Author Topic: BG arena?!?!?!  (Read 14453 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: BG arena?!?!?!
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2008, 11:44:49 PM »
Wait, templates are allowed?  Dude, my Commoner is going to destroy all of you.  You'll see!

JaronK

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2008, 12:34:47 AM »
Templates currently aren't allowed.  Only Dragonborn.  I wish to change that, but I'm going to be careful about that.  At least, unless it's been changed, and in that case, I fear the commoner.

A hidden sub-forum would be useful, yes.  Not sure if it's necessary.  Now, I think conversation will be key to accepting homebrews, especially systems and classes.  Feats and spells not so much.  One thing I do know is that it would be annoying to do that ArenaManager thing.  The problem Tshern pointed out.  Thing is, is not locking the thread going to be a problem?  I mean, if not we can just have a separate stickied thread for ref talks about homebrews.  Though that hidden sub-sub-forum does sound nice...
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2008, 12:42:45 AM »
The only problem with not locking the thread is that anyone can comment in it...
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2008, 01:05:29 AM »
Is that a bad thing necessarily?  I don't really know how it'll play out if we do this in an open thread.  It was just an option.  What you think of it?

Right now options include: IM, PM, locked thread used by ArenaManager only, locked thread used by high refs only, hidden subforum, and open thread.  Personally I like the hidden sub-forum.  It will give the high refs a place to talk out of the view of the public.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2008, 08:27:55 AM »
It will give the high refs a place to talk out of the view of the public.
And of course laugh at the losers and come up with devious plots for others.

Handy Links

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2008, 02:42:36 PM »
Okay, I'll try to catch Meg and see what her thoughts are.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2008, 04:46:37 PM »
I've started some threads, but I'm not sure what to fill them with...
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2008, 05:43:23 PM »
I finished up the waiting room.  I got rid of all the maps that I either couldn't contact the creator of or hated with a passion, but if you guys think we should add some back in speak up.  Currently it's just the Dawn, Temple, and Barnyard ones.  We do need more maps though.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2008, 06:01:46 PM »
What about this one? ;)

EDIT: Hosted
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:10:45 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2008, 06:07:13 PM »
Could you make that an image and host it somewhere?

Also, I've added the unchecked homebrews post, and added all the homebrews so far.  I also changed the Recruiting thread a little bit to get some guidelines for submissions, including a clause that it must a) be hosted here (a thread about it), and b) must have a link posted in the recruiting thread.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »
So, what steps do I have to through to get Sanguine changed from "Unchecked" to "Checked. Too weak."? :-\ Do I have to clear it with at least one of you guys first?

Oh, and check my class too. :D
My work

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2008, 06:27:37 PM »
I have no idea.  I'm just putting it there because that's where it belongs.  I just realized I forgot something though.  I forgot to put the reason(s) it's not in the "allowed" section, same with Jaron's and....Strat's? characters.  Only with the Current Gladiators section.  And the rounds under construction.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2008, 06:37:37 PM »
IIRC I have some maps lying around too. I'll see what I can do.

Handy Links

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2008, 06:51:53 PM »
After looking at that map: Oh dear gods no.  It would be impossible to find the enemy.  Maybe if it was a 1v1v1v1 match it might be good.  But as is (assuming it takes a standard or move action to open doors) it will take a minimum of 2 rounds for combat to even start, assuming they even go directly towards each other.  Perhaps that would just be one of the exhibition only maps.  Otherwise it just reminds me too much of that Halo (I) multiplayer map that uses the portals for movement almost exclusively.  Chiron something I think.  I hated that map with only two people.  And from experience, it is hard enough to find the enemies on the GitP ones as it is.  I mean, the Sinking Island took something like 5 rounds to see the opponent once.

Also note: maps should allow for any style of play.  Hiding, beatsticks, magic, etc., and should not favor one over the other by much, if at all.  That way, it's more the players doing battle than the maps.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2008, 07:27:02 PM »
Alright, what about this version then? (The red squares are lava)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:29:11 PM by Prime32 »
My work

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2008, 08:02:40 PM »
Let's see how it looks if you eliminate the two areas with the breakable walls.And the paths up to them.  Row 7 and above, and 20 and below, but keeping E and F 20, and T and U 7.  One more thing: grid the whole thing.  Easier to calculate where everything is.  Maybe fill in I/J 12/13, and Q/R 14/15.  Gives another route for running without filling up the map.

But something to keep in mind: you don't want it to be all open, so sneaks can function as well.  But you don't want to make it so that they dominate either.  This one still has a problem for sneaks: no real cover points.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2008, 04:06:05 PM »
'nother map.

The red-outlined sections rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise each round at initiative count 0. Anyone who falls into empty space is teleported 20ft. above the nearest platform.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
My work

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2008, 05:20:07 PM »
I would be willing to help by contributing my small amounts of skills. (Pretty much manual labour, making links, etc.)
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2008, 05:47:05 PM »
I went through Sanguine quickly, and Blood-stained armor was the only one I found overpowered. Perhaps one of the other refs could give it a read as well. Also, blame me on the ArenaManager's new avatar.

Handy Links

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2008, 06:38:11 PM »
Oh dear lord!

I'll give the Sanguine a read through later today.  First, I need to address a couple non-arena related issues.  Then: we need titles.  See the waiting room ref post for what I'm talking about.