Author Topic: Working on redoing some NPCs  (Read 1800 times)

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
Working on redoing some NPCs
« on: October 07, 2008, 02:28:38 AM »
I'm rebuilding most of the NPCs from my Pathfinder campaign (the adventures not the rules), and I wanted to see if anyone had any insights. The one I'm working on now is the BBEG of the first adventure.

The idea is she's an Aasimar who was in foster care of a priest most of her life. She accidentally got pregnant and miscarried a horribly difigured baby, which, along with some other magical help, drove her off the deep end. She now swears allegiance to the Goddess of monsters and wants to destroy her hometown as an offering to be transformed into a demon.

The group is 6 PCs who will be level 3-4 (hopefully 4) when they fight her. Her build in the book is Fighter 2/Cleric 3, using buffs on herself to fight with a bastard sword (I'm probably changing that to a greatsword, especially since she doesn't have a shield). I'd like to stay close to that, but would certainly be willing to change it if I had a good reason. The domains available from the deity are Chaos, Evil, Madness, Strength, and Trickery (yeah, I know they suck).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 06:54:44 AM by TheChrisWaits »

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Working on redoing some NPCs
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:18:50 AM »
Aasimar are proficient with all martial weapons, so knock fighter off of there. Make it Cleric5. 3rd level spells > feats. A group of 6 against a 5th level character's not even a contest, though, so go ahead and advance her to Cleric7, give her some divine power and power attack.

How do her stats look, buffed and unbuffed? Make sure that she throws a few hold persons out as well as maybe some summons (nothing too heavy though).

Vidar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:10:07 PM »
The reason WHY she sucks, is because she takes exotic weapon proficiency to fight with a bastard sword in one hand, with NOTHING in her left hand. Go figure.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 09:27:13 PM »
Cleric 7 with DMM: Quicken + Extra Turning (try to get 10 turns/rebukes)

Round 1: Quicken Divine Favour, Spiritual Weapon on the mage
Round 2 (if in melee): Quicken Divine Power, full attack
Round 2 (if still range): Quicken Divine Power, Spirit Weapon number 2 on another mage or on the same mage
Round 3: if the party's meleers are still not in melee range with the cleric, then the party deserves to die...

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 11:17:20 PM »
If you want to use a bastard sword, use exotic weapon master and two hand it. But as you said Greatsword is a better choice. It's martial and it's two handed. Seeing how this aasimar is probably evil, I won't recommend Dread Necromancer 1/Cleric X...but if not, go for it.

As for the domains, yeah those aren't the best. However, Complete Champion's domain feats. With those, I'd probably go with...Trickery and Evil and do the devotion feats for those. As far as a build goes...Cleric 2/Monk 1/Master of Shrouds 10/Bone Knight 7? That's really more undead focused than demon focused.

I can't think of any demon prestige classes that are in favor of demons rather than deisgned for demolishing them.

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 06:35:39 AM »
CR 7 is as high as I'm willing to go, and even that is pushing it, considering 6 level 4s are an EPL of 5.2 and they'll probably be on their 4th encounter of the day at that point.

The DMM Quicken idea is a good one, as it should make the fight difficult but not overpowering.