Author Topic: [Self] my story tell me what you think...  (Read 4070 times)

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
[Self] my story tell me what you think...
« on: October 02, 2008, 04:36:07 PM »
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

AngelBlade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: [Self] my story tell me what you think...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 07:42:58 PM »
What I think...

Ok, my qualifications to critique... None, other than the fact that i read a lot.  : )  So take my pointers for exactly what they are... just my opinion.

i think you have a solid story. The Marcus twist was nice, but I think that maybe you sprung it a little early, coulda used a little more buildup.  : )

I would work on characterization a little bit more. Find a way to make each character stand out a little more as an independent entity with his/her own motivation. I don't think you ever said what anyone really looks like.

So those are my two main pointers and or opinions.  : )  Enjoy.

AngelBlade

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 04:45:20 PM »
any other thoughts form anyone else?
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 11:12:50 PM »
I'll get back to you with a extensive review later. Right now it's 3 in the morning and I should get some sleep.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 11:51:51 PM »
Hooo boy, this'll be a long one.

Anna walked into the tavern looking around slowly with her dark blue eyes. She smiled as she took a seat at the bar counter. The bartender looked at her as he was wiping a glass clean.

Your sentence structure is a bit dull, but it's a style thing. I'm used to the swamp of commas (TM)

Let be give another example. Picture frame 1: Open the door.
Frame 2: See the man
Frame 3: He turns around
Frame 4: She comments on his presence. Note that so far, we have no indication that she has moved from the doorframe.
Frame 5: she hugs him. Now suddenly they're hugging, the distance between them dissapeared. It's like pulling the rug from under our feet when trying to picture it.

Using the exact same sentence structure here "looking out the window" makes it repetitive.
Besides, now he has turned around again. Or is he still standing towards her and turning his head towards the window?
I don't know.

That's telling, not showing. There's a difference. Ellaborate this. Some remark of her posture, her tone. Obviously the topic merits her reaction, but what I'm getting is that she doesn't trust this man to tell her the truth. Why should he lie?
Is there a history here, is the topic sensitive?
We don't know.

"And because of that, I think, is why you have a price on your head"

Wrong structure.

"And because of that, I think, you have a price on your head"
"I think it's because of that, that you have a price on your head"

Slightly repetitive. You don't always have to end a sentence with the speakers name, you could substitute the last "Anna" with "she".

Again, single pictures, no flow.

Obious remark, you're lacking a question mark.

There are multiple guys here, yet only one description. You say they look mean, but no hint how.

Change of tempus, it's in past tense so it should be "had his hair in a pony tail" nor "has his hair in a pony tail".

"At the end of the earring hung the mark of the Trades Guild, which is shaped like a small globe".
This right here is info-dumping.
Something to consider instead:
"At the end of the earring hung a small globe, the mark of the Traders Guild."
Too many "which" spoils any story. Same with too "and then".

Wouldn't hurt to give a picture wether or not they actually looked up when she spoke or not. For all I know, they're still staring at the map.

I like the exchange of words here. What's its name?
Dialogue, that's it, Dialogue.
But the scenes keep skipping frames.

Not much to say that I haven't allready said.
This seems more like a document of ideas what will happen, a sketch if you will, than a finished product.

She looked at the key to see what room it belonged to. On the key the number 28 was inscribed. She smiled as she headed upstairs to room 28.

Repetitive. Just "upstairs" will do, no need for the "to room 28".

She used the key to unlock the door and then pushed it open.

With a risk of sounding like an asshat:
No shit sherlock?
What else would you use to unlock the door with?

"She unlocked the door and pushed it open".

Remeber what I said about too many "and then"?

Good. :D

She walked into the small bedroom looking around. She then lay down on the bed and fell asleep.

"Mmm, I seem to have four walls and a ceiling, no dead corpses that I can see. Good, let's go to sleep".
Ellaborate her actions a bit, what's in the room?

A few hours later she woke up to the sun coming in through the window. She stood up looking around the room.

Nothing strange about that, she seems to like to look around without noticing anything.
With such a quick glance yesterday, no wonder she have to do it again [/irony]

She headed down stairs look around the now empty tavern before heading out side.

If I'm not misstaken, downstairs and outside are spelled just like that, not "down stairs" or "out side".
You're missing a "to" in her endless effort "to look around".

Right as she stepped outside she smiled glad to be home again.

Despite the prize on her head?
Sure, I can buy that.

She headed over to Nakhon Kasem, home of the majority of merchants and traders in the city. She smiled looking around feeling at home.

She seems awfully relaxed and unbothered for someone who came back because someone wants her head. If she carry on that sort of thing she'll be in trouble in no time.

She went from booth to booth looking at the goods and people. She walked up to a booth that had pots and pans for sell. Before she could speak, she felt the tip of a knife pressing against her back. Her eyes went wide in fear.

At least she composed herself quick enough. Maybe there's hope after all.

Huh?
What do you mean?
I don't honestly understand what you're trying to say here.

The kick knocked the attacker to the ground causing the other shoppers and merchants to back away from the fight.
            Anna knelt down beside her attacker and pulled back the hood revealing a young girl, who appeared to be about the age of 17 or 18.

I take it the attacker is unconcious?
Otherwise, keeling down to unmask a knife-armed person who just threatened to stab you doesn't strike me as the best of ideas.

The girl opened her eyes wide with fear, shocking Anna into moving far enough away to let the girl get up and run off with a bruise on her face from the kick.

And suddenly regains conciousness. Which startles Anna. I can buy that. The term "wide with fear" is becoming hackneyed. (now that what you have a dictionary for. What a strange word.)

She likes looking around?
Guess what, it's getting a bit repetitive ;)
Also, I suggest... well I can't spell it but it looks like this at least.
Italicized I think.
"keeping" is not correct.
It should be ",keep" or "and keep".
Finally, shouldn't it be "I" not "we"?
Or are you trying to make him fake the number of people that's currently present?

First of, there should be a comma between smiled and recognizing.
Secondly, as a matter of taste, I think "She smiled as she recognized the man" sounds a lot better.

I might as well mention it here, since it doesn't really matter. Nowere in this section do we get a description of how he looks, besides his clothes. Scratch that, the tunic and the cloak. Does he have any pants? :smirk
What color?

Can you now?
Nothing in her attitude betrays she have the assumed training and mental skills of a "commander" with these "Rangers".
You're not doing a good job making me belive they know what they're doing.

Report?
To whom?
You've got a great plothook here to continue the conversation so we get to know who ordered it.
Or if she knows, give an indication, some thought of hers, that makes us belive she does.
Then we wish to continue reading, so we can find it out.
I assume it's to the "Ranger HQ" for a lack of a better term, but should we pay any attention to this?
You've got a small hook here, use it :D

No comma. Italicized or bold text for the name is an idea.

Now we're getting somewere. This is more to my liking, more text, nice flow, the details that makes all the important differences.

Fireplace and someone.

No "to" in "return here".

I think it should be half-sister, I'm not sure.

Scratch "back" in "came back to her".
Redundant word.

Should be "the city" not just "city".

her face?
DId Anna have her cloak covering here face?
Or is it the stranger, that seems to be a male.

Either way, I'm confused.

Nothing to complain about here, that I haven't allready mentioned.

She just sat down?
Giving away the mental higher ground she just took by ignoring his rank?
Ok.
She could sit down cautiously, irritated, quitely or a myrriad of other ways.
Body language betrays intention and feelings.
It's a powerfull tool, use it.

Ok, now I'm really confused.
Does she like this dude?
There was menacing vibes in the air until a few seconds ago and nothing indicated that she had changed her mind.
The note about there was no imidiate violence on the horizon doesn't diminish the fact that it could blossom at any time.
Even more likely if you're after some sort of "Elite-squadron" that these "Rangers" seems supposed to be.

No indications whatsoever in her tone whether or not this guy is "the enemy".
My impressions jump from one point to another in litterally no time at all.
This is bad.

She got a small amount of "bad-ass points" for her threat, but looses them and goes down into the negative "bad-ass zone" for her worried tone.
If she's not really worried but playing him, indicate this by having her thinking someething that describes this.

Seems good, old loyalities.

Now he's the bad guy. Unless he is joking. If that's the case, a small note of his smile or something will betray that it's a joke and not a threat.

Well she found it funny at least. That's something.

Now he's good again. This jumping around makes my head spin.

Again, asshat warning:

Really?
No shit, why else would you ask if you weren't hoping for the truth?
I told you to flesh it out, but this situation is the reverse one.
Redundant statment, drop it.

/he Tobias finished saying.

Reduntant text in red.
Alternative in green.

Ok, it's settles. He's a good guy for now.
And see, she can't sit down for tive minutes. What you are doing is substituting plot for action.
Or rather, details and background for contineous movement.
You're so focused to get going on the next thing that you rush your reader through everything.
It will end up with them having read everything, noting nothing and caring even less.
Please do something about it.

, unless, me or Marcus gives her a

Reason?
Reason for what?
"her reason for comming there".

Why Marcus?
What context does that question have here?
I'm confused again.

I'm not even sure angrily is a word. If it is, it sounds ridiculous.
Try frustrated. Or upset.

Anna asked looking around.

You don't always have to mention who sais what.

Ok, they pull their daggers. No reason why (yet). No indication why (yet). BUT. No description of how, if you write "He pulled the dagger after a glance towards the door, Anna not far behind with hers" or something, your setting the stage for the action. Because:

/drawn incase any trouble started/incase of any trouuble.

This just snuck up on me.
Either you do as I mentioned before, or you say something about it beeing to late, because the rangers hadn't been detected in time for Anna and Marcus to do something about them.

As it is, I'm reading one picture frame and you're not even jumping ahead to the next one, you're changing it as I'm looking at it.

for me too

Reduntant part in blue.

One very good thing though, which I think bears repeating, is that you have nice dialogues.

! You sold me out!star of honor

Star of Honor should be in captial letters.
Red part indicates yelling and screaming should use an exlamation mark.

haha, I broke the maximum lenght... 40000 characters.
[Spoiler]
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 11:52:31 PM »
Seething with contempt. - I like. This is varation, using "fancy" words to color the text.
We approve :D

Decent, but too many names and to little variation here.
Not allways neccessary to state who's talking.

No comments.

They walked up to another wise unremarkable house.

How can a house be wise?
It's not sentinent last time I checked.
Of course, it could mean something else aswell, that I don't know.

Anna knocked on the door,looking around to see if they had been followed by anyone. The door/peering out at them.
   "Oh, its you." Shaun said as he opened the door to let them in.
They walked in looking around taking seats in front of the fire place.

If you're going to insist mentioning that the look around, please use another term.
It gets very hackneyed.

"Shaun, we need a place to stay." Anna said.
   "I kind of figured that after hearing about your arrest for crimes against the state."

Word spreads fast. At the rate your revealing things, the time that have passed since they were arrested 'til they got here isn't even five minutes. This is also a side effect of you constantly pushing the story forward as quick as you can.
The timeframe gets seriously whacked out of place.

No idea what to do?
At all?
The credibility keeps dropping.

As she was laying down on the bed, she stared up at the ceiling thinking, I wonder if Marcus was the one that put the price on my head. She then closed her eyes drifting off to sleep.

She woke up to the sound of laugher coming from the living/dinning area of the small house.

Never. Ever. EVER. use a "/" in a written piece, unless it's a report or scientific book.
For drama, fantasy, sci-fi, horror and all the others, it's banned.
Don't use it. Never.
Thank you. :)

What's with these people?
Everybody is standing up to leave all the time.
Now the same repeating action is bordering on getting annyoing.
I doubt I'll have to point out that's bad.

Does it really matter where she sits?
Now she's at the seat next to Tobias, why bother standing up again and changing chair?
Unless she wish to park her buttocks on a chair that's allready warm. ;)

Also:
Colons are not welcome.
They're not banned on sigt, but they're not welcome. Not ever.

"and Alexis has issued the order that you are to be taken into custody, dead or alive".

Or something like this.

Well, decisive action. Credibiltiy goes up again. Not much, since she had no clue what to do just the day before.
I can't see how enough changes have happened to alter that situation.

What could Shaun be doing with so many weapons[/color]; Anna thought to herself as they headed out of the city. [[/i]

Corrections in red.

Anna shook that last thought away with by moving out of the back of the wagon to sit next to Tobias.

away with by moving... something tells me this isn't written how it's supposed to.

Care to take a guess what I'll complain about here?
If you guess:
One second they're in the wagon, at the house.
The next, they're deep into the forrest, where the cannopy and growth changes.

Then you guessed right.

Tobias nodded as she caused the horse to pull the wagon to the right.

Who's driving?
Shouldn't it be "as he" or did she take the reins?
Cumbersome sentence, uneccessarily long.

"Tobias nodded, as he pulled the horse to the right".
"Tobias nodded and pulled the wagon to the right".
Etc.

There's to many "to" in to short of a timespan.

As soon as they pulled off the main road, they were surround by several people wearing dark green cloaks and holding swords.

Whoho. Action.
I don't care.
Without suspense, action is really boring, it's no different from reading about someone frying eggs.

*whimper*
No... please don't make it this easy for her to convince her.
It's not like her name is top secret, she got kicked out of the Rangers, out of the city and have a bounty.
It's a stupid qualification question. Period.

*sigh*
Yepp, since they know it, why shouldn't anyone else do?

/leapt both.,

Yey, stuff happens. By now I don't care. Honestly.

What The information we seek is why are you attacking caravans again after so many years and what does this have it has to do with a the will remain unmentioned

Here's some more enviromental description, I like.

And they were there for... 35 seconds?
Stop pushing it.

They went out of the tent thru a side entrance.

No. No. No no no no.

Not "thru". It's "through".

This sounds harsh, but by now I'm really annoyed by the lack of proof-reading and spellchecking.
It's disrespectful against the reader, it wastes my time, it makes you look like an idiot (which I doubt you are, honestly) and...well there's enough reasons for you right there.

/eavesdrop back.-R, after that it depends on if whether, that

Nothing to say really.

She he asked ,

Whee-heee.

No surveilance?
This story is filled with idiots.

-then watched as Tobias entered the city. She then looked around wondering to herself, now how do I get in. She started walking,

Redundancy in blue.

wondering what she was going to say to Alexis once she go to her.

Tempus change.
"wondering what she was going to say to Alexis once she got to her" I assume it should be?

Soon she came upon a tree that stood about 20 feet high. She jumped up grabbing a hold of the lowest branch and pulled her self herself up. She kept climbing until he was even with the wall. She then jumped form from the tree landing on the city wall. She then looked around (*sigh*)to make sure no one had seen her. Satisfied that she had not been seen, she jumped to a nearby roof top rooftophead quarters headquarters. She was almost there when she looked down and saw Marcus walking with Sol at his side heading in the same direction she was going. She stood there wondering if she should drop down and surprise both of them or keep going. She decided to follow them using the roof tops to keep out of sight. She kept as close to the edge as possible without being seen.

Stop repeating yourself. The last "Ranger house" is so not needed, it's rooftop, the second "Ranger house" could be described with some other form of word.

She then started to look around trying to remember if there was roof access or not. She soon found the trapdoor on the roof. She started to pull it open hoping that no one was down below guarding the ladder.
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 01:35:43 AM »
OUCH! but I guess I was asking for it

Considering that i used Microsoft's word processor and spell checker and Tobias is a female character and I've also had a friend of mine who's gone on to a job as an editor at a company in the San Fran area look this over.

and you caught a typo that i hadn't noticed its meant to be "an other wise unremarkable house"

AngelBlade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »
ROFLMAO!!!!

I can't believe Shadowhunter's critique was like twice as long as the story itself.  : D  ha ha ha. I know trappedslider asked for opinions, but grammar and punctuation? LOL

Anyways, thanks for the laugh. : )

Trappedslider - Shadowhunter seemed to have a lot of good points. Don't get discouraged. : )  Just write more and more and more, have people edit and critique and go with what feels right.  : )

AngelBlade.

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 02:58:44 AM »
I'm surprised it wasn't brought up here,but it has come to my attention that Tobias is a male name,despite my using it as a female name and so now I am searching for a new female name for that character,any ideas?