Author Topic: CO Game A: Preparation Thread  (Read 56365 times)

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: CO Game A: Preparation Thread
« Reply #180 on: May 24, 2008, 09:30:41 PM »
I agree with jwo.

On an aside, Unseelie Fey in Dragon Compendium have HD: d6 or by character class. So you're not stuck there :P
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

NineInchNall

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: May 24, 2008, 09:39:03 PM »
Is troll-blooded in or out?  I'm happy to stop using it, but I haven't gotten a clear bead on it.
Let's just say it functions as fast healing 1. With the addition that you can reattach body parts. Does that sound okay to people?

As fast healing 1, it's not really even worth the feat investment.  Especially not with the prereq of Toughness and the drawback of being fatigued in sunlight.

I've actually run a game in which the two characters had Troll-blooded as written.  It was quite possibly the best level one-two game I've ever run.

The two characters came upon a group of bandits and attempted to beat them down, only to be beaten down themselves.  The bandits went on their merry way, thinking the pair was dead.  Once our intrepid heroes had regenerated, they tracked the bandits down, put on a bunch of white paint, and scared the crap out of the outlaws.

It was awesome.

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2008, 09:41:45 PM »
I'd want the stat mods too, and I think my build wouldn't work without regen.  Oh well!

4.X for power?!   :confused

I would spend most of every combat UNCONSCIOUS!  After my first action, I'd be nothing but a PUNCHING BAG!  Also, if not awake, I wouldn't be able to designate a NEW ENEMY - which means I can share 1/2 damage of my crit with ONE TARGET and then go unco!  In other words, I'm only able to kill ONE ENEMY per FIGHT - and then only with a team member beating me up!   :confused

Incidentally, the mantis you guys are all cool with does more damage than HALF of a scythe coup de' grace.  And he doesn't need to waste another character's action to do it, either.  Granted, he still has to hit!    :eh

Also, could play my evil orcy charger.  He's kind of fun!  I'd even leave out the Proto-Creature template, if it truly bothers you.  He also deals more than the unseelie fey.   :wink

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not clear what you guys think is or isn't broken, and why.  For me, level 4 means tough, competent, and effective - and a helpful, positive, TEAM player!  By that count, the unseelie fey was actually a bit under-powered . . . she wouldn't have been that big of a help, just more of a flavor/comedy routine. 

But I'll play a tank.  Either an orcy charger or the mantis.  I'll also gladly ditch the Proto-Creature template, if it feels bad to anybody. 

I want to play with you guys!  I want to make a character you like!

I'm trying!  It's just hard to contain my inherent awesomeness . . . <kidding!>

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #183 on: May 24, 2008, 09:42:02 PM »
Is troll-blooded in or out?  I'm happy to stop using it, but I haven't gotten a clear bead on it.
Let's just say it functions as fast healing 1. With the addition that you can reattach body parts. Does that sound okay to people?

As fast healing 1, it's not really even worth the feat investment.  Especially not with the prereq of Toughness and the drawback of being fatigued in sunlight.

I've actually run a game in which the two characters had Troll-blooded as written.  It was quite possibly the best level one-two game I've ever run.

The two characters came upon a group of bandits and attempted to beat them down, only to be beaten down themselves.  The bandits went on their merry way, thinking the pair was dead.  Once our intrepid heroes had regenerated, they tracked the bandits down, put on a bunch of white paint, and scared the crap out of the outlaws.

It was awesome.
Heh, sounds fun. But that's the problem with it. It only works if everyone has it. What would have happened if there was a third player without regen?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

NineInchNall

• I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #184 on: May 24, 2008, 09:43:52 PM »
Then he would have been dead.   I'm not sure I see the problem.  That's like saying there's a problem if two characters in the party survive because they have more hp.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:45:37 PM by NineInchNall »

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #185 on: May 24, 2008, 09:45:29 PM »
I would spend most of every combat UNCONSCIOUS!
That alone is a good enough reason NOT to play an UF. PbP can move fairly slowly sometimes, and itll get really boring if you can't do anything for like a week because you let your sibling coup you. I know it won't do as much damage as the other melee combatants you're throwing out, but at least it'll be more fun for everyone...

I'm trying!  It's just hard to contain my inherent awesomeness . . . <kidding!>
We know. And we thank you for trying to not asplode our brains with your awesome. *Insert Chuck Norris comment*
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #186 on: May 24, 2008, 09:46:26 PM »
Then he would have been dead.   I'm not sure I see the problem.  That's like saying there's a problem if two characters in the party survive because they have more hp.
No it's not. If I coup every member but then you and JJ get back up because you have a feat that the others didn't take, is that really fair? No.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

NineInchNall

• I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #187 on: May 24, 2008, 09:47:38 PM »
Um ... What?  If everyone in the party dies to a fireball except for me because I had energy resistance up, it's the same thing.  A character design choice leads to my survival while others die.  That's what D&D is all about.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:52:08 PM by NineInchNall »

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2008, 09:47:52 PM »
Heh, I think of it like this: you guys got a trick which kills one monster dead at L1, but dazes one character for a ton of rounds, and another for 1-2 rounds.  I think thats a level 4.5 technique!  Particularly at L1.

And I don't want Aftercrescent doing it to us!  So, that's the main reason I'm against it.

JanusJones

« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2008, 09:48:33 PM »
Yay for Crusader Mantis - BIG BUG TO THE RESCUUUUUUE!   :D

You Chuck Norris'd me.  I didn't do anything to deserve that level of respect.

My head as-ploded! 

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2008, 09:55:22 PM »
Um ... What?  If everyone in the party dies to a fireball except for me because I had energy resistance up, it's the same thing.
No. Spells can be dispelled. Ex abilities can't. But that's beside the point. For 1 feat, a character can only be killed by 2 things at low level. Two rare things. Tht's not so for everyone else.  It's about teamwork damnit :P

And I don't want Aftercrescent doing it to us!  So, that's the main reason I'm against it.
:angel :devil

I didn't do anything to deserve that level of respect.
Your DFA Handbook. I still say that is one of the best things ever written on the CO boards :P I took 3 CR 3 DFA lizardfolk and wiped the floor with 4 level 8 PCs. That's awesomeness on a crazy scale.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

JanusJones

« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2008, 10:01:27 PM »
Jeez, mang - THANKS!  I spent a lot of time I should have used to do something else on that - it was a labor of love.   :blush

My favorite DFA moment was when NiN and I were playing two 3rd level characters - one DFA, one Feat Rogue wielding a Rope Dart (15 ft. reach weapon from Dragon #319) with Stand Still.

We killed about 10 orc baddies, most level 3~6.  Then we killed the Dire Bear they had come to awaken.

CR 10 taken out by two ECL 3 characters was a good time, lemme tell ya!

And that was without any crazy templated shennanigans!

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2008, 10:12:14 PM »
See. You both can easily be effective and fun without needing crazy shennanigans. (I love that word. It reminds me of Super Troopers every time)
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

JanusJones

« Reply #193 on: May 24, 2008, 10:50:38 PM »
Yes.  But you have fewer options without crazy shennanigans, and I like variety and flavor.  Playing the same thing all the time gets old quickly. 

NiN has been pretty much playing ONLY Druid and Beguilers for a loooong time now.  Both are crazy powerful when played right, but nobody complains about them.  There seem to be "acceptable" characters with INSANE POWAR, and then a whole bunch of options that get everybody riled up - even though they're actually a LOT less powerful than the "acceptable" choices.

This confuses me to no end.   :confused

Remember when the Warlock was published?  Everybody was all "oooh - overpowered!"  They were wrong, of course, but somehow everybody jumped on the "it's broken!" bandwagon and tried to make up a million excuses for outlawing it.  Odd.   

Oh - and ToB!  Some people STILL act like that book's broken!  As though the power to ALTER THE FABRIC OF REALITY is okay, but repeatable abilities that require attack rolls are just RIDICULOUS, and should be OUTLAWED!   :scared

Or Psionics!  They got tarred with that brush too!  Despite the fact that a standard caster from the base book could eat the face off any Psi character!   ::)

The heart of it, for me, is the Everything Goes Gospels.  I really started that thread to address the "unspoken prejudices" that seem to be everywhere in d20 - even amongst the CO brethren.  For me, the extra splats, templates, spells, etc. from a million different places just allow me to make more interesting characters - something outside of Druid or Cleric.

I mean sheesh - would anybody blink if I pulled out a DMM cleric?  And, as stated, an Entangling Exhalation DFA would be WAAAAY more dangerous than my silly unseelie fey.

But hey - I'm okay with rules and regulations based solely on personal preference.  I think the only thing that riles me is when someone tries to defend outlawed choices as "logical" or "balanced."   :wink

I'll be the bug.  Maybe the orcy charger.  Or heck - all this talk of DFAs has made me wanna play one . . .  :smirk

NineInchNall

• I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2008, 12:10:13 AM »
Here's what I've got so far: http://rustmonster.net/sheet/?view=1395

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #195 on: May 25, 2008, 01:06:10 AM »
Here's what I've got so far: http://rustmonster.net/sheet/?view=1395
What page is Sidhe on? I'm blind tonight and can't find it in Dr339
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

NineInchNall

• I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: May 25, 2008, 01:58:58 AM »
Page 90.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #197 on: May 25, 2008, 08:36:02 AM »
Sweet. Thanks. Found it. Interesting variant. Can't wait to see it you play it. Very flavorful.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #198 on: May 25, 2008, 09:48:05 PM »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

JanusJones

« Reply #199 on: May 25, 2008, 10:06:25 PM »
That's his poison.  Bugger's so lazy he can't be bothered to do his own work - every one of his characters has charm, or minions, or whatever.

Lazy git.