) Spontaneous Domains (6th, Complete Champion), Holy Warrior (9th), Woodland Archer (Maybe?, 12th.  Races of the Wild.  It's a solid feat.), Quicken Spell, and I don't even know for 18th.  I'll think of something fantastic.  I'd like to work True Believer in there around 9 for Bow of the Wintermoon and Milennial Chainmail, but I'm kind of on the fence about that also.    I guess if we do some Chaos Retraining later, I can trade out Weapon Proficiency: Rapier. ^_^[/spoiler]

If I have 'spell slots' open for the War Domain via Spontaneous Domains I can still trigger reserve feats off of them, right?

Possessions: Weapons: 93 GP, Armor: 25 GP. Longbow, 40 Arrows, Longsword, Dagger, Traveller's Outfit, Studded Leather Armor

Spells prepared:
0: Guidance, Resistance, Create Water.
1: Guiding Light, Impede (Complete Champion), True Strike (Domain)

Character background.  Reject at will :)
[spoiler]Suuru grew up in an elven community, in an elven household.  He was neither orphaned, abandoned, nor suffered any particularly tragic or traumatic experiences in his childhood.  He had 2 siblings, and he himself being the middle child kept mostly to himself.  His parents were adventurers back in their time--flashy duelists, and showman who performed mock fights in fantastic circumstances to entertain crowds and themselves.  He was always taught, much like any elf boy, the value of traditional elven sword and bow art, hoping to mold their children in their own image.  Diligent enough, Suuru took these up out of boredom and a desire to please his progenitors. 

During their lifetime Suuru's parents had acquired a rather impressive collection of books, which Suuru spent much of his personal time milling over, studying, and hiding away with.  He would often haul a pack of books to the local temple of Corellon, where he might read in peace and then engage the clergy in intellectual discussion.  A particularly fascinating lot were several stories of the lost 'Misty Isle', a paradise that the forces of evil had hidden away from the elven people in spite.  Times would come when visitors to the church could be overheard discussing this matter, and Suuru was not too shy to butt into the conversation.  Years spent training with parents--who grew frail with age--and at the church blended, and Suuru had moved into a room there in a show of independence.  A member of the clergy he had full access to the temple's library, and kept himself busy researching this 'Misty Isle', and maintaining records on hunts for the mythical place.  Other seekers would come through to discuss informatoin he'd collected and mill over his precious notes.  Suuru was even made a junior member of the order--inducted into their ranks.

Little did he know, that his own search for the Misty Isle would begin soon, when one disasterous night, the temple's archives were raided--his life's work on the matter stolen.  That morning, Suuru gathered his belongings, and bought a new pair of walking boots.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:04:23 AM by BoSheck »

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2008, 02:59:03 AM »
consider the 1/2 human-elf subrace from DMG over any elf race. you get proficiencies without the con hit.  Just my 2 cents :D
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

BoSheck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2008, 03:09:43 AM »
consider the 1/2 human-elf subrace from DMG over any elf race. you get proficiencies without the con hit.  Just my 2 cents :D

Hmm. Well thats a possibility.  I simply chose an elf race (Painted) That didn't hit con.  +2 Dex, -2 Int.  No real change in my point buy level.  I may change it, since I'm seriously leaning toward rapid shot over Divine Spell Power.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2008, 06:38:09 AM »
Hey, which is our setting? Can i get a regional feat? Is race a problem?
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2008, 06:42:02 AM »

Homebrew setting, but feel free to use any setting specific things you need. Regional feats are okay by me. Any race available is fine, although if there's not a published progression for the race and it has a LA, we'll have to work something out  :wink
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2008, 06:46:29 AM »

Homebrew setting, but feel free to use any setting specific things you need. Regional feats are okay by me. Any race available is fine, although if there's not a published progression for the race and it has a LA, we'll have to work something out  :wink

I meant that i don't meet the regional-race requirement of the regional feat. I'm currently a Middle-Aged Dragonblood Desert Half-Orc.

//basically i know i want companion spellbond and i'm trying to figure out the other two feats. I want to avoid greenbound summoning.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2008, 06:51:15 AM »
Can you get the knowledge local requirements for the region. Or is it one of those "race-only" regions, like in UE?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2008, 06:55:07 AM »
Can you get the knowledge local requirements for the region. Or is it one of those "race-only" regions, like in UE?

Region isn't exactly the problem, the restriction to specific races is. I don't have a problem if you don't like it. I was considering magical training or mercantile background from PGtF.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2008, 07:09:57 AM »
For regional feats, I'd rather leave the race restrictions where they stand. Although I'll point you towards the half-orc racial feats in Races of Destiny. Perhaps one of those could be a better choice :wink
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2008, 09:32:51 AM »
I just left the 5th level in because I couldn't think of anything better to go there, but morphic weapons as a free action sounds cool - I don't want to spend a whole round growing claws.

To be fair, Morphic Weapons become a free action with just the Quick Change feat, but taking 5th level Warshaper on top of that makes everything from Changeling changing to Lycanthrope changing a free action as well.

Also, with Morphic Weapons as a free action, you're free (ha-ha) to grow and/or enhance multiples natural weapons, even if you read the ability as normally being limited to one new or enhanced attack at a time. So you can add in one of just about any natural attack, to your limit  (or crescent's :D )of what you feel is reasonable. One gore, one bite, one tail slap, one wing buffet, one slam, two claws, two rakes, one tentacle is where I usually cut myself off (with any I already had being enhanced instead of grown, of course).

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2008, 09:37:53 AM »
Also, with Morphic Weapons as a free action, you're free (ha-ha) to grow and/or enhance multiples natural weapons, even if you read the ability as normally being limited to one new or enhanced attack at a time. So you can add in one of just about any natural attack, to your limit  (or crescent's :D )of what you feel is reasonable. One gore, one bite, one tail slap, one wing buffet, one slam, two claws, two rakes, one tentacle is where I usually cut myself off (with any I already had being enhanced instead of grown, of course).
I plan to do that in the same round as a Greater Kiai Shout and that changeling feat that makes your face scary. Should make any BBEG wet his pants. :lol
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2008, 09:45:56 AM »
I plan to do that in the same round as a Greater Kiai Shout and that changeling feat that makes your face scary. Should make any BBEG wet his pants. :lol

I had a Changeling once who grew 10 (number of NAs you get with all the different types) tentacle attacks out of his hair like that.

I really should get around to updating him to a ToB build for the anime craziness...  :smirk

BoSheck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2008, 11:31:28 AM »

Region isn't exactly the problem, the restriction to specific races is. I don't have a problem if you don't like it. I was considering magical training or mercantile background from PGtF.

+1

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »

What's your proposed limit for Morphic Weapons?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2008, 04:42:58 PM »
What's your proposed limit for Morphic Weapons?
Well, I would have said one gore, one bite, one tail slap or sting, two wing buffets, two slams or claws, two rakes, two tentacles, but I recognise that that is a lot. Tentacles are good because I can get a permanent extend tentacles spell cast on them for another +5ft reach (so if I get enlarged, that's 25ft reach - great for screwing with dwarves)
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2008, 05:08:40 PM »
Okay, so I went ahead and opened up CW and read the ability more carefully.  Here's what I'm seeing. "As a move action, a warshaper can grow natural weapons such as claws or fangs..." & "A warshaper can change morphic weapons as often as it likes..."

From the inclusion of these two sentences, it seems intent (along with the rest of the ability) that it's set on one type of natural weapon, one bite, two claws, etc. However, I'm open to a counter argument if you have one.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2008, 08:14:24 PM »
Okay, so I went ahead and opened up CW and read the ability more carefully.  Here's what I'm seeing. "As a move action, a warshaper can grow natural weapons such as claws or fangs..." & "A warshaper can change morphic weapons as often as it likes..."

From the inclusion of these two sentences, it seems intent (along with the rest of the ability) that it's set on one type of natural weapon, one bite, two claws, etc. However, I'm open to a counter argument if you have one.

Oh, it's set as one type at once, yes.

But Quick Change in Savage Species (unless I have missed something) allows you to use the Morphic Weapons class ability as a free action.

And I did indeed miss something. "Alternate Form" feature specifically is a prereq, though it will affect other shapechange effects. So Changeling can't use it anyway.  :wall

I've been too tired these last few days. Need to get out of this 3rd shift job.  :wall :wall

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Thank you for pointing out things I can do with my evil creations that have Alternate Form  :lol
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2008, 08:21:51 PM »
And I did indeed miss something. "Alternate Form" feature specifically is a prereq, though it will affect other shapechange effects. So Changeling can't use it anyway.  :wall
Changelings can't use Quick Change? There is a racial feat in Roaces of Eberron with the same name which only affects their ability.
My work