Author Topic: BG arena?!?!?!  (Read 14452 times)

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
BG arena?!?!?!
« on: October 03, 2008, 10:16:24 PM »
So yeah.  I was thinking of starting up an arena here for the purposes of playtesting the Avatar project located here, but then I thought that all homebrew systems could benefit from it.  So I thought I would go ahead and start an arena, but there is a problem: I need DMs.  Lots of them.  In order for the DMs to also play (one of the goals) I'll need a bunch of them.  So consider this an open casting call.  As a DM you'll still get to play, btw.

Also, I'll need to set up the threads, but I'm not really sure if out here a recruiting thread and then in a sub-forum the waiting room.

This will use a chassis similar to the GitP arena, but I'm well open to discussion on changing some base rules.  Namely LA buy-off, especially for the higher level ones, LA races in general, and other things.  The purpose of this is to playtest the Avatar classes, and also other homebrews, so I kinda want to lower as many random variables as possible.

So: who's interested?  Who wants to help DM?  Who has ideas on how to make it better?  Who has ideas on a process to allow other homebrews in?  Who has ideas on things that need to change to the GitP chassis to allow the introduction of homebrews?  And finally, any houserules that would go along well with this sort of thing?
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: BG arena?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:28:50 PM »
One thought that comes to mind is, if we have enough interest, I'm sure Meg would be open to giving this its own forum, like the PbP and the Playtime areas. So you could end up with a stickied thread for DMs, one for Characters (for reference), one for rules, and one for DM/PC pairing. Then they can just start their own thread for the arena. Thoughts?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 10:33:01 PM »
Well, that would be awesome...but I'm not sure if it would require its own forum.  Would the traffic dictate the need for a new forum.  I think a gauging of interest would be necessary before that decision is made.

What do you think needs to change from the GitP arena rules?  First thing that does need to change: the sources open to homebrews.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 02:14:25 AM »
I want to join to test my homebrew stuff (but of course can also help with other people's homebrew)...

Question: can a DM throw a homebrew opponent against a player?

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 02:40:08 AM »
I'm not sure exactly how it's going to go down.  It's probably going to be PvP, like the GitP arena.  The only problem with that is unbalanced classes being pitted against each other (wizard vs monk, for instance).  And the fact that not all homebrews will aim for the same power level, and it can get messy.  but, assuming people aren't going to try to get Pun-Pun out of it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also: the more homebrew vs target power level class matches, the better.  And, this will also serve to get classes out there for building characters.  I know I see things when building characters that I miss when I review them.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 02:02:54 PM »
I'd be willing to join the DMs (after all, I tried this kind of thing before).

I could use this opportunity to playtest my Chozo Warrior class, but I'd prefer if someone else ran the character - they'd be more likely to think of strategies I didn't intend.

As for giving this its own forum, it could be a subforum like "PbP Games" and "Retired PbP Games" and it wouldn't take up much space.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 02:07:13 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 09:16:50 AM »
I could be a total DM as I have no particular interest to battle anyone. If volunteering is still open, count me in.

Handy Links

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 11:51:57 AM »
Of course it is.

Tshern: I'm going to make you a High DM since you aren't playing.
Prime: same thing, only this time because you have experience being one.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 02:57:12 PM »
Great idea, Prime. We can totally just add another subforum for the PbP Arena...  As for the rules, Dman, I'll try to read through them and get some ideas tomorrow. Got my RL D&D session today, so that cuts that out. ;)
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 05:09:16 PM »
Tshern: I'm going to make you a High DM since you aren't playing.
Hooray! Power! Abuse!

Arhem, I mean I could probably develop myself a referee alter ego and only do in character talk while judging a duel. Me and Prime could have a lot of good cop-bad cop talk.

Handy Links

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 05:26:06 PM »
Well, there's a character concept I'd like to try out too, but it requires an, er... open DM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qyN9uAjDEU
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:00:50 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 05:49:17 PM »
I'm your man then.

Handy Links

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 12:49:54 AM »
Well, there's a character concept I'd like to try out too, but it requires an, er... open DM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qyN9uAjDEU

[spoiler]It involves awakening a gauntlet guardian familiar, and a dragonborn half-minotaur incarnate construct warforged.

Having thought about it more, it might work better with a feral barbarian cohort...[/spoiler]

I am SO waiting for this fight!!!!
GO GO GUREN!!  :D

Ahem.

I guess I will try one of my homebrewed PrCs (just have to finish the fucking fluff <_<)....

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 12:53:21 AM »
Before homebrews are allowed into the arena I need a system for allowing them into the arena, so we don't get any Lightning Warriors or Failsauces (no utter failure class comes to mind, so this).  Also, it would be a good idea to state what your class is supposed to be balanced against, so we can match them with appropriate classes.  This is part of the reason I haven't started this thing yet.  What say you, fellow high refs?

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 11:19:57 AM »
I'll be quite happy to lob in a bunch of my Homebrew classes to play around with, and assist in any other way.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 04:22:17 PM »
Before homebrews are allowed into the arena I need a system for allowing them into the arena, so we don't get any Lightning Warriors or Failsauces (no utter failure class comes to mind, so this).  Also, it would be a good idea to state what your class is supposed to be balanced against, so we can match them with appropriate classes.  This is part of the reason I haven't started this thing yet.  What say you, fellow high refs?

I did once try to start a committee of rules experts to weed out the reasonably-balanced homebrews from Sturgeon's masses, but, well... I only got two applicants, and one of them was OW4. -_-'
My work

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 04:45:43 PM »
I'd be willing to give you some assistance in that matter if you wanted to try again Prime.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 05:19:10 PM »
I of course would provide my services.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 08:23:55 PM »
If someone wants to come up with a CR 81 monster or encounter I could try my Lucifer. J/K...

Handy Links

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 09:22:59 PM »
General rules. Okay. Although, perhaps put a caveat that a high ref doesn't have his ability when participating as a player under another high ref.

Pre Match - All good here.

During a Match -
Standard Guidelines: The first one needs to change. Once a match starts, no changing. I shouldn't be able to reprepare my spells because you suddenly went invisible for your first action.

After a Match - How do you determine XP/GP?... Nevermind, I see it.

I think there should be separate Tournament Tiers. Tier 1 to 5. And when you submit a class for homebrew approval (which should happen before you make a character) you suggest a level. High refs discuss it (probably via PM, AIM, or something, although posting could work, just slower). And then a verdict is rendered. That's the tier of the tournament you fight in. So if I want a tier 5 vs tier 5 comedy match, my friend and I could do it. Something like that?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook