Author Topic: An idea on multiclassing.  (Read 66291 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: An idea on multiclassing.
« Reply #480 on: October 14, 2008, 06:08:53 PM »
Sunic: Right, 2 of that is your doing, and I have so much reason to believe you. In fact, I have more reason to believe you than I have to believe that the world is round and orbits the sun, which I also only have someone else's word for.
Fail!

It takes 48 hours before a person can modify another's Fu again. Given it is less than a week, 2 or 3 is about as much as Sunic can give you even if he was really after you and wanted to give you several million. Next time, you might want to learn about how things work before you open your mouth. This was discussed in another thread some time ago (the G-Fu thread up in the Metaboard forum, I think?).

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #481 on: October 14, 2008, 06:11:05 PM »
Zero: Point being, one should make sure to clarify that one is using D&D jargon, instead of "are we talking about AfterCrescent or Armor Class?" in every third post.
Context is supposed to be sufficient that in a D&D-oriented thread 90% of the time when talking about a concept, AC is equivalent to Armor Class and 90% of the time when talking about a person, AC is equivalent to AfterCrescent.

As for Dictionary.com: You've a better site? Share, I'd prefer one if there is one.
Didn't say there was a better one, just that linguists think it's shite so you do have to take their definitions with the knowledge that they could easily be wrong, inaccurate, insufficient or incomplete.  Mostly, the two things Merriam-Webster (the basis for dictionary.com) lacks is completeness and connotation which are both pretty vital when trying to use a dictionary as an exhaustive resource.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #482 on: October 14, 2008, 06:14:05 PM »
One thing Elennsar has never been able to state is why Multiclassing is wrong.  He just keeps coming back to "somewhere out there is a character I think is unrealistic, and shouldn't be allowed."  But he can never point to an example of something like that ever used in play, so he hasn't actually seen these created in games that he played in.  Which means he's actually trying to restrict people he doesn't know from playing in a way that they enjoy that he doesn't like.  That's why nothing's gotten off the ground, the goal is wrong.

I'd participate in ways that create things if there was a reasonable goal, but making other people not play the way I think they should play is not a reasonable goal.

So, what exactly needs to be done to multiclassing?  What's the flaw?  What's an example of what's wrong?  If it's just "I think someone out there is having fun in a way that's different from how I want to have fun" then we should leave it the heck alone.  If a new thread is started (and yes Elennsar, we can ignore you.  You've got your own thread that ignores everyone else, remember?), the first thing needs to be establishing the all important why which is the critical step to any design process.  Let's see exactly what the problem that we need to solve is, then solve it.  Solving before we have a problem just fixes things until they're broken.

JaronK

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #483 on: October 14, 2008, 06:19:33 PM »
If there was a way to do it other than Paypal (and it isn't worth fussing with that to do it),  I would bet that all of the negative is Sunic and a few others being douchebags.

Can't check (unfortunately...this is a feature that I'm not sure why it works as it does), but I'd be willing to bet on it.

I've had up to (positive) 3 or maybe 5. I don't think falling is a result of suddenly changing as a poster, I think its a result of people who can be dicks about it being enabled to be dicks without any checks, balances, restraints, or any other method of not abusing the entire goddamn point of the system.

Fu as a "You have someone who likes picking on you." is as stupid as fu as a "you have someone who likes kissing your feet."

Humans being what we are, pure objectivity is probably out, but the way its done now, its set up to be antiobjective.

Have it so the mods (appointed as actually qualified individuals as much as possible) and only the mods can change it, but anyone can vote for "+1 fu" or "+2 fu" or "-2 fu" with the system as now.

Much better.
Actually, your fu rises by 1 whenever you start a thread. (I'd been wondering for a while how many people noticed that).

2) If a complete jerk who is liked by others posts a good idea, it is accepted. If a person who is disliked by others posts an idea, whether it is good, bad, or in need of work rapidly becomes irrelevant.
There was OneWinged4ngel. He was greatly respected for having plenty of good ideas, but rubbed a lot of people the wrong way (I had no problem with him, for the record). He got banned for reasons I am not particularly clear on. I really don't recommend asking a lot of questions about what happened - it's kind of a touchy subject around here.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
« Reply #484 on: October 14, 2008, 06:25:33 PM »
1) Yes, but what context something is in is not always obvious. Often? Yes. Always? No. Glossaries are a beautiful thing.

2) Acknowledged. If and when someone comes up with something better I'll replace it. Until then, I'll treat it as equivalant to wikipedia...a convenient quick reference but not a subsitute for something better (because in any given specific case there probably is).

So...moving on, or not moving on, that is the question. Whether it is better to ramble on various things, or stick to the project of the thread...to take up pencils against a sea of typos, and by erasing, end them.

Yeah. Stupid as an albino croc in the swamps, but it had to be said to clear my thoughts.

Jaron: First, I'm not saying "can't ignore me". I'm saying "ignoring me because you're not trying to understand what I'm proposing is a bad idea." My thread is "if you're not interested in this project, then this thread has nothing to do with you." There's a difference between saying "people who don't care for X need not apply" and "stay out ____."

As for the problem:
The problem is that multiclassing means that "I am a paladin." for instance means absolutely nothing whatsoever. Even if the class isn't gimped (a seperate problem).

And it should. Being a paladin should mean "There are things that I can do because I'm a paladin that only other people who are paladins can do."

Otherwise, you have essentially a clumsy substitue (due how Nina, for instance, gets medium/heavy armor even though they have nothing whatsoever to do with why she was gaining fighter levels) for a classless system.

Why have classes if they're not providing actual distinctions that mean "I am a Barbarian. I can do things because I am a Barbarian that not just anyone can do."

Now, as stated by Frank, there ought to be a good sized "general anyman" abilities, that anyone sufficiently qualified can take, but a Monk is not a Bard. Monks know kung fu. Everyone else can hit people unarmed, but only a guy who knows kung fu can kill you with his pinky and ki for instance.

Honestly, to use someone's (I forget who) example unarmed bear loving barbarian, that in order to do that he has to be a monk and a barbarian...just because the unarmed and such stuff is not available to barbarians...sucks.

If you don't want "I'm a Paladin." to be a statement with great meaning, then it would be a lot easier if there weren't classes to group out different kinds of abilities to begin with.

There is something wrong with "I want to be able to rage." meaning a whole seperate I-don't-care-for-this has to be tacked on as part of gaining the ability to rage if it is meant as "sure, anyone can do it".

Prime:

1) Interesting. Sounds like an excuse for starting a lot of threads. I'm not sure if that's monitored, but just while musing, it seems like an easy abuse (since -supposedly- fu is meant to measure "quality', not "quanity", of work.)

2) Sufficient to say, ugly all around? Alrighty.
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #485 on: October 14, 2008, 06:32:07 PM »
Would you like a system like this, Elennsar?

Character features

Wizard training (5 points/rank)
You can cast a limited number of 0-level and 1st-level spells. Every additional rank you place in this ability, your caster level increases by one. For every two ranks you place in this ability after the first, the maximum level of spells you may cast increases by one.

Paladin training (5 points/rank)
You may create a detect evil effect at will and smite evil once per day. For every rank you possess in this ability, you gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls.
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #486 on: October 14, 2008, 06:35:48 PM »
Not exactly.

More like Diablo II's each-class-has-a-set-of-abilities.

Better than that, in various ways, but that sort of "being an X gives you Y."

And as stated, a universal "any fool can do Z" list.

Having the ability to talk to people without pissing them off is not a class ability.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #487 on: October 14, 2008, 06:47:32 PM »
Actually, your fu rises by 1 whenever you start a thread. (I'd been wondering for a while how many people noticed that).

Ah!

That explains some things.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #488 on: October 14, 2008, 06:48:30 PM »
Not exactly.

More like Diablo II's each-class-has-a-set-of-abilities.

Better than that, in various ways, but that sort of "being an X gives you Y."

And as stated, a universal "any fool can do Z" list.

Having the ability to talk to people without pissing them off is not a class ability.

Once again: 4.0

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #489 on: October 14, 2008, 06:49:14 PM »
Once again: No.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #490 on: October 14, 2008, 06:50:28 PM »
Aannnndddd he manages to pull me back in, thanks to the mention of my creation of awesome: the Kung Fu Bear.  And no, you don't have to be a monk/barbarian to do that.  A barbarian will suffice.  Monk/barbarian is better though.  Now I want to ask another question: why does it suck that you'd have to multi-class?
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #491 on: October 14, 2008, 06:53:19 PM »
You know what is so hilarious about all this? He goes and describes his personal system pick (Diablo II) and then refuses to consider the one system which is actually *based off D2*. Seriously, that is just so WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #492 on: October 14, 2008, 06:57:40 PM »
Ah, you. Forgot who it was.

Too oddball and interesting an idea to forget even while forgetting the guy whose character it was.

Okay.

What exactly from the monk class did he need that's "not available from the barbarian class"?

To use the KFB in particular, it sucks to have lower BAB and lower hit points and not have armor (any armor) as an option (without compromising monk abilities), to name the first three things that come to mind.

I'm reasonably suer that the KFB managed to handle skills reasonably well, though that may also be "Argh."

Andy: I refuse because "based on Diablo II" to the extent I would say that's a good thing and in the ways WotC did it, particularly given other issues with 4e (disassociated mechanics for the burn-you-mother-fucking-morons lose).

I like d6s more than d10s, but I've reasons I don't want to play GURPS for every possible character I want to come up with. Legend of the Five Rings is better for some, for instance.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #493 on: October 14, 2008, 07:00:09 PM »
I forgot to add that if D2 is your ideal system, then 3.5 is not for you. Period.

Try WoW. The computer MMO.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #494 on: October 14, 2008, 07:02:17 PM »
Again: No.

Diablo II is an example, it is not "my ideal system".

Personally, in regards to what it set out to do and how well it appears to do it (haven't had the chance to play), Legend of the Five Rings (roll and keep, not d20) appears to be one of the best.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #495 on: October 14, 2008, 07:05:03 PM »
There was OneWinged4ngel. He was greatly respected for having plenty of good ideas, but rubbed a lot of people the wrong way (I had no problem with him, for the record). He got banned for reasons I am not particularly clear on. I really don't recommend asking a lot of questions about what happened - it's kind of a touchy subject around here.

Meg actually did a post explaining that.  It was pretty clear, and he was asking for it (no really, he asked to be banned, so they did).

Elennsar: ToB already has that Diablo II style groupings of abilities.  It's been done.  Is that what you've been wanting?  Being a Warblade gives you access to higher level Iron Heart manuevers, but you can pick from a large set of abilities.  Being a Swordsage lets you pick from a set of abilities, and only Swordsages can have the higher level Shadow Hand, Setting Sun, and Desert Wind manuevers.

Also, Fighters have that, leading up to the Figher only (well, Warblades too, but they're the Fighter replacement) Weapon Supremacy.

And Rangers, with their unique spells (just ignore Archivists for the moment) and their three style options (TWF, Archery, Wild Shape).

So, that's what you wanted?  

Jaron: First, I'm not saying "can't ignore me". I'm saying "ignoring me because you're not trying to understand what I'm proposing is a bad idea." My thread is "if you're not interested in this project, then this thread has nothing to do with you." There's a difference between saying "people who don't care for X need not apply" and "stay out ____."

Everyone in here tries to understand you, and realized you were wrong about a lot of stuff.  Then your thread was "people who accept my basic premise can post" and most folks ignored it.  You may not have realized it, but your basic issues are wrong, in the minds of a lot of people.

As for the problem:
The problem is that multiclassing means that "I am a paladin." for instance means absolutely nothing whatsoever. Even if the class isn't gimped (a seperate problem).

Why is it bad that having the Paladin mechanics do not mean you have to say you're a paladin in game?  Or that you can be an in game "Paladin" without taking the class levels?  Maybe your character concept was that you wanted to be a Lawful Good champion of righteousness, and liked the idea of Paladins in general, but didn't want that particular rules set, so you wanted to use Crusader instead because that felt more like how you wanted to play.  Or maybe you thought Paladins should be more connected to their dieties, so you prefered Cleric.  Why is that wrong?  Again, all you're saying here is that people should play the way you want.  But they shouldn't.  They should play the way they want.  You can play a Paladin and be a pure Paladin, and that's no problem, so what you want already exists... it seems your only problem is that what other people want also exists.

And it should. Being a paladin should mean "There are things that I can do because I'm a paladin that only other people who are paladins can do."

Yeah, you've got a set of abilities that only Paladins have.  Okay, that already exists.  So what?  Are you saying that because they're your abilities, no one else should be allowed to come at it from a different angle?  Again, this boils down to "nobody else should have my abilities" but I don't see why it's bad for people to be able to chose, for example, to have the charisma bonus to saves without divine casting.  Maybe my concept was a charismatic arcane tank.  Paladin won't cut it, but being so charismatic that I can turn aside spells with my force of will sounds cool... hey look, Hexblade!

Otherwise, you have essentially a clumsy substitue (due how Nina, for instance, gets medium/heavy armor even though they have nothing whatsoever to do with why she was gaining fighter levels) for a classless system.

It's not that clumsy.  It's just clumping together abilities in (theoretically) balanced manners.  You want Wizard spells?  Okay, you don't get armour proficiency.  You want lots of skills?  Okay, you can chose the following mechanical clumps:  Bard, Factotum, Rogue, Scout, Ranger, Cloistered Cleric, Expert, CA Ninja, Swordsage.  Which of those options best works with your character?  Pick it.

And it works.  It works great in fact.  Maybe if Nina didn't want those armour proficiencies she should have picked Martial Rogue for her bonus feats.

Why have classes if they're not providing actual distinctions that mean "I am a Barbarian. I can do things because I am a Barbarian that not just anyone can do."

Because they help inspire imagination, for one thing.  Here's how I see the character creation process happen all the time.  A new player comes up to me and says "I want to play, but I don't know what to play."  I say, "okay, well, which is most appealing: having the mundane skills to deal with whatever situation pops up, being awesome at hitting things with weapons, or casting spells?  You can pick multiples if you want, but let me know your favorite."  They say (well, this is what happened last time) "I want to be able to do logical things in a given situation, so I guess skills."  I say "okay, skills.  Here's some options.  You could be a Bard, and have a little magic and musical abilities.  You can be a Factotum, and be super adaptable to any situation.  You can be a Rogue, and have sneaky attacks that do more damage, etc."  And they say "oh, Factotum sounds great!"

Now, if it were totally classless, that process would get FAR more complex for a beginner.  You'd have to sit there looking at hundreds of possible first level abilities all randomly picked.  By grouping them together into classes, it's pretty easy to narrow down what you are.  But by allowing free multiclassing, you CAN get exactly what you want if you want... or you can just stick with one class and that works pretty good too.  This really helps with character creation.  Also, once we've decided on a class that fits the person somewhat, I can show them the class and it inspires their imagination.  "Oh, I can do this too?  Hey cool, then that means I can..." and this sets them on a good path.

Now, as stated by Frank, there ought to be a good sized "general anyman" abilities, that anyone sufficiently qualified can take, but a Monk is not a Bard. Monks know kung fu. Everyone else can hit people unarmed, but only a guy who knows kung fu can kill you with his pinky and ki for instance.

Yeah, Frank has some stuff I REALLY don't agree with.  Still, every man does have access to craft and profession, if that helps any, and everyone can hit someone with something (just not well).  And Monks aren't Bards... they're quite different.  Now, there are multiple ways to play "guy who knows kung fu" including Unarmed Swordsages, Monks, Shou Disciples, and so on.  All of them require a "kung fu" class, really, or a magic item that helps with that.  So... that already exists.

Honestly, to use someone's (I forget who) example unarmed bear loving barbarian, that in order to do that he has to be a monk and a barbarian...just because the unarmed and such stuff is not available to barbarians...sucks.

Finally you pick an example!  And as always, it's wrong.  Unarmed Varient Swordsage with a specialization in Tiger Claw manuevers.  You got your rage, you got your savagery, and you got your unarmed strikes.  Nothing to it.  Or how about Druids, who can fight without weapons and love bears just fine?  Now, it might be more fun to be a Barbarian/Bear Warrior, but that's what PrCs are for.  Or if you really wanted, you could be a Barbarian with Improved Unarmed Strike and Superior Unarmed Strike, and be done with it.  See?  Works fine.  And of course if you want to multiclass you can do this... which is the point of multiclassing to begin with.  Got anything else you don't know how to make?  Just ask.  

If you don't want "I'm a Paladin." to be a statement with great meaning, then it would be a lot easier if there weren't classes to group out different kinds of abilities to begin with.

It has an in game meaning, which is the Paladin fluff.  It has great meaning.  But without the classes you lose a LOT.  And that's bad.

There is something wrong with "I want to be able to rage." meaning a whole seperate I-don't-care-for-this has to be tacked on as part of gaining the ability to rage if it is meant as "sure, anyone can do it".

Not anyone... anyone who also has X abilities.  They're grouped, in theory for balance, but also to make life easier on the players.  

But most importantly: you know how people kept telling you to go play 4e, and you took it as an insult?  It's not.  4e does that Diablo II style class thing.  What you're suggesting is 4e.  Go play it.  Play it now.  Try it out and see what your system is like in practice.  Then you'll understand.

JaronK

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #496 on: October 14, 2008, 07:09:41 PM »
But most importantly: you know how people kept telling you to go play 4e, and you took it as an insult?  It's not.  4e does that Diablo II style class thing.  What you're suggesting is 4e.  Go play it.  Play it now.  Try it out and see what your system is like in practice.  Then you'll understand.
Just send him an email. I make no suggestions for the content of this purely hypothetical email. :sh
My work

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #497 on: October 14, 2008, 07:12:01 PM »
Andy: I refuse because "based on Diablo II" to the extent I would say that's a good thing and in the ways WotC did it, particularly given other issues with 4e (disassociated mechanics for the burn-you-mother-fucking-morons lose).
Obviously, you can house-rule whatever you want, but I seriously think you might have an easier time fixing 4.0 to suit your tastes than fixing 3.5.  It's not meant to be an insult or anyting.  It's just that the way 4.0 represents classes and class-specific abilities is a lot closer to what you're talking about than 3.5.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #498 on: October 14, 2008, 07:14:14 PM »
Why is it bad that having the Paladin mechanics do not mean you have to say you're a paladin in game?  Or that you can be an in game "Paladin" without taking the class levels?  Maybe your character concept was that you wanted to be a Lawful Good champion of righteousness, and liked the idea of Paladins in general, but didn't want that particular rules set, so you wanted to use Crusader instead because that felt more like how you wanted to play.  Or maybe you thought Paladins should be more connected to their dieties, so you prefered Cleric.  Why is that wrong?  Again, all you're saying here is that people should play the way you want.  But they shouldn't.  They should play the way they want.  You can play a Paladin and be a pure Paladin, and that's no problem, so what you want already exists... it seems your only problem is that what other people want also exists.

JaronK
I think this is the root of the problem. Elennsar cannot seem to understand that people like freedom of choice. To him, it is "This is x. That is it. Anything else is wrong." For example: A paladin has Turn Undead. Anyone who thinks that a paladin is a warrior of honour and chivalry and all that is just wrong. They should not be playing a paladin. I will make a system that will prevent them from using the holy, revered paladin name for their wrong builds.

He refuses to believe that he can be wrong. He refuses to believe that he is being a tyrant by forcing everyone to conform to his narrow views of what is what. He gets ultra-defensive when someone tells him that his way is wrong and starts adopting the martyr stance.

Woe is me...!

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #499 on: October 14, 2008, 07:23:24 PM »
Let's see:
Threads started-32
Fu-8
Net fu recieved from people- Negative 24

I think I've recieved the most net negative fu of anyone here.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.