Author Topic: Character and Campaign Prep Thread  (Read 25097 times)

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
Re: Character and Campaign Prep Thread
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2009, 08:23:33 PM »
No, that's not the problem. The problem is that Dragonwrought does not technically require the dragonblood subtype. It requires you to specifically be a kobold. The fact that kobolds have the subtype doesn't really matter. I could see a DM allowing it, but it isn't really RAW.
It is RAW+logic, namelythat it requires dragonblood through requiring Kobold, it even says you lose the dragonblood subtype, not lose it if you have it.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2009, 09:09:31 PM »
No, that's not the problem. The problem is that Dragonwrought does not technically require the dragonblood subtype. It requires you to specifically be a kobold. The fact that kobolds have the subtype doesn't really matter. I could see a DM allowing it, but it isn't really RAW.
It is RAW+logic, namelythat it requires dragonblood through requiring Kobold, it even says you lose the dragonblood subtype, not lose it if you have it.

No. It requires you to be a kobold. It is understood, by reading the Kobold Racial Traits entry under their chapter in the same book, that kobolds have the dragonblood subtype. Dragonwrought, itself knowing full well that normal kobolds are humanoids with the dragonblood subtype, stipulates that by taking the feat at 1st level, your racial trait swaps out the subtype and instead of even writing it down on your character sheet, you write "Dragon" as your type. And while I said before that fluff is fluff, it is still generally understood by reading the dragonwrought section of the racial writeup, that not only are dragonwrought kobolds born that way, their unique nature is generally apparent even before hatching.

Saying that you are "reborn" when you become a Dragonborn means nothing, other than your character is a Dragonborn. Your character gives up being its old race, generally leaving behind its old identity and life, and steps into a new one, that of the dragonborn.

You can't try to use fluff to explain why you're disregarding a different set of fluff.

Now, since Bahamut doesn't exist in Arhosa, the whole serving him bit doesn't apply, but Dragonborn could be explained several other ways. Mostly, I just don't think it's a good idea to try and justify combining dragonwrought and dragonborn. They are two separate, unique racial qualities, both very dragon-flavored and good on their own.

The best way to be as dragon-infused as possible is to emulate them as much as possible. Play a druid aiming for Dragon Wild Shape, or a dragonfire adept or dragon shaman who thinks Dragons are pretty awesome, and wants to be like them (for instance, I'm currently playing my own class fix of the Dragon Shaman, trying to playtest it to see how it stacks up and where it needs tweaking. You can see it in my Sig), including by choosing a dragon type and roleplaying its unique personality quirks. There are plenty of ways to come at this issue.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2009, 03:59:24 AM »
Phaedrus, you are of course, right. I just like pointing out the blatant errors and inherent malfunctions in dragonborn. ;)
edit: woops, sleeping posts are bad.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 04:49:59 PM by AfterCrescent »
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2009, 04:33:30 PM »
Dragonborn specifically says you do not loss your type and subtype I still count as the race I was before, why wouldn't being Dragonwrought carry over?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2009, 04:46:20 PM »
Well, first off, because you aren't allowed to have it. I mentioned this two pages ago and in PM.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2009, 04:54:11 PM »
Alright....

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
Could I have a Raptoran dragonborn?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:50:19 PM by Vinom »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2009, 02:51:19 PM »
Man, I step away for a couple of days and it's shot to 4 pages more. This bodes well for the game. No lack of activity. :D
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2009, 01:14:47 PM »
@Vinom: Yes. But I do not allow swapping feats, retraining, or other features of that sort. Especially not if it would swap out a feat you once used to meet a requirement.
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2009, 01:18:32 PM »
@Vinom: Yes. But I do not allow swapping feats, retraining, or other features of that sort. Especially not if it would swap out a feat you once used to meet a requirement.
Thats quite alright, I'm just after a good airborn martial cleric.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2009, 10:42:52 PM »
Are we allowed to use prestige classes from dragon magazine, spesifically Weightless Foot from Dragon magazine #289?

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2009, 12:07:21 PM »
You'd have to send me the class first.